Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,039 members, 7,810,849 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:53 PM

70 Years Retirement Age Absurd - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 70 Years Retirement Age Absurd (833 Views)

ASUU-LASU Seeks 70 Years Retirement Age For Lecturers / Ministry Of Education To Consider 65 Years As Teacher's Retirement Age!. / Fg Raises Professors' Retirement Age To 70 In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

70 Years Retirement Age Absurd by ogmyth: 1:08am On Aug 30, 2009
ASUU demand for retirement age of 70 years is very appalling, and shows their insensitivity for the plight of the education system, that they claim to be fighting for, as well as the students. The truth of the matter, is that this demand cannot improve our education system in anyway, therefore should not be tagged as so, rather their own desire.

When this issue of retirement age is discussed with people to find out their opinion, I observe that people are of the opinion diminishing return must have taken place at the age of 60 years, and should allow the system what a lecturer no matter his position can contribute to the our e of baton exchange to remain. I am emphasizing this point as a result of my observation in my institution where lecturer above 58 years are slow and always dictate from their old note. It is almost impossible for them to adopt new methodologies, which in science/engineering are ever changing.

At their age of 60 years their contribution is already dwindling which is natural because they are tired and should be allowed to take a break . Let me add that the University system has always provided a way of retaining those who services are found valuable after their retirement, which they do by engaging them as contract staff.

In developed countries, the people that contribute to uplifting of the university status in terms of research, is the graduate students and the young lecturer who are energetic, bright, adventurous, and willing to explore new ideas. This is the reason that they always engage their services, with packages such as scholarship/Graduate assistant /Research grant etc.

Even in my discussion with fellow Nigerians and students, when the issue of ASUU strike is mentioned some jump in defense of ASUU, but never have I seen where their retirement age is discussed and anybody stood up for them on this issue, rather people react negatively towards them. Some even call them abusive “names”, and question the reason they want to remain in the system and die in it, where many graduate who could take up from them lie unemployed, yet won’t still contribute significantly to upgrade the standard of education in their various institution. Only creating a barrier for the youths to be engaged, who are willing to make an impact. I ask which of other countries in Africa has retirement age of 70 years?

This demand is synonymous with the unpopular third term bid of President Obasanjo regime. All I am saying is that FG should reverse their retirement age to what it was, or it would be catastrophic to the whole system in Nigeria. Already NASU is demanding for 65 years. If FG agree to this demand, quote me in no distant time other public sectors will go on strike demanding theirs.
I think a whole lot of strike will be in the pipeline. Who knows Medical Doctors next?
Re: 70 Years Retirement Age Absurd by MUZBO(m): 7:14pm On Aug 30, 2009
Retirement age of 70 years in a country where life expectancy is around 58 years. We'll see how that'll work.

(1) (Reply)

Help: I Cant See My ABU Post UME Result / Urgent Cv For Lecturing Job / Unilag To Install Cctv Camera In The Main Library

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.