Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,473 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:37 PM

CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I (77874 Views)

What Happened To The Naira Swap / Dangote Floats $100m Truck Assembly Plant In Lagos / Good News. The Naira Is Now 245 To $1. See Inside! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by yusufu16: 4:13pm On Jun 15, 2016
I think there is light at the end of the tunnel.

4 Likes

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by Adminisher: 4:14pm On Jun 15, 2016
Meringe:
In all sincerity, this CBN gov is the worst so far. Under his care, naira lost 100% value in the market. How can you justify that? His actions caused most of this wahala, not necessarily the fundamentals. In short, the actions of this govt caused this wahala. Policy somersault is a very dangerous one. You don't go on experience tour with the lives of 200 million Nigerians.
In the height of militancy and economic meltdown, Soludo and Sanuisi managed the situation respectively.

The much i expected the dollar to naira is 220 at low price of crude oil.

Conclusion : They economy management team are serious learners.

It is extremely stxxid to say policy somersault caused Naira crash. The economy is not an egg. I don't know why people think there is a magic formulas for economic recovery.
There is no such thing. This measure is the best I have seen so far. Nigerians are highly innovative and hardworking.
Did I use the words "innovate" and "hardwork" ?. OK I did.
That is the way to succeed in Nigeria now.

The FG has made it easy now. Let me put it simply , it is now much cheaper to produce jeans in Nigeria than China even with the generator you will run and everything. Nigeria has no winter, it is also one of the few countries you can harvest some crops twice a year.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jun 15, 2016
adebrave1:
I don't understand all these stuffs

My own be say when I want to buy garri, rice, tomatoes, pepper, yam, phones and other trivial things let them be cheap and affordable.

I studied biochemistry and as such I can't comprehend the forex trading stuff. I don't understand it all.

As far as e no affect garri and rice. No shit. If not the government are in trouble oh.

True. Everyone is now behaving as if they graduated from Harvard Business School. Pretenders all over nairaland

3 Likes

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by erico2k2(m): 4:15pm On Jun 15, 2016
designking:
Nice move!

This government is really focused and plans deeply. You don't make forex policies by using sample data from very long past time frame. The best way to build a true forex system is to put out a strategy(demo) and test it against the current market fundamentals over a period of time; then re-access your system, adjust or approve it for full scale(live) use.

What this government has done is opening the Naira for real trading, creating more investors confidence, better volatility and liquidity. This will surely place the Nigeria economy ahead of most Africa economies.
What you talking about?he just devalued the naira. Is this not what we ha e been saying all along

1 Like

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jun 15, 2016
Guyman02:
I want to digress to Libya Central bank from our own CBN.

How many people here know that Libya now has 2 currencies and 2 Central banks in Tripoli and Tobruk with 2 different governments since after Nato baked regime change?.
The Central bank in Eastern Libya has its Dinar now printed in Moscow Russia (recognized by Russia and China) while the Central Bank in Tripoli prints a different Dinar in London recognized by US and the West.

The IMF recognizes the Central Bank Governor of Eastern Libya as legitimate but not the bank while the Bank in Tripoli is recognized as legitimate but not the Governor. Confusion!

Russia and China have decided to get their fair share of Libya resources as the country is now on the verge of partition like Ukraine by supporting the Government in Eastern Libya led by General Khalifa Haftar against the UN backed western installed Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj in Tripoli.
Most of the oil is in Eastern Libya and the west has decided to back the militia group called 'the Dawn' from Misrata as the new Presidential guard and a new war is anticipated to commence soon to recapture Eastern Libya from Libyan National Army led by Gen Haftar by the western backed militia.

This is how Libya has been exploited since the murder of Gaddafi by Nato backed forces with most of their gold reserves and money about $200b in their foreign reserves stolen by western banksters.
This is why many of us are angry with PMB when he calls us corrupt in front of western press and leaders.

Wonderful international politics. What caused the emergence of Eastern Libya as an independent state?

2 Likes

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by erico2k2(m): 4:16pm On Jun 15, 2016
Adminisher:

It is extremely stxxid to say policy somersault caused Naira crash. The economy is not an egg. I don't know why people think there is a magic formulas for economic recovery.
There is no such thing. This measure is the best I have seen so far. Nigerians are highly innovative and hardworking.

The FG has made it easy now. Let me put it simply , it is now much cheaper to produce jeans in Nigeria than China even with the generator you will run and everything. Nigeria has no winter, it is also one of the few countries you can harvest some crops twice a year.
I believe by Monday you will change to a different school of thought. Let's wait .
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by mengho(m): 4:19pm On Jun 15, 2016
Pls gurus in d house should elaborate this thing.
Some of us are just simple middle scale commercial farmers.
How will this affect the common Nigerian man who use naira & a bit of dollar
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by Tamaris1: 4:20pm On Jun 15, 2016
Buhari is clueless, inept and confused! Buhari is a punishment to Nigerians for our sins!!

1 Like

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by agitator: 4:20pm On Jun 15, 2016
davide470:

The implication of this could be wide-ranging. However, we can only but conclude that the end of the black market is near as anyone and everyone can now buy dollars at any bank or with authorized dealers at a price that is market determined.

Key highlights of the press briefing.

1. Market moving to single market through interbank via a Reuters / FMDQ order matching system with 10 primary dealers (2 way quote mechanism) and other secondary detailers.

2. Primary dealers will operate the interbank market. CBN may intervene from time to time

3. Proceeds of FDI shall be purchased by authorised dealers at the daily interbank rates

4. Non-oil exporters are allowed unfettered access to export proceeds via the interbank rates

5. 41 items formerly constrained by CBN will still not be eligible for trade on interbank

6. To enhance liquidity, CBN may offer long dated 6 – 12 months forwards to authorised dealers. Forwards must be traded backed with no authorised spreads

7. New product : Now authorized NGN futures on the FMDQ OTC – which will allow non-standardised amounts, no fixed dates or tenors. Will allow businesses to hedge. Futures will be NGN settled.

8. CBN says they have enough liquidity to play in the market (it surpasses pent up demand)

http://nairametrics.com/its-official-cbn-floats-the-naira-the-implications-for-you-and-i/

1. CBN go sell dollars to the banks for market price. In other words cbn to find out wetin aboki dey sell then sell close to that price.

2. Dem go create new set of dealers wey go dey between the CBN and banks.

3. If Hilary Clinton won bring money come start akara business for 9ja, the new set of dealers go buy the dollars from her then sell to banks at the market rate she ready to sell. before she go transfer the money come then bank go give her N199 naira for $1 but when she want to take any money out, banks go sell $1 for N330. (before this 1 na real 419 na-im make oyibo no gree come do business for 9ja) angry angry angry

4. People wey dey export goods like starch, garri, palmwine go fit buy dollar if dem need am for the price wey bank dey buy from each other. before banks dey show how much dem ready to buy dollars and how much dem dey sell, but when bank want to buy from another bank, the bank dey remove small for the other bank so dem fit make small gain too.

5. the 41 items we federal government bin ban still remain ban. Pesin no fit buy dollar for the price CBN or their dealers dey sell to bank to order for these item. but no wahala because the price difference no go much maybe between $2~$5. So this one no get real meaning.

6. You fit pay for dollars then in future collect you dollars for the rate of that day. Example today na 14 Jun and if dem day sell dollar N350 you fit pay for am then for September if dollar dey sell for N450, you go still collect the dollar for N350, this one be like saving you dollars. grin grin grin

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by Pavore9: 4:20pm On Jun 15, 2016
erico2k2:

If I send one pound frm the UK to my baking I get 505 in my bank. By Monday it might be 510 or 520 not good.

Whatever it ends up at will not bother me because am linked to local production and export earning FX.

1 Like

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by 2rutalk1: 4:20pm On Jun 15, 2016
okirahaj:
any economist or business administrator or accountant here to break those terms down to our understanding because I don't understand it at all.
pls I need the breakdown

Floating the naira means the value of our naira will henceforth be determined by the interplay of demand and supply. The CBN will no longer fix the exchange rate, though the CBN will intervene from time to time.

Meanwhile, since we are maintaining a Single Window System, you and I can walk into any Commercial Bank and buy dollars at their own rate depending on demand and supply of the currency. It also means that black Marketers (Mallams) will no longer have enough patronage since buying from the commercial banks will now be easier.

However, floating exchange rate regime can be counter productive in an economy that is riddled with stagflation (Inflation + unemployment) like Nigeria because it stifles FDI in the long run.

4 Likes

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by MrDoGood(m): 4:21pm On Jun 15, 2016
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by macherie1: 4:21pm On Jun 15, 2016
And the plot thickens. Why would CBN throw everyone to the interbank market when we know banks are only after the profit? In a country with so many greedy people like Nigeria, competiton rarely puts downward pressure on prices. The implication of this is that the rate of dollar will rise astronomically in the coming weeks since a very high demand has been automatically placed on greedy Nigerian banks. Wether the rate will decrease anytime soon is unknown.

4 Likes

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by Johnnoo(m): 4:26pm On Jun 15, 2016
This present administration doesn't know what they are doing. Finally they have reverted to initial status quo grin grin grin. The use of trial & error economy (which is directly impacting on the lives of the citizens of Nigeria) is very very unfair...
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by blackpanda: 4:26pm On Jun 15, 2016
truthspeaks:
because he was able to decipher all dat d Op said, na him pain u like dis. U zombies tink evry1 is like u. Shameless ppl. Ur buhari jst devalued d naira meaning he jst packed his vomit aftr destroyin d economy wit his control n command policies. It's nw he z jst wakin up wit d CbN n realised dis is not 1985. Buhari = cluelessness

If u cant understand simple economis even after they broke it down for u, then its best u shut up and stop displaying your ignorance. All u know how to do is insult
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by jpphilips(m): 4:28pm On Jun 15, 2016
Guyman02:
I want to digress to Libya Central bank from our own CBN.

How many people here know that Libya now has 2 currencies and 2 Central banks in Tripoli and Tobruk with 2 different governments since after Nato baked regime change?.
The Central bank in Eastern Libya has its Dinar now printed in Moscow Russia (recognized by Russia and China) while the Central Bank in Tripoli prints a different Dinar in London recognized by US and the West.

The IMF recognizes the Central Bank Governor of Eastern Libya as legitimate but not the bank while the Bank in Tripoli is recognized as legitimate but not the Governor. Confusion!

Russia and China have decided to get their fair share of Libya resources as the country is now on the verge of partition like Ukraine by supporting the Government in Eastern Libya led by General Khalifa Haftar against the UN backed western installed Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj in Tripoli.
Most of the oil is in Eastern Libya and the west has decided to back the militia group called 'the Dawn' from Misrata as the new Presidential guard and a new war is anticipated to commence soon to recapture Eastern Libya from Libyan National Army led by Gen Haftar by the western backed militia.

This is how Libya has been exploited since the murder of Gaddafi by Nato backed forces with most of their gold reserves and money about $200b in their foreign reserves stolen by western banksters.
This is why many of us are angry with PMB when he calls us corrupt in front of western press and leaders.

What has this got to do with the subject? you see why Buhari is justified to call you anything anywhere because your brain is still on hire purchase, NONSENSE!!

2 Likes

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by designking: 4:28pm On Jun 15, 2016
erico2k2:

What you talking about?he just devalued the naira. Is this not what we ha e been saying all along
The naira has never been rightly valued. You can't just determine the value of a currency by politically pronouncing a value. The true price of a currency should always be determined by the forces of demand and supply (True Market).

The current government is setting things right, and that may mean taking us back to the fundamentals or foundations, which is usually a lower state or starting stage.

Many stats, ratings and figures previously bandied about by past governments are mostly fictitious and fraudulent.

How Will This Affect You and I

Dollar is not our national currency, there is too much attention given to dollar because of the make-shift value attached to it. Our politicians spends dollars and stockpile their funds in dollar because they believe it is scarce and heavily hoarded. With a very volatile and liquid forex market, you wouldn't want to keep your funds in dollar if you are not an FX trader, because it becomes ever changing with the tick of the second. You can lose a sizable percentage of your income if you keep your funds in dollars.

The CBN don't protect the dollar but the naira, with improving trade balance, the dollar will gradually weaken and find a base price, that is stable and regular.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by idupaul: 4:30pm On Jun 15, 2016
FredN:
Money market just got interesting.... see me rushing to the bank

I predict the price will rise sharply from N350 to around N500 then drop back after a couple of weeks to less than N300 .... if this government people don't change their mind halfway sha

That primary dealer stuff sha get as e be... I bet some people are going to be eternally rewarded for loyalty to change

Same thing you said about fuel and electricity
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jun 15, 2016
Adminisher:

The golden rule to investing is KNOW YOUR MARKET

POLICY INCONSISTENCIES made investors wary of investing in Nigeria in the last 1 year

No matter how innovative you are, you will be foolish to start making jeans if you are not sure if the government will ban jeans tomorrow morning

3 Likes

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by Iko5000: 4:30pm On Jun 15, 2016
Please can someone confirm the last time that Naira was determine by market forces , was it in the seventies or just before 1983.[size=15pt][/size]
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by seunt4ut(m): 4:31pm On Jun 15, 2016
Them go use big big English daburu everything. Them go dey cause confusion confusion upression inflation paaaan raran
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by truthspeaks: 4:32pm On Jun 15, 2016
grin grin e pain am. Evry1 ain't like zombies. I understand evry bit of wats written thr n it simply means devaluation of d naira. D word wasn't used so as to save ur bubu's face. Or probably if we r wrong y not prove us right if u r so intelligent to engage in such conversation. Dundi olodo
blackpanda:

If u cant understand simple economis even after they broke it down for u, then its best u shut up and stop displaying your ignorance. All u know how to do is insult
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by davide470(m): 4:32pm On Jun 15, 2016
MrDoGood:

I DON'T UNDERSTAND

PLEASE EXPLAIN
It means the FX rates would work like a stock market; demand and supply, but there would be an oversight authority (primary dealers) providing liquidity for the market.
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by Meringe(m): 4:32pm On Jun 15, 2016
Adminisher:

I can't use insulting words on you.

But if you feel that we are better off with higher exchange rate because we can produce here cheaper as your argument, then why don't the CBN allow the naira to crash to #1000?

In your mind, you think dollar controls only the price of finished imported goods?

You must be joking.

If you are following the rise of dollar against naira since last year, it has been as a result of CBN annoucments of some of their introduced polices.

Have you asked yourself why naira still depreciates even when crude oil price is on the rise?

Be informed.
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by Guyman02: 4:32pm On Jun 15, 2016
jpphilips:

What has this got to do with the subject? you see why Buhari is justified to call you anything anywhere because your brain is still on hire purchase, NONSENSE!!

One of our major problems is that we dont take time to study international politics, it has effect on your own economy, because of the crisis in Libya Boko Haram gets their weapons from there and this has affected our economy; I want to show you the link but you are too ignorant to understand.
Ngozi Okonjo Iweala is an icon because she understands international economic politics which our beautiful Kemi Adeosun is still studying.

1 Like

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by macanu(m): 4:33pm On Jun 15, 2016
wellmax:

where exactly? Tell us you don't understand the news or you just STFU
tell ur president to stop talking from both sides of his mouth,after refusing to devalue now go backs to his vomit.confusion everywhere

1 Like

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by LordIsaac(m): 4:35pm On Jun 15, 2016
Did anyone observe that non of our so called economists and accountants could break the simple theory down to a lay man.....Yet, if you asked them, they'd say they graduated from Covenant with a first class!!

1 Like

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by happney65: 4:36pm On Jun 15, 2016
joseph1013:
After crashing the economy with his stubbornness, Buhari goes back to his vomit and does the same thing he swore not to do, both on local and international media.

May we not be cursed with leaders whose egos are bigger than the common good of the masses.

omolola15 come and see..the same thing he said he wont do he eventually did after destroying everything.. WU and MG sef don dey give us 300naira per dollar..The highest so-far in the History of this Nation..Oya continue...Eyin weeere
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by NancyAgolokigho(f): 4:36pm On Jun 15, 2016
Let's stop castigating and just wait till Monday.
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by docadams: 4:37pm On Jun 15, 2016
anonimi:

Indeed it is a good policy.
Let's hope that implementation will be just as good without too many EXCEPTIONS as with their CBN recruitment scandal.

Or, worst still, GEJ import waiver
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by Marpol: 4:37pm On Jun 15, 2016
ABUJA, June 15 (Reuters) – Nigeria’s central bank will open a “purely” market-driven window for interbank foreign exchange trading, shifting away from a fixed exchange rate, in an effort to increase the supply of hard currency, the governor of the bank said on Wednesday.

The central bank will use the new trading scheme to inject foreign exchange liquidity, if needed, which Nigeria hopes will ease severe dollar shortages caused by a slump in oil revenue, Governor Godwin Emefiele said.

It was not clear at what rate the central bank would supply dollars to the interbank market. The central bank’s official rate is 197 naira to the U.S. dollar, but the currency trades at around a 50 percent discount on the parallel market.

Letting the market set the naira’s value is likely to drive down its value. That will make Nigerian products cheaper and competing imports more expensive, which should stimulate the domestic economy.

“The market shall operate as a single market structure through the interbank and autonomous window. The exchange rate will be purely market-driven,” Emefiele told reporters.

“To improve the dynamics of the market, we will introduce foreign exchange primary dealers who would be registered by the CBN to deal directly with the bank for large trade sizes on a two-way quote basis,” he said.

Investors approved of the idea: Nigeria’s stock market gained 3 percent following the announcement.

“Its a pretty important step in the right direction,” said Alan Cameron, an economist at Exotix in London. “Basically it amounts to a managed float, which is better than what most people were expecting. It’s a pleasant surprise.”

Emefiele also said the central bank will open a foreign exchange futures market to ease demand on spot trading, reduce volatility and give businesses more certainty.

Precise guidelines will be published later on Wednesday, he said, adding that the new window would have eight to 10 primary traders handling minimum volumes of $10 million.

Africa’s biggest economy, which contracted by 0.4 percent in the first quarter, faces its worst crisis in decades after the decline in oil prices and last year’s introduction of a currency peg that prompted large-scale capital flight.

“Over the long run, a weaker currency will help Nigeria’s economy by encouraging import substitution and attracting foreign investors, who have shunned the country for fear of a devaluation,” said John Ashbourne at Capital Economics.

“But the move will be painful over the short term. Higher import prices will add to inflation … This will probably force the authorities to tighten monetary policy.” (Additional reporting by Alexis Akwagyiram, Chijioke Ohuocha, Sujata Rao and Camillus Eboh; Editing by Larry King)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by marv1: 4:39pm On Jun 15, 2016
designking:
Nice move!

This government is really focused and plans deeply. You don't make forex policies by using sample data from very long past time frame. The best way to build a true forex system is to put out a strategy(demo) and test it against the current market fundamentals over a period of time; then re-access your system, adjust or approve it for full scale(live) use.

What this government has done is opening the Naira for real trading, creating more investors confidence, better volatility and liquidity. This will surely place the Nigeria economy ahead of most Africa economies.
But nigeria is a mono economy. The oil production has reduced drastically with recent bombings by militants. What else do we have that we can exchange for dollars. Nothing. So the floating of naira is still devaluation if govt is going to allow one window, allow buy and sell freely. We use dollars for virtualy everything because we dont produce. So we cant earn more on dollars. They should spare us the sermon.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

5 Profitable Things That Will Always Sell In Nigeria / Kuda Bank Called EFCC On My Friend Over N800k - Bryson Adah Cole / CBN announces unification of FX windows, stops Naira4Dollar scheme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.