Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,076 members, 7,825,397 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:15 PM

Annkio Briggs, Denies Condemning Niger Delta Avengers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Annkio Briggs, Denies Condemning Niger Delta Avengers (656 Views)

South Must Push For Referendum Before 2019 - Annkio Briggs / Niger Delta Activists; Annkio briggs– Dissociate South South From Biafra / Annkio Briggs And Others Attacked By Thugs In Bayelsa. PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Annkio Briggs, Denies Condemning Niger Delta Avengers by STFUand4kMeHARD(m): 11:17am On Jun 14, 2016
A rights activist, Annkio Briggs, has denied a report that she condemned the activities of the Niger Delta Avengers, saying she “will never oppose anyone agitating for the development” of the region.
Ms. Briggs was reacting to a report published on PREMIUM TIMES on Monday which suggested she had criticized the group while speaking at a forum in Enugu, the Enugu State capital, on Sunday evening.
The report, sourced from the News Agency of Nigeria, also quoted Ms. Briggs as saying that the Avengers, a group that has claimed responsibility for multiple attacks on oil and gas installations since February, are from Somalia.
But in a telephone interview with PREMIUM TIMES on Monday night, Ms. Briggs denied making the statements attributed to her, saying the comments had earned her widespread condemnation.
“I can tell you categorically that I never condemned the Niger-Delta Avengers because doing so would mean I am condemning those agitating for the development of my region,” Ms. Briggs said. “I only pointed out the hypocrisy of the federal government that said Fulani herdsmen came from Libya but Avengers are Ijaw.”
“I said if the government could claim that the Fulani herdsmen are from Libya, why can’t they say the Avengers are from Somalia because of the pirates activities in that country? Why were they so quick to label the Avengers as being Ijaw people? And is Ijaw the only ethnic group in the Niger-Delta?” Ms. Briggs queried.
PREMIUM TIMES has requested clarification from the News Agency of Nigeria.
Ms. Briggs said although she “had no idea about the identities of those calling themselves the Avengers”, she had continued to urge them to embrace dialogue with the Nigerian government.

“It is wrong for anyone to suggest that I will condemn the Avengers when I don’t even know them. I only know that they’re fighting the plight of the Niger-Delta people and I have called on them to cease the attacks and come to the table for dialogue.”
Ms. Briggs said the Avengers’ decision on Monday to move closer to talks by giving conditions for dialogue with the government, was “a welcome development” because “it showed that they can toe the path to a peaceful resolution of the age-long crisis”.

Source:

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/205245-rights-activist-annkio-briggs-denies-condemning-niger-delta-avengers.html

Re: Annkio Briggs, Denies Condemning Niger Delta Avengers by madridguy(m): 11:18am On Jun 14, 2016
Ok
Re: Annkio Briggs, Denies Condemning Niger Delta Avengers by TippyTop(m): 11:19am On Jun 14, 2016
Kudos to Anikio Briggs for setting the records straight.
I've been to NDA website to read their mission statement, I agree with every word.
The tactics of NDA may be unconventional, but we don’t live in a conventional country.
Re: Annkio Briggs, Denies Condemning Niger Delta Avengers by Slikbae: 11:28am On Jun 14, 2016
That's my lady

This lady speaks life. True Niger Deltans can never condemn anyone fighting for True Federalism, tho we condemn bombings.
Re: Annkio Briggs, Denies Condemning Niger Delta Avengers by DoyenExchange: 11:46am On Jun 14, 2016
The fear of the ND-A is the beginning of wisdom

1 Like

Re: Annkio Briggs, Denies Condemning Niger Delta Avengers by papayeye: 11:52am On Jun 14, 2016
I 2 gbadun diz woman. She get sense, no B small.
Re: Annkio Briggs, Denies Condemning Niger Delta Avengers by papayeye: 11:56am On Jun 14, 2016
TippyTop:
Kudos to Anikio Briggs for setting the records straight.
I've been to NDA website to read their mission statement, I agree with every word.
The tactics of NDA may be unconventional, but we don’t live in a conventional country.
E be like sey you wan make Nairaland give you Small holiday. You no know sey as you show say you dey gbadun those scatter scatter boiz, na kia kia diz people wen deir hand dey scratch dem for diz place, go take comot you. Or you be learner.
Re: Annkio Briggs, Denies Condemning Niger Delta Avengers by omenka(m): 12:06pm On Jun 14, 2016
Since Modath gave some dude a lethal uppercut, he's been behaving like a very good child- guess the shiit's yet to wear off. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Annkio Briggs, Denies Condemning Niger Delta Avengers by TippyTop(m): 12:16pm On Jun 14, 2016
papayeye:

E be like sey you wan make Nairaland give you Small holiday. You no know sey as you show say you dey gbadun those scatter scatter boiz, na kia kia diz people wen deir hand dey scratch dem for diz place, go take comot you. Or you be learner.
I don kukuma prepare for any holiday when dem wan give me.
Re: Annkio Briggs, Denies Condemning Niger Delta Avengers by joeprince23(m): 12:20pm On Jun 14, 2016
Lagos-ibadan express media with their propaganda
Re: Annkio Briggs, Denies Condemning Niger Delta Avengers by Decodedp: 12:47pm On Jun 14, 2016
Kudos to you ma', for setting the records straight. Anyways some of us already know that part of the unconventional mandates of the NAN is to twist facts in favour of government desired narrative. Thanks also for independent media outfits like premium times who from time to time give opportunity to get the other side of the news.

(1) (Reply)

Let’s Split Nigeria Into Six, Three, Or Two? By Abdulwasi’i Ilyas. / . / How Long Will The Next Governor Rule

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.