Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,411 members, 7,853,811 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 03:41 AM

Abolishing The Death Penalty - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abolishing The Death Penalty (617 Views)

Ekiti Assembly Approves Death Penalty For Cultists / Ambode Signs Death Penalty For Kidnappers / Lagos State Government Denies Abolishing Monthly Sanitation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abolishing The Death Penalty by Nobody: 7:45am On Jun 16, 2016
The death penalty is generally imposed as punishment on convicted murderers, defendants convicted of treason, bribery and corruption (China PR), drug trafficking (Malaysia and Indonesia) and armed robbery (Nigeria).

Nonetheless, the European Union member countries have all repealed death-sentence laws in their various jurisdictions.

My question is this: Should the death penalty be completely abolished, or retained as the maximum punishment for truly violent crimes?
Re: Abolishing The Death Penalty by BavarianLad: 7:46am On Jun 16, 2016
CFCman:
The death penalty is generally imposed as punishment on convicted murderers, defendants convicted of treason, bribery and corruption (China PR), drug trafficking (Malaysia and Indonesia) and armed robbery (Nigeria).

My question is this: Should the death penalty be completely abolished, or retained as the maximum punishment for truly violent crimes?
Death penalty should remain for murderers only.

1 Like

Re: Abolishing The Death Penalty by Nobody: 7:49am On Jun 16, 2016
BavarianLad:
Death penalty should remain for murderers only.
I agree
I would support the imposition of the death penalty only on mass murderers/serial killers who committed the act via a firearm.
Re: Abolishing The Death Penalty by BavarianLad: 8:00am On Jun 16, 2016
CFCman:

I agree
I would support the imposition of the death penalty only on mass murderers/serial killers who committed the act via a firearm.
I would support every form of murder.

Look at the case of the man who died some days ago in police custody. He killed his wife who has been the bread winner for a long time by slitting her throat. Is there any justifiable reason for keeping such person alive?

I maintain that all forms of murder should attract a death penalty.
Re: Abolishing The Death Penalty by jahsharon: 8:20am On Jun 16, 2016
CFCman:

I agree

What about ex-governor Attahiru Bafarawa who collected 4.3 billion naira from Sambo Dasuki for spiritual purpose. Attahiru Bafarawa claimed that Boko Haram insurgent is a spiritual problem that requires only spiritual solution. Now, tell me, did Attahiru Bafarawa give the money to Allah or to Jesus to help stop Boko Haram spiritually? If not, why should Attahiru Bafarawa not be sentenced to death? What of Femi Fani Kayode that collected 840 million naira for propaganda? What about our elder Olu Falae who collected 100 million naira twice to support whom God had cursed?

What about Jim Nwobodo who was jailed in 1984 for stealing money that cannot buy a Peugeot but rebounced to collect 100 million naira in 2015, can prison term change such a man? What about Tinubu, Fasola, Amaechi who are now richer that the states they governed? Can prison terms teach such people any lesson? What about the ATM, Col Dansuki Sambo who shared money meant to fight Boko Haram with his friends and associates as directed by our hero the ineffectual buffoon, can prison term bring back all the people that Boko Haram killed due to the corruption of the past government?

Can we say that the death sentence is too much for Dansuki, Olu Fale, Jim Nwobodo, Tinubu, Fashola, Amaechi, GEJ, PEJ, Obasanjo, Attahiru Bafarawa, FFK and others whose actions and inactions have led to the loss of several lives of Nigerian?

Sorry, pardon me, it seems I am drunk. I took too much fanta and coca-cola yesterday and got drunk. I think the people listed above should be praised, immortalized and worshiped. Surely, the gods are not mad, but I doubt the mental state of you and I.

1 Like

Re: Abolishing The Death Penalty by DoyenExchange: 9:46am On Jun 16, 2016
Abolish it.
Re: Abolishing The Death Penalty by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jun 16, 2016
jahsharon:

What about ex-governor Attahiru Bafarawa who collected 4.3 billion naira from Sambo Dasuki for spiritual purpose. Attahiru Bafarawa claimed that Boko Haram insurgent is a spiritual problem that requires only spiritual solution. Now, tell me, did Attahiru Bafarawa give the money to Allah or to Jesus to help stop Boko Haram spiritually? If not, why should Attahiru Bafarawa not be sentenced to death? What of Femi Fani Kayode that collected 840 million naira for propaganda? What about our elder Olu Falae who collected 100 million naira twice to support whom God had cursed?

What about Jim Nwobodo who was jailed in 1984 for stealing money that cannot buy a Peugeot but rebounced to collect 100 million naira in 2015, can prison term change such a man? What about Tinubu, Fasola, Amaechi who are now richer that the states they governed? Can prison terms teach such people any lesson? What about the ATM, Col Dansuki Sambo who shared money meant to fight Boko Haram with his friends and associates as directed by our hero the ineffectual buffoon, can prison term bring back all the people that Boko Haram killed due to the corruption of the past government?

Can we say that the death sentence is too much for Dansuki, Olu Fale, Jim Nwobodo, Tinubu, Fashola, Amaechi, GEJ, PEJ, Obasanjo, Attahiru Bafarawa, FFK and others whose actions and inactions have led to the loss of several lives of Nigerian?

Sorry, pardon me, it seems I am drunk. I took too much fanta and coca-cola yesterday and got drunk. I think the people listed above should be praised, immortalized and worshiped. Surely, the gods are not mad, but I doubt the mental state of you and I.
You made valid points about a prison term not having an impact on the overall situation.
But I wouldn't be in favor of imposing a death sentence on people convicted of bribery and corruption.
Yes, Dasuki's actions indirectly led to the death of 1000s of soldiers and civilians, but I would prefer that he be sentenced to a minimum of 20 years in prison.
Re: Abolishing The Death Penalty by courage89(m): 4:02pm On Jun 16, 2016
Death penalty should not be abolished. Criminal activities such as terrorism, kidnapping, murder should attract death penalty. There has to be high penalties, consequences for these actions to serve as deterrent to others. In my own opinion, that will be the only way to reduce these crimes to bare minimum.
Re: Abolishing The Death Penalty by ba7man(m): 4:38pm On Jun 16, 2016
In Nigeria, we have a population of over 180 million people.

This is overpopulation and we seriously need to depopulate this country.

The death sentence is a good way of getting rid of criminals and undesirable elements that are a minus to the productive ones.

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING: Buhari Returns To Nigeria / Dangote Owes AMCON # 60billion Naira And Was Not Sealed By AMCON / Alleged Forgery: Saraki, Ekweremadu May Go To Jail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.