Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,006 members, 7,814,433 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:50 PM

Oil Deal: Woman Bags Two Years Jail Term. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Oil Deal: Woman Bags Two Years Jail Term. (525 Views)

Reps Invite Former President Jonathan To Testify On Malabu Oil Deal Probe / Malabu Oil Deal: I Didn’t Ask Anyone To Collect Bribe For Me – Jonathan / Dana Air Gets International Safety Certification….bags Two Awards In November 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oil Deal: Woman Bags Two Years Jail Term. by nex(m): 7:08am On Jun 14, 2016
A Federal High Court in Abeokuta, Ogun State has convicted and sentenced one Memunat Mohammed to two years imprisonment for dealing in Premium Motor Spirit, otherwise known as petrol, without lawful authority.

Mohammed was arrested on December 8, 2015 in the Mowe area of Ogun State, during a raid by operatives of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps.

The convict was said to have been found in possession of 21 jerry cans each containing 50 litres of PMS, which she kept in her house.

She was arraigned by the NSCDC before Justice Adamu Mohammed on charges bordering on dealing in PMS without lawful authority.

The prosecuting counsel for the NSCDC, Mrs. Uzoma Telma, had claimed that Mohammed acted contrary to Section 1(17) (a) (b) of the Miscellaneous Offences Act Cap M17 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004 and was liable to be punished under the same law.

The prosecution also tendered several exhibits, including the 21 jerry cans each filled with 50 litres of PMS as well as the confessional statement of the convict, which the court admitted in evidence against Mohammed.

In a judgment on April 19, Justice Mohammed said he found the testimonies of the three prosecution witnesses credible, noting that the testimonies were not refuted by the defence.

Source: http://www.barbaric.com.ng/oil-deal-woman-bags-two-years-jail-term/
Re: Oil Deal: Woman Bags Two Years Jail Term. by PiccoloBrunelli(m): 7:14am On Jun 14, 2016
Dah heck? Isn't this a "normal" business in Nigeria?
Re: Oil Deal: Woman Bags Two Years Jail Term. by Nobody: 7:18am On Jun 14, 2016
Did she steal the PMS? If she didn't, I don't see why she should be treated like a criminal.
There are black market dealers everywhere in Lagos, they keep our generators on whenever there's fuel crisis, albeit at a higher cost. . .

I would understand if her arrest was centered around the possibility of a fire breakout, but they made no such comment. . .
Re: Oil Deal: Woman Bags Two Years Jail Term. by nex(m): 11:24am On Jun 14, 2016
@BlackBerlin

She is a black market dealer who has been caught, and is being punished. Of course, not all criminals can be arrested, but those who are, must face justice.

It is easy for the black marketers in Lagos to escape arrest because they storm the streets with one or two jerry cans which they can easily prove to be for personal use. Tens of 50 litres jerry cans however, no one can convince a court it is for personal use.

As a matter of fact, the Mowe area is known for the special brand of black marketers who get their products from vandalizing pipelines in that area. I'm sure that the law enforcement agents were unable to prove the suspect's involvement in pipeline vandalization, so they settled for "Illegal Dealing In PMS". You actually need a license to do this, otherwise, it is a crime.

(1) (Reply)

LASG Inaugurates Advisory Council On Prerogative Of Mercy / See Every Woman's Dream / Kogi My State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.