Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,272 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:14 AM

N750m Car Scam: Ortom Lauds EFCC Over Arrest Of Benue Speaker, 14 Lawmakers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N750m Car Scam: Ortom Lauds EFCC Over Arrest Of Benue Speaker, 14 Lawmakers (16356 Views)

Quit Notice: El-Rufai Playing With Fire Over Arrest Warrant – Arewa Youths / N750m Car Scam: EFCC Traces Fresh N500m To Benue Speaker’s Account / Abiodun Agbele Arrested By EFCC Over N4.7billion Arms Fraud (2) (3) (4)

N750m Car Scam: Ortom Lauds EFCC Over Arrest Of Benue Speaker, 14 Lawmakers by Slimbideb: 4:18am On Jul 01, 2016
…Vows to recover N107bn looted by Suswam

By Levinus Nwabughiogu

ABUJA—Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue State, yesterday commended operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, for investigating the Speaker and other members of the state House of Assembly for allegedly misappropriating N750 million meant for purchase of official cars.

The governor said his government would not condone any act of criminality or defend anyone who had a hand in fraud.

Recall that the Speaker of Benue State House of Assembly, Terkinbi Ikange; his deputy, James Ikefe; the Majority Leader, Benjamin Adanyi; Deputy Majority Leader, Nick Eworo; the Minority Leader, Sule Audu and 10 other members were arrested and detained on Monday in Abuja by the EFCC.

It was gathered that though they were let off the hook via bail on Wednesday evening after spending three days in detention, another seven members had been summoned by Commission to appear for questioning today (Friday).

Answering questions from State House Correspondents after a meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari at the presidential Villa, Abuja, Governor Ortom said in a matter of corruption, no one would be spared.

Ortom also vowed to recover N107 billion looted from the state treasury by the government of Governor Gabriel Suswam.

He said: “Yes it is a good thing, it is part of the process. They are under investigation by the EFCC. From day one I brought up a slogan that ‘if you chop money, money will chop you.

“We have to be careful and I have sent signals to all that nobody is above the law. If you do wrong, you will go your own way. As far as I’m concerned, they are under investigation. Let’s see the outcome we would have. As far as I’m concerned, my government will not shield anybody who is corrupt and who is found wanting. From myself as governor and every other lieutenant, we are opened to scrutiny.”

The governor however regretted that some people were peddling rumours of cash transfers against his government.

“There is freedom of information bill and people are allowed to get information from these sources. The only thing is that there is no point telling lies and peddling falsehood against leaders. Like I heard somebody said we transferred 2.4 billion dollars to an account. Which account, where is the money? Money that I don’t have to do local government election, or to pay salaries. If I have it wont I pay them? So it is allowed.

“EFCC is an agency that is charged to investigate and where somebody is found culpable you prosecute. So they are free to do their job in Benue State. I have given them free hand: ICPC, EFCC, and even for me I am doing independent prosecution of those who are corrupt,” he said.

He stated that already, some indicted persons had agreed to return N355 million to the state government.

He said: “The justice Kpojume commission came out with a report that N107 billion should be retrieved from 52 persons including the former governor and I am leaving no stones unturned to ensure that we recover this money because we need it for the development of Benue state.

“Already someone who was indicted has already offered to refund N355 million which we gave the approval in council on Wednesday. With that we are not interested in prosecution. The exco exonerated him, once he pays in the money, he has his clean bill.”

www.vanguardngr.com/2016/07/n750m-car-scam-ortom-lauds-efcc-arrest-benue-speaker-14-lawmakers/

Re: N750m Car Scam: Ortom Lauds EFCC Over Arrest Of Benue Speaker, 14 Lawmakers by Jonzingmaster(m): 4:20am On Jul 01, 2016
ok nah
Re: N750m Car Scam: Ortom Lauds EFCC Over Arrest Of Benue Speaker, 14 Lawmakers by kokozain(m): 4:22am On Jul 01, 2016
We shall get there gradually

Re: N750m Car Scam: Ortom Lauds EFCC Over Arrest Of Benue Speaker, 14 Lawmakers by DIKEnaWAR: 4:25am On Jul 01, 2016
Now fighting corruption has taken a new form. I am sure the Speaker and his people are not in Ortom's good books, else he wouldn't say this. They might even be PDP members! Hypocrisy and thievery in high places. The EFCC should just do a thorough job of cleaning the Augen stable in Benue government house; from Geroge Akume's time till now.

Please, when is Buratai, the saver-in-chief, appearing before the EFCC?

Re: N750m Car Scam: Ortom Lauds EFCC Over Arrest Of Benue Speaker, 14 Lawmakers by labamo07(m): 4:54am On Jul 01, 2016
Na so so recovery we go they hear and you go still dey look for bail out. come back and tell me your state is broke again if I won't slap you via Internet................

Re: N750m Car Scam: Ortom Lauds EFCC Over Arrest Of Benue Speaker, 14 Lawmakers by checkolatunji: 5:13am On Jul 01, 2016
DIKEnaWAR:
Now fighting corruption has taken a new form. I am sure the Speaker and his people are not in Ortom's good books, else he wouldn't say this. They might even be PDP members! Hypocrisy and thievery in high places. The EFCC should just do a thorough job of cleaning the Augen stable in Benue government house; from Geroge Akume's time till now.

Please, when is Buratai, the saver-in-chief, appearing before the EFCC?

Get your facts right, the Gov. Is APC and most of the Reps might be APC members too

Re: N750m Car Scam: Ortom Lauds EFCC Over Arrest Of Benue Speaker, 14 Lawmakers by Nobody: 5:17am On Jul 01, 2016
sad this looting is too much
Re: N750m Car Scam: Ortom Lauds EFCC Over Arrest Of Benue Speaker, 14 Lawmakers by agarawu23(m): 5:18am On Jul 01, 2016
Hian
Re: N750m Car Scam: Ortom Lauds EFCC Over Arrest Of Benue Speaker, 14 Lawmakers by BossKratos: 7:13am On Jul 01, 2016

Ah!

Efcc.... abole!
Re: N750m Car Scam: Ortom Lauds EFCC Over Arrest Of Benue Speaker, 14 Lawmakers by DIKEnaWAR: 7:30am On Jul 01, 2016
[quote author=checkolatunji post=47089248][/quote]

You said most of the House members might be APC and wen ahead to ask me to do my findings. That means you haven't done your finding before asking me to.

Bro, you are the one who needs to do a research.

Re: N750m Car Scam: Ortom Lauds EFCC Over Arrest Of Benue Speaker, 14 Lawmakers by Nobody: 7:34am On Jul 01, 2016
I know the speaker and the 17 members are not in good book of the governor.

Re: N750m Car Scam: Ortom Lauds EFCC Over Arrest Of Benue Speaker, 14 Lawmakers by dammytosh: 8:21am On Jul 01, 2016
Good Governor.

If it were to be some d1ck heads.

They will say FG want to destabilise their state.

Even after reading that some people have offered to return 300milion +

The Governor is APC

The speaker is APC.

In case your next mode na witch hunt mode

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: N750m Car Scam: Ortom Lauds EFCC Over Arrest Of Benue Speaker, 14 Lawmakers by Pyno30: 8:22am On Jul 01, 2016
Season of recovery.
Re: N750m Car Scam: Ortom Lauds EFCC Over Arrest Of Benue Speaker, 14 Lawmakers by love5599(f): 8:25am On Jul 01, 2016
seems like these EFCC guys are really doing their job

Re: N750m Car Scam: Ortom Lauds EFCC Over Arrest Of Benue Speaker, 14 Lawmakers by allanphash7(m): 8:25am On Jul 01, 2016
Attimes i ask myself if all this figures are real

Can Nigeria ever be great?

Re: N750m Car Scam: Ortom Lauds EFCC Over Arrest Of Benue Speaker, 14 Lawmakers by Okijajuju1(m): 8:25am On Jul 01, 2016
EFCC!!

Please president Buhari should increase their budget..

Corruption must be killed in this country.

Re: N750m Car Scam: Ortom Lauds EFCC Over Arrest Of Benue Speaker, 14 Lawmakers by Spells(m): 8:25am On Jul 01, 2016
Benue Makurdi
Re: N750m Car Scam: Ortom Lauds EFCC Over Arrest Of Benue Speaker, 14 Lawmakers by KINGinVAHALA: 8:28am On Jul 01, 2016
agarawu23:
Hian

What Mr man? lol! Are you from Benue?
Re: N750m Car Scam: Ortom Lauds EFCC Over Arrest Of Benue Speaker, 14 Lawmakers by folahann(m): 8:29am On Jul 01, 2016
Nigerians have problem. We'll never appreciate anything. We'll always find a way to condemn any news.
Re: N750m Car Scam: Ortom Lauds EFCC Over Arrest Of Benue Speaker, 14 Lawmakers by ALAYORMII: 8:30am On Jul 01, 2016
Mr Ortom, are you any better than the arrested crooks??
Re: N750m Car Scam: Ortom Lauds EFCC Over Arrest Of Benue Speaker, 14 Lawmakers by Begin(m): 8:32am On Jul 01, 2016
Pls oga investigate dem very well, they are all criminal n by d time ur own tenure self pass person self go investigate n like dat our country go beta

Re: N750m Car Scam: Ortom Lauds EFCC Over Arrest Of Benue Speaker, 14 Lawmakers by Reference(m): 8:32am On Jul 01, 2016
I thought someone said the EFCC doesn't do states, only Federal so how come it is doing Benue and will do Suswam but it cannot do Rivers and Amaechi. This thing is confusing.

Re: N750m Car Scam: Ortom Lauds EFCC Over Arrest Of Benue Speaker, 14 Lawmakers by miqos02(m): 8:33am On Jul 01, 2016
Re: N750m Car Scam: Ortom Lauds EFCC Over Arrest Of Benue Speaker, 14 Lawmakers by oviexcels(m): 8:34am On Jul 01, 2016
they have recovered so much money that the food on our table has seriously changed since the recovery started. abi watin dem dey recover the money for ?
Re: N750m Car Scam: Ortom Lauds EFCC Over Arrest Of Benue Speaker, 14 Lawmakers by Anyi3(m): 8:40am On Jul 01, 2016
Na so so thieves full all the house of reps and Senate in this country
Re: N750m Car Scam: Ortom Lauds EFCC Over Arrest Of Benue Speaker, 14 Lawmakers by FagsamPHP(m): 8:40am On Jul 01, 2016
k
Re: N750m Car Scam: Ortom Lauds EFCC Over Arrest Of Benue Speaker, 14 Lawmakers by Nobody: 8:40am On Jul 01, 2016
Re: N750m Car Scam: Ortom Lauds EFCC Over Arrest Of Benue Speaker, 14 Lawmakers by Firefire(m): 8:41am On Jul 01, 2016
Let me laugh. grin
Re: N750m Car Scam: Ortom Lauds EFCC Over Arrest Of Benue Speaker, 14 Lawmakers by focus7: 8:41am On Jul 01, 2016
This and other atrocities are what the legislators planning to be committing that is why they are agitating for immunity to cover house of assembly officials. On the other hand I guess this is an APC state, I expect Fayose and his crew to come out and defend their selective fight against corruption claim.

Re: N750m Car Scam: Ortom Lauds EFCC Over Arrest Of Benue Speaker, 14 Lawmakers by truthspeaks: 8:42am On Jul 01, 2016
Wow. so dis governor can actually do something abt those probably not in gud terms wit him but dis is d same who still can't do anythn wenever fulani herdsmen attack his ppl. now he holds a meeting wit buhari cos u want to deploy federal machinery in arrestin erring lawmakers. EFCC una weldone, wen will u investigate Saint Buratai. Buhari sef

Re: N750m Car Scam: Ortom Lauds EFCC Over Arrest Of Benue Speaker, 14 Lawmakers by GoldenJAT(m): 8:42am On Jul 01, 2016
750m for just cars?? lemme c who come here and shout Buhari's name

Re: N750m Car Scam: Ortom Lauds EFCC Over Arrest Of Benue Speaker, 14 Lawmakers by coldsummer: 8:46am On Jul 01, 2016
Why haven't they started investigating governor Ortom himself.

What did he do with the bail out funds

5 months and counting and he hasn't payed salaries

Why isn't he being investigated.

We recently learnt that the fact that you have immunity doesn't stop you from being investigated.

2019: Crowd Of Youths March For Ambode’s Re-Election (Photo) / Igbos Will Declare Support For Buhari In 2019 – Senator Sodangi / Onnoghen: How Osinbajo Confirmed Buhari Not In Charge Of Govt – Fayose