Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,993 members, 7,821,469 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:24 PM

Gambia Bans Child Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Gambia Bans Child Marriage (494 Views)

My Shocking Experience About Child Marriage / Child Marriage Chart Reveals Girls Can Wed At 12 In Some Parts Of The US / Share The Awareness - The Deadly Consequences Of Child Marriage (pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Gambia Bans Child Marriage by nairalandbuzz(m): 12:00pm On Jul 08, 2016
In all of Africa, the president I love most after the late Quadaffi is the president of Gambia!

[size=15pt]Gambia bans child marriage[/size]

Gambia's President Yahya Jammeh has banned child marriages, the AFP news agency reports.

It reports that he announced the ban on Wednesday saying:

Anyone who marries a girl under 18 years will spend 20 years in jail. The girls' parents would spend 21 years in jail and anyone who knows about it and fails to report the matter to the authorities would spend 10 years in jail."

He also threatened a jail term for the imam involved in the wedding ceremony.

The president called for legislation to confirm the ban later this month.

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-africa-36685944 time-frame 11:00
Re: Gambia Bans Child Marriage by nairalandbuzz(m): 12:01pm On Jul 08, 2016
So the parents go even spend more time... that is what we call brutal!

Did I mention is a respected Muslim?
Re: Gambia Bans Child Marriage by Chazzyboy: 12:12pm On Jul 08, 2016
Good move

(1) (Reply)

Healthy Oven (cooks, Bakes, Fries, Toasts, BBQ Food To Perfection ) / The Most Popular Baby Names In Arizona 2016 / 10 Types Of Husband You Will Like To Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.