Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,286 members, 7,818,972 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:14 AM

New Naira Policy: 8 Things That Will Happen In The Next 10 Days - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / New Naira Policy: 8 Things That Will Happen In The Next 10 Days (52954 Views)

If I Spend Money Mistakenly Deposited Into My Bank Account, What Will Happen? / 8 Things N500 Cannot Buy Anymore / 1 Barrel Of Oil = $40 = 1 New Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Naira Policy: 8 Things That Will Happen In The Next 10 Days by Nobody: 10:24am On Jun 16, 2016
The Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, on Wednesday released modalities for the country's new flexible foreign exchange regime.

Here are things that are expected to happen in the next 10 days as a result:

1. Naira will get a new official price against the dollar when the market opens on Monday

2. The naira will appreciate against the dollar immensely at the black market

3. Scarcity will be reduced as dollar will be more available to buy

4. The gap between the official market and the parallel market will shrink

5. Round-tripping by dollar dealers (individuals and companies) will be massively reduced

6. The restrictions on naira cards abroad will be removed

7. The pump price of petrol may reduce

8. Inflation rate will reduce

https://www.nigerianbulletin.com/threads/new-naira-policy-8-things-that-will-happen-in-the-next-10-days.214632/

65 Likes 9 Shares

Re: New Naira Policy: 8 Things That Will Happen In The Next 10 Days by lekkie073(m): 10:27am On Jun 16, 2016
We r waiting cry

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Naira Policy: 8 Things That Will Happen In The Next 10 Days by Horus(m): 10:31am On Jun 16, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6tXeKYlZHE

[size=14pt]Nigeria's Central Bank floats the embattled Naira currency[/size]

3 Likes

Re: New Naira Policy: 8 Things That Will Happen In The Next 10 Days by Nobody: 10:35am On Jun 16, 2016
This is a theoretical analysis, we shall see if you re right in 10 days:

But I strongly disagree with you on the following points:

1. The Nations oil output has drastically reduced due to vandals from militants and refusal of foreign buyers to patronize us.

2. The country produces little except oil, it imports more than 85 percent of its products for manufacturing, this will cause deficit in balance of payments with other countries.

3. Dollar will continue to appreciate against the naira as firms and companies prefer to hold dollar currency than naira.

4. Current govt is low on funds, already having challenges implementing budget.

5. Scarcity will return as Importers dont have dollars to import fuel at changing exchange rate.

85 Likes 3 Shares

Re: New Naira Policy: 8 Things That Will Happen In The Next 10 Days by IykeChukz(m): 10:38am On Jun 16, 2016
Prophet Elijah...

We're all here...

6 Likes

Re: New Naira Policy: 8 Things That Will Happen In The Next 10 Days by RevDesm0ndJuju: 10:41am On Jun 16, 2016
Arrant nonsense from the OP.

The CBN policy is to effectively bring about a duo parallel rate at the official market.

This will lead to officially devaluing the naira and thus see a fall in the naira.

There will also be diversions of forex by those approved to source at the subsidised rate of 199 since why should I bother importing raw materials when I can simply sell the forex I get from the CBN at a subsidised rate at the black market?

This is just another foolish policy that will create avenue for quick money for those allowed to access forex.

The only solution is to float the damn naira already in an open bidding auction.

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: New Naira Policy: 8 Things That Will Happen In The Next 10 Days by utenwuson: 10:58am On Jun 16, 2016
in 10 days? or ten years?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Naira Policy: 8 Things That Will Happen In The Next 10 Days by Maisuya1: 11:06am On Jun 16, 2016
what will happen is what is happening with PMS supply after the price review.
As i type now I have stations with filled underground tanks and trucks siding by the station unable to discharge. with supply outweighing demand, the competition would soon shift to pricing hopefully forcing it down

56 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New Naira Policy: 8 Things That Will Happen In The Next 10 Days by jamesibor: 11:32am On Jun 16, 2016
kaeforum:
This is a theoretical analysis, we shall see if you re right in 10 days:

But I strongly disagree with you on the following points:

1. The Nations oil output has drastically reduced due to vandals from militants and refusal of foreign buyers to patronize us.

2. The country produces little except oil, it imports more than 85 percent of its products for manufacturing, this will cause deficit in balance of payments with other countries.

3. Dollar will continue to appreciate against the naira as firms and companies prefer to hold dollar currency than naira.

4. Current govt is low on funds, already having challenges implementing budget.

5. Scarcity will return as Importers dont have dollars to import fuel at changing exchange rate.

Bro, your head dey there. Leave proponents of vodoo economics to keep plucking figures and analysis from the sky.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Naira Policy: 8 Things That Will Happen In The Next 10 Days by Nobody: 11:50am On Jun 16, 2016
Amazing but where is lalasticlala sef shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: New Naira Policy: 8 Things That Will Happen In The Next 10 Days by Ademat7(m): 12:06pm On Jun 16, 2016
fingers crossed! however in all our agricultural pursuit let us not, I repeat let us not export raw materials and import finished produce. #my2kobo

4 Likes

Re: New Naira Policy: 8 Things That Will Happen In The Next 10 Days by chumakk: 12:17pm On Jun 16, 2016
I'm very sure that one thing will not happen: it will not affect the common man on the street.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Naira Policy: 8 Things That Will Happen In The Next 10 Days by deebsman1(m): 12:50pm On Jun 16, 2016
we pray so, thx OP

1 Like

Re: New Naira Policy: 8 Things That Will Happen In The Next 10 Days by ZoggingMaster: 12:51pm On Jun 16, 2016
OP may be right in some of the submissions but I disagree with him on points 4 and 7.

4. OP says the gap between official rate and parallel market rate will close up. This point is simply INVALID as the policy has simply eradicated what we call official rate. What we should expect is more frequent fluctuations though well below the current parallel market rate.

7. OP says fuel price may reduce. This is very doubtful especially given just the first 10 days. I hope that OP is aware that the current fuel price was fixed based on a projection that if forex is floated, exchange rate would settle at around N290 to $1. If this happens, fuel price will remain. If the rate settles significantly below N290, that's when we can expect a fall in fuel price. The worst scenario is if market forces settle the rate far above N290, in which case we should expect a further increase in fuel price.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New Naira Policy: 8 Things That Will Happen In The Next 10 Days by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jun 16, 2016
NA GOD GO PUNISH CBN

3 Likes

Re: New Naira Policy: 8 Things That Will Happen In The Next 10 Days by seunlayi(m): 12:52pm On Jun 16, 2016
Till then

1 Like

Re: New Naira Policy: 8 Things That Will Happen In The Next 10 Days by Adekorya: 12:52pm On Jun 16, 2016
Fact about Nigeria; All our government policies always look good on the way, but majority of them do change face on their arrival.

Note for Zombie and wailer; This has bn in observation even before the existence of APC or PDP.

4 Likes

Re: New Naira Policy: 8 Things That Will Happen In The Next 10 Days by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jun 16, 2016
Keneking:
Amazing but where is lalasticlala sef shocked

Chai de way wey una dey call Lala's name everytime...abi you wan marry im sister?

On the topic.....the problem really is that Nigeria does not have a stable source of forex.

Oil, agric and co can never be that stable source. Industries only can be.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Naira Policy: 8 Things That Will Happen In The Next 10 Days by Olukokosir(m): 12:52pm On Jun 16, 2016
Waitin
Re: New Naira Policy: 8 Things That Will Happen In The Next 10 Days by Lanre4uonly(m): 12:52pm On Jun 16, 2016
Let's wait and see how it will unfold.

1 Like

Re: New Naira Policy: 8 Things That Will Happen In The Next 10 Days by naijathings(m): 12:52pm On Jun 16, 2016
fingers crossed
Re: New Naira Policy: 8 Things That Will Happen In The Next 10 Days by holluwai(m): 12:53pm On Jun 16, 2016
Op must be a magician. grin
Re: New Naira Policy: 8 Things That Will Happen In The Next 10 Days by EMMANTOP1(m): 12:53pm On Jun 16, 2016
We are waiting oooooo #for the best... God bless Nigeria
Re: New Naira Policy: 8 Things That Will Happen In The Next 10 Days by brainbox1000(m): 12:53pm On Jun 16, 2016
Okay oooo... we dey wait.... lipsrsealed
Re: New Naira Policy: 8 Things That Will Happen In The Next 10 Days by Jimwalex(m): 12:53pm On Jun 16, 2016
We pray your predictions come to pass..
Meanwhile today is my birthday,shower me with rain of LIKES abeg

20 Likes

Re: New Naira Policy: 8 Things That Will Happen In The Next 10 Days by babyfaceafrica: 12:54pm On Jun 16, 2016
Noted
Re: New Naira Policy: 8 Things That Will Happen In The Next 10 Days by Remii(m): 12:54pm On Jun 16, 2016
RevDesm0ndJuju:
Arrant nonsense from the OP.

The CBN policy is to effectively bring about a duo parallel rate at the official market.

This will lead to officially devaluing the naira and thus see a fall in the naira.

There will also be diversions of forex by those approved to source at the subsidised rate of 199 since why should I bother importing raw materials when I can simply sell the forex I get from the CBN at a subsidised rate at the black market?

This is just another foolish policy that will create avenue for quick money for those allowed to access forex.

The only solution is to float the damn naira already in an open bidding auction.

no more N199/$ peg, everyone goes to market at same price of dollar

2 Likes

Re: New Naira Policy: 8 Things That Will Happen In The Next 10 Days by naijathings(m): 12:54pm On Jun 16, 2016
FriendChoice:

The Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, on Wednesday released modalities for the country's new flexible foreign exchange regime.

Here are things that are expected to happen in the next 10 days as a result:

1. Naira will get a new official price against the dollar when the market opens on Monday

2. The naira will appreciate against the dollar immensely at the black market

3. Scarcity will be reduced as dollar will be more available to buy

4. The gap between the official market and the parallel market will shrink

5. Round-tripping by dollar dealers (individuals and companies) will be massively reduced

6. The restrictions on naira cards abroad will be removed

7. The pump price of petrol MAY reduce

8. Inflation rate will reduce

only fuel price carry MAY

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Naira Policy: 8 Things That Will Happen In The Next 10 Days by RedCard1(m): 12:55pm On Jun 16, 2016
@no 7 isn't strong enough. You should have used' will' instead of 'may' for us to be sure
Re: New Naira Policy: 8 Things That Will Happen In The Next 10 Days by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jun 16, 2016
i agree...... with 10%. theory is different from practical
Re: New Naira Policy: 8 Things That Will Happen In The Next 10 Days by rufaikoko(m): 12:57pm On Jun 16, 2016
Ameen. Wailers are liable to die young.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Over 50 Jets Storm Rivers For Wigwe’s Burial / Business Idea For Nigerians (Virgin Ideas) / Oyinda Adenuga At Her Traditional Wedding (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.