Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,204 members, 7,829,309 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:27 AM

Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens - Business (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens (46059 Views)

Naira Appreciates To N435/$, As CBN Injects $180m. / Naira Appreciates To N455/$ As External Reserves Hit $30bn / Naira Finally Improves At The Interbank Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by LieDetector(m): 7:04pm On Jun 20, 2016
PassingShot:
Happy days are ahead of us.

With the news, the worst of our economic woes are behind us.

Kudos to the government for floating the Naira rather than devaluing it. A first in the history of Nigeria.

*Modified*

Some ignorant mourning wailers are saying floating the naira is same as devaluing it. Hell NO!

If you devalue the Naira, you fix an official exchange rate to it. E.g N250 to a dollar. With that approach, the black market rate will jump to beyond N400 to a dollar.

But with floating, many traders with high volume of dollars come in and trade dollars based on demand. In this approach, there is no official dollar rate set by the government. The rate is purely determined by how much dollars are demanded and how much dollars are available. This way, the Naira finds its true value.
Thanks for the explanation.....

2 Likes

Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by nuelyoyo(m): 7:13pm On Jun 20, 2016
crazymommy:
As expected....about 3 days ago a guy on a thread said he wants to sell his 10000$ Which he said he bought at the rate of 302 but that he wants to wait till it gets to 400naira per dollar,I adviced him that he should better sell it at that moment when it was around 350 because anything can happen on Monday which is today because I believe that the market might possibly fall in between the official price and the last parallel market price and that should be around 250-290.guess what??the guy said I am deceiving myself...that he is very intelligent and he believes that the dollar price will even open higher on Monday which is today....I hope the overconfident ignorant fellow his reading this...the annoying thing about some people on nairaland is that they feel they know it ALL and they are not ready to hear the opinion of any other person especially if it is coming from a woman....smh...
its the interbank that is 253, not the parallel, the parallel still maintains its price if not slightly higher.
Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by erico2k2(m): 7:14pm On Jun 20, 2016
PassingShot:

I can properly school you in economic indices.
When naira was pegged officially at 197, did you see it to buy?

Again, read about differences between devaluation and floating perhaps you will be able to cure your ignorance.
Dont be too quick to jump. These bankers I dnt trust them. Who asked them to put a figure? Was that market forces at play?and the. CBN have they made that announcement promised?or am I missing something
Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by Nobody: 7:31pm On Jun 20, 2016
African man nor dey ever tire to help white man (IMF, WORLD BANK, WALL STREET, CAPITALIST CORPORATIONS) carry him smelling shiiit. All these things are neo colonialism, which of course is the last stage of imperialism. Nigerians always see the politics and not the strategy. We have no control over our economy, we are slaves. You might have a black president but they are all useless, they don't control the economy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by seniwellsFX: 7:51pm On Jun 20, 2016
it's quite unfortunate that many person's do not really have basic economic knowledge and how the forex market works. now there are many economic factors that determine the exchange rate of any nation's currency. these are interest rate,inflation rate,both employment and unemployment rate,trade balance(import and export), production data(manufactured and non manufactured goods), business confidence(purchasing managers index(PMI) which shows how confident business managers are in doing business in that country as well as a measure of their profitability within a specific period), both monetary and fiscal policies,GDP, just to name a few. now for a nations currency to strengthen against its foreign counterpart,all or most of the above listed economic indicies needs to be on the positive side of the treshold or at least within the central bank's forcasted levels. but as of today all economic indicies are beyond emefiele's forcasted levels. nigeria's interest rate is in double digit, unemployment rate that one no need to talk am,inflation rate is at 15%,we have negative trade balance,meaning we are importing more than exporting,fiscal policy of the nigerian gov't never get direction and others. we should'nt be counting our eggs now because of short term price fluctuations. though the new fx policy is good,but if not followed with continues real monetary and fiscal policies it will be useless and both the naira as well as our economy will suffer more in the future. we can only know the effect of these policies after the 3rd and 4th quarter of the financial year of 2016. i still forsee the naira dropping against its major foreign counterparts in the short to medium term(2 to 4 months.between #255-380 interbank rate) due to the economic realities on ground(low oil prices et al).mind you,global economic slowdown is also playing its match internationally. but in the long term if major economic indicies begin to improve the naira will rally(strengthen) and fall below #200/$1. so lets forget about intraday fx price fluctuations and focus more on the longer term price projection of our beloved naira against other fx majors.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by tbaba1234: 8:43pm On Jun 20, 2016
seniwellsFX:
it's quite unfortunate that many person's do not really have basic economic knowledge and how the forex market works. now there are many economic factors that determine the exchange rate of any nation's currency. these are interest rate,inflation rate,both employment and unemployment rate,trade balance(import and export), production data(manufactured and non manufactured goods), business confidence(purchasing managers index(PMI) which shows how confident business managers are in doing business in that country as well as a measure of their profitability within a specific period), both monetary and fiscal policies,GDP, just to name a few. now for a nations currency to strengthen against its foreign counterpart,all or most of the above listed economic indicies needs to be on the positive side of the treshold or at least within the central bank's forcasted levels. but as of today all economic indicies are beyond emefiele's forcasted levels. nigeria's interest rate is in double digit, unemployment rate that one no need to talk am,inflation rate is at 15%,we have negative trade balance,meaning we are importing more than exporting,fiscal policy of the nigerian gov't never get direction and others. we should'nt be counting our eggs now because of short term price fluctuations. though the new fx policy is good,but if not followed with continues real monetary and fiscal policies it will be useless and both the naira as well as our economy will suffer more in the future. we can only know the effect of these policies after the 3rd and 4th quarter of the financial year of 2016. i still forsee the naira dropping against its major foreign counterparts in the short to medium term(2 to 4 months.between #255-380 interbank rate) due to the economic realities on ground(low oil prices et al).mind you,global economic slowdown is also playing its match internationally. but in the long term if major economic indicies begin to improve the naira will rally(strengthen) and fall below #200/$1. so lets forget about intraday fx price fluctuations and focus more on the longer term price projection of our beloved naira against other fx majors.

It closed at above 280 on the first day... It will probably still crash further due to pent-up demand but hopefully it should recover overtime

3 Likes

Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by Ramos16(m): 12:24am On Jun 21, 2016
PassingShot:
Happy days are ahead of us.

With the news, the worst of our economic woes are behind us.

Kudos to the government for floating the Naira rather than devaluing it. A first in the history of Nigeria.

*Modified*

Some ignorant mourning wailers are saying floating the naira is same as devaluing it. Hell NO!

If you devalue the Naira, you fix an official exchange rate to it. E.g N250 to a dollar. With that approach, the black market rate will jump to beyond N400 to a dollar.

But with floating, many traders with high volume of dollars come in and trade dollars based on demand. In this approach, there is no official dollar rate set by the government. The rate is purely determined by how much dollars are demanded and how much dollars are available. This way, the Naira finds its true value.

Then you will see that the true value of the Naira is 1 dollars to 800 naira
Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by berrystunn(m): 2:09am On Jun 21, 2016
greatiyk4u:

Who re the "us"?

Say no to drugs expecially fake once.
Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by Lush100(m): 3:13am On Jun 21, 2016
Hello,
when terminologies like "floating" is used in economics, it is to depict the action of the user to which action is tending towards.
In my opinion,
the rate u see quoted is not the actual rate of the naira.
government has to provide an "interim" rate which they deem a little sufficient for buyers to make a decision.
the demand based on this rate will tend d rate either backward or forward.
however to me I to not see the policy as effective.
it's only a stop gap measure for CBN to collate demand and meet them at once before reverting back to its hold.
but Nigeria is an import dependent nation.
and most business flows are spurred by speculation.
if the government cannot stop BDC & trading directly for business across the shore rather than supply dollars in cash then its likely to fail.
speculators are acting and also waiting for the slump of the naira. we aren't producing for which government is trading on behalf of
that why once d rate was float investor(_mostly Nigerians with foreign flows) quickly pumped into the NSE (_stock exchange) ,knowing that the same dollar will go more naira sooner) ,
most BDC for now will not sell.(no ,profit)
but they will also apply for dollar and then hoard.
by the time new demands are pressing, u will see the black market at it again.
Hence it won't take long for Naira to lose more value.

govt should 1)keep to stance that oil marketers source for the dollars elsewhere except CBN so as to mop from BDC
2) speed up & start the dangote refinery to induce local production and free dollar drive since its our major import.(dangote also request dollar to get it raw materials &_expert paid)
it will be later an export when we have excess
3) CBN should stop direct dollar cash however we need to start producing starting with dangote refinery.
in all the new measure is short term,
we will still peg the naira latter.
my opinion.
still don't know why we can't produce steel from ajaokuta.
the Russian would have been the best to do that and without dollars too. just saying
Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by drtonyo(m): 6:13am On Jun 21, 2016
The official floating of the Naira opened at the Interbank on Monday, 20th of June after decades of a Naira peg by successive Nigerian Governments and Central Bank Governors.

The CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele had last Wednesday announced to the world that Nigeria would be introducing a new exchange rate policy that will see the price of the dollar dictated by market forces rather than a fixed exchange rate.

We have been monitoring activities all day and after several speculations can now reveal a summary of what transpired at the market.

Highlights

The naira was quoted at 254 when the interbank foreign-exchange market opened on Monday, removing the peg of 197-199 that the central bank had in place from February 2015.
Amount sold was US$532,867,169.11
The highest rate bidder for the day was NGN382.00/US$
The lowest rate traded on Monday NGN197.00/US$
The exchange rate closed at NGN280.00/US$ according to Reuters
The official closing rate aka spot rate for the day was N288.85
No of banks that traded today were 21
The exchange rate therefore depreciated by 46% assuming FMDQ spot rates
Our sources indicate Parallel market rates closed at N345
According to Reuters “The central bank started auctioning dollars in the spot and forwards markets around midday to try and clear a backlog of orders for hard currency.”

1 Like

Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by ayibatari99(m): 7:06am On Jun 21, 2016
AtlanticBreeze:

keep deceiving yourself.. This is not the first time Naira is being floated.. It was floated during babangida's regime and that was what crashed the strength of the naira to dollar then.. Let's see if naira doenst hit 500 to 1 dollar in few weeks time
Hmmmmmm!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed i smell IPOB or IPAD... Ayyahh!! seems not happy with the positive changes occurring. More goody goodies are on the way, so better learn how to be with it or quickly go and hug a huge 132KV transformer shocked tongue tongue grin cool.
Long live PMB... Carry on Sir.
Long Live one Nigeria....

4 Likes

Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by iwaeda: 9:52am On Jun 21, 2016
OJaySeenson:
You are wrong sir. All these items have already been quoted in dollars for a long time. I can't remember the last time I bought a plane ticket whose price was quoted in naira. Since they were already holding dollar positions before today, the prices are not significantly going to change. At least not the dollar rates, at least. I could be wrong though. Just an opinion.

Did you check how much it closed last night.
Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by dokgen(m): 9:50pm On Jun 21, 2016
House, please i need 3000 DOLLAR/EUROS OOOO. who has . whatsapp number[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font] +639369428692
Re: Naira Quoted At 253/$ As Interbank Market Opens by MurphyG1(m): 5:30pm On Jun 23, 2016
Ogetogeo:

Not parallel market rate but interbank rates. That is how much banks can buy from bigger banks that CBN has assigned.

Its like this, CBN pegged the dollar at 197 and were the only bank that could sell at that rate but now they have changed the peg to about 250 but have other partners banks that can sell to smaller banks at that rates.

Ok. I understand. Thanks!

So, no bank can sell to you at that rate technically.

Forget all the economic jargons.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Innoson Vs Gtbank: 30 Key Points To Know About Their Dispute / How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business / Trouble As China Dumps Nigerian Crude Oil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.