Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,583 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:29 PM

The Fastest Cafe I Have Ever Known(about 600kbps Download Speed!) - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / The Fastest Cafe I Have Ever Known(about 600kbps Download Speed!) (4670 Views)

What Is Your Average Download Speed? / What Is The Fastest Download Speed You've Ever Encountered? / Let Me Teach U How To Increase Download Speed Of Utorrent By 1000% (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Fastest Cafe I Have Ever Known(about 600kbps Download Speed!) by skydancer: 6:00pm On Aug 29, 2009
Downloading in UNN cyber with my laptop.

Re: The Fastest Cafe I Have Ever Known(about 600kbps Download Speed!) by tunde300us(m): 8:15pm On Aug 29, 2009
Is it the enugu campus ie UNEC. I was at Afrihub sometime early this year and was able to get that much too,but it was in the night oh.There is no cafe that can pay for dat amount of bandwidth even if na intercontinental dey bankroll am lipsrsealed
Re: The Fastest Cafe I Have Ever Known(about 600kbps Download Speed!) by init4dmoni(m): 9:35pm On Aug 29, 2009
go to speedtest.net and test it
Re: The Fastest Cafe I Have Ever Known(about 600kbps Download Speed!) by Mavor: 10:14pm On Aug 29, 2009
There is something suspect with your claim. How can you be downloading a 700MB file for over 30 min at 700kb/s? It should take around 20 min or even less
Re: The Fastest Cafe I Have Ever Known(about 600kbps Download Speed!) by init4dmoni(m): 10:44pm On Aug 29, 2009
mavor if you ever download with idman u'll know that when the speed spikes suddenly, the time lags (i.e takes some time to catch up)
Re: The Fastest Cafe I Have Ever Known(about 600kbps Download Speed!) by Mavor: 11:26pm On Aug 29, 2009
I use IDM well, anyway that speed is awesome. The highest I've ever gotten was 973kb/s back in school those days(Ife)
Re: The Fastest Cafe I Have Ever Known(about 600kbps Download Speed!) by mattfeuter(m): 3:18am On Aug 30, 2009
Poster, Dis is very slow
Re: The Fastest Cafe I Have Ever Known(about 600kbps Download Speed!) by mikesleek(m): 7:34am On Aug 30, 2009
That much speed in a cyber cafe? Probably 1 hour should be 1500 naira
Re: The Fastest Cafe I Have Ever Known(about 600kbps Download Speed!) by Rikimaru: 12:58pm On Aug 30, 2009
The pictures are legitimate. You can also get up to 1000kbps + on the MTN 3g modem at midnight
Re: The Fastest Cafe I Have Ever Known(about 600kbps Download Speed!) by skydancer: 2:05pm On Aug 30, 2009
The Cafe is in UNN nsukka. UNN cybercafe, but I can bet it is 10 times faster than Afrrihub and even cheaper. In fact I hate Afrihub, they block downloads with their software and the changed the explorer shell of the system to a different one making it hard to use
Re: The Fastest Cafe I Have Ever Known(about 600kbps Download Speed!) by skydancer: 2:11pm On Aug 30, 2009
@Mavor: Forget the time transitions in IDMAN. It is not always correct, but I don't even need you to believe me, coz I am not gaining anything from that.
Re: The Fastest Cafe I Have Ever Known(about 600kbps Download Speed!) by Mavor: 2:17pm On Aug 30, 2009
Na u sabi. me sha dey look forward to the day somebody hacks that stupid 3GB monthly limit thing on MTN, then I will purchase it. God punish them. An insider told me that it's some top Igbo boys in MTN who convinced mgmt to institute the stupid thing. 3GB for pete's sake. If it was 10GB at least that will be reasonable. Can't people file a petition to MTN? Only God will help us with the bandwidth wahala in this country. Even Ghana here are far better off.
Re: The Fastest Cafe I Have Ever Known(about 600kbps Download Speed!) by skydancer: 4:42pm On Aug 30, 2009
I thought it had always been 10GB. I haven't used it before though
Re: The Fastest Cafe I Have Ever Known(about 600kbps Download Speed!) by tunde300us(m): 5:48pm On Aug 30, 2009
I still stand on my argument that u wouldnt get that much during the peak periods of the day cos what i suspect is tht the cafe is sharing from a pool of bandwidth with other cafes and when those other cafes shut down,then u might get that much.
Do u know how much 1MB of bandwidth cost with vsat?and for u to get 900kbps on the download alone then we must be looking at around a 4Mb subscription for download alone and maybe 2Mb on the upload and that in total gives about 6Mb.No school can afford that much man.
And on a professional note,i think it is crazy to allow that much bandwidth per system,maybe na mechanic be dem system administrator grin
Re: The Fastest Cafe I Have Ever Known(about 600kbps Download Speed!) by Mavor: 5:52pm On Aug 30, 2009
Omo when it comes to Internet, Ife no be ordinary school o!!! Ife as a whole is on a 10MB connection with plans to get more last I heard. And the 900kb/s was during weekend/off-peak time. A foundation abroad pays for the bandwidth the school uses.
Re: The Fastest Cafe I Have Ever Known(about 600kbps Download Speed!) by tunde300us(m): 6:02pm On Aug 30, 2009
Men i finished from ife too and i think ure correct about the bandwidth size and even the download speed,but my last comment was to the poster.But i dont think any foundation is paying for the bandwidth in ife oh,the much i knew was that they pay via a conglomerate of other universities in africa and because it is in large volumes they get significant reduction.Dis info is straight from an INTECU source.
Re: The Fastest Cafe I Have Ever Known(about 600kbps Download Speed!) by Mavor: 6:05pm On Aug 30, 2009
Oh, I never knew that. Thanks for the correct info. Makes sense
Re: The Fastest Cafe I Have Ever Known(about 600kbps Download Speed!) by tunde300us(m): 6:12pm On Aug 30, 2009
But men i doubt if u will get that much again cos the policy of allowing so much bandwidth to one system has been stopped and a more stringent one now in place,but as a whole i think IFE REALLY IS GREAT
Re: The Fastest Cafe I Have Ever Known(about 600kbps Download Speed!) by Mavor: 6:15pm On Aug 30, 2009
Yeah, I heard that most downloads are at a measly 10kb/s now.
Re: The Fastest Cafe I Have Ever Known(about 600kbps Download Speed!) by skydancer: 8:19pm On Aug 30, 2009
10kbps is crazy.

@Tunde: It is not owned by the school on the contrary. It was built by Soludo but that doesn't mean he is the manager either. Maybe if you come there one day. You will confirm it. We were only three in the cybercafe when I was downloading it(coz it was a saturday). But what do you mean large bandwidth should not be allowed?
Re: The Fastest Cafe I Have Ever Known(about 600kbps Download Speed!) by stancozy(m): 10:20am On Aug 31, 2009
Got 649 Kb/s with MTN 3g connected via my phone, i expect cafe(s) to exceed that
Re: The Fastest Cafe I Have Ever Known(about 600kbps Download Speed!) by init4dmoni(m): 11:43am On Aug 31, 2009
let's get things straight
he's talking about 600KB/s not 600kb/s
600KB/s =4.8mbps or 4800kb/s(600 x cool
he peaked at 779KB/s which is 6.2mbps or 6232kb/s
Re: The Fastest Cafe I Have Ever Known(about 600kbps Download Speed!) by tunde300us(m): 12:55pm On Aug 31, 2009
@init,i get ur explanation,but i need to be sure if this was just a normal cafe.Is there anyone in the house who knows how much 1mb of bandwidth is worth in the vsat market ($4000)best offer anywhere,nd one person has 6mb on the download alone,i can imagine they have a 10mb poll to tap from.

@stan,i think ure missing the point here,ur MTN is on a fibre and fibre gives u cheap bandwidth whenever ure buying bulk and for goodness sake MTN is a corporate organisation not a school and so u shldnt be surprised they can give that much.
If u remember when there was a fibre cut, mtn's usb modem was wacked and that was because they had to switch to their vsat back up first and later to NITEL sat3,if u leave those areas where fibre has gotten to,am sure u will understand that ur MTN usb modem is just as good as its location ie LAGOS,ABUJA AND MAYBE PORT HARCOURT

Well if u say na soludo build am then am sure that ur skl sef go soon get issues with sanusi grin cos almost $40,000 worth of bandwidth na im una dey take play so and am sure he got the money from one of those bank chiefs as a gift nd now wey dem don dey fry dem yansh dat ur school go get yawa.
All in all sha i think there is a waste somewhere
Re: The Fastest Cafe I Have Ever Known(about 600kbps Download Speed!) by skydancer: 2:39pm On Aug 31, 2009
Yeah you are right to think that way. The truth is, I think they are on an e-learning project. They are upgrading their prometric centre and there is definitely something else that they are doing in two closed rooms that no one is allowed into.
Re: The Fastest Cafe I Have Ever Known(about 600kbps Download Speed!) by stancozy(m): 3:29pm On Aug 31, 2009
@Tunde, ha! So to vsat n MTN use totally differnt sats abi na fibre u call am. . LoL, does it mean that MTN is like a bulky bandwidth n the likes? So whats d differnce between those 2? mTN n Vsat?
@ini, thanks bro, i have forgotten all these small maths sef. .
Re: The Fastest Cafe I Have Ever Known(about 600kbps Download Speed!) by moonraker(m): 4:43pm On Aug 31, 2009
VSat= Mobile Satellite data transmission

MTN= Fibre= Satellite + Hard wired cables

Which is better?? Fibre,
Re: The Fastest Cafe I Have Ever Known(about 600kbps Download Speed!) by malone5923(m): 8:05am On Sep 01, 2009
@init. Thank you init for correcting the blunder I see people make the same mistake but when you try to correct them they all say "its the same its not different".
Re: The Fastest Cafe I Have Ever Known(about 600kbps Download Speed!) by tunde300us(m): 1:37pm On Sep 01, 2009
I think init said it all,but i honestly dont understand what stancozy was asking but all the same init ha just did some lecturing for all those that wants to know.
am out
Re: The Fastest Cafe I Have Ever Known(about 600kbps Download Speed!) by Timsilver(m): 5:16pm On Sep 01, 2009
Guys where can i get a really fast cafe in lagos.
Re: The Fastest Cafe I Have Ever Known(about 600kbps Download Speed!) by tunde300us(m): 10:28pm On Sep 01, 2009
Whats ur definition of fast,nd re u ready to pay for such cos NIJA LO WA !
Re: The Fastest Cafe I Have Ever Known(about 600kbps Download Speed!) by skydancer: 1:48pm On Sep 03, 2009
I now understand how this network stuff work. They actually limit the bandwiths of some users. When I used my mom's account the speed was 20kbps but on some accounts it peaks at 1mbps. But on administrator accounts, it peaks at 1mbps! And it is actually owned by UNN. Soludo just built it, nothing else.
Re: The Fastest Cafe I Have Ever Known(about 600kbps Download Speed!) by stancozy(m): 2:06pm On Sep 03, 2009
@tunde, pls dont get irritated by my ignorance. .
i now see there is a different views to d way av been viewing these network thingy. .

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Connect Privoxy With Mtn Fastlink / Hp Elitebook 6930p Us Used Laptop For Sale / Direct UK Used Dell Latitude E6400 Core 2 4GB Ram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.