Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,537 members, 7,819,919 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:45 AM

Effects Of Brexit Results On The African Largest Economies - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Effects Of Brexit Results On The African Largest Economies (48468 Views)

Nigeria Joins Top 10 Most Improved Economies In New World Bank Rankings / Mid Poll Results On President Buhari's Health By PublicHealth.com.ng / I Handed Nigeria Over To Buhari As The African Largest Economy With A $574b-gej (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Effects Of Brexit Results On The African Largest Economies by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jun 24, 2016
The Brits should suffer this calamitous mistake. With interest rate already near zero percent, the impending financial market crisis in the UK economy will mean that monetary policy options will be very ineffective in what is going to be a drastic turn of fortune for many Brits. Job loss, unwillingness of businesses to expand, shrinking foreign inflows among others will combine to cut household earnings between £3000 to £5000 in the next few years. And with unmerciful global investment speculators lurking, this crisis is going to surpass whatever it was the Bank of England had to deal with in 1992.
Granted, you are likely to hear some peurile ratiocination by different secessionist groups within the African continent, especially with Ipod in Nigeria, however, UK certainly has so much to fear as a result of this leave vote. The economic consequences are just too staggering to contemplate. But then, emotion seem to have trumped reason as is increasingly becoming popular in dealing with many challenging policy options.
Re: Effects Of Brexit Results On The African Largest Economies by W3irDo: 5:51pm On Jun 24, 2016
Hmm
Re: Effects Of Brexit Results On The African Largest Economies by room089: 5:51pm On Jun 24, 2016
Mbok, wetin be brexit result?
Re: Effects Of Brexit Results On The African Largest Economies by Chinom(m): 5:53pm On Jun 24, 2016
Phuck Britain and Nigel Farage. Those dumb brits cast their votes based on racism and xenophobia. I just wish Scotland and Northern Ireland will pull out of UK so that we will have 2 full English speaking countries in the area to invest in and travel to. I have always preferred Dublin to London anyway.

The EU should kick them out ASAP.
Re: Effects Of Brexit Results On The African Largest Economies by CaptainEColeJnr: 5:56pm On Jun 24, 2016
greenpasture:

I disagree with this report although I think your posting was apt.

The report is written from a portfolio managers point of view and it is extremely short term in scope. Brexit means more trade with Africa not less. The UK is going to take a hit of between 50-65 billion on an annual basis. This funding gap has to be replaced. Where? The old Commonwealth sounds like a good place to start. In the past this body was more like a tea party/ photo op but it does have the architecture to be much more. If the UK is no to shutter factories and lower production it must find new markets and strike new trade deals.

Trade deals that are now free of the influence of EU policies and restrictions.

On a personal basis I think Brexit will hurt Britain in the short run. It has to find new trade deals to fill the gap and it won't find them in China. It will want to leverage on its old relationships and the Commonwealth represents a great outlet.

Fund managers think equity and bond investments. They also think grants and concessionary loans. I am talking about investment into the real sector. The real place Africa needs it.
I disagree with some part of your analysis.

BrExit is supposed to bring more trade with Africa.. but a nation like the UK where 50% of it's export and 70% of it's import are to and from the EU.

It will definitely be a huge task in breaking away their ties with the EU. Now they have decided to leave,the next step will be to re-strenghten their already falling currency.. this will only be achieved by diplomatic talks with big economies like the US,Germany, China who wanted the UK to remain in the EU..

I predict a decline in trade volume between the UK and Africa—this can only be prevented by achieving close international ties with the UK if Nigeria do not wanna be affected.
Re: Effects Of Brexit Results On The African Largest Economies by guiddoti: 5:57pm On Jun 24, 2016
Chuksemi:
The time has come to brace up and face harder times. Like every other thing on earth, it will only be temporary
Bro nothing will happen to us here, just that UK is about to fall as first Scottish minister is planning for second referendum for independent state.
Re: Effects Of Brexit Results On The African Largest Economies by TheSunSon: 5:58pm On Jun 24, 2016
I don't give a ratsAss about britain,they are they reason Nigeria is what it is today. All I'm happy about is where the column stated that Biafra separatist will be emboldened.

3 Likes

Re: Effects Of Brexit Results On The African Largest Economies by seguno2: 6:06pm On Jun 24, 2016
Please those who understand Hausa/Fulani should kindly confirm if Buhari translates to BAD news.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Effects Of Brexit Results On The African Largest Economies by guiddoti: 6:06pm On Jun 24, 2016
Chinom:
Phuck Britain and Nigel Farage. Those dumb brits cast their votes based on racism and xenophobia. I just wish Scotland and Northern Ireland will pull out of UK so that we will have 2 full English speaking countries in the area to invest in and travel to. I have always preferred Dublin to London anyway.

The EU should kick them out ASAP.
That's the fact bro. An average high school Brits are racist.

1 Like

Re: Effects Of Brexit Results On The African Largest Economies by AreaFada2: 6:09pm On Jun 24, 2016
martineverest:
Scotland will make our mar Britain..... Britain is on path to destruction
Lol. Actions do often have unintended consequences. What was meant to spite EU could end up splitting UK. I doubt if anyone would have much sympathy if that happen. grin cheesy
Re: Effects Of Brexit Results On The African Largest Economies by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jun 24, 2016
I had a feeling the EPAs had no future. What Europe thought would be it's greatest strength - the Union turned out to be it's greatest weakness.
Re: Effects Of Brexit Results On The African Largest Economies by Hbuyosh(m): 6:10pm On Jun 24, 2016
Keneking:
Nonsense write-up

Nigeria: we are about repatriating our looted funds from UK, I see them as losers. Buhari should quickly act before David Cameron leaves in October. For instance, Diezani and Ibori should be closed accordingly, all Panama leaks in the Virgin Island should be closed and everyone belonging there should be dealt with accordingly. grin grin grin

South Africa: the wine industry would be most affected cry

Kenya: no impact, when there is China grin
We sell much of our coffee, tea, cut flowers, fruits and vegetables, meat and dairy products to the EU, and the bulk of the exports go to Britain. Kenya therefore has a lot to worry about this decision by Britain to leave the Union. The reason for the so much anxiety by the investors in the Nairobi's stock Exchange.

China....? They dont import thaaat much from us as Britain/EU.

2 Likes

Re: Effects Of Brexit Results On The African Largest Economies by linohlex: 6:11pm On Jun 24, 2016
publicenemy:
Daivd Cameron is the worst person to hold the position of a Prime Minister in any country.
ur reasons pls
Re: Effects Of Brexit Results On The African Largest Economies by martineverest(m): 6:14pm On Jun 24, 2016
AreaFada2:
Lol. Actions do often have unintended consequences. What was meant to spite EU could end up splitting UK. I doubt if anyone would have much sympathy if that happen. grin cheesy
they(scotts) had referendum last year to leave uk,but they didnt succeed...this is an opportunity to fulfil their dreams...both northen ireland and scotland voted to remain in eu,but the vote went against their wish....they are likely going to break off,since they want to remain in eu.
Re: Effects Of Brexit Results On The African Largest Economies by elisra(m): 6:15pm On Jun 24, 2016
ForeverYoung197:

How you could come up with all of these? Are u a columnist or a commentator maybe? wink
ur signature just gave me a great succour.
Stopped fighting myself.
Thank you
Re: Effects Of Brexit Results On The African Largest Economies by Bjergtrolde: 6:18pm On Jun 24, 2016
NIGERIA
Nigeria: bad timing
Britain’s exit from the EU couldn’t have come at a worst time for Nigeria, Africa’s largest economy. At a time when the government is trying to fix an economy on the brink of a recession by removing strict currency controls and also liberalizing oil prices, the immediate effect of Brexit will test the nerves of Nigeria’s economic managers as global markets plummet.

Bilateral trade between Nigeria and the UK,currently valued at £6 billion(about $8.3 billion) and projected to reach £20 billion by 2020, will be disrupted as trade agreements made under the auspices of the EU have to be renegotiated.

“For Nigeria, global risk aversion as well as a softer oil price is likely to mean that new portfolio inflows are slow to materialize,” says Khan. “This may delay the normal functioning of the newly liberalized FX market.

”Data from the National Bureau of Statistics shows that the UK was Nigeria’s largest source of foreign investment in 2015.A slowing British economy and its reverberating effects could signal a drop in investment, trade, and also remittances from the Nigerian diaspora who sent home $21 billion in 2015.Reduced trade and investment from Britain willnot necessarily be plugged by the rest of the EU, say Lagos-based economist Tunji Andrews.

“The EU will be looking to strengthen it’s internal ties, plus there’s cheaper oil from Iran, cheaper labor from China and the eastern block.

There’s really nothing we have as a competitive advantage to them right now.”Brexit is already fueling other independence campaigns. Within hours of the vote, leaders in France and Holland, Italy and Denmark called for their own referendums on leaving the EU. This sentiment is shared in southeast Nigeria as well, where government forces have spent much of the past year quelling violent protests by activists advocating for the secession and establishment of an independent country called Biafra. Having already called for a referendum earlier in the year, pro-Biafra activists may now be further emboldened.

So its a matter of if we get screwed by United Kingdom alone or get screwed by the entire European Union?
Re: Effects Of Brexit Results On The African Largest Economies by bigiyaro(m): 6:20pm On Jun 24, 2016
Nobody nor institutions nor professors of economics nor professional financial analysts nor any oyibo predictions can understand the Nigerian economy, any how it is, naija people will always adjust and adapt and Keep moving. Hehehehe, its only in naija u can be suffering n smiling. I love my country.

1 Like

Re: Effects Of Brexit Results On The African Largest Economies by AreaFada2: 6:21pm On Jun 24, 2016
nijanigga:
So Nigerians in diaspora sent $21 billion in 2015 that's more than half what Nigeria's govt will spend in 2016,if they stop sending money back home, the people will have no choice than to revolt and stand up against any form of corruption, most of them are spoiled with free hard currencies.

Yet many people jobless in 9ja come here to spew how people abroad wash dead bodies. Some may even rely on regular remittances from diaspora friends and relatives to survive. grin cheesy

Remittances have been a major poverty alleviating mechanism for decades now.

2 Likes

Re: Effects Of Brexit Results On The African Largest Economies by ThunderingHooves: 6:25pm On Jun 24, 2016
greenpasture:

I disagree with this report although I think your posting was apt.

The report is written from a portfolio managers point of view and it is extremely short term in scope. Brexit means more trade with Africa not less. The UK is going to take a hit of between 50-65 billion on an annual basis. This funding gap has to be replaced. Where? The old Commonwealth sounds like a good place to start. In the past this body was more like a tea party/ photo op but it does have the architecture to be much more. If the UK is no to shutter factories and lower production it must find new markets and strike new trade deals.

Trade deals that are now free of the influence of EU policies and restrictions.

On a personal basis I think Brexit will hurt Britain in the short run. It has to find new trade deals to fill the gap and it won't find them in China. It will want to leverage on its old relationships and the Commonwealth represents a great outlet.

Fund managers think equity and bond investments. They also think grants and concessionary loans. I am talking about investment into the real sector. The real place Africa needs it.

Am no financial guru, but i know this: London's position as a financial centre is threatened as most of its financial preeminence is tied to its EU connections. About 2/3 some say. These financial services are an important part of the UK economy, you could even say a bedrock(this is why they are able to weather financial shocks ).They even have a special passport for finance people from across ththe EU to come do their business in the UK at reduced rates. Where are these important people going to go? Switzerland you might say? No way. Switzerland runs a deficit with the EU in that regard.

The African nations mentioned have intimate ties and long standing deals with the brits, and some are also tied to its EU membership. Exit the UK, and we have to renegotiate them and poof!!!, there goes your escape options when the UK market doesn't respond accordingly or even seek other options. Most of them use British banks as their de facto lenders i.e the true central banks of their nations.

Brace yourselves for serious volatility ahead.

2 Likes

Re: Effects Of Brexit Results On The African Largest Economies by mcyemite(m): 6:25pm On Jun 24, 2016
mccoy47:
Wetin concern Britain with us?
really?
Re: Effects Of Brexit Results On The African Largest Economies by 989900: 6:27pm On Jun 24, 2016
The effect on Nigeria shouldn't be much, it could actually be a blessing in disguise.
What we do with amending our laws to attract investors, tackling corruption, tackling our epileptic power supply and refineries, improving our exports, and attending to our infrastructural deficits, will define us.
Re: Effects Of Brexit Results On The African Largest Economies by guiddoti: 6:27pm On Jun 24, 2016
damilove:

You're very funny. Do you think the queen would back anything that would have long run negative effects on the UK? Think again! grin

I changed my mind about how I wanted to vote yesterday morning, but I won't tell you which side I took eventually tongue
wu yur vote epp in naija? queen is a racist and xenophobia. Her support for remain is just too fake like David Cameron.
Re: Effects Of Brexit Results On The African Largest Economies by AreaFada2: 6:30pm On Jun 24, 2016
martineverest:
they(scotts) had referendum last year to leave uk,but they didnt succeed...this is an opportunity to fulfil their dreams...both northen ireland and scotland voted to remain in eu,but the vote went against their wish....they are likely going to break off,since they want to remain in eu.
Quite possible. Boris Johnson who will be next prime minister will do everything possible to avoid another Scottish referendum.

He will do so by delaying actually Brexit. To make the term of current SNP govt in Scotland run out. He will hope that such a new referendum cannot be pushed through by a hopefully weakened SNP govt post election.

He will gamble that Labour Party will take some seats from SNP in Scottish parliamentary election.

The whole strategy of the English to keep Scotland in UK will start in earnest and it will cut across all parties.
Re: Effects Of Brexit Results On The African Largest Economies by observer777(m): 6:32pm On Jun 24, 2016
These analysis are hypothetical; many of the points raised are debatable. Trade between us favours Britain and what do the export to Nigeria? "Invisible item(s)" -please check our Balance of Payment. We will be better off trading directly with the EU. Nigeria should immediately withdraw her nembership of the Commonwealth. Our country is a goldmine that will attract investors from far and wide if we strenghten law enforcement, diversify our economy and bring down trade barriers. Agriculture and tourism alone can feed us in this country; we will be self- sufficient with great capacity to export. Nigeria is blessed.
Re: Effects Of Brexit Results On The African Largest Economies by bolicks: 6:33pm On Jun 24, 2016
What benefit did we get when Britian was in? Nigeria does her thing , we no dey operate on global economy. We get immunity.

1 Like

Re: Effects Of Brexit Results On The African Largest Economies by obstead200(m): 6:33pm On Jun 24, 2016
Many of these analysts are creating problems where there are none.
I no get strength to type. But brexit is not likely to Change much things.
Re: Effects Of Brexit Results On The African Largest Economies by oluwafemim(m): 6:36pm On Jun 24, 2016
I reject it on behalf of my family and self in JESUS NAME,AMEN.

1 Like

Re: Effects Of Brexit Results On The African Largest Economies by Chuksemi(m): 6:38pm On Jun 24, 2016
guiddoti:
Bro nothing will happen to us here, just that UK is about to fall as first Scottish minister is planning for second referendum for independent state.

I pray Biexit happens for my eastern brothers oh.
Re: Effects Of Brexit Results On The African Largest Economies by stevebond007(m): 6:38pm On Jun 24, 2016
TERRIBLE FOR THEMSELVES.
Re: Effects Of Brexit Results On The African Largest Economies by guiddoti: 6:44pm On Jun 24, 2016
AreaFada2:

Quite possible. Boris Johnson who will be next prime minister will do everything possible to avoid another Scottish referendum.

He will do so by delaying actually Brexit. To make the term of current SNP govt in Scotland run out. He will hope that such a new referendum cannot be pushed through by a hopefully weakened SNP govt post election.

He will gamble that Labour Party will take some seats from SNP in Scottish parliamentary election.

The whole strategy of the English to keep Scotland in UK will start in earnest and it will cut across all parties.
I disagree with your opinion. Moreso Labour cannot take a seat on Scottish soil.
Re: Effects Of Brexit Results On The African Largest Economies by ThunderingHooves: 6:54pm On Jun 24, 2016
In another light, i guess the Brits got tired of having to buy their groceries in kg and grammes, they wanted good old pounds and ounces back. National quirks should be taken very seriously.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nyesom Wike Visits PDP Presidential Flagbearer, Atiku Abubakar / Oba Of Lagos Should Apologise To Igbo People ‘without Delay’ – Falana / Adeyinka Grandson Invited By UK Police Over Hate Speech

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.