Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,992 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:29 AM

AVDD (Aso Villa Demo Day) 2016 : My Experience And View In Lagos.... - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / AVDD (Aso Villa Demo Day) 2016 : My Experience And View In Lagos.... (1603 Views)

The Real Truth About The Aso Villa Demo Day - A Finalist / Aso Villa Demo Day 2016: Pictures / Registration For Aso Villa Demo Day Closes 12 Midnight Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

AVDD (Aso Villa Demo Day) 2016 : My Experience And View In Lagos.... by Pivot5: 6:59pm On Jun 23, 2016
I was in AVDD venue today all the way from ogun state down to VI. I had thought it was really something we have all been waiting for to happen in this country, something like the Dragon's den of the UK and even better, i had prepared so sophisticatedly, drew up 5 solid ideas workplan and design and was beaming hot ready to show "the president" what Nigerians can do to help the country in a really BIG WAY....

First, the venue is a large hall, the judges tables was setup right in front of the lots of crowd behind and that was the first let off for me...Who in the world would really really really give up such unique ideas on a stage to about a 400 people plus the thousands watching live from their website ? I sha siddon dey look...then we were told some 80 "best" was selected and the rest of about 200 of us who also pitched an idea and got the invitation would only be allowed to get on stage when the "best" have done theirs.

We all rushed to the back of the hall, scrambling to write down our names as the ones with no "codes" but who still wants to get something out of our hopes. Still, we sha all still siddon dey look....Fast forward, program started about 11am and it was then i now figured out what i really got myself into....
Re: AVDD (Aso Villa Demo Day) 2016 : My Experience And View In Lagos.... by Pivot5: 7:00pm On Jun 23, 2016
One young man who is lucky to be the SA to the president on science and something something matters was the one that came up with the idea, drew up the plan and executed it. Backed by Ministry of information and some others, he setup the whole thing...It wasn't really as we or at least i had expected it. I had thought the president was "hunting" for real good ideas that can take Nigeria up there very very fast and want to give us the "direct chance" to show up what he have and he would give us the sought platform to succeed...To my supriuse, it wasn't that at all....it was just some group of young men probably close to Oga Lai and Pastor Yemi that just came up with the thing....Second let down......
Re: AVDD (Aso Villa Demo Day) 2016 : My Experience And View In Lagos.... by Pivot5: 7:01pm On Jun 23, 2016
Fast forward all speeches, thanks and se ren ren....Program started and our lucky "80" best picked pitchers was moved to the lucky side and the first person (a lady) was called up the stage....Said she was from a software coy and she has a HRM software bla bla bla with about 5 modules and she listed them.....

Really ? HRM solution ? An idea for the president ?

First, i have a HRM software solution that has more than 10 great modules, I have the Manpower planning, Recruitment, Selection, Employee records, Benefits and Rewards, Training and Development, Disciplinary and Grievances, Performance Appraisal, Office Administration, Disengagement, etc and etc....She barely mentioned 5 which was even a sub module in my HRM software.....If they had told me they wanted software solutions, Aba ! I would have only pitched about software solutions and not go that "advanced" with my efforts....

When i saw Pitch an idea for the president, i was thinking towards the technologies and commerce ideas that could turn Nigeria into a China in few years, i was preparing great innovations and expecting to see Nigerians with great ideas worth going to Aso rock for and there goes the first lady with a HRM software of 5 modules as the first "Best" Pitchers....
Re: AVDD (Aso Villa Demo Day) 2016 : My Experience And View In Lagos.... by Pivot5: 7:07pm On Jun 23, 2016
Another guy came up about his idea of "digitizing" documents...I was almost swayed by that cos i was having this image in my head of probably he was able to write a software that that could just "snap" a document, save it in bytes and bits and produce it back whenever that was needed back....I have tasked myself on such solutions in the past and was so keen to learn from his methods...But when one of the judges asked him to define what he used to "digitalize" documents for better record keeping.....He was forced to let the cat outta the bag by saying they actually would scan ALL the documents to be archived and save them in a folder !

I became hungry instantly ! I felt like going up that stage as asking the guy "Serioiusly ? Is that an idea for the President ?"

As in, i was dumb founded at the cheap ways we were using such scarce platform....

1 Like

Re: AVDD (Aso Villa Demo Day) 2016 : My Experience And View In Lagos.... by callmelanner(m): 7:11pm On Jun 23, 2016
Quite unfortunate, I hope u weren't swindled of ur hard earned money in this hard economy.
That was how we were invited for the police recruitment whatever & we just had to wait in the sun till it drained us of the little energy we had left. cry
Naija and magomago
Re: AVDD (Aso Villa Demo Day) 2016 : My Experience And View In Lagos.... by Pivot5: 7:20pm On Jun 23, 2016
Guys, it was a disappointment.....

First, how were this guys chosen and i wasn't

Secondly, was this their own kind of ideas when they asked us up here ?

Thirdly, they should have hinted us they wanted software solutions or some solutions inclined to ICT, i would have pitched up a few that would blow their minds as something from a Nigerian. I was looking so up there as regards this program and didn't thought for once "ideas" like the ones i was hearing was even gonna make it past the preliminary screening not to talk of final selection.

I wanted Nigerians to bring up some robotics, some commerce enterprise that could employ many and become an international sensation, i expected to hear of technological solutions and inventions that could make a company website crash on the first day of the release of such invention. An invention in the US just recently grossed about 24 million dollars in pre orders alone ! The invention is not even released yet and they have 24 million dollars from pre-orders already ! This are what i was hoping to see, something unique, something big and advanced.

One guy's solution was even about Inverter and solar powering houses for up to 10 hours bla bla bla.... I can only wonder if the Guy has thought that was an "idea". I had installed inverters that powered a whole office for 48 hours this year already, the built my first inverter about 12 years ago when the "free to air" satellite was still working in Nigeria. I just felt so sad for how we have limited ourselves as youths in this country.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: AVDD (Aso Villa Demo Day) 2016 : My Experience And View In Lagos.... by Pivot5: 7:38pm On Jun 23, 2016
I went there with my blueprint designs for the drone technology i had been working on, one capable of helping the government eradicate every loss from bank robberies, that would perform routine surveillance at delicate areas in the country, a drone that has 3G chip programmed to act intelligently on its own, avoid all obstacles on its own and the best part is they would all be controlled from a base station here in the country.

I had proposed a manufacturing industry that would recoup an income after tax of 16.5 Million naira every month for the first few months of startup and increasing from the first 8 months. A project that needed just 95 million naira as investment in total (Setup, Raw materials, Premises, etc) and all its raw materials are readily coming from the north en masse. Products from this factory would also be in increasing demands for exports and thereby helping its growth, helping the economy, employing more youths and grossing an increasing revenue. It can only get better with it.

I had proposed a technology solution where the government can get stop the leakage of about 199 billion naira annually, which it is helpless completely now to stop. Still they didn't see those ones.

I had proposed another technology solution that would gross millions of dollars in revenues from inwards and other african coiuntries. That is how you become a china of your continent. They didn't see that one too

I took it in good faith thinking since my points weren't good enough, i would get to hear of bigger ideas for the country and for which, would motivate me BUT what i was hearing was...............

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: AVDD (Aso Villa Demo Day) 2016 : My Experience And View In Lagos.... by Pivot5: 7:45pm On Jun 23, 2016
Sha, my people....I left the place when i realized the whole thing was not what we thought. My fellow non-coded participants, i heard were still there by 4pm unattended to after using up their whole day finding themselves in a situation for which they never saw coming.

I did find myself too in that situation anyway, but i didn't let them steal more than a few hours of my productive time before i took the exit door.

So you that weren't invited and had been cursing your luck and yabbing God, please ask for forgiveness for you never knew how much it felt loosing productive time and money and still getting back home unfulfilled.

That was AVDD 2016 in Lagos.......Nothing really changed from what they were.
Re: AVDD (Aso Villa Demo Day) 2016 : My Experience And View In Lagos.... by homosapien(m): 7:48pm On Jun 23, 2016
At times I wonder what is wrong with us as a nation, however we just won't give up. The sky is your starting point bro, it us their loss not yours
Re: AVDD (Aso Villa Demo Day) 2016 : My Experience And View In Lagos.... by homosapien(m): 7:48pm On Jun 23, 2016
At times I wonder what is wrong with us as a nation, however we just won't give up. The sky is your starting point bro, it is their loss not yours
Re: AVDD (Aso Villa Demo Day) 2016 : My Experience And View In Lagos.... by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jun 23, 2016
Imagine! Our mindsets still hang on to ideas that can't even compete with those of the western world! Thank God my idea wasn't selected to be pitched. Make i kukuma keep improving on my thing and bootstrap its launching!

Thanks, OP for the update jawe!

1 Like

Re: AVDD (Aso Villa Demo Day) 2016 : My Experience And View In Lagos.... by Pivot5: 8:19pm On Jun 23, 2016
homosapien:
At times I wonder what is wrong with us as a nation, however we just won't give up. The sky is your starting point bro, it is their loss not yours

Sincerely it hurts me so much. There are those of us that have swore never to leave this country and stay right here to build up something the world would come for but when our youths are not tasking up themselves for bigger things and just always focus on simple things for lesser risks and small revenues.

Many Millionaire CEOs in the US and China and youths younger than 30 years of age. I hope to see youths who can create a fascinating technology like the Hoverboard capturing everyone's heart.

We need creators not installers or maintainers or distributor. Lets create something the world would pay to buy from us.

3 Likes

Re: AVDD (Aso Villa Demo Day) 2016 : My Experience And View In Lagos.... by Pivot5: 8:39pm On Jun 23, 2016
yorme:
Imagine! Our mindsets still hang on to ideas that can't even compete with those of the western world! Thank God my idea wasn't selected to be pitched. Make i kukuma keep improving on my thing and bootstrap its launching!

Thanks, OP for the update jawe!

Please keep developing the idea and dont stop. Even when you get married ans start having kids, please still stick to it till it works out.....cos a lot of great ideas in Nigeria have been "refunded" back to God in Nigeria just because the person got married and became concerned about other things to survive than making the idea work again.

2 Likes

Re: AVDD (Aso Villa Demo Day) 2016 : My Experience And View In Lagos.... by Nobody: 11:11pm On Jun 23, 2016
Pivot5:

Please keep developing the idea and dont stop. Even when you get married ans start having kids, please still stick to it till it works out.....cos a lot of great ideas in Nigeria have been "refunded" back to God in Nigeria just because the person got married and became concerned about other things to survive than making the idea work again.

I love your spirit! So positive! We'll surely be that change our generation needs!
Re: AVDD (Aso Villa Demo Day) 2016 : My Experience And View In Lagos.... by oteneaaron(m): 3:35pm On Jun 24, 2016
Pivot5:
Sha, my people....I left the place when i realized the whole thing was not what we thought. My fellow non-coded participants, i heard were still there by 4pm unattended to after using up their whole day finding themselves in a situation for which they never saw coming.

I did find myself too in that situation anyway, but i didn't let them steal more than a few hours of my productive time before i took the exit door.

So you that weren't invited and had been cursing your luck and yabbing God, please ask for forgiveness for you never knew how much it felt loosing productive time and money and still getting back home unfulfilled.

I choose abuja as my pitch location......but till now no response from them.....some1 suggested i go to the Abuja Pitch tomorrow whether or not i get a reply....

but from what your saying, i guess it ain't worth it....

Ideas that can boost the economy, employment...I really tot that was the reason for this event...but watching the live stream, i was just disappointed. Many of the "best" were already running businesses, no tech savy concept....

it almost seemed like the system was hitched because, even before the program started....i was already seeing tweets of "special" pitch...from one -agrodata- and I ask.....why ask us to apply when you already have the "chosen ones".....

Naija....i hail thee...
Re: AVDD (Aso Villa Demo Day) 2016 : My Experience And View In Lagos.... by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jun 24, 2016
Pivot5:

This issue of neglecting brains for mediocrity is the main reason why we are backward in Nigeria. Such can even be seen on this forum where intelligent and educative topics like yours never make front page while topics about Tonto dike's boobs and maheeda's bums grace the home page on a regular.
Re: AVDD (Aso Villa Demo Day) 2016 : My Experience And View In Lagos.... by Pivot5: 7:47pm On Jun 24, 2016
oteneaaron:

I choose abuja as my pitch location......but till now no response from them.....some1 suggested i go to the Abuja Pitch tomorrow whether or not i get a reply....

but from what your saying, i guess it ain't worth it....

Ideas that can boost the economy, employment...I really tot that was the reason for this event...but watching the live stream, i was just disappointed. Many of the "best" were already running businesses, no tech savy concept....

it almost seemed like the system was hitched because, even before the program started....i was already seeing tweets of "special" pitch...from one -agrodata- and I ask.....why ask us to apply when you already have the "chosen ones".....

Naija....i hail thee...

Lagos's event is the first and i am sure the organizers would have gotten one or two better ideas of how they can get it done better in Abuja and other centers. So dont be discouraged just yet, they failed in the criteria for choosing the best ideas and it got exposed to the whole world even by streaming such ideas live to the world. That's even another let down and shows the project have been gradually diverted as more of a publicity event that actually looking for unique solutions to the problems of the country. I can only wonder how they want a "real" genius with a unique idea to climb up that stage facing the whole world and disclose such ideas.

Nigerian leaders have a very little respect for its youth, the federal government and its entire federal police system have been grossly exposed and embarrassed to the world of how its failing continuously at one of its primary reasons for existing which is security. The kidnappings rate and the ease at which they are organized and executed is worrisome, when it happens, Nigerian police have got no clue whatsoever of where this people are, ransom are paid and still this guys are not caught. It keeps going on and on, if a young Nigerian wants to let the government know how that can STOP and stop for good, they would not take you for a pinch of salt. To our leaders, as long as our almighty Police IG + Other glorified service chiefs + the well exposed Vice president + the supposedly wisest state governors and other long standing federal security committee have not been able to come up with an idea of how it can be stopped in all of those their meetings that each costs the country millions of naira, then no one else in this country, a Nigerian for that matter can ever have the idea of how it can be stopped. Thats the mentality and the reason why they keep failing and we all suffer for those failures while they cover it up boldly.

If David was a Nigerian, an ordinary flockman for that matter, he could never ever ever ever ever gotten close to King Saul to offer to help in Killing Goliath which took the whole country to ransom. He would have been bullied away by guards, police, army, air force and finally even a para military NSCDC. He would never have had that chance to come close to King Saul and even if he had been lucky enough in the slightest chance, our "Nigerian" King Saul would have never ever ever been so humble to put off his Armour for David to wear and Goliath would have showed the whole isreal correct pepper for many many years as many would have died with the whole country suffering immensely like we are suffering in Nigeria now cos of many things that are challenging us for which our leaders have no answers to.

Its painful, really so painful that even when the critic gets to the seat, he repeats the same mistake of the criticized before him. Painful.

1 Like

Re: AVDD (Aso Villa Demo Day) 2016 : My Experience And View In Lagos.... by oteneaaron(m): 10:02pm On Jun 24, 2016
I'd just give 'em the benefit of doubt tomorrow.....
Bro my team and I are test running our Online system....care to join our Private Beta test Phase?

hit me up at roviarsguide@gmail.com if you're interested.

cc: @pivot5
Re: AVDD (Aso Villa Demo Day) 2016 : My Experience And View In Lagos.... by Pivot5: 7:12am On Jun 25, 2016
bloodyBLOGGER:
This issue of neglecting brains for mediocrity is the main reason why we are backward in Nigeria. Such can even be seen on this forum where intelligent and educative topics like yours never make front page while topics about Tonto dike's boobs and maheeda's bums grace the home page on a regular.

Its a simple proof where morals have gone and disunity reigns. Dont blame the mods putting up all those unintelligent posts on the front page, its what their audience wants and they had to satisfy their "desperate" thirst for those topics cos Nairaland knows if they dont give it to them, other platforms who equally have no obligations to sustain our morals would give it to them in abundance.

If there was a murder scene or ritual scene or the likes and any blogger or news website or media house posts a graphical and disturbing picture on its website, Americans would jointly speak against it, you would not see ONE of the many thousands of people that made comments on such website supporting it, they would make sure such website brings down such picture at least for the respect of humanity. This is why no matter what website you goto, you would never see such picture. The recent 50 people killed in a Gay club is a very close example, i challenge anyone to go to all the website platforms available and post me a gruesome picture of even one of the murdered person. You would find NONE. In my country, almost every website would post pictures of headless, maimed and badly slaughtered pictures of "Human beings" on their website, giving disturbing scenes and causing people to start developing hearts of stone and lose their conscience. \

If someone is raped in America or any advanced country, the story covered would be the same in EVERY website, they would only talk about the pains of such happenings, who reported it and express their sadness on what had just happened, there is no way you read such news and not hate Rape. If it were to be my country, unprofessionalism is in every platform, from the mighty news websites to the newest blogger, you would see topics like "How my Neighbour raped me" and contents that would contains words like "He called me into his room, he gave me some sweet and louded the music, he off his trouser and brought out his thing and put it in my mouth, then he put off my cloth and put his thing inside me and gave me 10 naira when he finished that i should not tell anybody..." Reading such news saps away all morals in you, takes the pity of the scene from you, forcefully makes you accept the situation and unwillingly places you in a sex scene with romance thoughts. If you were not so morally sound, rape becomes a thing you wanna try out too.

Its really that bad, morals have gone to the sky in Nigeria and its not getting any better but worse each day. No unity in rebuking bad things in the society. If as a pastor you sends a lady that keeps wearing mini skirts away from your church, another pastor would gladly welcome her and soon his church would be full of their likes and your own church would be termed as backward and old school.

But because God has placed most fulfillment of life in how united the people are in choosing what they want, we all suffer for the choice of the majority and there's nothing we can individually do about it. Without power, there is very minimal you can do to change your society, its future and its culture. Those who have the power, who are supposed to be the leaders of morals and values are even the ones asking for Runs girls in a conference they had attended in the US.

Lets live with it bro. No choice here.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AVDD (Aso Villa Demo Day) 2016 : My Experience And View In Lagos.... by Pivot5: 7:34am On Jun 25, 2016
oteneaaron:
I'd just give 'em the benefit of doubt tomorrow.....
Bro my team and I are test running our Online system....care to join our Private Beta test Phase?

hit me up at roviarsguide@gmail.com if you're interested.

cc: @pivot5

Would be glad to join the testers....I am definitely interested. Thanks.
Re: AVDD (Aso Villa Demo Day) 2016 : My Experience And View In Lagos.... by oteneaaron(m): 7:51am On Jun 25, 2016
Pivot5:

Would be glad to join the testers....I am definitely interested. Thanks.

Ok bro.....please send me a mail.....or gimme your email address........( roviarsguide@gmail.com)

thanks...
Re: AVDD (Aso Villa Demo Day) 2016 : My Experience And View In Lagos.... by Kingkamal(m): 12:25am On Aug 07, 2016
Really that's lovely. You said the exact truth. I really learn a lot from you bro @pivot5 and I hope we will collaborate together, because two heads are better than 1, hit me up on engrkamals@gmail.com thanks a lot for the advice.
Re: AVDD (Aso Villa Demo Day) 2016 : My Experience And View In Lagos.... by iamclime(m): 4:55am On Aug 07, 2016
Pivot5:
I went there with my blueprint designs for the drone technology i had been working on, one capable of helping the government eradicate every loss from bank robberies, that would perform routine surveillance at delicate areas in the country, a drone that has 3G chip programmed to act intelligently on its own, avoid all obstacles on its own and the best part is they would all be controlled from a base station here in the country.

I had proposed a manufacturing industry that would recoup an income after tax of 16.5 Million naira every month for the first few months of startup and increasing from the first 8 months. A project that needed just 95 million naira as investment in total (Setup, Raw materials, Premises, etc) and all its raw materials are readily coming from the north en masse. Products from this factory would also be in increasing demands for exports and thereby helping its growth, helping the economy, employing more youths and grossing an increasing revenue. It can only get better with it.

I had proposed a technology solution where the government can get stop the leakage of about 199 billion naira annually, which it is helpless completely now to stop. Still they didn't see those ones.

I had proposed another technology solution that would gross millions of dollars in revenues from inwards and other african coiuntries. That is how you become a china of your continent. They didn't see that one too

I took it in good faith thinking since my points weren't good enough, i would get to hear of bigger ideas for the country and for which, would motivate me BUT what i was hearing was...............
Pivot5, are you really serious about your proposed innovation? Pm me; I have met some angel investors who are Nigerians and are looking for viable ideas to sponsor or invest in. I will just give you a brief of what they said they wanted, their contacts, then you can take it from there. All the best.

(1) (Reply)

Job Vacancy / My First Job Interview: Victim To Scammers / IPI Powertech Latest Recruitment (6 Vacant Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.