Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:00 PM

Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya (22950 Views)

Literary Icon And Author Of 'the Concubine' Elechi Amadi, Dies At 82 / Foremost Writer Elechi Amadi Dies / Elechi Amadi Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya by Ikwerreboy(m): 1:29am On Jun 30, 2016
Stepping out in a brown Kaunda suit, well kempt grey hair, and searching eyes peering through rimmed glasses, Amadi was animated in his encounter with students, journalists and political activists in Nairobi.

He was here on the invitation of the Centre for Multiparty Democracy and was accompanied by his wife Priye Iyalla.

Many years after his numerous publications, Amadi believes he has only managed a "modest achievement"

"I think I have achieved something in terms of projecting African literature…and projecting the African traditions. We can write stories out of stuff of our own lives as it comes out deliberately in The Concubine," he said.

Photo: The famed Nigerian novelist, Dr Elechi Amadi with his wife Dr Mrs Priye Iyalla Amadi at Sarova Stanley Hotel in Nairobi, Kenya.

source : www.standardmedia.co.ke/mobile/article/2000028462/the-trouble-with-africa-is-that-its-rich-leaders-are-poorly-educated

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya by redvektor(m): 1:39am On Jun 30, 2016
hmmmm
Re: Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya by Lordskyes(m): 4:18am On Jun 30, 2016
Oh
Re: Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya by amtaken(f): 5:55am On Jun 30, 2016
RIP WISE man.

2 Likes

Re: Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya by Pyno30: 10:20am On Jun 30, 2016
Smilling to Death. . May you Smile to Heaven. . Rest In Peace

8 Likes

Re: Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya by Seuncoded(f): 10:21am On Jun 30, 2016
Rip
Re: Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya by charles594(m): 10:23am On Jun 30, 2016
RIP

1 Share

Re: Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya by adebayosun02: 10:23am On Jun 30, 2016
RIP a great man cum SURVEYOR
Re: Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya by ceeplus(m): 10:24am On Jun 30, 2016
See fine boi...RIP brother

2 Likes

Re: Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya by slapandfall(m): 10:25am On Jun 30, 2016
Ok
Re: Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya by egedege1(m): 10:25am On Jun 30, 2016
R.I.P
Re: Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya by onupeter(m): 10:26am On Jun 30, 2016
RIP
Re: Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya by awesomegenius(m): 10:30am On Jun 30, 2016
R.I.P Sir..........Just can't stop reading your novel "the concubine"

5 Likes

Re: Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya by Aristotle96(m): 10:33am On Jun 30, 2016
Ikwerre Meka o... Chief Elder Elechi Amadi buh yeh dike... Rip son of the soil... Sir cry

2 Likes

Re: Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya by dealslip(f): 10:40am On Jun 30, 2016
i love this man die. such a brilliant writer. the plot of his famous book, the concubine almost had no fault.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya by Nobody: 10:42am On Jun 30, 2016
We Ikwerre people have really lost an icon here. Rip sir
Re: Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya by Obinnau(m): 10:44am On Jun 30, 2016
Re: Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya by Evalily(f): 11:05am On Jun 30, 2016
Greatest novelist of his time..... I read "The concubine" more than 5 times without getting bored.

RIP.. .....Literal Genius!

2 Likes

Re: Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya by obindomanya(m): 11:12am On Jun 30, 2016
heiya, i read his prose'the concubine' as O level student 1998. rest in peace bro

1 Like

Re: Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya by owie05(m): 11:22am On Jun 30, 2016
I READ THE CONCUBINE WEN I WAS IN SECONDARY SCH. VERY LUVLY NOVEL. KIDS OF DIS DAYS TRY N READ THE NOVEL. ONE LUV.

1 Like

Re: Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya by NosaHenry(m): 11:35am On Jun 30, 2016
Aside Things Fall Apart. I think his novel The Concubine is one of the best from Africa. Great man RIP

3 Likes

Re: Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya by Zico5(m): 11:38am On Jun 30, 2016
The concubine
Re: Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya by Olypeppy(f): 11:40am On Jun 30, 2016
RIP GREAT WRITER
Re: Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya by IME1: 11:55am On Jun 30, 2016
i read concubine in 1998
it was a wonderful and intriguing experience
- when i would be reading it and day light dims i would go and look for torch or anything
-when i got to the end i would ask is that all, just like that Emenike died and ... what
-wonderful book.
may his soul rest in peace.
Nigeria really has great writers.
i hope to be one, one day!
working on my books!
wish me God's speed.

2 Likes

Re: Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya by joe120120(m): 11:59am On Jun 30, 2016
Ikwerreboy:
Stepping out in a brown Kaunda suit, well kempt grey hair, and searching eyes peering through rimmed glasses, Amadi was animated in his encounter with students, journalists and political activists in Nairobi.

He was here on the invitation of the Centre for Multiparty Democracy and was accompanied by his wife Priye Iyalla.

Many years after his numerous publications, Amadi believes he has only managed a "modest achievement"

"I think I have achieved something in terms of projecting African literature…and projecting the African traditions. We can write stories out of stuff of our own lives as it comes out deliberately in The Concubine," he said.

Photo: The famed Nigerian novelist, Dr Elechi Amadi with his wife Dr Mrs Priye Iyalla Amadi at Sarova Stanley Hotel in Nairobi, Kenya.

source : www.standardmedia.co.ke/mobile/article/2000028462/the-trouble-with-africa-is-that-its-rich-leaders-are-poorly-educated

RIP mento
Re: Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya by ThunderingHooves: 12:27pm On Jun 30, 2016
I remember as a high school student in nairobi diligently studying his novel "The Concubine", for my o levels. I distinctly remember trying to get our local tongues around some of the names in the novel. We also marvelled at the similarities in cultural practises described in the book between those of his community and some of ours. Feels just like yesterday.

He shall be dearly missed by lovers of books everywhere.
Re: Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya by mamagee3(f): 2:25pm On Jun 30, 2016
May his soul rest in peace!!!
Re: Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya by Sweetguy25: 8:32pm On Jun 30, 2016
RIP man. The concubine was of the best books that perfectly describes igbo culture and traditions. I wonder how anIkwerre man could write such
Re: Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya by DRCIC(m): 11:02pm On Jun 30, 2016
Aristotle96:
Ikwerre Meka o... Chief Elder Elechi Amadi buh yeh dike... Rip son of the soil... Sir cry

Dieli wene badu. RIP sir, u made ur people proud.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Throw Back Picture Of Wole Soyinka On A Stage Play 1960(pics) / Finding Mrs Right / DESIRE 2(house On Fire) By John Mfon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.