Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,187 members, 7,829,250 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:39 PM

How Do You View Yourself?. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Do You View Yourself?. (801 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You View Yourself?. by AndreUweh(m): 7:20pm On Sep 01, 2009
How do you see your self?.For example, do you see your self first as Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba, Kalabari, Tiv, Nupe, Kanuri, Ibibio, Edo etc before Nigerian or the other way round?. Nairalanders, please respond.
Re: How Do You View Yourself?. by amyfiso(f): 8:46pm On Sep 01, 2009
i am a very peculiar lady, a chosen generation.so therefore i am from zion.shalom
Re: How Do You View Yourself?. by AndreUweh(m): 10:03pm On Sep 01, 2009
Amy fiso
I do not mean where you come from. Here on earth, you have an ethnicity and a country you belong to. Thus, do you see yourself first as Zulu and then South African and vise versa.
Azikiwe saw himself first as a Nigerian, then Igbo while Awolowo and Ahmadu Bello saw themselves first as Yoruba and Hausa-Fulani.
Nairalanders, how do you see your selves?.
Re: How Do You View Yourself?. by amyfiso(f): 6:39pm On Sep 02, 2009
OK,i am a Nigerian,from Edo state.
Re: How Do You View Yourself?. by AndreUweh(m): 7:35pm On Sep 03, 2009
Amy
THAT MEANS YOU SEE YOUR SELF FIRST AS A NIGERIAN AND THEN EDO STATE. Zik also refered himself as a Nigerian and later Igbo.
Re: How Do You View Yourself?. by AndreUweh(m): 1:45pm On Sep 21, 2009
Some of our fathers are of the opinion that they were igbo, Yoruba, ,kalabari etc before Nigerian. Nigeria is a British creature.
But, Nairalanders, how do you see your selves?. Are You Yoruba or Igbo and then Nigerian or is it the other way round?.
Re: How Do You View Yourself?. by ChinenyeN(m): 2:03pm On Sep 21, 2009
For me, it depends on how I feel and where I'm at. If I'm with non-Nigerians, then I'm Nigerian. If I'm with Nigerians, then I'm Igbo and Nigerian (or sometimes, just Igbo, depending on the situation). If I'm with Igbo people then I'm just Ngwa. If I'm with Ngwa people, I'm Ovom. If I'm with Ovom people, I'm from my village.

Generally though, I consider myself as being Ngwa, then Igbo, then Nigerian. Nothing more, nothing less.
Re: How Do You View Yourself?. by ifyalways(f): 2:28pm On Sep 21, 2009
Nigerian.
Re: How Do You View Yourself?. by AndreUweh(m): 1:57pm On Sep 22, 2009
Is it proper for Azikiwe to see himself as Nigerian of Igbo origin while Awolowo and Bello saw themselves as Yoruba and Hausa-fulani first before Nigerians?.
Re: How Do You View Yourself?. by ifyalways(f): 2:43pm On Sep 22, 2009
Andrew biko,a gala dat side.
Re: How Do You View Yourself?. by africhika(f): 5:59pm On Sep 22, 2009
Ogbaruan (local government). Nigerian. Igbo.
Re: How Do You View Yourself?. by ezeagu(m): 6:44pm On Sep 22, 2009
africhika:

Ogbaruan (local government).  Nigerian.  Igbo.

Really, do you know the Ojishikamunna family? A true Ogbaruan should know the royal family I'm talking about.
Re: How Do You View Yourself?. by AndreUweh(m): 7:43pm On Sep 22, 2009
Mazi Ezeagu
How do you view your self?.
Re: How Do You View Yourself?. by africhika(f): 8:49pm On Sep 22, 2009
no, i don't know of the ojishikamunna family. i know of my town's (Odekpe) royal family.
Re: How Do You View Yourself?. by ezeagu(m): 9:11pm On Sep 22, 2009
africhika:

no, i don't know of the ojishikamunna family. i know of my town's (Odekpe) royal family.

Oh, what's Odekpe's Royal families name?
Re: How Do You View Yourself?. by ezeagu(m): 9:13pm On Sep 22, 2009
Andre Uweh:

Mazi Ezeagu
How do you view your self?.

I'm not sure. shocked I can't answer that without some kind of politics. Nigeria is confusing. But I will say that first I identify with my town(s). I get excited when I see people from my homeland.
Re: How Do You View Yourself?. by Gamine(f): 9:58pm On Sep 22, 2009
@Topic.

In a mirror.
Re: How Do You View Yourself?. by AndreUweh(m): 11:32pm On Sep 22, 2009
Gamine:

@Topic.

In a mirror.

What I mean is, how do you view your self in terms of nationality or ethnicity. Which one comes first on your own part?.
Re: How Do You View Yourself?. by kuntama: 12:11am On Sep 23, 2009
Who cares. Internet forums and globalisation mean I can be anybody/thing I please.
Today, ladies and gentlemen, I'm Asbo from East Harlem.
Regards
Re: How Do You View Yourself?. by iice(f): 8:49am On Sep 23, 2009
Nigerian.
Re: How Do You View Yourself?. by africhika(f): 1:12am On Sep 24, 2009
ezeagu, the Okakweu of Odekpe is the Onyia family

(1) (Reply)

The Problem With Igbos / Chistmas In The Village: Salt N' Light / The Difference Between Culture And Molarity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.