Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,814 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:31 AM

If Health Insurance Is So Cheap In Nigeria, Why Don't People Buy? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / If Health Insurance Is So Cheap In Nigeria, Why Don't People Buy? (1519 Views)

How To Register And Enjoy Oyo State's Health Insurance Scheme By Ajimobi / Anambra Lists 100 Hospitals For State Health Insurance Scheme / Should People Buy Used Goods? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Health Insurance Is So Cheap In Nigeria, Why Don't People Buy? by naijacutee(f): 1:13am On Jul 09, 2016
A friend had to do some research on health insurance and compared various health insurance providers. The data was so interesting, he swept it all into a blogpost.

My question: Based on the findings, it turns out that it costs under N20,000 per year to be insured in Nigeria. This means that major hospital bills can be paid for if people just commit to N20,000. Am I missing something here? Why isn't everyone getting health insurance? Why are people opting to pay N100,000 for admissions when this can al be taken care of by health insurance? Plus an insurer would be linked with reputable hospitals, so it is a cheap way of getting good healthcare for next to nothing. Why are people not "rushing" it? Am I missing something here?

If you're interested in the data/prices, here's the post: http://www.mrpepe.com/personal-finance/10-places-to-get-health-insurance-in-nigeria/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If Health Insurance Is So Cheap In Nigeria, Why Don't People Buy? by Nobody: 5:42am On Jul 09, 2016
The layman calls insurance "what if?" money. Car insurance most times doesn't make sense because you pay "what if?" money periodically for the vehicle only for nothing to happen during its duration with you. End of the day you've thrown away a portion of income you'd've used on better things.
With health insurance it's never a guarantee you'd fall ill and even with it in mind the total amount one'd pay maintaining the policy agreement overtime would make paying a one-time 100k admission fee pale in comparison.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: If Health Insurance Is So Cheap In Nigeria, Why Don't People Buy? by infogenius(m): 7:32am On Jul 09, 2016
Many Nigerians don't simply understand this insurance thing and really don't give it a think at all.
Re: If Health Insurance Is So Cheap In Nigeria, Why Don't People Buy? by naijacutee(f): 11:48am On Jul 09, 2016
I like your explanation, @charix. But people also "sow seed" in churches with no immediate (physical) benefits. How are people more ready to sow a seed at the compulsion of a preacher, and remain unwilling to sow a seed for healthcare for them and their families?

1 Like

Re: If Health Insurance Is So Cheap In Nigeria, Why Don't People Buy? by Emade(m): 12:15pm On Jul 09, 2016
I think trust is still the problem because Nigeria's like cheating one another

1 Like

Re: If Health Insurance Is So Cheap In Nigeria, Why Don't People Buy? by Nobody: 12:21pm On Jul 09, 2016
naijacutee:
I like your explanation, @charix. But people also "sow seed" in churches with no immediate (physical) benefits. How are people more ready to sow a seed at the compulsion of a preacher
People in general enjoy helping others. Don't forget the preacher most times reminds the congregation the money goes to charity. Couple the fact everybody wants to make heaven and sowing seeds is the cheapest method of reach to the common man on the street.

and remain unwilling to sow a seed for healthcare for them and their families?
A combination of my earlier post and ignorance on the part of people. I can count on one hand the amount of insurance advertisements I've come across on tv here, none of them give the slightest idea what insurance entails however during my stay outside the country I was bombarded with commercials upon commercials from insurance companies - most going into details of what type, how long and their benefits; many were a sentence or two away from defining what the word insurance meant to the layman. I guess the educational level and exposure of the common man plays a role.

2 Likes

Re: If Health Insurance Is So Cheap In Nigeria, Why Don't People Buy? by naijacutee(f): 12:18pm On Jul 10, 2016
@charix LOL. You make it sound as if people feel they can pay their way into heaven, but not into good healthcare.

I do understand your point though. I feel ignorance is probably the biggest obstacle.
Re: If Health Insurance Is So Cheap In Nigeria, Why Don't People Buy? by axamansard(f): 4:59pm On Jan 03, 2018
infogenius:
Many Nigerians don't simply understand this insurance thing and really don't give it a think at all.
True, Some Nigerians are skeptical about insurance as a whole, don't want to hear about it at all, let alone buy into it, I don't know how you can benefit from sth without having a knowledge of it. in this present economic dispensation, it is actually wise for every citizen to have all the necessary insurance policy with a reputable insurance company. it's that simple, transfer your risk at a token and enjoy peace of mind knowing the insurance is there to reinstate or replace to the position you were before any uncertainties, and if there is no uncertainty at the end of the policy term, give thanks to God and renew your policy for the next term, you sha enjoy peace of mind. grin grin
Re: If Health Insurance Is So Cheap In Nigeria, Why Don't People Buy? by Ukprosper: 8:41am On Oct 15, 2020
Actually, insurance should be encouraged at every sector of Nigeria's economy, public and private.
Take for instance, I am a medical personnel and I can say that insurance would greatly enhance health care delivery in Nigeria. It would be a long story, but health insurance would reduce the number of deaths due to lack of money for health care.
Health insurance in Nigeria also has its own challenges that has made it difficult for people to participate, even for other insurance policies like life, car, housing and mortgage, etc.

But for now, here is a complete list of insurance companies in Nigeria and their coverage.
Top among the list are AIICO, Leadway, AXA Mansard, Custodian and Allied, Cornerstone, etc

Complete List of Insurance Companies in Nigeria

(1) (Reply)

Remedy For Blocked Fallopian Tube / Does Ice water have effect on erection? / The Importance Of Getting Yearly Pap Smears

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.