Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,531 members, 7,816,297 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:03 AM

Street Begging Vs Corporate Begging - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Street Begging Vs Corporate Begging (763 Views)

Corporate Begging Reloaded / Yoruba Revisionist Please Answer This Questions Begging For Answers / Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Street Begging Vs Corporate Begging by Adelowo2097(m): 11:11am On Jun 23, 2016
STREET BEGGING VS CORPORATE BEGGING.

By Adelowo OGUNTOLA

Sometimes around early June, 2012, I was at Osogbo-Akure MotorPark, Osogbo, Osun state in order for me to board a bus to convey me to Akure for my POST-UTME exercise at the Federal University of Technology Akure [FUTA] then. Lo and behold, I met hordes of poor, destitute and downtrodden people (the collective name for those people is 'Beggars'). I was apprehensive to see a tumultuous number of beggars in such part of the country. You will think they are staging an Open Crusade around the motor park, praying all manners of prayers. By virtue of my desperation to pass the exam, I was meeked to alleviate their poverty life and abject hunger by donating handful amount of money to them. Fast forward, November, 2012, after which I was admitted into the prestigious and reputable institution of learning "FUTA", I still have to board a bus at the same park to commence academic studies but to the utmost surprise and chagrin of my humble self, I still met the same set of beggars- Same People! Same style of soliciting for money! Same shared belief! Same dress. Alas, I can conclude that all the money that they have been receiving- they are plundering those resources. In less than two months, I will be a 500-level undergraduate student, I can authoritatively tell you that those beggars are still parading around the motor park. So for the space of FOUR (4) years, their lives have no meaning. They are doing the same thing over and over again which according to the greatest Physicist, Albert Einstein is Insanity. Definitely, they are career-beggars! Here in Ibadan, an average ten (10) beggars always meet me on the highways pleading for money everyday. It is appalling!

In Nigeria, you see able-bodied men filling sands on our treacherous long stretch that we called 'Roads' all in the name of begging. Lately, I have seen another form of street begging, a man well above 30-year old was seen cleaning car wiper and motor glass of vehicles in places where there is traffic congestion.

It is in this part of the world that you will see beggars purchasing exotic and expensive foods in restaurant whereas you donors of money can't think of consuming such food.

The rate at which beggars parade on our highways, roads and functions is despicable nowadays. They have metamorphosed all the aforementioned places to their abode and working place. You think you have seen plethora of beggars, kindly come to Iwo Road in Ibadan, you will be extremely frustrated. Go to Sango, Academy, Adamasingba, Ojoo, Challenge. If we plan to conduct a 'Population study' for them, the Government of Nigeria will know that all the statistics being released by National Bureau of Statistics [NBS] about people being bewildered by poverty is a mere fallacy.

Who are the Corporate beggars? I heard you asking yourself. The Corporate beggars are those that 'Behind' the modus operandi of street begging. They completely change from the crude and primitive ways of soliciting for money to save them in the period of cash crunch. Mention National Association of Nigerian Students [NANS] that you will see their letter-head papers on the desk of every secretaries planning to confer unmerited award in the name of hunger to people in the society; Civil Society Organizations/ Non-Governmental Organization that have commercialize activism and peoples' movement for a plate of porridge; our journalists that have sold their conscience and mighty pen all in the name of brown envelope; our clerics who have converted religious centres to an avenue of defrauding members all in the name of Allah [SWT] and Jesus Church. Ah... GOD! May you forgive them for they are now anti-masses.

I have many fear concerning the #500 Billion earmarked for Social Security. How will they disburse the fund to reach the indigent in the society? Hope it will not be political? Guess some bottom-filled useless and ignoramus politician will not sit on the money and appreciate GOD for providing another yam.

Don't get me wrong, I am not mocking those who indulge themselves in begging activities. Some are facing critical ailments and illness and they are in dire need of help and assistance to save them. If you see such men, donate to them. What I detest is seeing an homo sapien with two hands, two legs, functioning ear, eyes, nose and mental fitness soliciting for alms. That's antithetical to societal advancement, the Lord GOD Almighty will not be happy with such development. Begging should not be seen as the last resort to financial freedom.

Nevertheless, my people, don't eat double when your neighbours do not have anything to eat, cater for the needy in the society for GOD in His infinite mercies will multiply your folds.

Namaste!

(1) (Reply)

Oonirisha Live on CNN / Ijaws N Its Lost Comunities / Spiritual Solutions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.