Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,038 members, 7,825,287 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 10:51 AM

Why I Am Not A Feminist. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why I Am Not A Feminist. (1168 Views)

Are You Mad? I Am A Feminist; There Is No F***ing Coming Revolution / We Should All Be Feminist / Why Am I A Feminist? Double Standards!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Am Not A Feminist. by Speeechless3(f): 8:28am On Jul 04, 2016
There is just this thing which comes up...correction it doesn't just come up but I think my generation grew up into it...more like became aware of it. Some are repelled by it for whatever reason(s),some have embraced it with the whole fibre of their beings for reason(s) which they honestly believe in...some are on the fence too for some reasons or maybe just indecision has kept them there. For me,...oh well, maybe when I am done, you can help me define my stance but first I have a story...
Some months ago,a notable legal personality cum scholar came to lecture us on a particular topic which he has an expertise in. The class was filled up, believe me, that course gives more than half of us the bejeezus so I guess my classmates were as curious as I was to meet the man who was a guru at it. He came but with a group of people who at introduction were all legal practitioners. They were all men with just one lady. They were all given a seat in front of the class while the legal guru rendered his superb lecture. By the way, that was the most interesting land law lecture of my life. I listened to him speak and I also watched the rest keenly. Some of them were interested and enjoyed it too like some of us but some were bored and were trying to wait out the lecture, none looked as bored as the lady while she crossed her legs and chewed her gum very decently( rare skill I assure you). My lecturer was in the bid to bring the lecture to a grand close, then one of the rest indicated an interest to talk to us. As we discovered, He was a Lion and President of a Customary Court of Appeal;his dress sense and speech skills were impeccable, I was impressed. After his charge, the meeting was brought to a close and we all dispersed. As I was heading back to my hostel, one of my course mates caught up with me and asked me after pleasantries whether I felt the woman was (marginalized or discriminated against, I can't remember his exact diction). I laughed then told me that I didn't because she didn't have any interest to talk to us and if she did, she didn't show it and I knew no one there was a mind reader. I brought to his remembrance the President who indicated interest and was given a chance. He smiled, gave me a look and walked on. I didn't give the issue more thinking time then.
That's the end of my story but you see pals, the concept I have been trying to shape my words around since up there is feminism. My real encounter with this concept was in 200level with the study of Children, Women and the Law. My mind was opened to information, facts, issues and so much more about this concept, some genuine and some ridiculous in my opinion. It made me seek counsel both scholarly, spiritually and some -ally ways I cannot define.
I discovered that I don't want to be a feminist not because I don't want to believe in women and their ability to deliver at responsibilities but simply because I realized that the word 'feminism' does not have an "in rem" definition. It then means if I say I am one, what is in my mind may not match what is in yours and no way I am going to let what I don't know define me.(Aside: also because many man-haters are using the concept as a cloak)
So I decided that I am an ardent believer of give honour to whom honour is due, gender notwithstanding. If the skirt can do it better than the trousers, she should not be sidelined simply because she is the skirt. She should be allowed to achieve her dreams and goals. She should be allowed to compete with the male for things which God in Heaven has not forbidden her to compete for and not be intimidated simply because she is female. If she wants to climb a tree, allow her to, I believe she's counted the cost of climbing a tree. I decided that I am against subduing and oppressing of women simply because they are women and they 'cannot do anything'.
When it comes to the divine aspect, on the authority of the Bible, I believe that men and women are created equal but their duties and responsibilities are different. Check out the curses of Adam and Eve. God has made them both different and none inferior to each other but each to complement and supplement each other in view of achieving one goal.
Then,to my fellow ladies, woman is the love child of God Almighty. It was only before making her that God admitted that something was not good in His own paradise. The favorite of a parent can never be sidelined even if he or she is the youngest. Always seek out, work towards and stand in God's will for your life and no man or woman will be able to topple you. You remember that bae in the bible called Deborah...
Another thing I discovered is that this concept is a Changeling and in my suggestion has to be applied like the mischief rule. What I am saying in essence is that objectivity should be made a main focus while dealing with any real or seeming issue of feminine discrimination.
Again I discovered that no matter how much we protest, shriek and stamp our dainty little feets, some deepseated customs can never change. My grandpa will never let me go get the yam from his barn and would prefer Ekene my toddler nephew to go get it. You think I should barge into the barn like a heroine and get the yam to show him? Lol, no way. Here, the battle is won in the mind. You are not inferior to the male simply because custom says so. Grandpa has his way but my mind gets my say...believe me,that's all that matters...

-A friend

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Am Not A Feminist. by Speeechless3(f): 8:31am On Jul 04, 2016
LuveU2 Falconey Lalasticlala
Re: Why I Am Not A Feminist. by LuveU2(f): 8:48am On Jul 04, 2016
Speeechless3:
Thanks for this piece baby kiss
Re: Why I Am Not A Feminist. by Speeechless3(f): 8:54am On Jul 04, 2016
LuveU2:
Thanks for this piece baby kiss
Its in the romance sec now wink
Re: Why I Am Not A Feminist. by falconey(m): 9:00am On Jul 04, 2016
captivating
Re: Why I Am Not A Feminist. by Peritus(m): 3:46pm On Jul 06, 2016
Nice one. The problem with some women is that they blame men for their own weaknesses and inability to go for their right. This is why you hear more about affirmative action than a level playground. In Nigeria for instance, apart from some phallocentric cultures with some repugnant practices (most of which are defunct), women are more favoured and protected socially and under our laws.
Re: Why I Am Not A Feminist. by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jul 06, 2016
Nice piece.

Am for equal rights of property, including inheritance and humane treatment which is the main problem in Africa. But there is a European/American brand of extreme feminism that includes ridiculous things like female gods, homosexuality and very pointless and petty pursuits that make feminism a word that many people struggle with.

1 Like

Re: Why I Am Not A Feminist. by GODWINGODSON(m): 12:34am On Jul 24, 2016
Speeechless3:
Nice piece sis am trying very hard to lie to myself that I like ur beauty more than ur brains

2 Likes

Re: Why I Am Not A Feminist. by JuanDeDios: 6:26pm On Nov 27, 2016
Speeechless3:
There is just this thing which comes up...correction it doesn't just come up but I think my generation grew up into it...more like became aware of it. Some are repelled by it for whatever reason(s),some have embraced it with the whole fibre of their beings for reason(s) which they honestly believe in...some are on the fence too for some reasons or maybe just indecision has kept them there. For me,...oh well, maybe when I am done, you can help me define my stance but first I have a story...
Some months ago,a notable legal personality cum scholar came to lecture us on a particular topic which he has an expertise in. The class was filled up, believe me, that course gives more than half of us the bejeezus so I guess my classmates were as curious as I was to meet the man who was a guru at it. He came but with a group of people who at introduction were all legal practitioners. They were all men with just one lady. They were all given a seat in front of the class while the legal guru rendered his superb lecture. By the way, that was the most interesting land law lecture of my life. I listened to him speak and I also watched the rest keenly. Some of them were interested and enjoyed it too like some of us but some were bored and were trying to wait out the lecture, none looked as bored as the lady while she crossed her legs and chewed her gum very decently( rare skill I assure you). My lecturer was in the bid to bring the lecture to a grand close, then one of the rest indicated an interest to talk to us. As we discovered, He was a Lion and President of a Customary Court of Appeal;his dress sense and speech skills were impeccable, I was impressed. After his charge, the meeting was brought to a close and we all dispersed. As I was heading back to my hostel, one of my course mates caught up with me and asked me after pleasantries whether I felt the woman was (marginalized or discriminated against, I can't remember his exact diction). I laughed then told me that I didn't because she didn't have any interest to talk to us and if she did, she didn't show it and I knew no one there was a mind reader. I brought to his remembrance the President who indicated interest and was given a chance. He smiled, gave me a look and walked on. I didn't give the issue more thinking time then.
That's the end of my story but you see pals, the concept I have been trying to shape my words around since up there is feminism. My real encounter with this concept was in 200level with the study of Children, Women and the Law. My mind was opened to information, facts, issues and so much more about this concept, some genuine and some ridiculous in my opinion. It made me seek counsel both scholarly, spiritually and some -ally ways I cannot define.
I discovered that I don't want to be a feminist not because I don't want to believe in women and their ability to deliver at responsibilities but simply because I realized that the word 'feminism' does not have an "in rem" definition. It then means if I say I am one, what is in my mind may not match what is in yours and no way I am going to let what I don't know define me.(Aside: also because many man-haters are using the concept as a cloak)
So I decided that I am an ardent believer of give honour to whom honour is due, gender notwithstanding. If the skirt can do it better than the trousers, she should not be sidelined simply because she is the skirt. She should be allowed to achieve her dreams and goals. She should be allowed to compete with the male for things which God in Heaven has not forbidden her to compete for and not be intimidated simply because she is female. If she wants to climb a tree, allow her to, I believe she's counted the cost of climbing a tree. I decided that I am against subduing and oppressing of women simply because they are women and they 'cannot do anything'.
When it comes to the divine aspect, on the authority of the Bible, I believe that men and women are created equal but their duties and responsibilities are different. Check out the curses of Adam and Eve. God has made them both different and none inferior to each other but each to complement and supplement each other in view of achieving one goal.
Then,to my fellow ladies, woman is the love child of God Almighty. It was only before making her that God admitted that something was not good in His own paradise. The favorite of a parent can never be sidelined even if he or she is the youngest. Always seek out, work towards and stand in God's will for your life and no man or woman will be able to topple you. You remember that bae in the bible called Deborah...
Another thing I discovered is that this concept is a Changeling and in my suggestion has to be applied like the mischief rule. What I am saying in essence is that objectivity should be made a main focus while dealing with any real or seeming issue of feminine discrimination.
Again I discovered that no matter how much we protest, shriek and stamp our dainty little feets, some deepseated customs can never change. My grandpa will never let me go get the yam from his barn and would prefer Ekene my toddler nephew to go get it. You think I should barge into the barn like a heroine and get the yam to show him? Lol, no way. Here, the battle is won in the mind. You are not inferior to the male simply because custom says so. Grandpa has his way but my mind gets my say...believe me,that's all that matters...

-A friend
Interesting. You're very intelligent! I like your analysis and use of metaphors.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Am Not A Feminist. by JuanDeDios: 6:27pm On Nov 27, 2016
Speeechless3:
There is just this thing which comes up...correction it doesn't just come up but I think my generation grew up into it...more like became aware of it. Some are repelled by it for whatever reason(s),some have embraced it with the whole fibre of their beings for reason(s) which they honestly believe in...some are on the fence too for some reasons or maybe just indecision has kept them there....
Interesting piece. You're very intelligent! I like your analysis and use of metaphors.

(1) (Reply)

List Of Traditional Rulers And Communities In Anambra State / Difference Between Ikwerre And Igbo Language / Owonrin: The Scientific Nature Of Yoruba Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.