Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,053 members, 7,810,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:45 PM

10 Phrases That Will Confuse You If You Are Not A Nigerian - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 10 Phrases That Will Confuse You If You Are Not A Nigerian (2258 Views)

How To Confuse Your Tracks To Your Enemies. / 17 Nigerian Phrases That Would Confuse A Foreigner / CLOSED (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

10 Phrases That Will Confuse You If You Are Not A Nigerian by OlamideOkadigbo(m): 9:36pm On Jun 22, 2016
When we tell you that Nigerians are interesting set of people, we mean it in every way. There are some phrases we use that will get you confused if you are not a Nigerian. These phrases could sound funny when you hear them but then, only Nigerians can relate with them.
Without wasting much time, let us look at some of the phrases Nigerians use while communicating. Some of these phrases would no doubt leave you confused as you may not be able to decode what they are actually trying to say. Find some of these phrases below:

1. Hear the smell

Nigerians are weird. They would use this phrase when they are trying to call your attention to a smell or odor. They would rather say hear the smell instead of perceive the smell.
It is only in Nigeria that the nose can be confused with the ears. Those who use this phrase speak the Yoruba language a lot. That is the only way you can explain this phrase as it is being relayed the way a typical Yoruba man will say it in his language

2. I’m coming

Now this will leave you feeling totally lost; a Nigerian could tell you he is coming when he is actually on his way out. This is a typical Nigerian’s way of saying I’ll be right back. So the next time you hear this, just make sure you tell them ‘bye’ as it could take a while before they return.

3. Dress for me

If you are not a Nigerian, you may go on and do something totally different upon hearing this phrase. When this phrase is being said by a Nigerian, he wants you to adjust and make space for him.

Thus, it is a typical Nigerian’s way of saying ‘please create a space for me’ or better still ‘let me share your space with you’. If you are not a Nigerian, you may confuse this with putting on accessories and wearing special clothes to impress the speaker.

4. Don’t go and be doing shaky shaky there

Now this is funny, at this point we agree that only Nigerians can understand themselves. Reading the above phrase, you will agree with us that it is meaningless and confusing.
But when you hear this from Nigerians, they are probably trying to encourage somebody by telling him to be brave. Therefore, the above phrase means to be brave and not fidget.

5. Stop lying on me
If you hear a man telling your wife over the phone to stop lying on him, a thousand lethal thoughts could pass through your mind if you are not a Nigerian. You would get the whole thing totally wrong and assume something else is going on.
However, Nigerians say this when they ought to say ‘stop lying against me’. This phrase is quite common in Nigeria with virtually every Nigerian speaking that way.

6. I will show you pepper

When Nigerians say they will show you pepper, do not assume they are talking about showing you tomatoes and green peppers. They are trying to tell you they will deal with you.
Nigerians say this when they are not pleased with someone; this is their own way of being vengeful. Nigerians mean they will get back at you for doing something to them when they use the phrase. You had better watch out when you hear this.

7. I will teach you a lesson

If you think a Nigerian want to teach you something new when you hear this phrase, you are in a big mess. This phrase means you are in for a tough time. Nigerian parents say this a lot when their children are being naughty.

The lesson being talked about here has nothing to do with school; rather it is a life lesson that will teach you how to behave well the next time you are faced with a similar circumstance.

8. Stay in your lane

Nigerians could be dramatic; they say one thing and it would mean a totally different thing. When you are being told to stay in your lane, this means you should mind your business and stop putting your nose in other people’s affairs. But if you are not a Nigerian, you would be left wondering what lane the speaker is talking about.

9. Before nko

Now this is going the Nigerian way. When you hear this, the speaker is indirectly saying ‘what do you expect’. This is a regular phrase in Nigeria as you are bound to hear it in the shortest conversation

10. For your mind

Nigerians use this phrase when they want to mock your opinion or tell you how lame they think your idea is. Most times, this phrase is always said after they might have done the symbolic twitching of the nose which is known as ‘yimu’ or the lifting of the chin as a sign of disbelief. When this phrase is being used, the speaker is throwing it to your face that a particular move will not work.

Feel free to add more and mods should please help me move this to the appropriate section.
Re: 10 Phrases That Will Confuse You If You Are Not A Nigerian by Florblu(f): 10:06pm On Jun 22, 2016
So true!proudly naija
Re: 10 Phrases That Will Confuse You If You Are Not A Nigerian by Nobody: 11:31pm On Jun 22, 2016
grin

(1) (Reply)

Exposed: Man Exposes Lady (ogbuka Gloria Ada)who infected Him With Hiv(see Chat) / Could It Be That Amaka Of Hot Fm Abuja And Victor Onyeagoro Marriage Ended?. / Quitting Nairaland For Good.....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.