Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,055 members, 7,835,573 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:57 AM

Thamesmead Is The Uk's Fraud Capital - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Thamesmead Is The Uk's Fraud Capital (4929 Views)

Oluwadamilare Baiyewu, Nigerian Rapist Jailed For 24 Years In The UK / Credit-Card Fraud: 32 People With Nigerians Arrested / Nigerian Arrested In The UK For Unprovoked Attack On Teenage Girl (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thamesmead Is The Uk's Fraud Capital by eldee(m): 12:19am On Sep 08, 2009
LONDON is Britain’s credit card fraud capital with gangs of scammers fleecing millions using stolen details, a study reveals.

In parts of Thamesmead £1 in every £3 spent online is fraudulent, making the region Britain's, and Europe’s, fraud hotspot.

Financial crime in the south-east London area is so prolific that it is known as “Little Lagos”, said a police source.

It is popular with West African gangs who steal bank letters from communal letterboxes in the region’s many high rise tower blocks. These details are used to apply for credit cards in the unwitting victim’s name. The crooks then buy as much as they can with the cards before they are cancelled.

The police source said: “Thamesmead is rife with credit card fraud. The gangs ship their own people here, putting them up in houses to create a network trading in card details and fraudulently buying expensive goods.”

A former fraudster said: “I used to hear people say if you go to Thamesmead for anything you want, you will find it.”

Other parts of the capital are also among the country's worst hit spots for fraud. In East Finsbury, near the City, £1 in £5 spent online is fraudulent, while £1 in £6 is fleeced in High Barnet.

Andrew Goodwill, director of fraud prevention experts The 3rd Man Group, which released the figures, said: “Small companies are hit hard by the losses, which can easily ruin them.

Goodwill said: “It is retailers who lose out because they have to refund the credit card companies. It is so bad in some areas that retailers will try to contact the card holder, and if they can’t then the order will be cancelled.

“Fraud will keep rising because it is not a police priority. The consumer only suffers inconvenience, so they are not interested at analysing our figures which could pinpoint the addresses being used for fraud.”

Across Britain it is estimated that more than £500m is lost to fraudsters each year – around £1,000 a minute.

Other scammers have been known to bribe call centre sales staff to record the details of buying customers and pay bar staff to clone cards. Many still find success with ‘phishing’ techniques, where they call or email potential victims and ask for financial details, pretending to be from reputable companies.

http://www.thelondonpaper.com/thelondonpaper/news/london/thamesmead-is-londons-fraud-hotspot
Re: Thamesmead Is The Uk's Fraud Capital by Sauron1: 12:25am On Sep 08, 2009
eldee:

LONDON is Britain’s credit card fraud capital with gangs of scammers fleecing millions using stolen details, a study reveals.

In parts of Thamesmead £1 in every £3 spent online is fraudulent, making the region Britain's, and Europe’s, fraud hotspot.

Financial crime in the south-east London area is so prolific that it is known as “Little Lagos”, said a police source.

It is popular with West African gangs who steal bank letters from communal letterboxes in the region’s many high rise tower blocks. These details are used to apply for credit cards in the unwitting victim’s name. The crooks then buy as much as they can with the cards before they are cancelled.

The police source said: “Thamesmead is rife with credit card fraud. The gangs ship their own people here, putting them up in houses to create a network trading in card details and fraudulently buying expensive goods.”

A former fraudster said: “I used to hear people say if you go to Thamesmead for anything you want, you will find it.”

Other parts of the capital are also among the country's worst hit spots for fraud. In East Finsbury, near the City, £1 in £5 spent online is fraudulent, while £1 in £6 is fleeced in High Barnet.

Andrew Goodwill, director of fraud prevention experts The 3rd Man Group, which released the figures, said: “Small companies are hit hard by the losses, which can easily ruin them.

Goodwill said: “It is retailers who lose out because they have to refund the credit card companies. It is so bad in some areas that retailers will try to contact the card holder, and if they can’t then the order will be cancelled.

“Fraud will keep rising because it is not a police priority. The consumer only suffers inconvenience, so they are not interested at analysing our figures which could pinpoint the addresses being used for fraud.”

Across Britain it is estimated that more than £500m is lost to fraudsters each year – around £1,000 a minute.

Other scammers have been known to bribe call centre sales staff to record the details of buying customers and pay bar staff to clone cards. Many still find success with ‘phishing’ techniques, where they call or email potential victims and ask for financial details, pretending to be from reputable companies.

http://www.thelondonpaper.com/thelondonpaper/news/london/thamesmead-is-londons-fraud-hotspot

Thamesmead boys like Chamotex and SLY will be gunning for your head.
Re: Thamesmead Is The Uk's Fraud Capital by TOPE20001(f): 12:26am On Sep 08, 2009
Im not suprised . . . . . i cant date any guy from that area grin
Re: Thamesmead Is The Uk's Fraud Capital by Sauron1: 12:29am On Sep 08, 2009
TOPE2000!:

Na lie jor. . . . . . .
They shag the fynest babes in London.
With the whips, cribs, bling-bling and raw cash. . . . . .What else?
Re: Thamesmead Is The Uk's Fraud Capital by TOPE20001(f): 12:31am On Sep 08, 2009
~Sauron~:

Na lie jor. . . . . . .
They shag the fynest babes in London.
With the whips, cribs, bling-bling and raw cash. . . . . .What else?

Maybe they do undecided but only because of what they have im sure
But there are too RAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ for my liking
and NO, i dont want OLE as hubby tongue
Re: Thamesmead Is The Uk's Fraud Capital by eldee(m): 12:31am On Sep 08, 2009
TOPE2000!:

Sharrap dia, we know how you prefer away matches grin grin

~Sauron~:

Thamesmead boys like Chamotex and SLY will be gunning for your head.
Chamotex and Sly??
Mrcrackles lives there too . . . ever wondered why he spends so much money in em West End clubs?? cheesy
Re: Thamesmead Is The Uk's Fraud Capital by Sauron1: 12:33am On Sep 08, 2009
But this report na wa o.
How do they pass credit checks n stuffs?
Wait a minute. . . . . .Whatz the post code of Thamesmead. . . .
I wanna check something!!!
Re: Thamesmead Is The Uk's Fraud Capital by TOPE20001(f): 12:35am On Sep 08, 2009
eldee:

Sharrap dia, we know how you prefer away matches grin grin

Lol . . . . .if u dnt live in the city
i aint looking at u twice. wink cool
Re: Thamesmead Is The Uk's Fraud Capital by eldee(m): 12:36am On Sep 08, 2009
London’s top 10 credit card fraud hotspots:
(% of money spent detected as fraud)

DA17 (Erith Marshes & East Thamesmead) 34%

SE28 (Thamesmead) 26.3%

SE2 (Crossness, South Thamesmead) 24.4%

EC1V (East Finsbury) 20%

EN5 (High Barnet) 16.3%

EC1R (Finsbury & Clerkenwell) 16.3%

RM19 (Purfleet) 16.3%

RM10 (Dagenham) 16.2%

SE18 (Woolwich) 15.7%

DA8 (Erith) 15.3%

Re: Thamesmead Is The Uk's Fraud Capital by TOPE20001(f): 12:37am On Sep 08, 2009
eldee:

SE28 (Thamesmead) 26.3%

EC1V (East Finsbury) 20%

EN5 (High Barnet) 16.3%

RM19 (Purfleet) 16.3%

RM10 (Dagenham) 16.2%

SE18 (Woolwich) 15.7%

DA8 (Erith) 15.3%

We must admit, naija people full this area.
im ashamed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Thamesmead Is The Uk's Fraud Capital by Sauron1: 12:40am On Sep 08, 2009
eldee:

SE28 (Thamesmead) 26.3%

EC1V (East Finsbury) 20%

EN5 (High Barnet) 16.3%

RM19 (Purfleet) 16.3%

RM10 (Dagenham) 16.2%

SE18 (Woolwich) 15.7%

DA8 (Erith) 15.3%

SE28 has 76% UNEMPLOYMENT. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Thamesmead Is The Uk's Fraud Capital by eldee(m): 12:40am On Sep 08, 2009
~Sauron~:

But this report na wa o.
How do they pass credit checks n stuffs?
Wait a minute. . . . . .Whatz the post code of Thamesmead. . . .
I wanna check something!!!
Nigerians dey always Bleep up
At least four of those ten areas are places where the population is about 50% African undecided undecided
Re: Thamesmead Is The Uk's Fraud Capital by TOPE20001(f): 12:41am On Sep 08, 2009
~Sauron~:

SE28 has 76% UNEMPLOYMENT. grin grin grin grin grin

How do u know? grin
Re: Thamesmead Is The Uk's Fraud Capital by eldee(m): 12:42am On Sep 08, 2009
TOPE2000!:

We must admit, naija people full this area.
im ashamed embarassed embarassed embarassed

In the article they said Thamesmead is usually called 'Little Lagos' cheesy cheesy
Re: Thamesmead Is The Uk's Fraud Capital by Sauron1: 12:44am On Sep 08, 2009
TOPE2000!:

How do u know? grin

What's your postcode? I will give you a comprehensive analysis about your neighbours.
Re: Thamesmead Is The Uk's Fraud Capital by TOPE20001(f): 12:48am On Sep 08, 2009
eldee:

In the article they said Thamesmead is usually called 'Little Lagos' cheesy cheesy

Imagine!!!!

I remember one incident i heard from my sis, There was a break-in at one of their neighbour's flat so they called the police and they told the police that they suspect the nigerian living across, so the police asked them what was stolen they said jewelries . . . . .Police told them mba nigerians dnt steal stuffs like that if u say ur credit card was stolen then yeah maybe we wud search their house grin cheesy grin can u imagine embarassed
Re: Thamesmead Is The Uk's Fraud Capital by Sauron1: 12:49am On Sep 08, 2009
TOPE2000!:

Imagine!!!!

I remember one incident i heard from my sis, There was a break-in at one of their neighbour's flat so they called the police and they told the police that they suspect the nigerian living across, so the police asked them what was stolen they said jewelries . . . . .Police told them mba nigerians dnt steal stuffs like that if u say your credit card was stolen then yeah maybe we wud search their house grin cheesy grin can u imagine embarassed

Chineke Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Thamesmead Is The Uk's Fraud Capital by TOPE20001(f): 12:51am On Sep 08, 2009
~Sauron~:

Chineke Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was just speechless, i swear grin

they nigerian are too arrogant, they wont steal jewelries grin
Re: Thamesmead Is The Uk's Fraud Capital by eldee(m): 12:53am On Sep 08, 2009
TOPE2000!:

Imagine!!!!

I remember one incident i heard from my sis, There was a break-in at one of their neighbour's flat so they called the police and they told the police that they suspect the nigerian living across, so the police asked them what was stolen they said jewelries . . . . .Police told them mba nigerians dnt steal stuffs like that if u say your credit card was stolen then yeah maybe we wud search their house grin cheesy grin can u imagine embarassed

grin grin grin grin grin grin

I'm wondering why Woolwich is not on that list.
I wanted to get some M.I tickets, they told me to go to a restaurant in Woolwich to get em.
You need to see the shock on my mates' faces when i told them i wanted to go get em, it was almost like they heard 'I'm going to defend my contry in Pakistan' grin grin
Re: Thamesmead Is The Uk's Fraud Capital by TOPE20001(f): 12:54am On Sep 08, 2009
eldee:

I wanted to get some M.I tickets, they told me to go to a restaurant in Woolwich to get em.
You need to see the shock on my mates' faces when i told them i wanted to go get em, it was almost like they heard 'I'm going to defend my contry in Pakistan' grin grin

Rofl grin grin grin grin
Re: Thamesmead Is The Uk's Fraud Capital by TheSly: 1:05am On Sep 08, 2009
eldee and Sauron. . . . . Ori eyin mejeji ko pe. tongue

Thamesmead is better than Peckham where you both resides. tongue
Re: Thamesmead Is The Uk's Fraud Capital by chic2pimp(m): 1:15am On Sep 08, 2009
eldee:

It is popular with West African gangs who steal bank letters from communal letterboxes in the region’s many high rise tower blocks. These details are used to apply for credit cards in the unwitting victim’s name.
Hehehe grin grin grin grin grin  Na who dis pc bigrade dudes wan try fool. West african ko , east african ni. Na naija jare.
eldee:

SE28 (Thamesmead) 26.3%

EC1V (East Finsbury) 20%

EN5 (High Barnet) 16.3%

RM19 (Purfleet) 16.3%

RM10 (Dagenham) 16.2%

SE18 (Woolwich) 15.7%

DA8 (Erith) 15.3%

This spots have one thing in common. They are full of naija Immigrants. Kai disgraceful.
TOPE2000!:

Imagine!!!!

eldee:

Hypertension go kill me 2day for NL oooo. Chei *shakes his head in pity* See ya lives ehn naija people. So una get this level of notoriety grin grin grin grin grin grin grin.
Re: Thamesmead Is The Uk's Fraud Capital by blackspade(m): 1:20am On Sep 08, 2009
I thought Peckham was Little Lagos? or was it Yorubatown? I'm confused.
Re: Thamesmead Is The Uk's Fraud Capital by eldee(m): 1:25am On Sep 08, 2009
The Sly:

How long have I been begging you to leave SE London??
No phone contract, no NHS registration, no internet, all because of credit history on that your house.

Leave Thamesmead let's show you the light grin grin
Re: Thamesmead Is The Uk's Fraud Capital by eldee(m): 1:28am On Sep 08, 2009
chic2pimp:

Hehehe grin grin grin grin grin Na who dis pc bigrade dudes wan try fool. West african ko , east african ni. Na naija jare.This spots have one thing in common. They are full of naija Immigrants. Kai disgraceful. Hypertension go kill me 2day for NL oooo. Chei *shakes his head in pity* See ya lives ehn naija people. So una get this level of notoriety grin grin grin grin grin grin grin.

This is a major West African problem, let's not blame our honest country for the atrocious behavior of these people. grin grin grin

Those Gambians and Liberians will never learn, they continue to drag or name in the mud
Re: Thamesmead Is The Uk's Fraud Capital by Sauron1: 12:16pm On Sep 08, 2009
The Sly:

I have a smart flat for you in Fulham area.
Leave Thamesmead now. . . . .Your credit score in that area is a negative integer.
SLY, can your name cop a phone contract with 3 network? grin grin grin grin
Re: Thamesmead Is The Uk's Fraud Capital by thameamead(f): 12:57pm On Sep 08, 2009
it's true, the fraud department of the metropolitan police refer to Thamesmead as little lagos, wow
Re: Thamesmead Is The Uk's Fraud Capital by Sauron1: 12:59pm On Sep 08, 2009
thameamead:

it's true, the fraud department of the metropolitan police refer to Thamesmead as little lagos, wow

Do u stay in Thamesmead?
Re: Thamesmead Is The Uk's Fraud Capital by zmurda(m): 1:13pm On Sep 08, 2009
same thing Houston. You get stopped sometime by the Police for nothing but the car you drive when they see you look black (as opposed to Afro American) and you drive a fly car. they got the feeling you must be making some money by the side illegally

its annoying and shameful at the same time

can't we just not be fraudulent (question is rhetorical - its a reflection of our f**ked up Dear Country and thieving leadership!)
Re: Thamesmead Is The Uk's Fraud Capital by thameamead(f): 1:16pm On Sep 08, 2009
i remember seeing a news story on BBC and Channel 4 about y there was over 100 empty new flats @ in Thamesmead, Pourtsmouth and manchester, apparently its was bought by nigeria's thr motgage fraud and when the bank found out 2 yrs later they kincked out all the poor tenants that had no idea they had bn dupes by their landlords,
Congolese and zaire people do fraud, but they are into solasola (family tax credits), nigerians r known for fraud in these country, its' disgusting when con old people by , yahoo boys are so callous, they don't give a shit about any1, they would con sick, old , disabled, y can't they con the city types or those with enough money to burn,
the police r getting tough, last wk my  friend's boyfriend used a stolen credit card to order 3 laptops and a 1 flat screen tv, just as she was signing 4 it, she was arrested by d police, d delivery guy was acutually an under police officer, her boyfriend was in d bath, they were both arrested, people need 2 take extra care when doing their runs,
Re: Thamesmead Is The Uk's Fraud Capital by Sauron1: 1:19pm On Sep 08, 2009
thameamead:

the police r getting tough, last wk my  friend's boyfriend used a stolen credit card to order 3 laptops and a 1 flat screen tv, just as she was signing 4 it, she was arrested by d police, d delivery guy was acutually an under police officer, her boyfriend was in d bath, they were both arrested, people need 2 take extra care when doing their runs,

Delivery man was an undercover? grin grin grin grin grin grin
Thatz so hilarious!!!!
Re: Thamesmead Is The Uk's Fraud Capital by Basildon1(m): 1:25pm On Sep 08, 2009
Thamesmead, By Nigerian for nigerians, White babes know yoruba slangs - 'Ki lo n shele', Asian shop attendants drop yoruba lines - 'Alaroro',

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Please Help Me Find The Guy That Scammed Me. / Police Raid Suspected Baby Factory In Anambra / Auchi Poly Female Student Expelled From School [see Reasons]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.