Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,165 members, 7,811,374 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:30 AM

British Exit From The European Union (BREXIT): How It Will Affect Nigerians!? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / British Exit From The European Union (BREXIT): How It Will Affect Nigerians!? (941 Views)

The Sun’s Headline After UK Exited The European Union (EU) Is Just Epic (LOOK) / How Brexit Will Affect Nigerians In Diaspora And Those In Nigeria / UK Votes To Leave The European Union (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

British Exit From The European Union (BREXIT): How It Will Affect Nigerians!? by numen(m): 8:43am On Jun 24, 2016
Britain has voted to leave the European Union, with the Leave campaign securing around 51.8 per cent of the vote.

David Cameron, who will address the nation shortly, is now facing calls to resign as Prime Minister.

While England voted overwhelmingly for Brexit, Scotland and Northern Ireland backed Remain. Statements are expected to be made by Sinn Fein and the SNP later today calling for a breakaway from the Union. London backed Remain but the turnout was lower than expected because of bad weather.

The pound crashed to the lowest level since 1985 as sterling fell below $1.35. Complacency about a Brexit outcome will come clear this morning, as out of hours trading suggests that the FTSE 100 will drop by 8.8pc, or by some 560 points. The fall would be the third worst in history if stocks ended the day down as sharply.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/eu-referendum-results-live-brexit-wins-as-britain-votes-to-leave/

Possible Effect on Nigerians:
1.) Immigration was a hot topic and was a big point for those that voted for Exit. Now that they have achieved their target, it is only obvious that they are going to make sure that they clamp down on illegal immigration and people staying in the UK with expired visa.

2.) Job loss was also a major talking point and employment criteria will very much become more stringent. But as a skilled immigrant I believe you have nothing to worry about.

You can add other areas you think it will affect nigerians.
Re: British Exit From The European Union (BREXIT): How It Will Affect Nigerians!? by BlackSeptember: 8:47am On Jun 24, 2016
Buhari will travel to another country then for medical check up but not Saudi Arabia because sick President dont come back from there the same

1 Like

Re: British Exit From The European Union (BREXIT): How It Will Affect Nigerians!? by Litmus: 8:57am On Jun 24, 2016
It might have had a mildly positive effect on Nigerians in the sense that much talk on the Britexit side has been that loss of relevant labor from Europe would be mitigated my employment drawn from the commonwealth. However, I've noticed that since president Buhari's comment that Nigeria is the most corrupt nation in the world, British Media no longer recons with Nigerians alongside Indians, Australians and Newzeland the way they did before. They mention Pakistan now in place of Nigeria. Before Buhari's comments there had been a slow and steady rise in positive Nigerian people stock in the media with mention of wealthy Nigerians socialites and the educational achievements of Nigerians etc.

Funny, just this morning, David Melor - the ex-conservative minister - commented that Osborn had made disparaging remark about the uk. Melor stated that the very worst thing that any politicians could do was denigrate their nation. But i guess Buhari was being humble and Nigerians have been craving humbleness.
Re: British Exit From The European Union (BREXIT): How It Will Affect Nigerians!? by numen(m): 1:40pm On Jun 24, 2016
Litmus:
It might have had a mildly positive effect on Nigerians in the sense that much talk on the Britexit side has been that loss of relevant labor from Europe would be mitigated my employment drawn from the commonwealth. However, I've noticed that since president Buhari's comment that Nigeria is the most corrupt nation in the world, British Media no longer recons with Nigerians alongside Indians, Australians and Newzeland the way they did before. They mention Pakistan now in place of Nigeria. Before Buhari's comments there had been a slow and steady rise in positive Nigerian people stock in the media with mention of wealthy Nigerians socialites and the educational achievements of Nigerians etc.

Funny, just this morning, David Melor - the ex-conservative minister - commented that Osborn had made disparaging remark about the uk. Melor stated that the very worst thing that any politicians could do was denigrate their nation. But i guess Buhari was being humble and Nigerians have been craving humbleness.

I hope PMB will see @bolded and I pray Nigerians will be smart enough to reposition for the new UK by acquiring a skill set.

(1) (Reply)

Russia Retaliates For Downed Helicopter, Strikes IS In Syria Again - / See This Epic Reply To Donald Trump Tweet! / 10 Countries With The Highest Military Budget

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.