Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:40 AM

Nurses Are Professionals (part 1) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nurses Are Professionals (part 1) (1528 Views)

How Many Johesu Members Apart From Nurses Are Needed In Europe / World's Hottest Looking Black Doctors And Nurses (Photos) / Why Doctors & Nurses Inject The Buttocks More (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nurses Are Professionals (part 1) by Omoladams(m): 4:35pm On Jun 16, 2016
A NURSE IS A PROFESSIONAL(PART 1)
Education is very important which reflects intrinsic values, intellect, culture and integrity. Health care system in Nigeria is derailed, thus need to be remodelled. Many at times society doesn’t understand WHO IS A NURSE? Prompting individual to make refuting statements and confuse society the more. Stereotyping has caused a serious damage to the profession such that no good deed is talked of a nurse.
This is an excerpt from Governor Tambuwal speech on increasing the allowances of Youth Service Corp members.
Daily Post reports that Tambuwal said Graduates of medicine will now be paid N50,000 from the current amount of N36,000. Pharmacists will now N25,000 up from the N19,000 obtainable in the past, while graduates of lab science and other medical technicians like nurses are now entitled to monthly stipend of N15,000, up from the current N9,000 they are getting from the state government.
Who is a medical technician? Certified medical technicians collect samples and perform medical laboratory tests in order to provide diagnostic support to physicians and pathologists. They typically earn either a certificate or an associate's degree in clinical laboratory science before attaining professional certification.
I want to believe that Mr Governor was misinformed and misguided on the word medical technician for nurses. According to that definition, you can accept nursing does not belong to class of medical technician. Nursing is a science and art of life which is evidence-based practice profession that is built upon a desired goal in attaining maximal health status of a client well or sick (Omolola 2014). A Nurse technician, often called nurse’s aides or nursing attendants, assists with the medical care of patients. Certified nurse technicians, similar to nurse aides or assistants, provide direct patient care with the supervision of a registered nurse. They aid patients with daily grooming chores, assist doctors with exams, and help nurses provide prescribed medications and treatments. Presently in Nigeria there is nothing like nurse technician, the only regulatory body known is nursing and Midwifery council of Nigeria saddled with the responsibility of education and practice.
A Corp Nurse is a registered nurse, and midwife, spent five years as undergraduate, Medical Laboratory Scientists and Pharmacists spent five years in university as well. Why should the nurses be disenfranchised? it's a way of demoralizing and downgrading the profession. They all had same entry requirements into university, individual choice differs.
Mr Governor, Nursing is a profession and cannot be classified as medical technician. At 100 level, 200 level and 300 level first semester, Nursing and Medical students write same examination, in fact undergoes 1st MB examination together. After that semester, students swiftly moved to area of interest. Is it a crime for a twin brother to be disenfranchised in order to satisfy the other one?
The public should henceforth accord nurses their due respects. Anybody trained in the hospital by a Doctor is never and can never be called a nurse. That doctor /hospital is training killer and should be proscribed because only Nursing and Midwifery council of Nigeria is lawfully allowed to licensed successful student nurses after the examination.
Mr Governor, am giving out this piece of information to inform the misinformed and correct the anomalies. Corp Nurses deserve due recognition and excellent remuneration as accorded their counterpart.

#APieceFromAdamsNote
#NursesAreProfessionals
OMOLOLA ADAMS O
Public Health Nurse

Re: Nurses Are Professionals (part 1) by Bsyno(f): 1:59am On Jun 17, 2016
Well said.
Re: Nurses Are Professionals (part 1) by thessalonica: 5:53am On Jun 17, 2016
Greetings all Are you a Working Nurse here in Nigeria and you want to travel to USA working as a Nurse in a better environment, well paid?? Call Euro Travels today for more info : 08129717799
Re: Nurses Are Professionals (part 1) by heykims(m): 9:27am On Jun 17, 2016
Nice note.
But asides d poor choice of word used by d governor calling nurses medical technicians, the remuneration isn't bad.
15k to nurses is commendable, besides only docs and pharmacists earn more.
After all in public service hospital setting, virtually all health professionals earn more than nurses which is not justifiable though..
Re: Nurses Are Professionals (part 1) by TheArchangel(f): 9:40am On Jun 17, 2016
heykims:
Nice note.
But asides d poor choice of word by d governor calling nurses medical technicians, the remuneration isn't bad.
15k to nurses is commendable, besides only docs and pharmacy earn more
It is bad oooo. We all spend the same 5 years with pharmacy students, sir. A BnSc holder with RN, RM and public health nursing all inclusive.. Haba... It is bad...very bad. No wonder moral is very low on them nurses. Who will perform with such pittance.
Re: Nurses Are Professionals (part 1) by heykims(m): 11:34am On Jun 17, 2016
TheArchangel:
It is bad oooo. We all spend the same 5 years with pharmacy students, sir. A BnSc holder with RN, RM and public health nursing all inclusive.. Haba... It is bad...very bad. No wonder moral is very low on them nurses. Who will perform with such pittance.
My sister, forget d RN, RM, Public health, they are all embedded in Bnsc and it still takes 5yrs. U and I know the major setback degree nurses have. it is their fellow non-degree nurses and other johesu members blocking their chances of renumeral balance.
I personally wonder myself why pharmacists are ranked next to doctors coz with due respect they dont contribute much to patient management in hospital setting they just act like drugs salesmen.
But physiotherapists, medical lab scientists etc are even ranked higher than nurses if I'm right..
Its high time Bnsc nurses stood up against Johesu, they re being marginalized..
Re: Nurses Are Professionals (part 1) by TheArchangel(f): 12:02pm On Jun 17, 2016
heykims:

My sister, forget d RN, RM, Public health, they are all embedded in Bnsc and it still takes 5yrs. U and I know the major setback degree nurses have. it is their fellow non-degree nurses and other johesu members blocking their chances of renumeral balance.
I personally wonder myself why pharmacists are ranked next to doctors coz with due respect they dont contribute much to patient management in hospital setting they just act like drugs salesmen.
But physiotherapists, medical lab scientists etc are even ranked higher than nurses if I'm right..
Yes they all incorporated inside the BnSc degree. I totally agree.
We are doing our best in fighting for what is rightly ours truth be told, but the powers contending against are too numerous. The in-house fighting is really painful to say the least.
Re: Nurses Are Professionals (part 1) by nelszx: 4:55pm On Jun 17, 2016
heykims:

The physiotherapists, Medical laboratory scientist, radiographers and pharmacists are ranked the same it's just nurses who are ranked outside the box. The Crux of their matter is in house once that is settled every other thing fall into play

(1) (Reply)

How To Apply For Medical Visa To India / Men: Does Your Private Part Smell? Then Do This / Help, Her Tips are Not Dark And She Is Afraid It Has A Health Implication.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.