Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,305 members, 7,836,330 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:03 AM

Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You (9470 Views)

The Top 10 Contemporary African Writers You Should Know / The Stories We Don't Get To Hear / In Response To "Dear African Writers, We Read; We Don't Just Read You" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by Talius(m): 10:32am On Jul 07, 2016
A very awesome write up. It bags the question: What next?
Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by emonkey(m): 10:55am On Jul 07, 2016
AnonymX:
Article source: http://www.nkenu.com/2016/07/dear-contemporary-african-writer-we.html

**Author - Chisom Nlebedum

Source: http://www.nkenu.com/2016/07/dear-contemporary-african-writer-we.html

Dear Chisom Nlebedum;
The problem is not with the authors. It will be also wrong to place the blame entirely on the publishers either. They are in business to make profit and if the publishers think they do not have the resources to profitably sell African writers in Africa, I am sure they know what the challenges are. I believe the greatest problem with making books available in Nigeria is distribution. This is unreliable, costs so much and quite defeats all the marketing that any publisher can do. In a place like UK for example, a publisher could send a parcel of books to a bookshop or even to a purchaser and be sure it will be received in a couple of days or so. In a place like Nigeria, the parcel may never get there and if it does it may no more be in usable condition. It is a formidable weakness in the bookselling chain and it cannot be easily mended.

For whatever it may be worth I do have some of (children's) books on iTunes . Please visit this link https://itunes.apple.com/us/author/rotimi-ogunjobi/id463570107?mt=11

And since it appears that you are a school teacher in Nigeria, they may also be ordered (not paid for) online from http://www.ambookpublishing.com

I am sure there are also a few on Okadabooks too.
Regards
PS : I don't literary contests ; I never have. I write for people to read, not for competition judges

1 Like

Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by bellville: 11:15am On Jul 07, 2016
bestestgirl:
hi, do you have 'the triumph of the water lily' by Ify Osammor and 'toads for supper'
Not at the moment but will help you source for it and pm you.
Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by Surfboard(m): 11:38am On Jul 07, 2016
AZeD1:

I strictly read African authors(more of Nigerian). If you are in Lagos, go to Terra Kulture.

Please give me the location, so I can locate the place whenever I'm in Lagos.
Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by vivaciousvivi(f): 12:35pm On Jul 07, 2016
I am a book lover and own an extensive hard and soft copy library. I did start with books like Pacesetters and others under the African readers library series.
In secondary school, while I was "mandated" to buy and study books from authors like Elechi Amadi, Eddie iroh etc, my love for foreign authors grew. I devoured Twain, Bronte, Tolstoy, Agatha Christie, Jane Austen, oliver Goldsmith, lewis carroll and dickens. Later graduated to Kellerman, Koontz, king, Forsyth, Ludlum, Robin cook etc. All of which I get (albeit Used) hardcopies as cheap as N150 and N300 depending on the author. Or softcopies free online.
Why would I now get an Adiche for the N3,500 or read an African novel whose storyline I just don't relate to?

1 Like

Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by veraiyke(m): 1:10pm On Jul 07, 2016
Move to FP please. I am a writer and poet. I have lots of poems and I also have a completed book, its a motivational work. I need suggestions on ways to publish it widely. How do I really market it? Bear in mind right now I cannot boast of finance though I have made enquiries on the printing and publishing of it in both nsukka, port harcourt and fct. Price generally ranges from 200k to 350k. Best advice and suggestions please. FP
Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by musicwriter(m): 1:41pm On Jul 07, 2016
AnonymX:
Article source: http://www.nkenu.com/2016/07/dear-contemporary-african-writer-we.html

**Author - Chisom Nlebedum

Source: http://www.nkenu.com/2016/07/dear-contemporary-african-writer-we.html

This's what I've been saying for ages!. I wish I knew the author of this article.

The problem is education in Africa itself is still part of slavery and colonialism. Education in Africa is a remnant of an instutition that was used to brainwash us to behave in a particular way just as the colonial masters want us to behave.

There's no power in our hands, even power to determine what is knowledge, what is not knowledge, what to read, what not to read. They must be European or American before its considered worthy to be called knowledge!. That's why we read foreign authors instead.

Education was designed by the colonialists to make us feel inferior, to villify anything African, to extol anything western. That's why we prefer anything foreign- even what we learn!.

African leaders, scholars, educationists a product of this same brainwashing education have no power to know what to do.

All we need do is re-invent education to create a system of education based on African philosophy, point of view, culture, history, e.t.c.

As at yet, the parameters as to what constitute knowledge is not in our hands. That's why we remain backward as a people. In fact, education is the last hudle we need to conquer in Africa to be truly free.

I need not say more here. The problem and the solution was fully discused in the link on my signature.

Indeed, intellectual slavery is the worst legacy of colonialism.
Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by AnonymX: 1:44pm On Jul 07, 2016
musicwriter:

This's what I've been saying for ages!.

I wish I knew the author of this article. The problem is education itself is still part of slavery and colonialism. The parameters as to what constitute knowledge is not in our hands. That's why. In fact, education is the last hudle we need to conquer in Africa to be free.

I need not say more here. The problem and the solution was fully discused in the link on my signature.

Indeed, intellectual slavery is the worst legacy of colonialism.

He writes for www.nkenu.com

Here: https://web.facebook.com/joseph.c.nlebedum
Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by Onegai(f): 3:59pm On Jul 07, 2016
Bellville, please state the discount that you are offerig to Nairalanders right here. Let's know what it is.

The words "a trial will convince you" has been so misused by Nigerians that I blank out once I read the line grin.

Also, why can't I find more Children's books of fairytales and folklore written by Africans? There were more when I was growing up. Where is a confident writer, who can do research and gather old stories from the villages from different parts of the country, get an artist to illustrate it and make it available?

I guess I may have to wait until another Lagos Book Fair happens this year.
Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by bellville: 4:44pm On Jul 07, 2016
Onegai:
Bellville, please state the discount that you are offerig to Nairalanders right here. Let's know what it is.

The words "a trial will convince you" has been so misused by Nigerians that I blank out once I read the line grin.

Also, why can't I find more Children's books of fairytales and folklore written by Africans? There were more when I was growing up. Where is a confident writer, who can do research and gather old stories from the villages from different parts of the country, get an artist to illustrate it and make it available?

I guess I may have to wait until another Lagos Book Fair happens this year.
I'm offering 15% discount on orders of at least 5 books. This offer does not apply to contemporary African literature as they are already being offered at publisher's recommended prices.
Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by Nobody: 5:01pm On Jul 07, 2016
bellville:
Not at the moment but will help you source for it and pm you.
Thank you sooo much. just the triumph of the water lily, I have found the other one. Thanks again
Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by Onegai(f): 5:08pm On Jul 07, 2016
bellville:
I'm offering 15% discount on orders of at least 5 books. This offer does not apply to contemporary African literature as they are already being offered at publisher's recommended prices.

I actually wrote a long reply about what you could do rather than this offer that would make an impact but then I thought "mehn..."

Anyway, thanks for the offer. Take care.
Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by weaklya: 8:46pm On Jul 07, 2016
True. But then, how many American children know John Updike or Kafka? I recently started blogging on wordpress and have a short story @ https://weaklyanonymous./2016/06/25/male-stereotypes/ i hope to be a writer sometime and i hope you appreciate the relevance of african writing; it's not just about fame
Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by PrettyClare7(f): 9:47pm On Jul 07, 2016
AZeD1:

Go to Terra Kulture if you are in Lagos. Her books are there.
thanks. I will do that as soon as I find myself in lagos
Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by PrettyClare7(f): 9:48pm On Jul 07, 2016
Orikinla:
Glendora Bookshops have all their books and even sold out my own "Bye, Bye Mugabe" before I decided to withdraw it and revised it with the modified title of "Bye, Bye Zimbabwe".
is Glendora in Lagos? thanks
Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by musicwriter(m): 10:09pm On Jul 07, 2016
AnonymX:
cc Lalasticlala Ishilove

UPDATE:

cc emonkey weaklya onegai bestestgirl bellville musicwriter surfboard

There's a new article in response to this one: http://www.nkenu.com/2016/07/in-response-to-dear-contemporary.html

Thanks for the link.

Just read it and honestly can tell you the responder isn't deep enough to discuss such topic. His only argument was that books by African writers are available in all platforms. Nothing was said about the curious questions raised by the original article, instead he dwelled on disagreeing that the books are not available online- which was just a suggestion by the original writer.

The question isn't whether books by African authors are available online or on other platforms, but; why are Africans not reading them?.

Even if the books are online and on other media as the responder said, but; why are Africans not reading them?. That's the question.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Victor Banjo: A Book By Deji Yesufu / Ikeogu Oke Wins 2017 Nlng Prize For Literature / Nairaland E-workshop For Writers---Comment Thread--Day1(Sept30)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.