Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,064 members, 7,818,180 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:34 AM

Commercial Banks To Set Naira Rate On Monday Without CBN Intervention - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Commercial Banks To Set Naira Rate On Monday Without CBN Intervention (28878 Views)

Naira Rate Against The Dollar, Pounds And Euros Today 27/04/2017 / ‘this Is Why The Naira Fell Despite CBN Intervention’ – ABCON / Today's Naira Rate Against The Dollar, Pounds And Euro (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Commercial Banks To Set Naira Rate On Monday Without CBN Intervention by Adesiji77: 1:21pm On Jun 18, 2016
LAGOS (Reuters) - Nigeria's commercial banks will set the first exchange rate of the naira versus the dollar when the currency is allowed to float freely on Monday after the central bank abandoned its dollar peg, a senior banking source said on Friday.

On Wednesday, the central bank said it would float the national currency on Monday, but it has given few details on how the new rules will be implemented.

In their first detailed guidance, central bank officials told bank chief executives at a meeting on Friday that lenders would set the first naira rate to the dollar based on demand without intervention from the central bank, one senior banking official told Reuters.

A central bank source said that Governor Godwin Emefiele was at the meeting and confirmed that commercial banks will determine the market rate on Monday.

The central bank officials also told the bankers it did not commit itself to clearing up a backlog of hard currency estimated at around $4 billion but will intervene if needed, the banking official said.

He also said the central bank would open up licenses for primary market dealers beyond the initial target of eight to 10 participants that it had announced on Wednesday.

Bid-offer spreads for trading would be set at one naira, and banks are required to publish their buy and sell rates on a daily basis, the banking source said. The central bank will the evaluate performance of the new regime by December, he added.

Primary dealers can handle volumes of $5 million between themselves as the standard order size and can trade up to $1 million with any other dealer, the source said.

The central bank could not be immediately reached for comment.

http://in.mobile.reuters.com/article/idINKCN0Z324X?irpc=932

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Commercial Banks To Set Naira Rate On Monday Without CBN Intervention by Osgilliat(m): 1:30pm On Jun 18, 2016
This is cool.. You will have to be go from banks to banks to determine the one that will favors you. Thanks to God I'm not having account with only one bank. Let the negotiation begins.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Commercial Banks To Set Naira Rate On Monday Without CBN Intervention by abhosts(m): 1:59pm On Jun 18, 2016
The Banks have been setting their own rates since the Naira Decline Started.

All this Grammar just to tell us things would remain the same.

77 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Commercial Banks To Set Naira Rate On Monday Without CBN Intervention by Thunderlicious: 3:12pm On Jun 18, 2016
Ia dis the CHANGE or part of the CHANGE?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Commercial Banks To Set Naira Rate On Monday Without CBN Intervention by damiplovR(f): 3:13pm On Jun 18, 2016
[b][/b] whatever they like they should do. My own is they should not touch the remaining change in my akkant cry.. Na everytime dem dey collect card maintenance charge for card that I'm holding and maintaining myseff

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Commercial Banks To Set Naira Rate On Monday Without CBN Intervention by tripzalee(m): 3:13pm On Jun 18, 2016
Noted
Re: Commercial Banks To Set Naira Rate On Monday Without CBN Intervention by oppyworld: 3:15pm On Jun 18, 2016
Hmmmmm it is well
Re: Commercial Banks To Set Naira Rate On Monday Without CBN Intervention by dennisworld1(m): 3:15pm On Jun 18, 2016
nor understand. Went to UBA yersteday saw buying rate 196 and selling rate 199. At their board. Someone should make me understand
Re: Commercial Banks To Set Naira Rate On Monday Without CBN Intervention by MissShakara: 3:17pm On Jun 18, 2016
Hope they wount tell US dollar is not available.

2 Likes

Re: Commercial Banks To Set Naira Rate On Monday Without CBN Intervention by jublazer(m): 3:17pm On Jun 18, 2016
o.k by tomorrow we hope there will be no denying .......
Re: Commercial Banks To Set Naira Rate On Monday Without CBN Intervention by goodlifehyd(m): 3:18pm On Jun 18, 2016
I think this is a nice idea thou, could remember when you have to cough out thousands to open an account but now that there are alot of competitions in the market some are even begging to give you an account for free, similarly when you peg your dollar at 360 and Bank B is selling for 300 nobody go tell you to drop ur price or else your customers go just vanish like wind

Well me just dey pass-by

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Commercial Banks To Set Naira Rate On Monday Without CBN Intervention by lollmaolol(m): 3:18pm On Jun 18, 2016
Osgilliat:
This is cool.. You will have to be go from banks to banks to determine the one that will favors you. Thanks to God I'm not having account with only one bank. Let the negotiation begins.

Promiscuity in action

1 Like

Re: Commercial Banks To Set Naira Rate On Monday Without CBN Intervention by mayorkyzo: 3:20pm On Jun 18, 2016
Re: Commercial Banks To Set Naira Rate On Monday Without CBN Intervention by MKO4ever(m): 3:20pm On Jun 18, 2016
This is the best decision this government has taken since they assume power.
And I say congrats to all of us and welcome to a new Nigeria to begin on Monday.
Naira is already appreciating against the dollar (closed at N340 yesterday)
And I say just watch and see what will happen to the currencies on Monday
Within 2 weeks we will all see what will happen to the commodity prices including petrol
This bold step could have been taken a year ago, but as they say it is better late than never

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Commercial Banks To Set Naira Rate On Monday Without CBN Intervention by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jun 18, 2016
cheesy
Re: Commercial Banks To Set Naira Rate On Monday Without CBN Intervention by mccoy47(m): 3:23pm On Jun 18, 2016
Just observing

5 Likes

Re: Commercial Banks To Set Naira Rate On Monday Without CBN Intervention by HAH: 3:23pm On Jun 18, 2016
Simply put the power of demand and supply will determine the price

While this is good, hope the FX cabal will not create a hegemony and shortchange the public

5 Likes

Re: Commercial Banks To Set Naira Rate On Monday Without CBN Intervention by MKO4ever(m): 3:24pm On Jun 18, 2016
jublazer:
o.k by tomorrow we hope there will be no denying .......
it's a public knowledge already, what planet are you living in?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Commercial Banks To Set Naira Rate On Monday Without CBN Intervention by wristbangle: 3:24pm On Jun 18, 2016
Let's see how it goes on monday
Re: Commercial Banks To Set Naira Rate On Monday Without CBN Intervention by Ekejoestar(m): 3:26pm On Jun 18, 2016
J
Re: Commercial Banks To Set Naira Rate On Monday Without CBN Intervention by Xberryz(m): 3:27pm On Jun 18, 2016
Adesiji77:

http://in.mobile.reuters.com/article/idINKCN0Z324X?irpc=932
these over sabi threads self lipsrsealed[quote author=Adesiji77 post=46688654]
Re: Commercial Banks To Set Naira Rate On Monday Without CBN Intervention by Akon419(m): 3:27pm On Jun 18, 2016
good decision comes when buhasri is in exile

8 Likes

Re: Commercial Banks To Set Naira Rate On Monday Without CBN Intervention by 989900: 3:27pm On Jun 18, 2016
Jumping the gun, the source though. undecided
Re: Commercial Banks To Set Naira Rate On Monday Without CBN Intervention by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jun 18, 2016
No changes
Re: Commercial Banks To Set Naira Rate On Monday Without CBN Intervention by Agbgift(f): 3:29pm On Jun 18, 2016
dennisworld1:
nor understand. Went to UBA yersteday saw buying rate 196 and selling rate 199. At their board. Someone should make me understand
I saw same thing too. I was a bit confused. I had to check the date and time on the board to know if what I was seeing was correct. And it was correct.
Re: Commercial Banks To Set Naira Rate On Monday Without CBN Intervention by bighead1(m): 3:30pm On Jun 18, 2016
Sighs, since last year i have been unable to buy items i sell owing to exchange rate, Only God knows how many people this affects too apart from me.
Re: Commercial Banks To Set Naira Rate On Monday Without CBN Intervention by seguno2: 3:30pm On Jun 18, 2016
Good thing that our president is finally abandoning his tight fist, command economy, which has killed our country in just one year.
Re: Commercial Banks To Set Naira Rate On Monday Without CBN Intervention by ThisIsTGF: 3:33pm On Jun 18, 2016
abhosts:
The Banks have been setting their own rates since. the Naira Decline Started.

well said,your comment scored A+,that's what has been going on all this time since dollar rate hiked up

1 Like

Re: Commercial Banks To Set Naira Rate On Monday Without CBN Intervention by ThisIsTGF: 3:39pm On Jun 18, 2016
goodlifehyd:
I think this is a nice idea thou, could remember when you have to cough out thousands to open an account but now that there are alot of competitions in the market some are even begging to give you an account for free, similarly when you peg your dollar at 360 and Bank B is selling for 300 nobody go tell you to drop ur price or else your customers go just vanish like wind

Well me just dey pass-by
lol where did you see this guy,lmao

1 Like

Re: Commercial Banks To Set Naira Rate On Monday Without CBN Intervention by Twistaray(m): 3:46pm On Jun 18, 2016
abhosts:
The Banks have been setting their own rates since the Naira Decline Started.

Not really.
This is a common sense.
If demand is high and the banks sell rate is low demands will reduce because we would all(individuals) rather sell at higher price and buy at lower price.

The logic here is :

Many will be force to import dollars instead of buying, and that? Will Increase nigeria foreign reserve and create a balance.

This is good news! grin

3 Likes

Re: Commercial Banks To Set Naira Rate On Monday Without CBN Intervention by Remii(m): 3:47pm On Jun 18, 2016
Osgilliat:
I guess it should be tabulated in newspapers and available on cbn websites just like their interest rates
Re: Commercial Banks To Set Naira Rate On Monday Without CBN Intervention by Ussyberry(m): 3:47pm On Jun 18, 2016
Where is the list of the 8 to 10 participants?

It was supposed to be released ysday!

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

CBN Introduces New FX Rate For Bdcs / BVN: Banks To Deactivate Unregistered Accounts As Deadline Expires Friday / Naira Dips Against Dollar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.