Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,832 members, 7,802,668 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:31 PM

Porting PHP/MYSQL Applications to Micro-Controller Based Devices - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Porting PHP/MYSQL Applications to Micro-Controller Based Devices (5031 Views)

Embedded Systems And Micro-controller Programming / How To Make a DESKTOP Executable Software Using PHP,MYSQL,SQLITE / Design Of A Web-based Tutorial On Introduction To Micro-processor Using Java App (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Porting PHP/MYSQL Applications to Micro-Controller Based Devices by Allta(m): 8:51pm On Nov 20, 2005
Hi Guys,

Does any one have an idea how I could port a web based e-voting system application (phpv5/mysqlv5) into a micro-controller device like the one used long time ago during the national identification exercise.

Also I need idea on how to develop a gsm gateway for this application.

Many Thanks as I look forward to you guys contributions

Allta!
Re: Porting PHP/MYSQL Applications to Micro-Controller Based Devices by c0dec(m): 5:48am On Nov 21, 2005
what kind of device is this?
Re: Porting PHP/MYSQL Applications to Micro-Controller Based Devices by demmy(m): 5:17pm On Nov 21, 2005
If its a custom made micro-controller I don't think you can port anything into it much less php which is a server based technology. Iam guessing the device you're talking is one of those unless of course you can tweak with its interface. So yes what kind of controller device is it?
Re: Porting PHP/MYSQL Applications to Micro-Controller Based Devices by Allta(m): 5:35pm On Nov 21, 2005
Do you guys remember those siemens equipments used during the national identification exercise in Nigeria sometimes ago. Yea, that's the one I'm talking about.

What we have on ground is a server-client apps, you guys know now. But I'm sure there is a way someway to port that php/javasccript/html codes into those kinds of devices. c0dec what do you think?
Re: Porting PHP/MYSQL Applications to Micro-Controller Based Devices by Seun(m): 7:41pm On Nov 21, 2005
Doesn't this device have a name

Anyway, since your application is a client-server system, what you need on your micro-controller system is a web browser. If the system supports Linux, then you can set up a minimal Linux configuration with X-windows and Mozilla Firefox or another lightweight Linux browser. But you will need to connect each e-voting client to a standard server than runes Apache, PHP and MySQL.
Re: Porting PHP/MYSQL Applications to Micro-Controller Based Devices by Allta(m): 8:06pm On Nov 21, 2005
Seun:

Doesn't this device have a name?

Seun, you're making look like I don't understand myself. Didn't you participate in the last National Identification Exercise? It's that Siemens Point of Sale Equipment I'm talking about.

Abi everyone else, I think I know what I'm referring to just like you guys do too.

I just want to know if any developer out here could help suggest ways to go about this project. From the Technical Point of View, all I need is a php capable browser to be implemented on such micro-controller equipment. Someone suggest that I code with C# another said J#.

Another part to this project is the GSM gateway that will allow people cast their votes via their mobile phones. I'm sure one could get that done by porting the application into .NET framework of Microsoft. (Maybe form PHP to ASP.NET or something) Although I'm aware how difficult it could be sometimes to migrate between several coding frameworks, but what matter most is getting the design done from Elicitation Requirements. Now how do I move ASP.NET Apps to a WAP App.

My Head is begining to smoke up, can anyone help me get out of this complex mess.

Cheers! and Seun i'm sure you know what I'm talking about now.

Many Thanks

Allta
Re: Porting PHP/MYSQL Applications to Micro-Controller Based Devices by demmy(m): 9:09pm On Nov 21, 2005
Allta as for your GSM gateway I think you should visit the site below for more info.

http://www.kannel.org/
Re: Porting PHP/MYSQL Applications to Micro-Controller Based Devices by Seun(m): 9:15pm On Nov 21, 2005
Without knowing the exact name of the system you have in mind, we cannot verify whether or not our suggested solutions will work on it. Can you give us a link to the manufacturer's website? You are not paying us to help you, so the lest you can do is give us all the information we need to be able to help you. I will show no further interest in this thread if you do not provide this information; I am sure that others wil be able to help you!
Re: Porting PHP/MYSQL Applications to Micro-Controller Based Devices by Allta(m): 9:47pm On Nov 21, 2005
Many thanks Demmy, Kannel is a brilliant tool that I just got to know today. Have you used it before. I guess this is one of the things I'm looking for, at least from the group

Seun, I will quote my self again as regards the name of the equipment:

Siemens Point of Sale Equipment

It doesn't have to be siemens though, but any Point of Sale Equipment will do. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, you can however correct me if I'm wrong somewhere. All I'm referring to is that Siemens POS Device used for the last National Identification Exercise.

Let me say that I felt bad when you said would not show any futher interest. I though we're all out here to help and teach each other, and what did you mean by:

You are not paying us to help you

I found this statement offensive, anyway all I want is someone to discuss the development I've been batling with for months now. I don't understand what else you required from me. As per the device, all I know is this: it's a siemens POS device, I'm sure you all remember that device used for National Identification Exercise sometimes ago.

Still Expecting Contributions Guys! Come on! Come All! I'm sure I can learn a lot from everyone. Demmy Thanks for the info, I will see through Kannel.

Allta
Re: Porting PHP/MYSQL Applications to Micro-Controller Based Devices by c0dec(m): 9:56pm On Nov 21, 2005
man, Seun na wa for u. why do u like bringing up money issues? i thought you had an open-source spirit.

well, honestly alita, i'm clueless as per your project. the internals of the siemens P.O.S was probably coded by siemens themselves. well... google should turn up something.
Re: Porting PHP/MYSQL Applications to Micro-Controller Based Devices by Allta(m): 10:02pm On Nov 21, 2005
Thanks c0dec,

As for Siemens POS, yea they did code those themselves ofcourse; that's exactly what I'm looking for: HOW TO CODE THOSE POSes.

Hope this helps

Many Thanks

Allta( Not Alita, c0dec)
Re: Porting PHP/MYSQL Applications to Micro-Controller Based Devices by demmy(m): 10:21pm On Nov 21, 2005
That was what I meant in my first reply when I said custom. Those devices cannot be re-coded easily by anyone unless of course you know what you're doing.

Anyway Allta, concerning the kannel gsm gateway I've watched a friend installed it for a radio station here to manage their audience's SMS send ins. I believe you can achieve the same thing with just ordinary (fast) computer workstation with WAP setup to manage SMS if thats what you want. But I'll check further to see what I can come up with.
Re: Porting PHP/MYSQL Applications to Micro-Controller Based Devices by c0dec(m): 1:08am On Nov 22, 2005
my bad, Allta - i guess i've got dead pixels grin

hope u find this interesting.
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/5214
Re: Porting PHP/MYSQL Applications to Micro-Controller Based Devices by timmy(m): 9:15am On Nov 22, 2005
Allta, what u're requesting is a liitle bit on the tight side, those devices where hard coded into the chipset of those devices, u'lld have to know how to handle assembly language and 'C' to do those stuffs. but what i fink you can do is you use gprs or wap enabled devices in place of that, its cheaper and more frenzy. all u av to do it to make a wap(xml) site that spools from a php/mysql application.. your results are fully online realtime. the semens thingy was manual. as in all collated results was taking to a larger memory device and then transferd which was more labour.
Re: Porting PHP/MYSQL Applications to Micro-Controller Based Devices by abacus(m): 10:46am On Nov 22, 2005
To my very understanding, it is very very easy. How?
Develop your application and you then patner with Siemens.
Siemens will then etch d code into the device, alas! It is as easy as that smiley
Unless there is open device, which can allow custom applications(programming), and the programming language will be base on the device (d Programming language will be machine specific), so you will need to learn the language from scratch. Other option may be available to make work easier..

But those devices you are talking of: the codes, OS, programs were etched into the device during production (manufacturing) ...

smiley hey, am trying to recount what my lecturer taught me in school.....

cheesy
Re: Porting PHP/MYSQL Applications to Micro-Controller Based Devices by timmy(m): 3:12pm On Nov 22, 2005
hear your self abacus, partner with siemens. Shey na beans.. since when did multinationals start to involve themselves in micro mini projects.. 1 it would not add the the development of the company in anyway and it would also be giving our friend here to much stress and a dream that may not come true. just use a simple wap/gprs device would do the trick and even more..
"trust me, i know what i'm doing saying"
Re: Porting PHP/MYSQL Applications to Micro-Controller Based Devices by Seun(m): 7:11pm On Nov 22, 2005
If you don't know the specific exact name and features of the device you are dealing with, how can you code for it?
Re: Porting PHP/MYSQL Applications to Micro-Controller Based Devices by wale4x35(m): 10:22am On Nov 23, 2005
Hi Allta,
If you are talking about developing a custom uController based e-voting system which can be interfaced to a GSM network, then drop me a [email=emmanuel@firmtech.co.za]mail[/email].

The firmware would be written in assembler and communication with the GSM network could be accomplished using SMS DU-Format.

Kind regards,
Emmanuel
Re: Porting PHP/MYSQL Applications to Micro-Controller Based Devices by timmy(m): 10:38am On Nov 23, 2005
now we are talking, thats the spirit, like i said earlier on . it as to be coded in assembly, in to the firmware, but hope its not taking u to another level
Re: Porting PHP/MYSQL Applications to Micro-Controller Based Devices by abacus(m): 3:04pm On Nov 23, 2005
Timmy u know am saying the same thing, as for going to siemens.. I agree it is not feasible. Let us agree with Emmanuel. If only Emmanuel can talk more about the technology, so that guys like us can learn more on this board. I happened to do some assembly language back then in school. I mixed c + assembly language, and qbasic + assembly language, Actually interesting but time wasting. Emmanuel, can u please talk about the technology.

Thanks
abacus
Re: Porting PHP/MYSQL Applications to Micro-Controller Based Devices by pluto04(m): 8:09pm On Dec 20, 2005
I've just come accross this thread now. If I understand your question, I think you want to develop an E-Voting system where votes will come in through GSm phones and your micro-controller device.

I think for the microcontroller device, you need to know the exact device you're programming and get the manufacturers documentation. A lot will depend on if the manufacturer equiped the equipment with a programable interface and the procedure for programing such an interface, the output fomats and all. Long and short, you need to know the exact device.

As for the WAP/SMS gateway, I don't think it will be worthwhile developing a gateway except if that is the main project. You can use Kannel that someone mentioned before. I've used it before and it works perfectly with serverside script engines including PHP.
Re: Porting PHP/MYSQL Applications to Micro-Controller Based Devices by sbucareer(f): 4:06am On Jan 23, 2006

Routing 160 characters (default character length) from a GSM station (Mobile Phone) to SMS Centre using Kannel protocol and routing HTTP response to SMS centre using probably Kannel protocol would it also incur charges? As SMS centre is a separate entity. J2ME has well written API for handling WML

Are there any SMS Centres in Nigeria?  Regarding your project, why border with firmware, assembly, C and low-level languages.  You are better of with CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) using GPRS (General Packet Radio Service).

At the back end (HTTP Server), you could use WML Server (Wireless Mark-up Language) and route packets to and fro SMS centre.  I would recommend J2ME as your WML server Java Sun

Re: Porting PHP/MYSQL Applications to Micro-Controller Based Devices by oasis: 3:42am On Jan 24, 2006
I've gone through the whole thread, and I'm wondering why the need for a separate equipment like a POS system.  A good ole computer can do what you want perfectly.  All in all, you can do it at much lower cost, considering the prices of computer equipment today.

Are you trying to develop a proprietary system that you could mass-produce and resell?

Otherwise, simply code in WML, and data from your web server can be routed to cellphones via the service provider's gateway. 

Maybe there's something I'm missing about your objective.
Re: Porting PHP/MYSQL Applications to Micro-Controller Based Devices by oasis: 11:36pm On Jan 24, 2006
I visited http://www.kannel.org/ posted by demmy.

Can somebody answer this for me...

For a cellphone to interract with a website, it has to use the service provider as gateway. In other words:

cellphone <------> gateway (phone company) <-------> webserver

Is kannel replacing the phone company as gateway? I.e.

cellphone <------> gateway (kannel) <-------> webserver
Re: Porting PHP/MYSQL Applications to Micro-Controller Based Devices by sbucareer(f): 1:27am On Jan 25, 2006

"oasis":

I visited http://www.kannel.org/ posted by demmy.

Can somebody answer this for me,

For a cellphone to interract with a website, it has to use the service provider as gateway.  In other words:

cellphone <------> gateway (phone company) <-------> webserver

Is kannel replacing the phone company as gateway?  I.e.

I think kannel provides a SMS gateway.  Probably after their company Wapit was closed down, it is now maintaine by Trigenix Ltd. (UK), Wapme Systems AG (DE), ANAM (IE) and Global Networks Inc., which I think provides the SMS gateway service whether they charge for this service is another story I have to find out.

My understanding of SMS gateway is a Short Message Service network node equipped for interfacing with another network that uses different protocols.  So if former Wapit provides SMS gateway then it means that someone can actually use them to send SMS from a WML server (HTTP Server).  The kannel  I think also provides API to wire-up this protocols from your cellphone and HTTP server. 

The Cellphones now comes with all sorts of WAP configurations i.e. GPRS, CSD etc. so one do not need to write bloody low-level or c/c++ code to interface with SMS gateway.  It will be quite interesting to find out that the gateway is free.  I should really hope so
Re: Porting PHP/MYSQL Applications to Micro-Controller Based Devices by IOludayo(m): 4:39pm On Dec 19, 2011
Gr8 idea! U r discussing an embedded systems project that wl b interfaced with protocols. D nature of d microcontroller inside d device wl determine d language 2 b used; assembly/C. U need collabo 2 get this done.

(1) (Reply)

Nairaland Has Multi-Billion Dollar Potential Startup Value If Taken Seriously / Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. / Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.