Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,930 members, 7,956,497 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 12:55 PM

Who Replaces Gani As Masses Defender? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Replaces Gani As Masses Defender? (3517 Views)

Kachikwu Replaces Alison-Madueke As OPEC President / OPC Council Disowns Gani Adams, For Betraying Yoruba Nation / Gani Adams Reveals That 85% Of Lagosians Want Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Replaces Gani As Masses Defender? by sley4life(m): 3:32pm On Sep 06, 2009
Nobody 4 now
Re: Who Replaces Gani As Masses Defender? by Redman44(m): 3:34pm On Sep 06, 2009
@Poster

You've started a good thread. However, I don't think there is any replacement for Gani at the moment. I'm gradually losing faith in Nigerian youths. Selfishness and mediocrity is destroying the positive values that Nigerian youths are supposed to hold. Crass ignorance is another disease that is destroying the youths. Gani Fawehinmi was a maverick lawyer and human rights activist, and that was why he was a great man. He did things differently and had his own mind. He was a visionary who built structures that will outlive him. He started the Nigerian Weekly Law Reports and was a mentor to many young lawyers in the country. I'm sorry to say this, but most Nigerian youths do not have a mind of their own. They are mostly followers and are slow to change. During my service year, I came across a lot of corpers who did not have lofty ideals or strong personal principles. They had started to embezzle money from camp as Platoon leaders and deputies. Go through history and read about the men and women who changed the destinies of their countries. They were mostly mavericks and deep thinkers who saw the future beyond what obtained presently. Gani Fawehinmi fought for the masses because he was seeing light at the end of the tunnel. 97% of Nigerian youths are not visionaries. And that is a great problem on its own.
Re: Who Replaces Gani As Masses Defender? by supereagle(m): 4:12pm On Sep 06, 2009
There can not be another him again, we can not get another replacement for him,he fulfilled his purpose for which God created him for-fighting for the masses and the oppressed. IBB can not forget him like that,the only activist he did not get to his side.
Keyamo can not replace him, his shoes will be too big for him to put on.
I hope FGN will immortalize him, if they fail to do that , his memory will ever remain evergreen in our minds. This generation of masses can not forget him like that.
May God grant his family the grace to bear the loss with fortitude.
Adieu Baba Of Nigerian Masses.
We can only be remembered for what we have done.
One day we shall pass away from this world.
Strive to bring positive effects to the people of your generation
Live for the people of your Generation.
Re: Who Replaces Gani As Masses Defender? by jdnatialo(m): 4:27pm On Sep 06, 2009
who ever posted this topic deserves a bear hug i believe the citizens are now aware n concious of their rights firstly BABA GANI is IRREPLACEABLE we can only pick up from where he stopped.
on our leaders they are so damn corrupt nigerians it's high time we dropped the phrase"NA GOD GO HELP US" we need a bloodless revolution i keep saying this youths,citizens let's not allow d labor of our past heroes be in vain.the int'l community keep saying "we doubt if there will be a nigeria by 2015" to prove them wrong let's start doing things RIGHT e.g say no to bad corrupt people in the next election n we should always be honest n truthful as citizens
i rest my thumb embarassed lipsrsealed sad angry
Re: Who Replaces Gani As Masses Defender? by fyneguy: 4:30pm On Sep 06, 2009
Guys chill.

I will replace GANI grin

This man really tried for the masses.
Re: Who Replaces Gani As Masses Defender? by Drunk: 4:36pm On Sep 06, 2009
Can i nominate

Shehu Sani?

Check him out
Re: Who Replaces Gani As Masses Defender? by akigbemaru: 4:52pm On Sep 06, 2009
I think right now, only two people are available to fill the post. It's either Festus Keyamo or Oliseh Agbakoba. You might want to think of Femi Falana but his ideology does not center around anything masses or poors. Then, everyone of you who is willing to replace; can you bear the consequences? This is not about replacement, it has to do with inate passion for defending masses. With this being said, you can vote for either one of this two people "Festus Keyamo or Oliseh Agbakoba."
Re: Who Replaces Gani As Masses Defender? by cap28: 7:37pm On Sep 06, 2009
You've started a good thread. However, I don't think there is any replacement for Gani at the moment. I'm gradually losing faith in Nigerian youths. Selfishness and mediocrity is destroying the positive values that Nigerian youths are supposed to hold. Crass ignorance is another disease that is destroying the youths. Gani Fawehinmi was a maverick lawyer and human rights activist, and that was why he was a great man. He did things differently and had his own mind. He was a visionary who built structures that will outlive him. He started the Nigerian Weekly Law Reports and was a mentor to many young lawyers in the country. I'm sorry to say this, but most Nigerian youths do not have a mind of their own. They are mostly followers and are slow to change. During my service year, I came across a lot of corpers who did not have lofty ideals or strong personal principles. They had started to embezzle money from camp as Platoon leaders and deputies. Go through history and read about the men and women who changed the destinies of their countries. They were mostly mavericks and deep thinkers who saw the future beyond what obtained presently. Gani Fawehinmi fought for the masses because he was seeing light at the end of the tunnel. 97% of Nigerian youths are not visionaries. And that is a great problem on its own.

totally agree with the above, it is up to us and no one else to overthrow this corrupt evil oligarchy, no emancipated group in the world has acheived freedom without loss of life, but do we have the stomach for death because that is the price that we are going to have to pay in order to rid ourselves of these demons, until all of us are ready to make that personal sacrifice i think that we will continue to live as an enslaved people in our own country.
Re: Who Replaces Gani As Masses Defender? by Agbotoba(m): 10:21pm On Sep 06, 2009
Most youths nowadays are awashed with the phenomenon of crass materialism, hence, we find it difficult to nominate who replaces Gani. Names like Falana, Agbakoba, Keyamo have been mentioned but have they truly stood on the side of the masses? Do they really care for the common man or what they stand to gain from legal suits?

Let us think deeply and we will find a big vacuum on who replaces Gani. People care more about self aggradizement and cheap popularity pushing aside probity, accountability and integrity. How many of our young lawyers are ready to serve the masses? How many of our human rights champions truly defend the masses sacrificially?

Nigeria has lost the single challenger of government and its policies. Please tell me that person in modern Nigeria who can wear Gani's shoes?
Re: Who Replaces Gani As Masses Defender? by Agbotoba(m): 10:45pm On Sep 06, 2009
A country whose foundation has been reinforced with corruption, nepotism, lawlessness and oppression may not get a good replacement for Gani.

You and I dont care about the masses but only wealth creation and this has negatively affected the very existence of the nation. Deep in our hearts, we have failed the masses. People are now clamouring for the abolishment of SAN arguing it has been bastardized and institutionalized to benefit a few privileged lawyers based on either family popularity or government romance. Good character and pure merit are being sliced into pieces while nominating lawyers for SAN.

It is a sad development we are experiencing.
Re: Who Replaces Gani As Masses Defender? by Nezan(m): 9:50am On Sep 07, 2009
One thing remains certain- Gani will be missed by foes and friends alike.
Re: Who Replaces Gani As Masses Defender? by mafolayomi(f): 11:08am On Sep 07, 2009
but why has he not been buried?
Re: Who Replaces Gani As Masses Defender? by darlous(m): 12:13pm On Sep 07, 2009
There will always be. think about it
Re: Who Replaces Gani As Masses Defender? by kuramo: 12:36pm On Sep 07, 2009
Adieu Gani,  may your ideals be realised sooner than later. As to the question of who can fill the shoes of the great man, that remains to be seen.
Re: Who Replaces Gani As Masses Defender? by Dereformer(m): 4:11pm On Sep 07, 2009
Gani is a Legend. He was the voice of the oppressed. He stood for the weak. He defended the defenseless. He was one of the few who fought the military with their lives. GANI may your soul rest in peace. From me DEREFORMER
Re: Who Replaces Gani As Masses Defender? by masky99: 4:13pm On Sep 07, 2009
Gani devoted his life fighting for the downtroden and the common man.May the good Lord grant his soul eternal rest in Jesus name. Amen!

Ribadu is another man of the people.even though he has relocated to UK .Yes he is right because according to Bob Marley he who fights and runs away,lives to fight another day.
Re: Who Replaces Gani As Masses Defender? by spoOne: 4:20pm On Sep 07, 2009
Too big a shoe, and too tall an order.
Re: Who Replaces Gani As Masses Defender? by blesdman(m): 6:04pm On Sep 07, 2009
Gani was A MAN. I almost cried when I heard it. This guy had the guts and character of a hero. Untiring and unswaving in his convictions. Like one writer said, it will take ordinary nigerians standing for what is right whereever they are to keep on in the legacy of this legend.
GANI was a total believer in the rule of law and the rights of the common masses. I think that[b] we really need believers[/b]. Men who believe in these values and are willing to go miles for it to be entrenched in the society. That was the guts of this man. May his soul rest in peace.
As for his replacement. Keyamo shows some promise. Watch out for me also.
Re: Who Replaces Gani As Masses Defender? by ommo(m): 6:19pm On Sep 07, 2009
GANI THE FATHER OF THE MASSES IS GONE,

GONE TO REST WITH HIS CREATOR,

IN the sand of time, you left your foot prints,

Too heavy to be CARRIED,

Too DEEP to be ERASED

And too SOLID to be ERODED.

GANI, YOU GAVE VOICE TO THE VOICELESS,

GAVE STRENGTH TO THE WEAK

AND THE POOR WERE RICH BY SEEING YOU.

IN EDUCATION, YOUR COUNTLESS CONTRIBUTION THERE FOR US ALL,

YOU WERE SAN BEFORE YOU IT WAS CONFERRED ON YOU.

YOU WERE THERE FIRST MAN TO BRING RESPECT TO SAN when YOU were conferred, instead of the other way round.  

GANI YOU MADE SAN DISTINQUISH

THE FIRST and only TRUE  SSSSAAAAMMMM!!!!!

WE LOVE YOU BUT ALLAH LOVE YOU MORE

MAY YOU REST IN AL-JANAH FIDAUS WITH THE ANGELS

I PRAY ALLAH CONTINUE TO BLESS YOU EVEN IN YOUR GRAVE. DO I  AMIN FROM HOUSE sad sad sad sad sad shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked cry AMIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Who Replaces Gani As Masses Defender? by ommo(m): 6:21pm On Sep 07, 2009
GANI THE FATHER OF THE MASSES IS GONE,

GONE TO REST WITH HIS CREATOR,

IN the sand of time, you left your foot prints,

Too heavy to be CARRIED,

Too DEEP to be ERASED

And too SOLID to be ERODED.

GANI, YOU GAVE VOICE TO THE VOICELESS,

GAVE STRENGTH TO THE WEAK

AND THE POOR WERE RICH BY SEEING YOU.

IN EDUCATION, YOUR COUNTLESS CONTRIBUTION THERE FOR US ALL,

YOU WERE SAN BEFORE YOU IT WAS CONFERRED ON YOU.

YOU WERE THERE FIRST MAN TO BRING RESPECT TO SAN when YOU were conferred, instead of the other way round.

GANI YOU MADE SAN DISTINQUISH

THE FIRST and only TRUE SSSSAAAAMMMM!!!!!

WE LOVE YOU BUT ALLAH LOVE YOU MORE

MAY YOU REST IN AL-JANAH FIDAUS WITH THE ANGELS

I PRAY ALLAH CONTINUE TO BLESS YOU EVEN IN YOUR GRAVE. DO I HEAR AMIN FROM HOUSE sad sad sad sad sad shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked cry AMIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Who Replaces Gani As Masses Defender? by Agbotoba(m): 7:59pm On Sep 07, 2009
Gani touched so many lives. He was a force to be reckoned with.
Re: Who Replaces Gani As Masses Defender? by CrudeOil2(m): 8:54pm On Sep 07, 2009
James Ibori would take over from Gani.
Re: Who Replaces Gani As Masses Defender? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Sep 07, 2009
Maybe Pat Utomi undecided undecided

But on a not so serious note I think Reuben Abati, Dele Momodu and Bisi Olatilo will do lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Who Replaces Gani As Masses Defender? by Agbotoba(m): 4:02am On Sep 08, 2009
He was the voice of the voiceless, the hope of the hopeless,
Re: Who Replaces Gani As Masses Defender? by ndelta1(m): 6:32am On Sep 08, 2009
Festus Keyamo or Femi Falana
Re: Who Replaces Gani As Masses Defender? by ausdy(m): 8:14am On Sep 08, 2009
me i will defend all of you make u na no worry ok?
Re: Who Replaces Gani As Masses Defender? by Bashbaba(m): 10:15am On Sep 08, 2009
The beauty of a city is not determined by the number of story buildings and good roads that are available in that city but the number of educated youths in such city.In this regard,Gani is a builder of human resources.He had always been threading the path of  the truth even when he was alone.As a lone fighter that he was,he single handedly changed the destiny of his fatherland through thorough radical political civilization.He fast-forwarded the political devt of this state by decades.He stood tall among men because of his consistent consistencies as against their own inconsistent consistencies.

He was born in the village,
He lived in the city,
He  died in the  city
He will be buried in the village and amids his people but
He will lives on in the minds of the peoples.

Such a determined man comes once in a century.Definately not in my generation again.May Allah be pleased with him.
Re: Who Replaces Gani As Masses Defender? by Nobody: 11:16am On Sep 08, 2009
Gani Fawehinmi

Ako ni waju adajo
Re: Who Replaces Gani As Masses Defender? by initiate: 7:20pm On Sep 08, 2009
n_delta:

Festus Keyamo or Femi Falana

one cant really say for now. but i know keyamo will try the hardest. he has been positioning himself for sometime, pursuing people issues to get attention.
Re: Who Replaces Gani As Masses Defender? by blackboy(m): 7:28pm On Sep 08, 2009
Why in the world are people mentioning Festus Keyamo? Hmm, He is nothing near Gani. He is a government lawyer we should remember and we all saw how he handled the Bankole/Car purchase saga. Gani, was not a government agent and Im sure Gani would never have kept quiet the way Keyamo suddenly did over the Bankole/Car purschase scandal. Please!!! Gani was in a class of his own. Presently lets be sincere with ourselves. Ribadu? hmm , I respected his stance but people say he was selective and was obeying OBJ. Sanusi too is doing a gr8 job but years to come people might come out to say he was doing Yarudua's bidding. Gani, lets simply wait and see who can fill his shoes but now , NONE
Re: Who Replaces Gani As Masses Defender? by lawrence83: 7:34pm On Sep 08, 2009
yaradua will replce him tongue tonguetongue
Re: Who Replaces Gani As Masses Defender? by Agbotoba(m): 8:35pm On Sep 08, 2009
He lived, he saw, he fought, he conquered.
He was not afraid of anybody.
He didnt care whose ox is gored.
He lamented and cried out against military incursion into politics.
Nobody I mean nobody can replace him.
Our values and norms have been bastardized on the platter of wealth aggradizement.
We run after crass materialism nowadays.
We are ungrateful to Gani as Nigerians.
I am yet to see any human rights lawyer who is upright and transparent like Gani.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fat People Now Illegal In Japan (should Be Easy To Catch) / Purge Security And Intelligence Apparatus Without Delay, Goodluck Jonathan Urged / What Is Happening To NL Politics Section?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.