Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,459 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:53 AM

FIFA Remembers Sunday Oliseh’s Stunner On June 13th At The 1998 World Cup - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / FIFA Remembers Sunday Oliseh’s Stunner On June 13th At The 1998 World Cup (29036 Views)

Sunday Oliseh Delighted With Fortuna Sittard Promotion / Fortuna Sittard Relief Sunday Oliseh Of His Duty "Over Abysmal Action' / Sunday Oliseh Appointed As Head Coach Of Fortuna Sittard (Dutch Club) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FIFA Remembers Sunday Oliseh’s Stunner On June 13th At The 1998 World Cup by ManTiger(m): 9:44am On Jun 14, 2016
Kanu had 3 one on one chances with Denmark keeper and failed to convert them. That year world cup featured many big stars like Sand and Tomasson of Denmark, Carlos Dunga, Roberto Carlos, Edimilson, Denilson, Roberto Baggio, Rivaldo, Ronaldo of Brazil, Emmanuel Petit, DeasaiLly, Theirry Henry, Zenedine Zidane of France. Raul of Spain, Milan Baros and Pauleta of Portugal (The only man with 5 goals from a single match in World Cup), David Seaman, Paul Scholes, Mac Mannaman, Michael Owen (was 16 years old then) Andy Coal, Mark Wiltord, John Terry of England! Perhaps my best Fifa world cup tournament ever watched on a black and white television with a standby plant (generator was called plant then). Memories!!!
How time flies... cry
Re: FIFA Remembers Sunday Oliseh’s Stunner On June 13th At The 1998 World Cup by slap1(m): 11:36am On Jun 14, 2016
360jamng1:
wow!
we've lost a legend
Mugu grin
Re: FIFA Remembers Sunday Oliseh’s Stunner On June 13th At The 1998 World Cup by replete(m): 11:37am On Jun 14, 2016
360jamng1:
wow!
we've lost a legend

You see your life?
Re: FIFA Remembers Sunday Oliseh’s Stunner On June 13th At The 1998 World Cup by EverestdeBliu(m): 12:17pm On Jun 14, 2016
dominique:

They only marked the 18th anniversary of the goal, is that too much?
I taya oo
Re: FIFA Remembers Sunday Oliseh’s Stunner On June 13th At The 1998 World Cup by Revolva(m): 12:24pm On Jun 14, 2016
Best goal ever
Re: FIFA Remembers Sunday Oliseh’s Stunner On June 13th At The 1998 World Cup by leestryder: 12:39pm On Jun 14, 2016
360jamng1:
wow! we've lost a legend
Too much of weed is not good..na u kill am?
Re: FIFA Remembers Sunday Oliseh’s Stunner On June 13th At The 1998 World Cup by Safemode(m): 1:01pm On Jun 14, 2016
tuoyoojo:
this was one of the most fantastic goals ever

they kept showing the replay as though they didn't believe the goal was real

they said ball was travelling at a speed of 162km per hour ( I still remember)

this was Nigeria's golden age in football

those guys played their hearts out

not this present bunch we have now

are u for real. 98 guys were not 100% committed. d major thing presently wrong wt dz present generation is lack of talents.

1 Like

Re: FIFA Remembers Sunday Oliseh’s Stunner On June 13th At The 1998 World Cup by IGWISE(m): 2:04pm On Jun 14, 2016
Isoke
Re: FIFA Remembers Sunday Oliseh’s Stunner On June 13th At The 1998 World Cup by esejessy(f): 2:59pm On Jun 14, 2016
BornnAgainChild:

We've lost a legend ke.....is he dead already or na u wan kill am
I tire oooooo!
Re: FIFA Remembers Sunday Oliseh’s Stunner On June 13th At The 1998 World Cup by vislabraye(m): 3:21pm On Jun 14, 2016
CzarRex:
that awkward moment when FIFA realised that Life is too Short

so they decided to honour the living while he is still alive

hope this not a sign of impending death

grin . I hope you no be prophet of doom.
Re: FIFA Remembers Sunday Oliseh’s Stunner On June 13th At The 1998 World Cup by Bollove: 3:36pm On Jun 14, 2016
akinalabi:

The Denmark game was second round.

They rested players against Paraguay and lost but still qualified for the second round against Denmark who promptly dispatched us 4-1
Sir, I want to ask a question, please pardon my ignorance

Can one account get suspended on nairabet for consistent winning without any form of violation of games rule ?

I heard/read some bookies sometimes limit stake, suspend or close account of consistent winners, does this also happen on nairabet too ?

Kindly reply sir !!! thank you.
Re: FIFA Remembers Sunday Oliseh’s Stunner On June 13th At The 1998 World Cup by BornnAgainChild(f): 6:30pm On Jun 14, 2016
esejessy:
I tire oooooo!

Hehehehe
Re: FIFA Remembers Sunday Oliseh’s Stunner On June 13th At The 1998 World Cup by BornnAgainChild(f): 6:32pm On Jun 14, 2016
captianfreeman:
I tire.!
Lol.....
Re: FIFA Remembers Sunday Oliseh’s Stunner On June 13th At The 1998 World Cup by BornnAgainChild(f): 6:33pm On Jun 14, 2016
iamfroshsylver:

Abi ooooooooooo.....help me ask him

Na I'm I dey ask am oo....e no gree ansa.....hehehehe
Re: FIFA Remembers Sunday Oliseh’s Stunner On June 13th At The 1998 World Cup by durasome(m): 7:07pm On Jun 14, 2016
360jamng1:
lalasticlala mynd44 seun

From a losing position, Nigeria grabbed a 3-2 win over Spain courtesy a stunning long range shot from Sunday Oliseh that left Spain goalkeeper Zubizarreta perplexed 12 minutes from time. Nigeria later exited the tournament after losing 4-1 to Denmark in the second round. Watch the goal after the cut…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtTnQ6ZgAdc

Source: http://timenaija.com/fifa-remembers-sunday-olisehs-stunner-goal-on-june-13th-in-the-1998-world-cup/
.good old days when we use to have a super eagle.
Re: FIFA Remembers Sunday Oliseh’s Stunner On June 13th At The 1998 World Cup by femi4: 10:39am On Jun 16, 2016
adioolayi:

Thanks..can't remember vividly... but I think they were thinking we will be having a very superior opponent after Denmark...Brazil..not sure, hence some key players didn't start Denmark Match...I think Rashidi Yekini was rested...he came on as a substitute
Yekini wasn't rested, he wasn't a starter in 1998.
Re: FIFA Remembers Sunday Oliseh’s Stunner On June 13th At The 1998 World Cup by femi4: 10:47am On Jun 16, 2016
adioolayi:
Losing to Denmark was so hurting.... our overzealous coaching crew resting key players for second round when dem never qualify.

Modified: For those quoting me...yes..it was second round against Denmark...But For those who can remember... Bora rested Yekini, The Bull and Babangida anticipating a very though Quarterfinal Match against already qualified Brazil. ...and he lost Denmark match by so doing
Nobody was rested against Denmark. Yekini was never a stater in 1998. He was a subtitute, even from the first game against Spain.Victor Ikepa was our top striker ( being the Africa footballer of the yr in 1997).
Also Babaginda can't be a starter in a squad that had Finidi George.

We only rested players in the third match against Paraguay where we lost 1-3. Players like KANU, Oruma, Babangida started that match
Re: FIFA Remembers Sunday Oliseh’s Stunner On June 13th At The 1998 World Cup by robosky02(m): 11:00am On Jun 16, 2016
360jamng1:
wow!
we've lost a legend

I you ok

please we have not and will not lost him now
Re: FIFA Remembers Sunday Oliseh’s Stunner On June 13th At The 1998 World Cup by femi4: 11:15am On Jun 16, 2016
ManTiger:
Kanu had 3 one on one chances with Denmark keeper and failed to convert them. That year world cup featured many big stars like Sand and Tomasson of Denmark, Carlos Dunga, Roberto Carlos, Edimilson, Denilson, Roberto Baggio, Rivaldo, Ronaldo of Brazil, Emmanuel Petit, DeasaiLly, Theirry Henry, Zenedine Zidane of France. Raul of Spain, Milan Baros and Pauleta of Portugal (The only man with 5 goals from a single match in World Cup), David Seaman, Paul Scholes, Mac Mannaman, Michael Owen (was 16 years old then) Andy Coal, Mark Wiltord, John Terry of England! Perhaps my best Fifa world cup tournament ever watched on a black and white television with a standby plant (generator was called plant then). Memories!!!
How time flies... cry
Milan Baros is from Czech republic

No Portugal in France 1998

Oleg Salenko scored 5 against Cameroon in USA 94

1 Like

Re: FIFA Remembers Sunday Oliseh’s Stunner On June 13th At The 1998 World Cup by ManTiger(m): 1:33pm On Jun 16, 2016
femi4:
Milan Baros is from Czech republic

No Portugal in France 1998

Oleg Salenko scored 5 against Cameroon in USA 94

Thanks for sharpening my memories.
Re: FIFA Remembers Sunday Oliseh’s Stunner On June 13th At The 1998 World Cup by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jun 21, 2016
akinalabi:

The Denmark game was second round.

They rested players against Paraguay and lost but still qualified for the second round against Denmark who promptly dispatched us 4-1

Good Afternoon Sir.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Neymar 'faces Seven-game Ban' While Gonzalez Could Get 'ten-match Suspension / Calabar Tragedy: We Tried To Stop Our Husbands From Going To The Viewing Centre / Ronaldo Gives Manchester United The Lead With Awesome Hat-Trick (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.