Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,081 members, 7,835,644 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:55 PM

President Robert Mugabe Steps Down - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / President Robert Mugabe Steps Down (1142 Views)

Zimbabwean President, Robert Mugabe Resigns After 37 Years / Robert Mugabe Steps Down In Tears After 37 Years As President / Sacked Zimbabwean President, Robert Mugabe: 10 Things You Never Knew About Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Robert Mugabe Steps Down by miteolu(m): 11:58am On Jun 21, 2016
President Robert Mugabe told thousands of children attending celebrations to mark the Day of the African Child in Harare that he is on his way out and wants his successors to do a better job.
Mugabe the only leader Zimbabwe has known since independence 36 years ago -- has used all manner of tactics to cling to power, including alleged violence against political opponents and electoral fraud.

A few weeks ago, Mugabe (92), declared he wanted to stay on while First Lady Grace Mugabe told the recent Zanu PF million-man-march that "he will rule from the National Heroes Acre".

Constitutionally, Mugabe can run for one more term, which will end in 2022. But officially opening the 24th Children's Parliament yesterday, the veteran ruler admitted his days were numbered.
"Once upon a time, I was like you. But I am not like you anymore. I am on my way out," he said.

"But when I look over my shoulder, I would want to see bold and courageous men. I want to look behind and say those coming will be better than me."
"That is what we always fight to do. To be better than our parents, initially be like them but strive to be better."
Meanwhile, children who spoke at the occasion painted horrifying images of what they go through in their daily lives, especially their rural counterparts.
This was after Youth minister Patrick Zhuwao had told Mugabe that his government's policies showed a deep commitment to addressing the needs of young people.
"The policies of our government are addressing the various needs of our children," he said.
"Our youth must be given space to fight for Zimbabwe's economic independence."
The government was called upon to take the Child Parliament seriously and not treat it like "a Christmas Day".
"The government should do something to help children in the rural areas," he said.

http://omoboriowo..com.ng/2016/06/president-robert-mugabe-steps-down.html#more

Re: President Robert Mugabe Steps Down by zico530(m): 12:01pm On Jun 21, 2016
Good for him
Re: President Robert Mugabe Steps Down by dunkem21(m): 12:07pm On Jun 21, 2016
GEJ's aura flowing through the continent tongue

1 Like

Re: President Robert Mugabe Steps Down by Rose2014: 12:21pm On Jun 21, 2016
dunkem21:
GEJ's aura flowing through the continent tongue

Very true
That's why he remains the hero of democracy and will continue to be celebrated all over Africa & beyond

My re-election bid not worth of the blood of Nigerians-- GEJ

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: President Robert Mugabe Steps Down by orunto27: 12:48pm On Jun 21, 2016
The aging Strong Horse. May God call Mugabe at His blessed Time for Africa and the world.

(1) (Reply)

Siberian Adventure: Vladimir Putin, the world's strongest president (PHOTOS) / As Syria War Tightens, U.S. And Russia Military Hotlines Humming / China has developed Hypersonic Missiles That can Circle earth before Hit Target

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.