Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:01 AM

Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death (25026 Views)

Albert Obazee Turns Racist Asking An Igbo Hawker To Go To His State / British Government Releases Official Statement On Ibori's Deportation / KAI Officials & Soldiers Clash In Ojuelegba, Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by MisterMetro: 7:05pm On Jun 29, 2016
The Lagos State Government has clarified the misconception surrounding the unfortunate incident where a street hawker was knocked down by an oncoming truck at Maryland Bus Stop on Wednesday.

The street hawker, who was trying to evade arrest from officials of Kick Against Indiscipline (KAI), had attempted to cross the road before being hit by the truck, which was erroneously thought to be a BRT Bus.

As a result, hoodlums armed with sticks and stones, immediately descended on some BRT buses plying the route as at the time of the incident and in the process destroyed several of the BRT buses.

But the Government in a statement signed the Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr. Steve Ayorinde, said that contrary to the information being circulated in the social media that the street hawker was hit by a BRT bus, it was a truck belonging to a soft drink company that unfortunately hit the boy.

“It wasn’t any of our buses that killed him (hawker), it was a soft drink company truck that unfortunately crushed the boy while he was trying to escape from KAI officers who were on patrol trying to rid the street of street hawkers and traders.

“But hoodlums now took advantage of that to start destroying government assets, including several of the brand new BRT buses,” he said.

Ayorinde said it took the intervention of a team from the Rapid Response Squad (RRS) to quell the riotous scene caused by the hoodlums before the corpse of the boy was taken to the morgue at the General Hospital, Ikeja.

The Commissioner said that at least three hoodlums alleged to have been part of the mob that destroyed the BRT buses have been arrested, saying that the law would take its full course.

“The Lagos State Government would like to use this opportunity to further reiterate that it would not relent in ridding the state of illegality, street trading and hawking,” he said.

Ayorinde said that Section one of the Lagos State Street Trading and Illegal Market Prohibition Law 2003, restricts street trading and hawking in the metropolis, while Sections Seven and Eight of the same law gives jurisdiction and power to the Special Court to order the seizure and public auction of items impounded from street traders.

Section 10 of the law, he said, also prescribes a N5000 fine or three months imprisonment upon conviction.

“Street traders are hereby urged to desist from this illegal activity because the government will not be blackmailed and would do that which is necessary.

“And for the miscreants and hoodlums, the Lagos State Government and the Police Command would not allow any act of civil disobedience and those arrested would be dealt with in accordance with the law and further arrests would be made as investigation continues,” he said.

SIGNED

STEVE AYORINDE

COMMISSIONER FOR INFORMATION AND STRATEGY

LAGOS STATE

JUNE 29, 2016

http://www.metronaija.com/2016/06/lagos-releases-official-statement-on.html

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by oluwafreshkid(m): 7:21pm On Jun 29, 2016
Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jun 29, 2016
Wetin dey this Lagos sef angry , Calabar is so peaceful cool

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by willyo(m): 7:39pm On Jun 29, 2016
Getting rid of hawkers and vendors yet u can't create jobs...
The next thing... Labelled a criminal and the rest is history
This government of the day where the government doesn't exist...
God help the poor

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by Nobody: 7:44pm On Jun 29, 2016
willyo:
God help the poor
Very unreasonable post you made..is the government supposed to provide job for everyone?? or did the government cause the mass influx of citizens to lagos state everyday...What is wrong is wrong,stop spewing thrash online abeg... If you cant reason objectively,then think theoritically.

151 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by demolinka(m): 7:55pm On Jun 29, 2016
Another needless death...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by sarrki(m): 8:12pm On Jun 29, 2016
Na who i go believe sef

1 Like

Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by estuary: 8:45pm On Jun 29, 2016
[color=#006600][/color]
willyo:
God help the poor
Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by willyo(m): 9:02pm On Jun 29, 2016
Justdulla:

Very unreasonable post you made..is the government supposed to provide job for everyone?? or did the government cause the mass influx of citizens to lagos state everyday...What is wrong is wrong,stop spewing thrash online abeg... If you cant reason objectively,then think theoritically.

Must everybody run on a white collar job? I think 'No' is a befitting answer.
Is there a constitutional decree that restricts movements within states? 'No' I think is the right answer.
Since Govt. Cannot provide job for all, the all should provide means for themselves...
The resolute answer to them is hawking.
Think about our economic downstride... Would u fold ur hands and urself and family members die? U cld say 'Yes'... To me, 'No'.
Should they had used robbery and other social vices as a means to an end? I decline in strong terms...
Maybe u cld tell me sth else... Willing to listen

93 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jun 29, 2016
willyo:

Must everybody run on a white collar job? I think 'No' is a befitting answer.
Is there a constitutional decree that restricts movements within states? 'No' I think is the right answer.
Since Govt. Cannot provide job for all, the all should provide means for themselves...
The resolute answer to them is hawking.
Think about our economic downstride... Would u fold ur hands and urself and family members die? U cld say 'Yes'... To me, 'No'.
Should they had used robbery and other social vices as a means to an end? I decline in strong terms...
Maybe u cld tell me sth else... Willing to listen
ok lemme talk...so u talking bout other feasible option.. What happened to craftsmanship,learning a trade,skilled and unskilled labour. These are all subseta of the white collar job. If that same kid was a mechanic or vulcanizer or prolly a car wash attendant. Kai officers wont be running after him .There is a law in the land and he broke it,if what he was doing was right,he wouldnt have scampered like he dis,he put his life at risk because he knew what he was doing was wrong. An unfortunate occurence took place and this should serve as a lesson to other law breakers. We cant say we want Nigeria to change and we are not ready to change afterall we are the same Nigerians and change is expected of Everyone... We always blame our leaders for being corrupt but we are far more corrupt than they are. The common man is the major problem of Nigeria, The common man marries a wife in the case of the North 2 or 3 wifes,he copulates and gives birth to tens of offspring,he creates poverty in his household and now spreads it to his environment. Are you telling me you will see Tinubus or Buharis kids hawking gala? answer is NO. The common man basterdized the freedom in Nigeria to commit unspeakable acts he litters his environment with dirt,downpour occurs there is a flood he blames the government. He erects a structure under a high tension,Govt pulls it down he screams wickedness. Everything in Nigeria we blame the government,when are we gona start to blame our own selves for some of our careless attitude towards urgent matters? Such kid would have been in the Village farming or doing menial labour,but know he was in the city and the city killed him. Nigerians have this mentality of making it big in the city whereas there is nothing really big in the city. Government cant cater and be responsible for all our needs,its high time we accept the blame for some of our misdeed. You may see me as cold hearted,but trust me am not,am a common man,but i reason objectively,i obey the laws of the land and respect people. I have a believe that if you do or say no wrong,you would be secure from harms way to an extent. I dont blame the KAI officials,neither do I blame the poor kid that died.But simple truth is that a misadventure occured and we shouldnt be sentimental about it.. Left for me its the Animals that started destroying public properties that should be held accounatble for disturbing public peace and causing anarchy. Thank u

129 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by RZArecta(m): 10:49pm On Jun 29, 2016
Justdulla:

[s]Very unreasonable post you made..is the government supposed to provide job for everyone?? or did the government cause the mass influx of citizens to lagos state everyday...What is wrong is wrong,stop spewing thrash online abeg... If you cant reason objectively,then think theoritically.[/s]

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by willyo(m): 10:51pm On Jun 29, 2016
Justdulla:

ok lemme talk...so u talking bout other feasible option.. What happened to craftsmanship,learning a trade,skilled and unskilled labour. These are all subseta of the white collar job. If that same kid was a mechanic or vulcanizer or prolly a car wash attendant. Kai officers wont be running after him .There is a law in the land and he broke it,if what he was doing was right,he wouldnt have scampered like he dis,he put his life at risk because he knew what he was doing was wrong. An unfortunate occurence took place and this should serve as a lesson to other law breakers. We cant say we want Nigeria to change and we are not ready to change afterall we are the same Nigerians and change is expected of Everyone... We always blame our leaders for being corrupt but we are far more corrupt than they are. The common man is the major problem of Nigeria, The common man marries a wife in the case of the North 2 or 3 wifes,he copulates and gives birth to tens of offspring,he creates poverty in his household and now spreads it to his environment. Are you telling me you will see Tinubus or Buharis kids hawking gala? answer is NO. The common man basterdized the freedom in Nigeria to commit unspeakable acts he litters his environment with dirt,downpour occurs there is a flood he blames the government. He erects a structure under a high tension,Govt pulls it down he screams wickedness. Everything in Nigeria we blame the government,when are we gona start to blame our own selves for some of our careless attitude towards urgent matters? Such kid would have been in the Village farming or doing menial labour,but know he was in the city and the city killed him. Nigerians have this mentality of making it big in the city whereas there is nothing really big in the city. Government cant cater and be responsible for all our needs,its high time we accept the blame for some of our misdeed. You may see me as cold hearted,but trust me am not,am a common man,but i reason objectively,i obey the laws of the land and respect people. I have a believe that if you do or say no wrong,you would be secure from harms way to an extent. I dont blame the KAI officials,neither do I blame the poor kid that died.But simple truth is that a misadventure occured and we shouldnt be sentimental about it.. Left for me its the Animals that started destroying public properties that should be held accounatble for disturbing public peace and causing anarchy. Thank u

Thanks a lot for your time and constructive ideas... I really appreciate, But:
So many craftsmen are jobless and don't even have a start-head due to conditions i percieve u wld undstand

The man in question cld even be one of those who may have had a craft or trade but cld meet the requirements for a start due to the nature of our ways of life and the economic situation of this country

Conducive avenues are not being put in place before the total elimination of this struggle to make ends meet from the streets

The rich doesn't even know if it hurts... Feel blessed when u're not in such situations...

Look at your leaders and u wld be disappointed

74 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by veekid(m): 7:38am On Jun 30, 2016
Died hustling

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by charles594(m): 7:39am On Jun 30, 2016
now who's lying

Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by Cherishing(f): 7:39am On Jun 30, 2016
Those two mofos up there sha

Isn't it too early

Abi dem curse Una two with argument ??!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by Sunnycliff(m): 7:40am On Jun 30, 2016
willyo:
God help the poor

Two edges sword is this statement!

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by Sunnycliff(m): 7:41am On Jun 30, 2016
Justdulla:

Govt did not provide job for everyone and some people resorted to hawking and you are now crucifying them, smh!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by Nobody: 7:42am On Jun 30, 2016
Funny how its easy for those in power to brand us as hoodlums.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by izzou(m): 7:44am On Jun 30, 2016
Justdulla:

You can be more reasonable

You sound educated. Just add a little common sense and you will be perfect

Thank you

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by Spells(m): 7:44am On Jun 30, 2016
KAI SO U GUYS are now kicking people to there death abi.... I no wan hear any explanation

1 Like

Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by Aspireahead(m): 7:44am On Jun 30, 2016
princeofpeace22:

which Calabar? Gbaramatu is more peaceful than Calabar now o

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by Nobody: 7:45am On Jun 30, 2016
rid d streets of hawkers and d will bcom criminals. those guys shud kuku stay in thier villages riding bikes. its beta dan standing on d road all day to mk 5h

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by hazyfm: 7:46am On Jun 30, 2016
angry angry angry

Maryland HOODLUMS will be like..

THIS 'GOVUMENTI' CAN LAYI OH!

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by kingthreat(m): 7:46am On Jun 30, 2016
princeofpeace22:

Everything including your delicious dogmeat
Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by ibadanfinest(m): 7:48am On Jun 30, 2016
Its a painful death. I blame no one. Kai was trying to do his job, the guy was huzzling.

I will just plead we try to obey the law of the land.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by Luckymay(f): 7:48am On Jun 30, 2016
Nigerians being an enemy of the government and also an enemy of themselves. Even if it was the brt bus that knocked down the victim, would destroying it bring him back.? We must desist from jungle justice. Destroying the bus is like biting our noses to spite our faces cos the government doesn't use the brt bus.... We do.
I hope they rot In jail for vandalism. Meanwhile Rip to the poor boy.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by Nobody: 7:50am On Jun 30, 2016
Justdulla:

Hypocrisy is when you don't want peaceful hawkers but you support rampaging fulani herdsmen hawking violence everywhere

7 Likes

Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by fairheven: 7:50am On Jun 30, 2016
in all of this trashy explanation, not a single thought for the innocent boy your officials chased to death?
and what happens to the officials that chased him to death?
obviously YOUR BRT bus is more important than the boy's life

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by Tjohnnay: 7:51am On Jun 30, 2016
undecided

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by mizzbouqui(f): 7:52am On Jun 30, 2016
Who will now sell to me gala and lacasara while in traffic, abeg leave them alone o

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by eyekaynoble: 7:52am On Jun 30, 2016
Lies & more lies everyday. Haba! Truck ke? So all d people around there cldnt differentiate btwn a brt & a truck? This country sef... R.i.p. 2 d dead

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by Nobody: 7:53am On Jun 30, 2016
izzou:

You can be more reasonable

You sound educated. Just add a little common sense and you will be perfect

Thank you
punch line cheesy

9 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Atiku: "Darkness Awaits Us If We Do Nothing About These Attacks..." / Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly Under Siege By SARS (Photos) / ICC Acknowledges Akintoye, Igboho’s Petition Against Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.