Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,266 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:31 AM

Laws Should Not Restrict Freedom Of Worship – Osinbajo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Laws Should Not Restrict Freedom Of Worship – Osinbajo (917 Views)

PDP To Lai Mohammed: "You Can't Censor The Media, It's Called Freedom Of Speech" / Freedom Of Speech And Right To Privacy Is Our Prerogative - JMPP Youth Leader / Laws Should Not Restrict Freedom Of Worship- Osinbajo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Laws Should Not Restrict Freedom Of Worship – Osinbajo by copley: 8:00am On Jun 21, 2016
Vice President Yemi Osinbajo has said that laws should
not be made to restrict the freedom of worship in the
country.
Osinbajo said this in a keynote address at the “First
National Judicial Roundtable on The Intersection between
Law and Religion’’ at the National Judicial Institute, Abuja
on Monday.
The vice president insisted that in a situation where the
laws were made in line with provisions of the Nigerian
Constitution, such laws must be “reasonably justifiable’’.
He averred that the protection of freedom of worship and
the practice of one’s beliefs was crucial especially in a
democratic society.
“Those laws according to the Nigerian Constitution where
they restrict freedom of worship, must be “reasonably
justifiable” in a democratic society in the interest of
defence, public safety, public order, public morality or
public health.
“Or for the purpose of protecting the rights and freedom
or other persons.
“It is this test that restrictive laws should satisfy every law
that seeks to restrict religious freedom, that is, is this
legislation reasonably justifiable in a democratic society
for the protection of one of the listed public goods?

“The crucial question with respect to such laws is whether
they should be allowed to exercise prior restraint?
“For example should there be licensing of places of
worship or the dissemination of religious information?
“Or should the laws punish offending conduct when it
occurs, such as the dissemination of hate speech?
“Is it reasonably justifiable in a democratic society to make
laws that restrict freedom of speech by the fact that it says
you must seek permission before you can make certain
types of public utterances?’’
Osinbajo noted that prior-restraint “is open to abuse, will
unduly restrict freedom of worship and is probably
unconstitutional’’.
He acknowledged that freedom of speech is not only a
fundamental right (in its own right) but it is also the vehicle
for the realisation of other rights.
He, however, said that the laws must however, be
enforced to punish offensive conduct such as the
dissemination of hate speech or the perpetration of
unlawful acts under the guise of religious beliefs.
The vice president emphasised that courts must be more
careful to maintain their neutrality in the trial of such
matters.
Osinbajo said that there was the need to deal with violent
extremism emanating from religion.
He said the ideology of violent extremism such as that
perpetrated by Boko Haram or ISIL rejects the common
basis for human interaction under domestic laws of most
societies and international law.
“The extremists reject the inalienable freedoms and rights
of others, they reject the known universal mechanisms for
negotiation, compromise, and resolution of differences.
“They seek to impose their world-view by force of terror
on others.
“Consequently there is no reasoning with these groups.
“The rest of society who reject this bloodthirsty approach
to spreading a set of beliefs must be prepared to sustain a
war against extremism which must lead to the military
defeat of its forces but more importantly victory in the
ideological battle.’’
Osinbajo said there is no question at all that there are
important intersections between law as an instrument of
social control and religion especially in so far as it tends to
define moral parameters and borders.
The Administrator of NJI, Justice Roseline Bozimo,
represented by the Institute’s Secretary, Mal. Abubakar
Maidama, said the roundtable was aimed at forging
harmony and eliminating religious extremism.
She said religion ought to be used as a tool for promotion
of societal development rather than violence adding that
both religion and law established standards for
development.
The Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Mahmud Mohammed,
represented by Justice Kudirat Kekere-Ekun, noted that
there was great relationship between religion and law as
most legal systems drew from religious practice.
He said the topic was one that would ensure the peace in
the country and pledged the commitment of the judiciary
to ensure its success.

Read more @www.buzorpages.com/2016/06/laws-should-not-restrict-freedom-of.html
Re: Laws Should Not Restrict Freedom Of Worship – Osinbajo by BlackSeptember: 8:03am On Jun 21, 2016
Osibanjo stop behaving like a woman. Call El Rufai and Aregbesola out instead of padding words like a 90yr old woman licking candy

3 Likes

Re: Laws Should Not Restrict Freedom Of Worship – Osinbajo by Ronpet777(m): 8:06am On Jun 21, 2016
BlackSeptember:
Osibanjo stop behaving like a woman. Call El Rufai and Aregbesola out instead of padding words like a 90yr old woman licking candy
When handling such a sensitive issue,diplomacy must be adopted.U don't just call out pple in such a way.They are executive governors in a Federalized govt!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Laws Should Not Restrict Freedom Of Worship – Osinbajo by IykeChukz(m): 8:08am On Jun 21, 2016
Pastor/Politician Osinbajo...

The record shall show

1 Like

Re: Laws Should Not Restrict Freedom Of Worship – Osinbajo by BlackSeptember: 8:09am On Jun 21, 2016
Ronpet777:

When handling such a sensitive issue,diplomacy must be adopted.U don't just call out pple in such a way.They are executive governors in a Federalized govt!
dogo turenci he is the VP and this issue has been heating up the polity while he turn a blind eye because he is scared of the Islamist around him.

Buhari the daft has rendered him useless

2 Likes

Re: Laws Should Not Restrict Freedom Of Worship – Osinbajo by chibestjerry(m): 8:10am On Jun 21, 2016
Ronpet777:

hmmm but i do nt think his speech was anyhow targeted at anybdy..... In some part i support elufia but i do nt support osun own
Re: Laws Should Not Restrict Freedom Of Worship – Osinbajo by whitestar01(m): 8:10am On Jun 21, 2016
But if at all , boko haram religion is never ideal.
"Blood suckin deamons"

3 Likes

Re: Laws Should Not Restrict Freedom Of Worship – Osinbajo by Ronpet777(m): 8:15am On Jun 21, 2016
BlackSeptember:
dogo turenci he is the VP and this issue has been heating up the polity while he turn a blind eye because he is scared of the Islamist around him.

Buhari the daft has rendered him useless
U said it urself dt he is d VP,as such,wot right has he to openly condemn a regulation at a time like this?.Don't forget he is only acting as a proxy.This is democracy and not autocracy !!!

1 Like

Re: Laws Should Not Restrict Freedom Of Worship – Osinbajo by iamblisz(m): 8:16am On Jun 21, 2016
And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall set thee free, tell that to el rufai

1 Like

Re: Laws Should Not Restrict Freedom Of Worship – Osinbajo by gare(f): 8:17am On Jun 21, 2016
Ronpet777:

Are they really behaving like one? This guys a fanatics and should be allowed to get to the corridors of Power, is Tinubu not a Moslem, did you see him bring up such laws in Lagos state, when you give powers to fanatics they go to the extreme. Look at the embarrassing crisis on hijab in OSUN state now he has come out deny he never gave that instruction.

2 Likes

Re: Laws Should Not Restrict Freedom Of Worship – Osinbajo by BlackSeptember: 8:19am On Jun 21, 2016
Ronpet777:

U said it urself dt he is d VP,as such,wot right has he to openly condemn a regulation openly at a time like this.Don't forget he is only acting as a proxy. This is democracy and not autocracy !!!
Tell Buhari the daft

2 Likes

Re: Laws Should Not Restrict Freedom Of Worship – Osinbajo by Ronpet777(m): 8:21am On Jun 21, 2016
gare:

Are they really behaving like one? This guys a fanatics and should be allowed to get to the corridors of Power, is Tinubu not a Moslem, did you see him bring up such laws in Lagos state, when you give powers to fanatics they go to the extreme. Look at the embarrassing crisis on hijab in OSUN state now he has come out deny he never gave that instruction.

I understand ur point quite well,but as a leader especially when u r acting as proxy,u don't take such stance.He can only diffuse His msg in a clear but yet diplomatic way.These so called fanatics too hv such porous sections of d law they hinge on.Hence,Osinbajo had to tread softly.

1 Like

Re: Laws Should Not Restrict Freedom Of Worship – Osinbajo by Young03(m): 8:34am On Jun 21, 2016
osibanjo and hypocrisy ar like beans n akamu

1 Like

Re: Laws Should Not Restrict Freedom Of Worship – Osinbajo by kingsman66(m): 8:55am On Jun 21, 2016
osinbajo is only appalling wisdom
Re: Laws Should Not Restrict Freedom Of Worship – Osinbajo by CACAWA(m): 9:28am On Jun 21, 2016
chibestjerry:

hmmm but i do nt think his speech was anyhow targeted at anybdy..... In some part i support elufia but i do nt support osun own
why can't you support Osun?

So Muslim ladies should be forced to walk around with their hair uncovered when Islam totally prohibits it?

Isn't that against the VP's speech considering that these girls have a right to OBEY their religion?

So what if Islam says Muslim Ladies should not even GO to schools, will you force them out?

If Islam allows you to do something PROVIDeD you cover your hair...why should a law refuse that right?

Left to me...if Christians want to wear Robes to schools and to the markets...we should allow them...

If it were that important to them...and if they could cope with it....ci am sure they would have been doing it before now...so we should allow law of diminishing returns set in naturally.
Re: Laws Should Not Restrict Freedom Of Worship – Osinbajo by chibestjerry(m): 3:25pm On Jun 22, 2016
CACAWA:
why can't you support Osun?

So Muslim ladies should be forced to walk around with their hair uncovered when Islam totally prohibits it?

Isn't that against the VP's speech considering that these girls have a right to OBEY their religion?

So what if Islam says Muslim Ladies should not even GO to schools, will you force them out?

If Islam allows you to do something PROVIDeD you cover your hair...why should a law refuse that right?

Left to me...if Christians want to wear Robes to schools and to the markets...we should allow them...

If it were that important to them...and if they could cope with it....ci am sure they would have been doing it before now...so we should allow law of diminishing returns set in naturally.
wow u make my day..... So you are trying to say islam must be obey everywia..... The school have thier rules and law and i believe wearing veil is nt part of thier school uniform.... thank for replying me decently i swear i learn alot from you reply thanks tell me more please if u can
Re: Laws Should Not Restrict Freedom Of Worship – Osinbajo by CACAWA(m): 7:00pm On Jun 22, 2016
chibestjerry:

wow u make my day..... So you are trying to say islam must be obey everywia..... The school have thier rules and law and i believe wearing veil is nt part of thier school uniform.... thank for replying me decently i swear i learn alot from you reply thanks tell me more please if u can
ah ah...
Re: Laws Should Not Restrict Freedom Of Worship – Osinbajo by chibestjerry(m): 7:34pm On Jun 22, 2016
CACAWA:
ah ah...
lol nice one

(1) (Reply)

Meet Newly Appointed Nigeria Inspectorgeneral Of Police IGP Ibrahim Kpotun Idris / Hon. Uju Kingsley Chima: In The Shadow Of A Shining Star / Tough Times Don’t Last, Silverbird’ll Be Back – Murray-bruce

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.