Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,577 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:46 PM

Programmers Are Gods, Designers Their Creations. - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Programmers Are Gods, Designers Their Creations. (1581 Views)

. / How Nigerian PHP Programmers Proved That Programmers Are First Of All Artists! / Top Ten Nigerian Web Designers <caution> (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Programmers Are Gods, Designers Their Creations. by OmniPotens(m): 8:29am On Sep 04, 2009
I'm on a project that requires lots of web resources. In my search for online resources to borrow ideas from, I came came across lots of wonderful creativities by different programmers on different platforms and i was really thrilled. In fact, I started wondering at what i've so far seen and gathered. I started drawing a conclusion immediately that programmers are under rated gods. They create and give breathe and the programmes come to live. :-P But I'm pretty serious about it. To crown it all, i deviated attention to designers. What have they got? Total dependency on Programmers.

Designers only use outcomes of programmers' resources to work. In fact, I came up with decorators as a better adjective for designers. But what baffles me is how they grew in large numbers just like the Israelites outnumbered the Egyptians. Well, i guess that is why the big distinction between gods and their creations. Few leaders, many followers :-D Though their works(designers) are amazing, I still believe they should acknowledge this fact and accord more respect to those that make them what they are(programmers).

But is this my belief true? I guess so but hearing from you all will be interesting.

Disclaimer: I'm not in any form or void under rating any profession. All I said are just personal, littled biased and mixed with lots of prejudice conclusions. I don't intend to cause any anger or name calling on the thread.

Procidamus omnes!
Re: Programmers Are Gods, Designers Their Creations. by Cactus(m): 9:44am On Sep 04, 2009
No comment
Re: Programmers Are Gods, Designers Their Creations. by Afam(m): 9:47am On Sep 04, 2009
Interesting post.

These days I often use the following lines to justify cost of web development especially when it requires programming -

A programmer can make things happen on your website, like search for documents or content, send a document somewhere, allow people with specific credentials to access a portion of your website, choose what they want to see, update content on the website regardless of location as long as you have access to the website etc.

On the other hand a web designer will deliver a finished product like a beautiful signpost that will remain the same no matter what the visitor does on the website.

In other words, programmers make things happen on the web.

Agreed, programmers are less visible because programming takes time to learn unlike web design where almost all operating systems come with or have easy to use web authoring tools that you can use right away.

But that is where the money is, a good programmer will discuss and insist on hundreds of thousands or millions of naira on a project and the client will still be pleading whereas when it comes to design the client will tell you that he/she can name many people he can give the job to and in most cases the client does just that whether the project is well implemented or not.

Every aspect of web development is important but it is easier for a web programmer to handle the design part than it is for a web designer to handle the programming part.

Just this morning an idea came to my head while adding a new article on my personal website about allowing any registered member to be able to post articles, photos and comments as against those that must have contributor status.

It took less than 5 minutes to change all the relevant codes to make this possible and upload all the affected files to the server. Without a programming knowledge I would have looked for a programmer to pay to do this less than 5 minutes job and I am sure that whatever I pay for it would be more than the naira value of the time it took me to make the change happen.
Re: Programmers Are Gods, Designers Their Creations. by yawatide(f): 9:56am On Sep 04, 2009
Tis harder to justify the cost for a web developer/programmer cos the user doesn't "see their works". On the other hand, they can see what a designer has done. This is why I feel the former is under-appreciated. I recently read that web dev and design will remain lucrative for a long time cos in general, no one know what we do.

I pray it is true smiley
Re: Programmers Are Gods, Designers Their Creations. by Nobody: 10:07am On Sep 04, 2009
web programmers are appreciated when the site gets hacked or is malfunctioning or errors spring up here and there. . . .
but for a simple basic website that can be handled efficiently by joomla, wordpress or whatever without writing any codes,
who cares, just get it done! Many sites around us here in Nigeria are like that.
Re: Programmers Are Gods, Designers Their Creations. by candylips(m): 11:03am On Sep 04, 2009
lol. another web designer programmer comparision. i have no comment.
Re: Programmers Are Gods, Designers Their Creations. by OmniPotens(m): 2:46pm On Sep 04, 2009
Why are some people running away from commenting? Does it mean there are just few programmers in here? Even if there are just designers everywhere, they can still try balancing my belief by equating the both sides than letting it this way.

Rejoice and be glad programmers, we are ahead and will continue to be. We create and they use. We are more than they can ever imagine.

Designers, where are you all? Are you quitting jobs now? tongue
Re: Programmers Are Gods, Designers Their Creations. by inf8nity(m): 6:04pm On Sep 04, 2009
Rejoice and be glad programmers, we are ahead and will continue to be. We create and they use. We are more than they can ever imagine.

U got 2 give designers sum credit though. Remember the templates you use? cheesy They did create them and you are using them this reminds of the old age question - which one came first the egg or the hen?
Re: Programmers Are Gods, Designers Their Creations. by Nobody: 8:55pm On Sep 04, 2009
well, i design too (partially) but code better. At least my design is not so wack, so i cannot compare anything!
Re: Programmers Are Gods, Designers Their Creations. by OmniPotens(m): 10:39am On Sep 05, 2009
If until now designers couldn't actually stand their ground, then victory has been declared over them and supremacy must reign. No much talks when we say it all. Just listen and listen brothers. LOL! Just too interesting to set a distinction at the start of a new month grin
Re: Programmers Are Gods, Designers Their Creations. by Nobody: 10:41am On Sep 05, 2009
wia hav u been hiding urself?
Re: Programmers Are Gods, Designers Their Creations. by OmniPotens(m): 10:44am On Sep 05, 2009
Bro, I've been working on a project. Still at it though just as I pointed from my first post here. Well, let's meet on YIM if you are there.
Re: Programmers Are Gods, Designers Their Creations. by cdeveloper(m): 10:59am On Sep 08, 2009
They job of a programmer is to see the beauty in everything he or she does and his or her task is to make other see it and appreciate it.
Re: Programmers Are Gods, Designers Their Creations. by smartsoft(m): 11:39am On Sep 08, 2009
i will always say i hate programming,  i can't start cracking brains to debug 7,000 codes again when i have beta things to do with ma visuals designs, when i can come up with a design i can sell for 100k shap shap to an advertising agency. See web programming and the software programming are just not working in the sense that when a client see a web that was done totally CMS, he/she will just say wow i like this website design! the client won't border about  programming part. lol its so sad it's happening in Nigeria.

Client want to see designs design design and that is the reason why you see all of them spread around but not everyone of them are that tight, we have different designers. Clients are ready to path away with their money if you give them what they want.

So that's the reason why you see so many social networking site done by developers oooo   Enu ose, Am a designer with a difference.

F****k Programming
Re: Programmers Are Gods, Designers Their Creations. by candylips(m): 11:52am On Sep 08, 2009
smartsoft:

i will always say i hate programming,  i can't start cracking brains to debug 7,000 codes again when i have beta things to do with ma visuals designs, when i can come up with a design i can sell for 100k shap shap to an advertising agency. See web programming and the software programming are just not working in the sense that when a client see a web that was done totally CMS, he/she will just say wow i like this website design! the client won't border about  programming part. lol its so sad it's happening in Nigeria.

Client want to see designs design design and that is the reason why you see all of them spread around but not everyone of them are that tight, we have different designers. Clients are ready to path away with their money if you give them what they want.

So that's the reason why you see so many social networking site done by developers oooo   Enu ose, Am a designer with a difference.

F****k Programming

this is the very reason why nigeria is still backward technologicaly.
Re: Programmers Are Gods, Designers Their Creations. by smartsoft(m): 12:19pm On Sep 08, 2009
Well dunno ooo that's nigeria 4u
Re: Programmers Are Gods, Designers Their Creations. by candylips(m): 1:00pm On Sep 08, 2009
i haven't really seen any fantastically designed nigerian website too
Re: Programmers Are Gods, Designers Their Creations. by smartsoft(m): 1:08pm On Sep 08, 2009
that's the word you've not seen can we see yours abeg !!!!
Re: Programmers Are Gods, Designers Their Creations. by candylips(m): 1:16pm On Sep 08, 2009
pls enlighten me do know have any of such websites
Re: Programmers Are Gods, Designers Their Creations. by smartsoft(m): 2:31pm On Sep 08, 2009
get a heck!!
Re: Programmers Are Gods, Designers Their Creations. by candylips(m): 2:34pm On Sep 08, 2009
Re: Programmers Are Gods, Designers Their Creations. by gdi(m): 3:36pm On Sep 08, 2009
careful, don't throw stones wink

meanwhile i wonder how this was achieved www.fixoutlook.org

great design(visual communication) x good programming(function) = brilliant
Re: Programmers Are Gods, Designers Their Creations. by yawatide(f): 3:58pm On Sep 08, 2009
(shudders)

Last December or so I was on a project that involved recoding all email templates that used CSS so that they used tables instead. Why? Because of word switching their rendering engine. I remember one particular templates having as many as 7 nested tables shocked shocked shocked

gdi, abeg, no remind me again tongue
Re: Programmers Are Gods, Designers Their Creations. by candylips(m): 12:02pm On Oct 21, 2009
yea nested tables can be evil.
Re: Programmers Are Gods, Designers Their Creations. by kolitos007: 2:10pm On Oct 21, 2009
Seriously @OmniPotens, you need to get out more.
Re: Programmers Are Gods, Designers Their Creations. by emmatigana: 7:35pm On Oct 21, 2009
Noise makers.
The only point I grabbed up there was when adam said that
Its easier for programmers to design than designers to program.
everyone won't start to program, designers have to pay the programmers to get templates, scripts and so on. Otherwise, you will have to keep whatever you design. If everybody becomes landlords, guess what happens
Re: Programmers Are Gods, Designers Their Creations. by yawatide(f): 8:58pm On Oct 21, 2009
Its easier for programmers to design than designers to program.

I don't agree with this - Programming and designing use different sides of the brain. Besides, with effort on the person's part, it doesn't matter which way the traffic goes. At the end of the day, the destination will be reached. It might just be a matter of how long it takes the driver to get there.
Re: Programmers Are Gods, Designers Their Creations. by flexinet: 9:52pm On Oct 21, 2009
just passing by,

NO DESIGNERS NO programmers, up designers
Re: Programmers Are Gods, Designers Their Creations. by candylips(m): 10:36am On Oct 22, 2009
flexi-net:

just passing by,

NO DESIGNERS NO programmers, up designers

na from which planet you come from.
Re: Programmers Are Gods, Designers Their Creations. by yawatide(f): 10:50am On Oct 22, 2009
flexi:
Since you are just passing by, I bid thee God's speed tongue

(1) (Reply)

Change Post A Comment Link / Grab Your Own U.s,u.k and Nigeria Non-hosted Google Adsense At Cheap Price / How To Register IDM 6.28 Latest Version Free For Life Time | 100% Working

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.