Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,478 members, 7,836,886 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:03 PM

.. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / .. (881 Views)

9mobile's Poor Network Is Gradually Being Resolved In Some Areas / Improved 3G Speed With Your Airtel 2G Data (confirmed) / NTEL Coverage Areas In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

.. by MightyPee: 3:57pm On Jul 03, 2016
Re: .. by tomquest: 4:53pm On Jul 03, 2016
MightyPee:
I am here to learn why the rural areas or densely populated areas in Nigeria don't get 3G or above only 2G? even when some big towns or some city sides are left out.

The reason has to do with economics. These 3G and 4G facilities cost a whole lot, so the gsm companies are doing it in batches, one after the other, beginning from areas with the highest economic/commercial potential to the least. Remember that the sole purpose of any company is to make profit; they don't have to burn their financial fingers by trying to satisfy all subscribers at the same time.

2 Likes

Re: .. by MightyPee: 6:26pm On Jul 03, 2016
tomquest:

The reason has to do with economics. These 3G and 4G facilities cost a whole lot, so the gsm companies are doing it in batches, one after the other, beginning from areas with the highest economic/commercial potential to the least. Remember that the sole purpose of any company is to make profit; they don't have to burn their financial fingers by trying to satisfy all subscribers at the same time.

hmm, so you mean to say if this facilities are in rural areas there wouldn't be gain in return? nowadays our browsing needs to connect faster than before like the days of Java phones, I think no matter the cost there should be 3G on (*at least 89%) their mast, like the ones installed without 8t should be upgraded. this 2G is becoming too slow to like, I can't open some apps like instagram, play store, snap chat, et al. when in my home town, but what do I know? like I said, I am here to learn.
Re: .. by tomquest: 7:10pm On Jul 03, 2016
MightyPee:

hmm, so you mean to say if this facilities are in rural areas there wouldn't be gain in return? nowadays our browsing needs to connect faster than before like the days of Java phones, I think no matter the cost there should be 3G on (*at least 89%) their mast, like the ones installed without 8t should be upgraded. this 2G is becoming too slow to like, I can't open some apps like instagram, play store, snap chat, et al. when in my home town, but what do I know? like I said, I am here to learn.

One word: economics.
Re: .. by MightyPee: 7:57pm On Jul 03, 2016
tomquest:

One word: economics.
hmm, ok.

Cc Lalasticlala, Seun.
I need to learn something new.
Re: .. by sheunsheun(m): 8:20pm On Jul 03, 2016
What are the characteristics of a rural area? Go back to your primary school textbooks, u need to learn more
Re: .. by Noneroone(m): 8:31pm On Jul 03, 2016
You wrote all this without mentioning the network in question. Networks check number of subscribers before embarking on such economic ventures networks like glo will likely upgrade to 3g in SW where it is more popular and Mtn will likely do that fast in the east.
Re: .. by Nobody: 9:04pm On Jul 03, 2016
Op, rural areas or densely populated? They are not the same. Rural areas cannot be densley populated and that is why u will hardly find 3g in rural areas. The sole purpose of business is to make profit. When u install 3g in rural areas that are sparsely populated, who will use it? The main focus has to be areas with high economic values. I have one question for u.. if u are a businessman, can u open a big shopping mall like shoprite in a rural area? Can u have a world class cinema in a rural area? Can u open an amusement park in a rural area?

On another note, Onitsha is not a rural area and I'm pretty sure some network providers have 3g. It is not just Onitsha,sometimes even in computer village Lagos I lose 3g on my Mtn while etisalat has no problems. So it depends on the network.

(1) (Reply)

/ Here's A 24K Gold-plated Iphone 7 / Price Of Brand New Boom J8 In Slot Or Paylay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.