Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,012 members, 7,817,984 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:39 AM

Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? (2868 Views)

Marriage: Should Husband And Wife Have Secrets / American Wife To Get $530million In Britain's Biggest Divorce Payout / 20-year-old Nigerian & His 65-year-old American Wife (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by spikedcylinder: 6:56pm On Sep 01, 2009
@ Stilly and Sauron, you guys should get a room and stop using me as bench. tongue

Tanna, if you look like the person in your profile then its not a big deal, especially after 4 kids. I've seen worse.
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Tanna(f): 7:09pm On Sep 01, 2009
@spikedcylinder- Thank you.

yes i do- I might have a little more tummy- but that pic is very close.

The problem is now HE is suddenly behaving as if there is a problem. :-( This is stressing me. I am already nervous about going, I don't want to be insecure while I am there.

he is a good man. i don't think there is any underlying problems, His malcontent has all been about my weight since the trip draws nearer.

I know I should look good for him. In fact, when we go out on dates I always do my best to look sexy. I think i do a good because he can't keep his hands off of me, he walks proudly with me here- you know how a man walks with his girl when he knows other people are checking her out-- But now going to Nigeria--its like I am not good enough as I am, as ai have been for years. sad undecided embarassed
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 7:11pm On Sep 01, 2009
Hit the gym with him.
you work on the weight, if you wanna do it for him and for yourself.
he works on his abs, for more packs
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:36pm On Sep 01, 2009
Tanna, stop stressing. You described your husbands body in your first post, and their was pride in that. Just make the effort and worry less, don't make a mountain out of a molehill.
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Hauwa1: 8:18pm On Sep 01, 2009
nig men sef undecided
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Sep 01, 2009
load up on iro, buba, boubou and other African wears that can compliment your figure.

Your husband knows how people talk, thats why he's worried.

Make an effort to lose some weight, so he can at least see you're trying.

If the people at home cant see the 4 kids and add two and two together, then thats their own problem.

They may still talk and complain regardless anyway.
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by spikedcylinder: 8:59pm On Sep 01, 2009
tpia.:

They may still talk and complain regardless anyway.

True.
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by posakosa(m): 9:42pm On Sep 01, 2009
let him phuck you until all of the fat leaves your body, trust me u don't have to go to the gym.
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Outstrip(f): 1:04am On Sep 02, 2009
Not fair. Why don't you tell him that he is ruining this for you. I can just tell from what you wrote that you were really excited and he has dashed that to pieces. He is being a little selfish here and even if his family will talk he should be able to handle it. Maybe his parents saw you and said something when they got home and your husband was embarrassed by it. My uncle's wife weighs more than you and she went to Nigeria for the first time a few years ago and she was well taking care of. Your husband is the problem here not you.
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by JustGood(m): 12:44pm On Sep 02, 2009
I am not sure how your husband put this to you but I dont think its a big deal if your husband wants you to look good so he can be proud of you.

Is it not something to be happy about if your husband wants you to look good for him? Perhaps I'm being naive about this
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by r231(m): 2:40pm On Sep 02, 2009
Tanna:

1. No I was not Big when we were dating. I gained more weight with each child over the years. But I have been big LONGER than the years I was normal weight.

2. About the visa- He actually applied for Nigerian passports for the kids, I did not qualify for a Nigerian passport [/b]so he applied for a visa for me. All at the same time. He showed me the kids passports, but keeps saying more info is needed for my visa, [b]Like a 2nd letter of invitation from his family, and one thing after another. he never showed me the letter from the consulate to prove they are really requesting more info. He keeps saying he has it in his office at work and keeps forgetting to bring it home for me to read.

3. I am not huge. I have been asked to model since I have been this size. Men check me out or flirt with me all the time, american and otherwise. so its not like I'm not attractive. That's why I don't understand this sudden concern-- and RUSH for me to lose weight for the trip. Sure I probably should try to lose weight-- but he is behaving as if it it urgent for the trip.

4. I am the size of Jennifer Hudson when she played in DreamGirls. My profile has a pic to example my size. That's not me, but looks a lot like me.

sorry guys for going off topic but pls is dis TRUE
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 3:06pm On Sep 02, 2009
Seems like all the excitement of visiting Nigeria for the first time is almost all gone.
just hang in there
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Tanna(f): 5:43pm On Sep 02, 2009
The Point IS, I do look good. he always made me believe I look good, but now suddenly- we are going to Nigeria and I am just finding out that we've been living a lie. I look good enough for America, but not good enough for Nigeria?! that makes no sense.

If I did not look good, then he should have told me looong before a trip to Naija was planned. I can't be attractive in 1 city and a baboon in the next-- when the husband is still the same.

i will try to lose some weight, but I am angry because he should want me to lose weight for good health, NOT JUST to show off for his people. And if my weight was no problem here in the U.S., then there should be no urgency to drop pounds BEFORE the trip.
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 6:31pm On Sep 02, 2009
Tanna:

The Point IS, I do look good. he always made me believe I look good, but now suddenly- we are going to Nigeria and I am just finding out that we've been living a lie. I look good enough for America, but not good enough for Nigeria?! that makes no sense.

If I did not look good, then he should have told me looong before a trip to Naija was planned. I can't be attractive in 1 city and a baboon in the next-- when the husband is still the same.

i will try to lose some weight, but I am angry because he should want me to lose weight for good health, NOT JUST to show off for his people. And if my weight was no problem here in the U.S., then there should be no urgency to drop pounds BEFORE the trip.

It is ok to feel the way u do, however, u need to let it go and dont allow that to come btw your marriage, plsssssssssssssss.
Forgive him and let it go.
he loves you and that is all that matters.
have fun in Nija and try and get on Molue in Lagos and ride okada as well
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by davidif: 5:58am On Sep 03, 2009
there are many obese women in naija and yorubas have their fare share so it is not like you will be the only BBW woman in your plane let alone his village because until recently the only gym we saw in naija was via TV and magazines.

ha ha ha ha ha haha that's very true for most Nigerians.

By the way, tanna, is that your picture shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked, omo good luck keeping the boys off you.
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by NainaS(f): 11:33pm On Sep 03, 2009
I think it is important to sit down with him and have a heart to heart. Ask him to be honest with you and explain why all of a sudden he is concerned about your weight. The truth may sting but it's better than lies. If you can do that, then you can decide how to proceed.

Would it benefit YOU to lose weight? Would it make you feel better, up your self esteem etc?!? If so, go ahead and take steps to lose weight. You will win and so will he. Would it NOT benfit you to lose weight?!? If there are no obvious benefits to you losing weight, then weigh (no pun intended) how important your husband's desires are. If you want to make him happy and he's going to be happy if you drop some weight then do that. If nothing is going to make him happy, do nothing and let that be.

Hope this helps!
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by spoilt(f): 2:51am On Sep 04, 2009
Tell that husband of yours to * & $ % # @ # # @ % ^

I'll just leave it alone. Im sure you get my point. grin
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:57am On Sep 04, 2009
lose weight, he probably doesnt want to be the butt of his friends jokes. grin Men subconciously want their friends to approve of their mates eh.

do some jogging.
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by spoilt(f): 3:00am On Sep 04, 2009
How come it wasnt a problem till the trip to Naija drew nigh?
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by mrsb(f): 2:32pm On Sep 14, 2009
Sweetie, I'm so sorry. My husband did exactly the same thing to me the first time I ever came to Nigeria. LOL. I can laugh now remembering it but I was so damn confused at the time. Our son was about 6 months old and I was still chubby. We were invited to come over to Lagos for his brother's wedding and this guy who up til now never gave a shit what I wore, how my hair looked, how my baby belly looked - started freaking out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn. He even took me shopping for the first time EVER and bought me a ridiculously expensive designer suit - of course I milked it and got shoes and a bag too. Lol.

I told him to back off one day and he yelled back at me about how it was the first time I was coming to Lagos as his wife (I'd visited as his girlfriend a few times) and EVERYONE was going to be there and blah blah blah. I found it kind of sweet in a twisted sort of way. Anyway I came over, dressed to kill and knocked em dead - the rest as they say is history. Lol. And all the family and guests were totally decked out (of course) so he was really protecting me.

His mum (Yoruba) is hard work though and whilst she doesn't say anything to me directly (although she says it all with her eyes!) she's gives my sister's-in-law hard time about their weight. Its like she is obsessed.
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by ayomidej(f): 5:01pm On Sep 15, 2009
Size is not a problem in the Yoruba culture, maybe your husband has boasted to his friends that his wife is a slim woman (LEPA) and now you are going to naija, he wants you to lose some weight. If I were you I will not give in to him easily, I will lose on my own terms and its good to lose weight because of any health problems.

How many stones do you weigh - 20, 40 60, 80 or 100 grin
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by agathamari(f): 7:08pm On Sep 17, 2009
hell no.  its upto you to decide about your weight.  its your body, you wouldnt alow an american man to tell you to loose wight (most arnt stupid enough to even mention it) so why so it for a nigerian man?  if you want to loose weight for you then go ahead, if he wants you to bcause he is aout to get caught in some lie he told his buddies, well tough shit
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Tanna(f): 3:57am On Sep 19, 2009
JUST AN UPDATE:[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][color=#990000][/color]

I hired a personal fitness trainer just a few days after I made the original post. So far, there has been a lot of sweat- and even some tears front he hard work. I don't think I have lost anything yet as its only been a few weeks, but I expect to have some progress by October 1st.

Hubby is pleased to see me exercising, so there is no tension about the whole issue anymore - he's just anticipating some results within the next few months.

I'm trying- for him, and for me i guess.
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by bawomolo(m): 8:51pm On Sep 20, 2009
Well- i am healthy- I'm just overweight.

yeah right

ayomidej:

Size is not a problem in the Yoruba culture, maybe your husband has boasted to his friends that his wife is a slim woman (LEPA) and now you are going to naija, he wants you to lose some weight. If I were you I will not give in to him easily, I will lose on my own terms and its good to lose weight because of any health problems.

How many stones do you weigh - 20, 40 60, 80 or 100 grin

what's with UK people and stones. didn't they tell you olodo's about pounds and kilos in school cheesy
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Theblessed(f): 11:03pm On Sep 20, 2009
[b]No, I do not think anyone should have to make any such changes before going to anywhere in this world, ok!  I suggest, they get there first and decide for themselves.  However, with regards to health issues, one can make the changes right out there if need be.  But knowing Nigeria, you don't need to do that much because the climate would shift some of it for you i.e. the outdoor life, the walk about and the sun shine, Haba! 

Anyway, do you feel over-weight and uncomfortable in your own body right now?  If so then, do something - mainly for your HEALTH/COMPLICATIONS that can result from obesity e.g Chronic diseases such as Diabetes, Coronary Heart Diseases, Respiratory problems, Cancer, Fatigue as well as the physical limitations obesity can throw in (i.e. Can't walk, can't run, can't reposition self in bed and in certain situations, can't even wash or wipe one's own back side properly due to the MASS OF FLESH covering certain areas of the body etc).  These are just few of the realities of obesity.  So, don't think it's a bad idea to loose 1 or 2 stones at the end of the day, whose life is at risk here, anyway? Yours! So if you can, do it for yourself and kids.  Good luck!!
[/b]
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Theblessed(f): 11:30pm On Sep 20, 2009
bawomolo:

yeah right

what's with UK people and stones. didn't they tell you olodo's about pounds and kilos in school  cheesy

[size=18pt]Please, show us how the UK people become the Olodo here?  If the person who stole their language and tried to make it his by changing certain quarters to suit himself is not an Olodo, I wonder who is. 

Yet, at the end of the day, both POUNDS, KILOS, STONES etc are of European construct - Pounds and Stones are ENGLISH LANGUAGE that belongs to the ENGLISH hence British English. Kilogrammes is a FRENCH construct and belongs to the FRENCH.  Now, show us the AMERICAN'S above, let us see!  You have the guts to use our language and make unnecessary noises, how dare you
[/size]
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by agabaI23(m): 11:37pm On Sep 20, 2009
Are you not the lady that went to Nigeria sometime and your brother in law forced himself on you? The picture on your profile rings a bell. It is either you have put up this topic before or, you are the one or may be the picture there is not yours!
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Busybody2(f): 1:47am On Sep 21, 2009
Theblessed:

[size=18pt]Please, show us how the UK people become the Olodo here?  If the person who stole their language and tried to make it his by changing certain quarters to suit himself is not an Olodo, I wonder who is. 

Yet, at the end of the day, both POUNDS, KILOS, STONES etc are of European construct - Pounds and Stones are ENGLISH LANGUAGE that belongs to the ENGLISH hence British English. Kilogrammes is a FRENCH construct and belongs to the FRENCH.  Now, show us the AMERICAN'S above, let us see!  You have the guts to use our language and make unnecessary noises, how dare you
[/size]

CHEI, ROFLMAO grin grin grin
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Busybody2(f): 1:48am On Sep 21, 2009
@ Topic/Post/Thread

Heaven helps that husband cool cool cool
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by agabaI23(m): 1:53am On Sep 21, 2009
According to this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=66979.msg1304657#msg1304657

and this post from the thread
My husband has not been home in 15 years so we went to Abuja to visit. I met all the family and had a great time. Everyone complimented me on how pretty I was, so when his particular brother always looking at me lustfully - I ignored it - and try not to have a big head for being attractive.

My husband and I were given this brother's room to stay for our visit. The night before we came back to the US. he and all his brothers, and cousins, and old pals from school went out  to party and drink. This one brother came back to the house early because he had work the next day.

He came into the bedroom  and I was there asleep. At first I thought it was my husband, but
the way he approach me for sex was not my husband style - and my husband already told me no sex for us in his family's house.

I said "Who is this?" - he said "I know you want me - i've been catching your eye too". He was very drunk I think from the smell of his breath. This man forced himself on me sexually.   I DID Fight him to get off me, but I never screamed because I did not want to wake the house or be caught in this horrible situation. Finally I lay there and hoped it would end quickly.

Later My hubby came back and I pretended to be asleep. I was shocked.

The next day we were at the airport to fly back to the US. I was very quiet and acting sad He thought I was just sick.

I never told my husband what happened. I was too scared and ashamed. The thought that I would even claim this has happened to me would tear his family apart - and he was just seeing them after 15 years of absence.

Now it's 3 months later and I am pregnant. My husband had a vasectomy 3 years ago so I cannot tell my husband I am pregnant - talk less of saying I am pregnant cause his own flesh and blood attacked me during our trip to his home.

I don't know if this brother planned to do this since I was leaving the country the next day, or maybe because he was drunk and knew no better - I really do not care. I feel like a used animal and my husband may beat or divorce me when he learns I am pregnant because he will think I have committed adultery.

WHAT DO I DO?

You have visited naija which is what I was trying to recall above. Let us assume that you travelled then with a visiting Visa, why would you tell us you are going to see his brothers and sisters for the first time when one of the brothers raped you?

What are trying to find out? Something does not add up here. I stand to be corrected though.
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Busybody2(f): 2:05am On Sep 21, 2009
agabaI23:

According to this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=66979.msg1304657#msg1304657

and this post from the thread
You have visited naija which is what I was trying to recall above. Let us assume that you travelled then with a visiting Visa, why would you tell us you are going to see his brothers and sisters for the first time when one of the brothers raped you?

What are trying to find out? Something does not add up here. I stand to be corrected though.

INSPECTOR GADGET/DANGERMOUSE IN THE HOUSE cool cool cool
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by agabaI23(m): 2:10am On Sep 21, 2009
Busybody in the house everybody take cover. Be careful with what you say grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Hot Tempered Husband Beats Me ...but I Still Love Him / How Did You Meet Your Spouse? / Morals/lessons You Will Teach Your Kids

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.