Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,019 members, 7,818,018 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:49 AM

FG-Ijaw Talks Spark Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG-Ijaw Talks Spark Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta (21617 Views)

Tension In Cross River Communities Over Superhighway / Tension In PDP Over Akpabio's Romance With APC / Fg/ijaw Talks Sparks Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG-Ijaw Talks Spark Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta by papayeye: 12:45am On Jun 19, 2016
•Urhobo, Isoko leaders accuse FG of succumbing to Ijaw blackmail
•I wish government good luck—Kokori
•Negotiation is encouraging criminality in Niger Delta—Idiovwa
•Delta govt calls emergency security meeting over fresh threats

A large number of Niger Delta stakeholders are not impressed by federal government’s ongoing negotiation with Ijaw militants from which other ethnic groups in the geo-political zone are excluded.
The talks are aimed at ending the continuous destruction of oil/gas installations by the Niger Delta Avengers (NDA) which has brought oil production to about 1.2million barrels per day with severe consequences for the economy.

Notable Urhobo and Isoko leaders in Delta State, say the one-sided negotiation will only create more problems than it is seeking to solve.
They are of the view that government should treat the Avengers and others damaging the economy as criminals and not negotiate with them.

The negotiation, it is feared, largely fueled the recent emergence of a militant group in Delta -Utorogu Liberation Movement – which threatened to blow up the strategic Utorogu Gas Plant and other assets under Oil Mining Lease, OML 34 in the state.

Frontline activist and one-time Secretary-General of the Nigerian Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG), Chief Frank Kokori, said he expected those involved in the destruction of the nation’s assets to be treated as criminals.

The Urhobo and Isoko, speaking through the chairman of OML 30 Community Development Board (CBD), Morris Idiovwa, warned the federal government against dialoguing with those destroying oil and gas assets in the name of the Niger Delta as doing so could only degenerate into a fresh round of ethnic wars in the region.
Some ex-militants, under the third phase of the federal government amnesty programme, who are of Urhobo stock threatened to also destroy critical oil and gas assets in their area if that is what would get them federal government’s attention as the Ijaw groups have done.
The Delta State government, reacting to the threat to blow up the Utorogu Gas Plant, convened an emergency security meeting in Jeremi, the headquarters of Ughelli South council area of the state on Thursday.
Asked to comment on the reported negotiation between the federal government and some Ijaw militants, Chief Kokori, who is also a leader of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) in Delta State said: “Have they started negotiating with them? I wish them well if they have identified the right people, but to me I regard people who damage federal infrastructure as criminals.
“I don’t know who they are discussing with and I don’t know the type of negotiation they are holding, but I wish them good luck.”
For his part, Idiovwa, said the Urhobo who are the largest ethnic group, and the Isoko have more critical facilities in their localities than the Ijaw, who he said seemed to have blackmailed the federal government to talk to them by destroying the few assets in their own part of the state.
He said:”What we have been seeing in Delta State is terrifying; especially in the way a single ethnic nationality is taking over the identity of the entire Niger Delta. What is happening is outright criminality and we, as the largest ethnic group in Delta state, are not in support of this.
“We have never been criminals and we don’t want to be criminals. We believe the best way to approach issues is dialogue. But with what we are seeing now, the intelligence we are gathering and what is in the media, a set of people decided to take up arms and disrupt the existing peace in the Niger Delta region because of their selfish interest.
“The federal government has already started inciting an ethnic crisis in Delta state because as we speak now, we have been receiving series of mails, SMS and calls from different regions and groups in Urhobo and Isoko.
“My office is responsible for ensuring safety of life and property here and if the people are aware that the same advantage they have, in terms of assets and production, is what some people in another part are using to get the federal government to come to negotiate with them, because those people have taken to arms struggle and are destroying the assets in their areas, what would you expect from those who have been law abiding, calm and watched over the facilities in their domain?
“So you want to disregard them because they have not taken up arms. This is one move we will resist.
“Government should tread carefully. We are not in support of any criminality by any set of people. We have not mandated Egbesu to negotiate for us, we have not mandated the Avengers, MEND, JNDLF or IYC to negotiate for us. We have not mandated any group to negotiate for the Urhobo or Isoko.
“We are standing on our own and we are telling the federal government that whatever is done for any group should be replicated across the entire Niger Delta states or host communities that are producing, otherwise the outcome will be disastrous.”
Also speaking in Ughelli for members of the third phase of the Amnesty Programme in Urhobo, ‘General’ Gabriel Ogbuge said: “We have been shortchanged and sidelined. What the federal government is doing is very bad. We have all those facilities here, but government has never thought of coming here to hear from us.

“We have been peaceful only because of the efforts of some of our leaders. If not we know what we need to do to get their attention; we have the capacity to inflict the kind of damage the Avengers are inflicting, and remember that more facilities are here.”We see dialogue as a better option and that’s why we have been listening to our leaders. If the federal government wants peace they should do the right thing, and not force us to do what the Avengers are now doing.”
To forestall the festering security crisis in Delta State, the state government convened a security council meeting on Thursday to discuss the new threats surfacing in the Urhobo areas of the state.
Chairman, Ughelli South Council, Paul Etaga, presided at the meeting.
In attendance were oil host community heads and security operatives.

Reviewing the meeting, Etaga said: “From preliminary intelligence report, the group raising the threat are external forces working with some internal collaborators. They gave OML 34 stakeholders, especially community people 14 days to leave the operating environment so that when they come for the attack they won’t be hurt; that they want to come and destroy the gas plant. With that information, the governor immediately directed that I should call an emergency security meeting. The governor is aware and they are putting up measures in place for protection of life and property.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/fgijaw-talks-spark-ethnic-tension-niger-delta/

1 Like

Re: FG-Ijaw Talks Spark Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta by Olayinkaboss(m): 12:47am On Jun 19, 2016
ftc! Ijaw think dey r d only 1 in Nd. even my maternal family 4rm Ondo 2 r Nd

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG-Ijaw Talks Spark Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta by QuotaSystem: 1:05am On Jun 19, 2016
When an agitation is fueled by greed, confusion is bound to thrive.

59 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG-Ijaw Talks Spark Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta by jared007: 1:47am On Jun 19, 2016
The FG has to recognise other Ethnic groups of the Delta. The Urhobos are capable of shutting down power supply in Nigeria being a major producer of gas with many pipelines criss-crossing their communities.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG-Ijaw Talks Spark Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta by malton: 1:51am On Jun 19, 2016
The FG is setting a bad precedence there.

Like Idiovwa rightly pointed out, it will only serve to encourage criminality and instill a kind of, "yeah, that's how to grab them by the balls!" Feeling.

That was a sign of weakness on the part of the government.

A smarter move would have been to allow them carry out a couple more bombings, and then declare a state of emergency as a result. It would have made those nitwits sympathetic-to-their-cause government of theirs sit up. That's if they aren't even the instigators.

The government gave up way too soon. Sad thing is, they did in a cowardly manner while they were so close to achieving results!

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG-Ijaw Talks Spark Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta by Efe3: 3:31am On Jun 19, 2016
some Urhobos too dey do!

so if some alleged Ijaw militants do not rise up to fight against the injustice done to them, Urhobos will stay down being 'law' abiding citizens?

nevertheless, the Urhobos and Isokos have benefited over the years by dominating the state civil service and pulling strings in the state government. all what they've done is rush at crumbs - FG allocation and 13% derivation.

These supposed Ijaw militants appear as wanting to make things change from the federal level vizaviz True federalism, Resource control, Regionalism and Self determination.

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG-Ijaw Talks Spark Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta by Nobody: 4:04am On Jun 19, 2016
I'm Urhobo but we can obviously see that this man isn't entirely condemning the actions of the militants. He is only doing so sentimentally. At the very least He subtly wants the federal government to replicate anything done for the ijaws in other parts of the Delta or risk the up spring of many other terrorist groups.

Whether or not the militants are fighting for their selfish interest is not my business because some of their demands are sensible and no one can deny.

The ND should be the most developed part of this country but it has been largely neglected by the FG. Oil companies that should have their headquarters in the ND have them at Lagos and Abuja, generating more revenue to those states while the communities where the crude is drilled are left devastated and its inhabitants living in penury.

Its quite obvious that negiotiating with the NDA won't stop the agitations, only True Federalism will and that's what every Niger Deltan wants.

44 Likes 5 Shares

Re: FG-Ijaw Talks Spark Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta by Nobody: 4:10am On Jun 19, 2016
Writing in bold won't make your comment more accurate or dumb, if it already is.

Who is greedy here? The militants and the entire Niger Delta asking for True Federalism (control of their own wealth) , or the government that steals and has been stealing our oil wealth for decades now, giving us a meagre 13% while we bear the devastation??
QuotaSystem:
When an agitation is fueled by greed, confusion is bound to thrive.

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG-Ijaw Talks Spark Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta by meccuno: 4:34am On Jun 19, 2016
Criminals
Re: FG-Ijaw Talks Spark Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta by TonyeBarcanista(m): 5:16am On Jun 19, 2016
This is why I can never support criminal armed hustle hiding under Niger delta or Ijaw struggle.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG-Ijaw Talks Spark Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta by mysteriousman(m): 5:19am On Jun 19, 2016
They are right, any gang of criminals can simply do what these guys have done to drag the FG to the table for dialogue

1 Like

Re: FG-Ijaw Talks Spark Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta by jking001(m): 5:33am On Jun 19, 2016
Where are the itsekiri's in all this negotiations? I hope they don't miss out on the action.

3 Likes

Re: FG-Ijaw Talks Spark Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta by omenka(m): 5:37am On Jun 19, 2016
These guys have a genuine grievance. The FG should, as a matter of urgency, reach out to other indigenous groups if peace is being negotiated because they are as much stakeholders in the region as the Ijaws.

That said, I find it indeed sad the FG, just as these guys said, has succumbed to blackmail by agreeing to negotiate at gun-point. Nothing encourages criminality and armed insurrection more than what is going on right now and that is why we are seeing a whole new kind of hustle in the region where as little as a group of three men could come together and form a group with some fancy name, vandalise a pipeline somewhere and give the government an ultimatum!! Before you know it, every lazy slob in the region (I said lazy ones before some idiot says I called all the people of an entire region lazy slobs) would turn to a grenade wielding militant with a twitter handle.

Then again, every criminal politician in the region would also find arming some layabouts with guns and grenades to blow some shiit up the surest way to get a soft landing from an "un co-operating" government.

God help us and heal our land.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG-Ijaw Talks Spark Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta by mokaflex(m): 5:38am On Jun 19, 2016
any attempt to add salt to the injury of this country. we say holygosss fire****
Re: FG-Ijaw Talks Spark Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta by MrEverest(m): 6:05am On Jun 19, 2016
They should go and sit down. they want to reap were they did not sow. the likes Eyari Emami & other itshekiri's & others were busy currying favour & sabotaging the struggle, now its about to payoff, they have all come to enjoy!

3 Likes

Re: FG-Ijaw Talks Spark Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta by hucienda: 6:06am On Jun 19, 2016
Confusion everywhere
Re: FG-Ijaw Talks Spark Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta by Ugomba(m): 6:13am On Jun 19, 2016
Thats why I said that a Niger Delta Republic will be a calamity.
Militias, Fighting among the tribes because the Ijaws will use their numbers and dominate the country.
Who will rule who?
They should just count my Delta North out of their madness.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG-Ijaw Talks Spark Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta by NOETHNICITY(m): 6:58am On Jun 19, 2016
omenka:
These guys have a genuine grievance. The FG should, as a matter of urgency, reach out to other indigenous groups if peace is being negotiated because they are as much stakeholders in the region as the Ijaws.

That said, I find it indeed sad the FG, just as these guys said, has succumbed to blackmail by agreeing to negotiate at gun-point. Nothing encourages criminality and armed insurrection more than what is going on right now and that is why we are seeing a whole new kind of hustle in the region where as little as a group of three men could come together and form a group with some fancy name, vandalise a pipeline somewhere and give the government an ultimatum!! Before you know it, every lazy slob in the region (I said lazy ones before some idiot says I called all the people of an entire region lazy slobs) would turn to a grenade wielding militant with a twitter handle.

Then again, every criminal politician in the region would also find arming some layabouts with guns and grenades to blow some shiit up the surest way to get a soft landing from an "un co-operating" government.

God help us and heal our land.
I blame our surveillance and intelligence agencies especially the DSS. The DSS re not doing their job! I mean what does it really take to ve a comprehensive record and data of all these militants and prospective ones and place them on surveillance! The complacency of the DSS is shamefully dangerous! They re more busy today snuggling around government and state houses wearing big suits seemingly protecting high profile politicians. These militants were busy making threats and the DSS failed to be proactive. The FG posture today unfortunately is one dictated by circumstance! U ll agree with me that there are promises to be fulfilled and time is running out! I understnd that govt jus hve to look for a way round the whole debacle.

3 Likes

Re: FG-Ijaw Talks Spark Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta by donstefano8(m): 7:52am On Jun 19, 2016
NOETHNICITY:
I blame our surveillance and intelligence agencies especially the DSS. The DSS re not doing their job! I mean what does it really take to ve a comprehensive record and data of all these militants and prospective ones and place them on surveillance! The complacency of the DSS is shamefully dangerous! They re more busy today snuggling around government and state houses wearing big suits seemingly protecting high profile politicians. These militants were busy making threats and the DSS failed to be proactive. The FG posture today unfortunately is one dictated by circumstance! U ll agree with me that there are promises to be fulfilled and time is running out! I understnd that govt jus hve to look for a way round the whole debacle.

Seriously, intelligence gathering agencies in the country need to up their game. Lets just give them benefit of the doubt that they are working underground.

1 Like

Re: FG-Ijaw Talks Spark Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta by mrvitalis(m): 8:13am On Jun 19, 2016
Ijaws always feeling like they are the only tribe in Niger Delta.... They know we're there boundary ends sha... .. The ijaws in delta should have be caved in to Bayelsa do we have peace.. . Let them kill themselves in that state

I will keep saying it ijaws are the worst tribe in this country... . Thank GOd the are not a major tribe.. ... we for hear am.. . Fulani would be a small case

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG-Ijaw Talks Spark Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta by Legitbaba(m): 8:26am On Jun 19, 2016
[quote author=mrvitalis post=46709641]Ijaws always feeling like they are the only tribe in Niger Delta.... They know we're there boundary ends sha... .. The ijaws in delta should have be caved in to Bayelsa do we have peace.. . Let them kill themselves in that state

I will keep saying it ijaws are the worst tribe in this country... . Thank GOd the are not a major tribe.. ... we for hear am.. . Fulani would be a small case [/q

Wetin Ijaw do u guy??...what makes Ijaw the worst tribe like u said...?
Re: FG-Ijaw Talks Spark Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta by mrvitalis(m): 8:27am On Jun 19, 2016
[quote author=Legitbaba post=46709909][/quote]
Point on ijaw neighbour that is at peace with them

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG-Ijaw Talks Spark Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 8:29am On Jun 19, 2016
The Ijaws own the Niger Delta.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG-Ijaw Talks Spark Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta by amuokuko: 8:31am On Jun 19, 2016
E be like say nah to start destroying people's borehole pipe for my area sure pass.
At least they will call me for negotiation nd money go come out..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG-Ijaw Talks Spark Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta by Drsheddy(m): 8:32am On Jun 19, 2016
V
Re: FG-Ijaw Talks Spark Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta by Ekejoestar(m): 8:33am On Jun 19, 2016
J
Re: FG-Ijaw Talks Spark Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta by Hillzy(m): 8:33am On Jun 19, 2016
At least there is still some sane pple who still reason like human in dat region. But if u guyz have good intention like dis y don't support n help d fg to fish out this saboteurs, cos if d fg don't know how d creek works I know u guyz will do?

2 Likes

Re: FG-Ijaw Talks Spark Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta by teepsee(f): 8:35am On Jun 19, 2016
I'm still saying, we Nigerians are Nigeria problem. Sentiments and tribalism won't take us anywhere

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG-Ijaw Talks Spark Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta by Proffdada: 8:35am On Jun 19, 2016
To sum it up, ijaws are the fulanis of the south. They have no place of origin and are militant undecided

6 Likes

Re: FG-Ijaw Talks Spark Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta by emeka2847: 8:35am On Jun 19, 2016
Why na?
Re: FG-Ijaw Talks Spark Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta by ALAYORMII: 8:35am On Jun 19, 2016
Divide and conquer

1 Like

Re: FG-Ijaw Talks Spark Ethnic Tension In Niger Delta by tbaba1234: 8:36am On Jun 19, 2016
Millerz:
Writing in bold won't make your comment more accurate or dumb, if it already is.

Who is greedy here? The militants and the entire Niger Delta asking for True Federalism (control of their own wealth) , or the government that steals and has been stealing our oil wealth for decades now, giving us a meagre 13% while we bear the devastation??

How is the FG stealing?? What have our governors done with the 13%derivation? Was the oil resource not developed with federal capital

I agree with resource control but I am afraid, it will just give our governors more to steal. Either way, let each state control their future and pay to the center.

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Okorocha Hijacked APC Officials, Kept Them In Govt House - Sen. Uwajumogu (VID) / What Is Wrong With The Nigerian Youth? / Governors Receive N30bn Each To Reduce Hardships – Akpabio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.