Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,929 members, 7,814,132 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:29 AM

How To Raise Broiler Birds - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How To Raise Broiler Birds (4614 Views)

Is This How Poor The Sales/marketing Of Broiler Birds Are? My Experience! / ... / Please Advice: 200k To Train 300 Broiler Birds. How Feasible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Raise Broiler Birds by anthony56: 2:37pm On Jun 24, 2016
HOW RAISE BROILER BIRDS!!!! Raising broiler chickens can put meat on your table quicker and with less effort than raising any other livestock. In just a handful of weeks, your chicks will reach target weight and your larder can be stocked with meat that's tastier and better for you than anything you could buy at the grocery store. Plus, raising meat chickens lets you opt out of the profoundly inhumane industrial food-productionsystem. The choice between hybrid or heritage breeds, confinement or free range, and conventional or organic feed are entirely up to you.
Best Broiler Breeds
Growing broilers — young chickens with pliable skin and tender meat — involves making several choices. Your first decision is whether to raise hybrid or heritage poultry breeds. The fundamental differences are the amount of time they need to grow and the flavor of the meat. The quicker your birds reach the target weight of about 6 pounds, the cheaper they are to raise overall and the more delicate the meat. The longer they take, the more they'll cost you (as is the case with heritage breeds), but the meat will be healthier and more flavorful.
White hybrids.The most efficient hybrid broiler chickens are an industrial creation developed by combining White Cornish and White Plymouth Rock genetics. The resulting hybrids — the type most commonly sold at the supermarket — grow and feather rapidly. Chicks of the same age and sex grow at the same rate and efficiently convert feed into meat, reaching target weight in just six to seven weeks. Their edible portion (excluding excess fat, intestines, feathers, heads, feet and blood) is approximately 75 percent of live weight.
Under careful management these broad-breasted hybrid broiler chickens will consume approximately 2 pounds of feed for every pound of weight gained. Unless they're raised on range, hybrid chickens must be butchered as soon as they reach target weight, or they will develop bone ailments or die of heart failure as a result of their excessively rapid growth.
White Cornish hybrids have fewer feathers to pluck and no underlying hair-like feather to singe off, making them easier and faster to clean than other broiler chickens. I like roasting them with the skin intact. When I raise other broiler breeds, I skin them because it's faster than plucking the feathers off. However, you can choose to pluck your birds regardless of breed.
Colored hybrids.These broilers were developed for France’s famousLabel Rougeorganic free-range chickens and adopted by some producers in the United States. Trade names include Black Broiler, Color Yield, Colored Range, Freedom Ranger, Kosher King, Redbro, Red Broiler, Red Meat Maker, Rosambro and Silver Cross. Most strains have red plumage, but they also come in black, gray or barred — anything but white. Their colored feathers make them less visible to predators, especially hawks, but difficult to pluck cleanly so that the bare skin appears neat. (See Wrong About Freedom Rangersto learn more about colored hybrids.)
Colored hybrid broiler chickens are usually raised on pasture and grow more slowly than white hybrids — they take at least 11 weeks to reach target weight, and the chicks don’t necessarily grow at a uniform rate. They eat about 3 pounds of feed per pound of weight gained because of their longer growth period and the calories they burn while foraging. Some people find the meat of colored hybrids to be more flavorful than that of faster-growing white hybrids. The edible meat is approximately 70 percent of live weight.
Heritage poultry breeds.If you keep heritage chickens for eggs, you have the option of hatching eggs from your own flock, keeping the pullets as future layers and raising the surplus cockerels for meat. Delaware, New Hampshire, Plymouth Rock and Wyandotte are heritage poultry breeds with great potential as dual-purpose egg and meat chickens.
All of these breeds are good foragers and have a moderate to slow growth rate, reaching target weight in about 16 weeks. Compared with Cornish hybrids, they have thinner breasts and more dark meat. FOR more visit www.facebook.com/developagriculture

Re: How To Raise Broiler Birds by chrisblack: 5:11am On Jun 25, 2016
anthony56:
HOW RAISE BROILER BIRDS!!!! Raising broiler chickens can put meat on your table quicker and with less effort than raising any other livestock. In just a handful of weeks, your chicks will reach target weight and your larder can be stocked with meat that's tastier and better for you than anything you could buy at the grocery store. Plus, raising meat chickens lets you opt out of the profoundly inhumane industrial food-productionsystem. The choice between hybrid or heritage breeds, confinement or free range, and conventional or organic feed are entirely up to you.
Best Broiler Breeds
Growing broilers — young chickens with pliable skin and tender meat — involves making several choices. Your first decision is whether to raise hybrid or heritage poultry breeds. The fundamental differences are the amount of time they need to grow and the flavor of the meat. The quicker your birds reach the target weight of about 6 pounds, the cheaper they are to raise overall and the more delicate the meat. The longer they take, the more they'll cost you (as is the case with heritage breeds), but the meat will be healthier and more flavorful.
White hybrids.The most efficient hybrid broiler chickens are an industrial creation developed by combining White Cornish and White Plymouth Rock genetics. The resulting hybrids — the type most commonly sold at the supermarket — grow and feather rapidly. Chicks of the same age and sex grow at the same rate and efficiently convert feed into meat, reaching target weight in just six to seven weeks. Their edible portion (excluding excess fat, intestines, feathers, heads, feet and blood) is approximately 75 percent of live weight.
Under careful management these broad-breasted hybrid broiler chickens will consume approximately 2 pounds of feed for every pound of weight gained. Unless they're raised on range, hybrid chickens must be butchered as soon as they reach target weight, or they will develop bone ailments or die of heart failure as a result of their excessively rapid growth.
White Cornish hybrids have fewer feathers to pluck and no underlying hair-like feather to singe off, making them easier and faster to clean than other broiler chickens. I like roasting them with the skin intact. When I raise other broiler breeds, I skin them because it's faster than plucking the feathers off. However, you can choose to pluck your birds regardless of breed.
Colored hybrids.These broilers were developed for France’s famousLabel Rougeorganic free-range chickens and adopted by some producers in the United States. Trade names include Black Broiler, Color Yield, Colored Range, Freedom Ranger, Kosher King, Redbro, Red Broiler, Red Meat Maker, Rosambro and Silver Cross. Most strains have red plumage, but they also come in black, gray or barred — anything but white. Their colored feathers make them less visible to predators, especially hawks, but difficult to pluck cleanly so that the bare skin appears neat. (See Wrong About Freedom Rangersto learn more about colored hybrids.)
Colored hybrid broiler chickens are usually raised on pasture and grow more slowly than white hybrids — they take at least 11 weeks to reach target weight, and the chicks don’t necessarily grow at a uniform rate. They eat about 3 pounds of feed per pound of weight gained because of their longer growth period and the calories they burn while foraging. Some people find the meat of colored hybrids to be more flavorful than that of faster-growing white hybrids. The edible meat is approximately 70 percent of live weight.
Heritage poultry breeds.If you keep heritage chickens for eggs, you have the option of hatching eggs from your own flock, keeping the pullets as future layers and raising the surplus cockerels for meat. Delaware, New Hampshire, Plymouth Rock and Wyandotte are heritage poultry breeds with great potential as dual-purpose egg and meat chickens.
All of these breeds are good foragers and have a moderate to slow growth rate, reaching target weight in about 16 weeks. Compared with Cornish hybrids, they have thinner breasts and more dark meat. FOR more visit www.facebook.com/developagriculture
hi Tony I really need your help.am about starting a poultry mainly targeting. Christmas.i don't know how to go about it.pls help me out
Re: How To Raise Broiler Birds by anthony56: 6:32am On Jun 25, 2016
chrisblack:
hi Tony I really need your help.am about starting a poultry mainly targeting. Christmas.i don't know how to go about it.pls help me out
Visit my page www.facebook.com/developagriculture
Re: How To Raise Broiler Birds by Okezie224(m): 11:53am On Mar 16, 2017
Pls fellow nairalanders, how much will it cost to raise 25 broiler birds Let someone educate me I am yet to start and I need your help
Re: How To Raise Broiler Birds by ietobi: 2:47pm On Mar 16, 2017
Okezie224:
Pls fellow nairalanders, how much will it cost to raise 25 broiler birds Let someone educate me I am yet to start and I need your help
I already helped you telling you that it would cost around N17500 to raise the broilers to 8 weeks.
My details ll help out now because i am poultry farm and rear as much as 1000 birds every month
cost of birds ( 25 DAY OLD CHICKS)= N130 x 25 = N3250
Medication, Drug and Material= N1850
Cost of Feed ( 3 bags of feed) i.e 1 bag of super starter and 2 bags of finisher preferably Topfeed= 1 x 4200 + 2 x 4100 =12400
Although, you might need additional cost of between N1500 to N2000 as miscellaneous. However most agent or hatchery sell in pack which contains 50 chicks except you want to pair up with a friend.
Re: How To Raise Broiler Birds by frisky2good(m): 2:59pm On Mar 16, 2017
Are you sure about the bolded line?

ietobi:
I already helped you telling you that it would cost around N17500 to raise the broilers to 8 weeks.
My details ll help out now because i am poultry farm and rear as much as 1000 birds every month
cost of birds ( 25 DAY OLD CHICKS)= N130 x 25 = N3250
Medication, Drug and Material= N1850
Cost of Feed ( 3 bags of feed) i.e 1 bag of super starter and 2 bags of finisher preferably Topfeed= 1 x 4200 + 2 x 4100 =12400
Although, you might need additional cost of between N1500 to N2000 as miscellaneous. However most agent or hatchery sell in pack which contains 50 chicks except you want to pair up with a friend.
Re: How To Raise Broiler Birds by Okezie224(m): 3:27pm On Mar 16, 2017
@ietobi thanks for the analysis
Re: How To Raise Broiler Birds by Okezie224(m): 3:31pm On Mar 16, 2017
@ietobi what are the drugs I should buy for their medication
Re: How To Raise Broiler Birds by ietobi: 5:08pm On Mar 16, 2017
you would the follwoing drugs and medication
glucose (N100) or multivitamin or honey,keproceryl wsp, multivitamin (N450), gumboro vaccine (N500), embazin forte( N400), lasota(N400), triple sulfa trim(N450).
For the guy that asked whether the amount stated earlier would be enough, i want to let you know that he can share these drugs and medication with a friend because no agent will sell 25 broilers to him
Moreso, since you are rearing 25 broilers which is too small you can also combine it with organic method
Re: How To Raise Broiler Birds by frisky2good(m): 6:31pm On Mar 16, 2017
ietobi:
you would the follwoing drugs and medication
glucose (N100) or multivitamin or honey,keproceryl wsp, multivitamin (N450), gumboro vaccine (N500), embazin forte( N400), lasota(N400), triple sulfa trim(N450).
For the guy that asked whether the amount stated earlier would be enough, i want to let you know that he can share these drugs and medication with a friend because no agent will sell 25 broilers to him
Moreso, since you are rearing 25 broilers which is too small you can also combine it with organic method

I'm glad you get my point. Unless he gets someone to share the drugs with he might have to go organic which might work well because of the quantity.
Re: How To Raise Broiler Birds by Nobody: 6:50pm On Mar 16, 2017
How profitable is a broiller bird business?
Re: How To Raise Broiler Birds by wale32: 7:45pm On Mar 16, 2017
Please kindly explain no of drugs and how to apply the drugs,your response we be highly appreciated
Re: How To Raise Broiler Birds by ietobi: 8:31pm On Mar 16, 2017
DJHANDSOME:
How profitable is a broiller bird business?
It is profitable provided you pay attention to every detail and ensure that the environment is clean at all times.
Re: How To Raise Broiler Birds by ietobi: 8:39pm On Mar 16, 2017
Please kindly explain no of drugs and how to apply the drugs,your response we be highly appreciated
I really dont understand what you mean by no of drugs
Also, when you get the drugs the description on usage is clearly stated on the drug. However, vaccines are to be carefully administered as wrong administration can after the birds negatively.
Re: How To Raise Broiler Birds by darkdragon: 11:35pm On Oct 14, 2017
for poultry, turkey, fish farmers etc there is a harbal feed aditive Donnay that will give you the best result you dream of in port harcourt now call the distributor 08034216654

1 Like

Re: How To Raise Broiler Birds by Gentle235(m): 10:22am On Jan 07, 2018
darkdragon:
for poultry, turkey, fish farmers etc
there is a harbal feed aditive Donnay
that will give you the best result you
dream of in port harcourt now call the
distributor 08034216654

What are the advantages of using Donnay additive.
I am in Uyo. How do I get them?

(1) (Reply)

A UK manufactured Incubator For Sale / Whats The Local Name For Jatropha Seed & Castor Seed? Please Help / Uses Of Cassava Product In Developed Countries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.