Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,209 members, 7,811,570 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:47 PM

Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? (30937 Views)

Fow World : List Of Countries In Africa And Their Capitals / Checkout NYSC 'allowee' For Different States In Nigeria.. Some States Funny / JAMB 2016: Imo, Osun And Oyo States Have The Highest Number Of Applicants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Flashh: 11:53am On Jun 29, 2016
phrancys001:
Enugu-Enugu
Kaduna-Kaduna.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by 3Dimension: 11:55am On Jun 29, 2016
it's not necessary attributing everything to tribal connotation or brew tribal sentiment many states share the same name with the capital Bauchi does so is Enugu. Some states are named after Landscapes like rivers (Ogun, Osun, Benue, Niger) Plateau (the Plateau) while other derive their names from various sources and criteria.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Nuhusky: 11:56am On Jun 29, 2016
Hmmm
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by obi58: 12:02pm On Jun 29, 2016
pussyeater:

Enugu comes before Gombe mumu... BTW... He's older that your father! I hope you know that? undecided

Hypocrite! If you had any respect for your parents I'm sure you won't take up the moniker 'pussyeater'. I'm sure your parents raised you better.
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by slimthugchimee(m): 12:05pm On Jun 29, 2016
Flashh:
Kaduna-Kaduna.
kano kano
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by YaksonFCA(m): 12:06pm On Jun 29, 2016
In the North West, Most major town in the region are either state capitals or local government headquaters. They have more of land than people same way way they have outrageous LGAs.
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Opiletool(m): 12:07pm On Jun 29, 2016
If Ondo town had been chosen as Ondo State capital, it would have been "Ondo - Ondo"
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by threadstone(m): 12:14pm On Jun 29, 2016
Evidence1000:
I heard my neighbor's daughter reciting states and capital and when she got to Gombe, I began wondering why it has the same name as it's capital. Even Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Sokoto... All northern states. Why is it so? I've tried google but it hasn't been my friend in this situation. So, anyone in the house ??

My best guess is most states carry the name of the most important town (which may later turn out to be the capital) ditto kano, enugu.

the jostle for state creation as an article once explained says every village wants to be a local government and every town wants to be a state.

Best guess for where the capital of Ibadan will be if created?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Evidence1000(m): 12:15pm On Jun 29, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
OP is a bigot

What if I tell you that I'm related to northerners ?
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Sheggy13(m): 12:15pm On Jun 29, 2016
Opiletool:
If Ondo town had been chosen as Ondo State capital, it would have been "Ondo - Ondo"
Shows that the state got its name from that town- Ondo town. I'm still curious to know why of all numerous towns in the state, Ondo was considered to be the name of the state when it's not even the capital city? I think same explanation should suffice in this case of Oyo state from Oyo town instead of Ibadan etc.
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Drsheddy(m): 12:20pm On Jun 29, 2016
Dekina-Dekina, Ankpa-Ankpa, Okene-Okene etc cool
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Evidence1000(m): 12:22pm On Jun 29, 2016
threadstone:

My best guess is most states carry the name of the most important town (which may later turn out to be the capital) ditto kano, enugu.

the jostle for state creation as an article once explained says every village wants to be a local government and every town wants to be a state.

Best guess for where the capital of Ibadan will be if created?

You have a very salient point here sir.
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Opiletool(m): 12:24pm On Jun 29, 2016
Sheggy13:

Shows that the state got its name from that town- Ondo town. I'm still curious to know why of all numerous towns in the state, Ondo was considered to be the name of the state when it's not even the capital city? I think same explanation should suffice in this case of Oyo state from Oyo town instead of Ibadan etc.

I often Wonder as well (in the case of Ondo) . But that of Oyo, one could have easily concluded that the name was chosen due to the fact that Oyo town Used to be an empire. A Very poweful and popular state history wise.
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by chuose: 12:34pm On Jun 29, 2016
isaacputi:

You see your life...you and HATE are like bread and butter, so you don't know ENUGU-ENUGU?
LATER U WILL BE SAYING EVERYBODY HATES THE IBOS, CHECK YOURSELF.

[size=13pt]Yes see love for igbo people in action [/size]

[size=13pt]With the Oba's warning to our Igbo cousins[/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS92_6LlXuo
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by wacoj(m): 12:44pm On Jun 29, 2016
I really do not know why people will always read meanings to everything.
Why must people be tribalistic all the time.

A question was asked to broaden our knowledge, if you don't know the ans, why not keep quite.

OP: The reason some states have same name with their capital is because the name of CAPITAL was already
existing and very popular before the state was created and when the state was created it was centred on the
capital. For instance if you come to Lagos state, there is a place called Lagos. Most times you hear people
in Lagos state saying I am going to Lagos. Had it been that place is the centre of Lagos state not Ikeja,
Lagos state would have been among the states having same name with their capital.

For Instance, we are agitating for Aba state in Abia state, I am pretty sure if it is granted, the capital will also be Aba.

THANK ME LATER EVERYONE! Ijust want to make common sense!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by braining01: 12:48pm On Jun 29, 2016
My generation recites it as kaduna-katsina, Anambra-enugu, kano-kano, sokoto-sokoto until some states were later created for una generation.
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Jexyme(f): 12:51pm On Jun 29, 2016
Evidence1000:

It's not what you think. I did not create this thread to breed ethnic war. I'm sorry I skipped Enugu. Looking at the Nigerian map, you'll realise that it's mostly northern states.

Copied:

Because the state adopted the name of the capital.

Note that places existed before a name for that state is coined out.
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by cnnamoko(m): 12:52pm On Jun 29, 2016
Gh
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Tolupage(m): 12:56pm On Jun 29, 2016
states have same name as capital because those capitals are big towns within d states. Just like you have ondo town in ondo state.

Kaduna is a town in Kaduna state big enough to be named the state capital
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by babyfaceafrica: 1:04pm On Jun 29, 2016
Evidence1000:

What if I tell you that I'm related to northerners ?
related to but not one!! U sha won yab northerners u don succeed na
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Evidence1000(m): 1:09pm On Jun 29, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
related to but not one!! U sha won yab northerners u don succeed na

Are you a northerner?
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by SMARTKOSSY: 1:25pm On Jun 29, 2016
isaacputi:

You see your life...you and HATE are like bread and butter, so you don't know ENUGU-ENUGU?
LATER U WILL BE SAYING EVERYBODY HATES THE IBOS, CHECK YOURSELF.
u people should take note it is igbo not ibo. U can't say Yoruba is yorba
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Demmzy15(m): 1:26pm On Jun 29, 2016
AnusOdourInhaler:

If you observed well, you'll noticed that the first person to bring any sentiment is from the same region with the OP. The Poster Foolest85 wrote "what else do u expect 4rm a goro chewing dullards' region?" so who is to be blamed for ethnic sentiment?
The North existed as Arewa before the amalgamation, so the North had fully functional government that is partitioned in major cities and towns, Sokoto is the center, that's it, all other Emirates reports to the sultan, so, naturally, when Nigeria was formed and states were being created, the name of those major cities was used to named the area and towns were the new states were carved out.. In the case of Kano - Kano, the Kano as in the state capital is called Kano municipal, because many Local governments are now merged in to the capital.. Thanks
Nice one, but your moniker and signature is nasty! cheesy grin grin
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by AnanseK(m): 1:26pm On Jun 29, 2016
When in 1976 the head of state approved the creation of 19 states ( justice Ayo Irikefe committee recommendation) from the 12 states created by Yakubu Gowon, the naming of the states was neutral and states were mainly named after major rivers or other physical structures nearby. For example Kogi, Kwara and Niger were all named after the River Niger. Ogun, Osun, Oyo, Anambra, Gongola, Benue cross river and Rivers were all named in the same fashion, so was plateau also named after a physical feature. Kano and lagos states retained their names as major historical and commercial centers that are effectively city states. The other Northern states including those states created later tend to reflect the historical city states that existed in history eg Sokoto, Kebbi,katsina, Adamawa, Borno and Bauchi. Other states like Enugu and kaduna had their fame from being regional capitals and became state names. The newest states like Yobe ( river Yobe) Jigawa ( the Hausa name for the Hadejia Sand Dunes) took physical feature names. These later states names had input from the people for the names , so the selection has some local pride and relevance eg Akwa Ibom, Ekiti, Taraba, Nassarawa and Bayelsa. In the Murtala created states no input was allowed from the states.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by AnusOdourInhaler: 1:29pm On Jun 29, 2016
Demmzy15:
Nice one, but your moniker and signature is nasty! cheesy grin grin
My nigga! Ramadan Kareem
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Demmzy15(m): 1:30pm On Jun 29, 2016
AnusOdourInhaler:

My nigga! Ramadan Kareem
Rather Ramadan Mubarak! grin Hope fasting dey go on well o?
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by isaacputi(m): 1:37pm On Jun 29, 2016
SMARTKOSSY:
u people should take note it is igbo not ibo. U can't say Yoruba is yorba
Thanks for the correction
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by isaacputi(m): 1:44pm On Jun 29, 2016
chuose:

[size=13pt]Yes see love for igbo people in action [/size]

[size=13pt]With the Oba's warning to our Igbo cousins[/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS92_6LlXuo

This is not enough reason for the Igbos to always act as a Villain when they know this is not a nollywood script...this is reality.
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Agmohd008(m): 1:51pm On Jun 29, 2016
Evidence1000:
I heard my neighbor's daughter reciting states and capital and when she got to Gombe, I began wondering why it has the same name as it's capital. Even Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Sokoto... All northern states. Why is it so? I've tried google but it hasn't been my friend in this situation. So, anyone in the house ??
Let me guess. The states with this issue are mostly states led by central traditional power, the territory of that traditional power automatically becomes the capital and hence bear the name given to the state. This is an exception to Kaduna and some, where Kaduna is having its central traditional authority in Zaria.
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by AnusOdourInhaler: 1:59pm On Jun 29, 2016
Demmzy15:
Rather Ramadan Mubarak! grin Hope fasting dey go on well o?
Yes, e dey go steadily, but the thing say, we dey do test by day, so person no fit do much prayers.. Thank God Sha, hope all is well with you?
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Demmzy15(m): 2:12pm On Jun 29, 2016
AnusOdourInhaler:

Yes, e dey go steadily, but the thing say, we dey do test by day, so person no fit do much prayers.. Thank God Sha, hope all is well with you?
Alhamdulillah bro, may Allaah put Albariqah in the tests Insha'Allah!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Nbote(m): 2:22pm On Jun 29, 2016
Lescalier:

You are the true son / daughter of ur father.
Son...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

UNILAG Postgraduate Past Questions And Answers PDF Free Download / Cultism: Taraba State University Expels 8 Cultists, Students / Babangida Ahmad, BUK Student Slumps, Dies In Hostel (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.