Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,125 members, 7,835,769 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:45 PM

Murtala As Leader Of The July 1966 Mutiny Wanted The North To Seccede - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Murtala As Leader Of The July 1966 Mutiny Wanted The North To Seccede (3104 Views)

Why Buhari Should Not Be Addressed As Leader Of The APC - Dogara / Military Refutes Claims Of Mutiny In Borno Camp- (photos Of Soldiers & Superior) / July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Murtala As Leader Of The July 1966 Mutiny Wanted The North To Seccede by Nobody: 5:43am On Jun 16, 2016
Exactly why "the willing tools" and "conquered regions" wld continue to lag behind...keep pushing for more division in d name of "history"
Re: Murtala As Leader Of The July 1966 Mutiny Wanted The North To Seccede by APCHaram: 6:45am On Jun 16, 2016
Oktoberfest:
Exactly why "the willing tools" and "conquered regions" wld continue to lag behind...keep pushing for more division in d name of "history"

So we should sweep away the ugly truth of the past in order to promote unity?

The reason you have another Biafran agitation 50yrs after the war is because the issues surrounding the war were never addressed.

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Murtala As Leader Of The July 1966 Mutiny Wanted The North To Seccede by APCHaram: 6:58am On Jun 16, 2016
Cyph98:
Truth be told you make no sense to me either. Have fun digging into history.

On the other hand I'm yet figure out your message behind this epistle.

The message is that murtala declared his intention to seccede from Nigeria long before Biafra agitation.

If you like keep denying the truth

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Murtala As Leader Of The July 1966 Mutiny Wanted The North To Seccede by zendy: 7:28am On Jun 16, 2016
Murtala's coup was actually code named 'operation Araba'. Araba I garther is 'to separate' in Hausa. After that bloody coup, it was Murtalas intention to fly all the senior Northern officers to Kaduna where they would declare secession of the North from Nigeria. But when Murtala and co where informed that the North would not be viable without the far more economically advanced South, their tune changed to 'one Nigeria'. Murtala himself could not assume power since he was much junior to Gowon so Gowon took over as the highest ranking officer of Northern extraction. The moral of the story is that the so called "one Nigeria" has always been predicated on economic expediency rather than patriotism. Lugard created 'one Nigeria' because he came to West Africa to look for money, the North and their Yorubas allies shout 'one Nigeria' because they are looking for Oil money. So when I see anyone shouting "one Nigeria", as an Igbo man, I laugh in my heart because I already know what it is all about. To this day, I'm yet to hear or see any Igbo man shout 'one Nigeria' whenever the issue of Oduduwa or Arewa Republic comes up. But mention Biafra...................

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Murtala As Leader Of The July 1966 Mutiny Wanted The North To Seccede by RevDesm0ndJuju: 10:45am On Jun 16, 2016
Re: Murtala As Leader Of The July 1966 Mutiny Wanted The North To Seccede by Aaronzy: 10:49am On Jun 16, 2016
APCHaram:

The coup was celebrated in the SW
Awo supporters took to the streets to celebrate the coup.
Call it what you want but it wasn't an Igbo agenda.
This has been the lie used to justify the pogroms in the north and the genocide in Biafra.
If you took a cursory look at the history of coup in nigeria you will find that coup plotters are drawn from the same cadre. Ethnicity, religion and school of thought
Jan 15. Mid ranking officers of leftist ideology
July 1966. Junior hausa/fulani Muslim officers
1975 coup. Colonels coup (graduants of the class of July 1966.
1976. Mid ranking Christian minority officers led by Dimka.
1983. General's coup comprising of the same fulani hausa group of July 1966.
1985 followup of 1983 group.
1991. Reminants of middle belt officers that survived the 1976 purge.
Coups are a serious affair and as we can see only those with strong bonds can trust each other in such risky affair.
So we see groups of individuals with same Ethnicity and religion and background staging a coup.
The big difference is what the outcome or end result they intend to achieve.
The Jan 15 coup did not have an igbo agenda but as we can see with the mutiny of 1966 led by Murtala had a regional agenda.
bros, go back and read ur history very well joor......dat northern counter coup was simply a revenge and dos who carried out dat coup will never regret it because dats what any sane human being will do...what will u do wen u went to bed and wake up just to realise dat all ur leaders wer brutally murdered and some even with dia wives by army officers populated by d igbo's and after dat the igbo's in the north wer celebrating and displaying all sorts of provocative pictures or did'nt u read about what pan enahoro said or didn't read about d drummagazine or the grammophone? And the igbo's wer behind all this and now u are here defending dem, dey reap what dey sowed.

1 Like

Re: Murtala As Leader Of The July 1966 Mutiny Wanted The North To Seccede by RevDesm0ndJuju: 10:51am On Jun 16, 2016
Aaronzy:
bros, go back and read ur history very well joor......dat northern counter coup was simply a revenge and dos who carried out dat coup will never regret it because dats what any sane human being will do...what will u do wen u went to bed and wake up just to realise dat all ur leaders wer brutally murdered and some even with dia wives by army officers populated by d igbo's and after dat the igbo's in the north wer celebrating and displaying all sorts of provocative pictures or did'nt u read about what pan enahoro said or didn't read about d drummagazine or the grammophone? And the igbo's wer behind all this and now u are here defending dem, dey reap what dey sowed.

Is this what you are using to justify the pogroms in the north and genocidal war that followed?
Re: Murtala As Leader Of The July 1966 Mutiny Wanted The North To Seccede by Aaronzy: 10:53am On Jun 16, 2016
zendy:
Murtala's coup was actually code named 'operation Araba'. Araba I garther is 'to separate' in Hausa. After that bloody coup, it was Murtalas intention to fly all the senior Northern officers to Kaduna where they would declare secession of the North from Nigeria. But when Murtala and co where informed that the North would not be viable without the far more economically advanced South, their tune changed to 'one Nigeria'. Murtala himself could not assume power since he was much junior to Gowon so Gowon took over as the highest ranking officer of Northern extraction. The moral of the story is that the so called "one Nigeria" has always been predicated on economic expediency rather than patriotism. Lugard created 'one Nigeria' because he came to West Africa to look for money, the North and their Yorubas allies shout 'one Nigeria' because they are looking for Oil money. So when I see anyone shouting "one Nigeria", as an Igbo man, I laugh in my heart because I already know what it is all about. To this day, I'm yet to hear or see any Igbo man shout 'one Nigeria' whenever the issue of Oduduwa or Arewa Republic comes up. But mention Biafra...................
the problem with you guys (Igbo's and the niger deltans) is dat u claim to be the special ones, even mourinho dat claimed to be the special one go and ask the chelsea fans what happened to his career!
Re: Murtala As Leader Of The July 1966 Mutiny Wanted The North To Seccede by RevDesm0ndJuju: 10:57am On Jun 16, 2016
Aaronzy:
the problem with you guys (Igbo's and the niger deltans) is dat u claim to be the special ones, even mourinho dat claimed to be the special one go and ask the chelsea fans what happened to his career!

The problem with you yorubas is that you can't stick to the fundamental issue without resorting to tribalism.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Murtala As Leader Of The July 1966 Mutiny Wanted The North To Seccede by zendy: 10:58am On Jun 16, 2016
Aaronzy:

But the difference is that neither Mourinho nor Chelsea are fighting that they must be "One Blues Brothers"

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Murtala As Leader Of The July 1966 Mutiny Wanted The North To Seccede by booblacain(m): 11:21am On Jun 16, 2016
Cyph98:
since when does intentions translate to actions undecided and hell no, I don't call that hypocrisy, i call it patriotism

Intentions are always behind and most often the root of all human actions.
Re: Murtala As Leader Of The July 1966 Mutiny Wanted The North To Seccede by Aaronzy: 12:28pm On Jun 16, 2016
RevDesm0ndJuju:

Is this what you are using to justify the pogroms in the north and genocidal war that followed?
i was nt talking about the killing of innocent civilians in dey north, what i was saying is that the counter coup was the best solution to dat Jan 15 coup, the coup was as a result of an inaction against an illegal action. If the coup plotters wer court marshaled we would n't have heard of any counter coup but instead dey wer taken to prisons located in the east and even in prison dey wer wearing dia uniforms and even dia ranks wer giving to dem some of dem wer being promoted and wer been called national heroes by dia people....with dis, u will definitely expect a counter coup!
Re: Murtala As Leader Of The July 1966 Mutiny Wanted The North To Seccede by 12Monkeys: 9:56am On Aug 16, 2016
Ariani:
Is it not funny that the same Mutala Muhammad will later turn to an apostle of anti Western interference in African states, when he rode to power through the British interference in the Nigerian- Bia**** conflict. Such a hypocrite.

And the same murtala was the first seccessionist champion only for him to fight to keep Nigeria one in the most brutal civil war.

The man was truly a confusionist and it is very clear that murtala as the son of the Chief Qadri of Kano (highest Islamic scholar) was driven by religious zeal to kill igbos .

(1) (2) (Reply)

m / Election Postponement Will Affect PDP Drastically. / Osinbajo Turns Off Comment On Instagram Page As He Prepares To Move Out Of Aso R

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.