Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,824 members, 7,817,407 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:44 AM

Sending Kids Born Abroad To Boarding School In Nigeria. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Sending Kids Born Abroad To Boarding School In Nigeria. (1357 Views)

When You Are Asked To Explain Your Experience In A Nigerian Boarding School / 13 Evils Of Boarding School, Why You Must Raise Your Children From Home / 10 Pictures You Will Relate To If You Ever Schooled In A Boarding School. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sending Kids Born Abroad To Boarding School In Nigeria. by bebe2(f): 1:29am On Jul 10, 2016
Good day ,

Just thinking aloud.

Is it ever OK to send kids born abroad to boarding school in Nigeria?

My brothers in America did this for all four of his kids, they all went to adesoye college . Second brother did same. Loyola jesuit.

Now am considering all options as my kids grow older.

What are different advantages and disadvantages of sending kids to boarding house as oppose to letting them stay in Europe and continue with their schooling
Re: Sending Kids Born Abroad To Boarding School In Nigeria. by Florblu(f): 1:59am On Jul 10, 2016
It is better for your kids to get corrupted "adorably"Most boarding houses in Nigeria are nothing to write home about.
Re: Sending Kids Born Abroad To Boarding School In Nigeria. by barackodam: 2:09am On Jul 10, 2016
bebe2:
Good day ,

Just thinking aloud.

My brothers in America did this for all four of his kids, they all went to adesoye college . Second brother did same. Loyola jesuit.

What are different advantages and disadvantages of sending kids to boarding house as oppose to letting them stay in Europe and continue with their schooling

Adesoye College Offa!!!!!!

The thing is, it doesn't necessarily have to be boarding school. It's more about sending them home to grow up in their land so as not to forget where they came from.

I had a classmate in senior school, his parents are based abroad he's living with his uncle in Nigeria, after sec skul, he went back to his parents abroad.

So, bring them home and let them learn about their father land and not be, "they said Nigeria is *****", or "I wish I know what Nigeria exactly is"

But at the same time, different strokes for different folks

smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sending Kids Born Abroad To Boarding School In Nigeria. by DucheSsMerezz(f): 3:36am On Jul 10, 2016
Re: Sending Kids Born Abroad To Boarding School In Nigeria. by Amoto94(m): 7:51am On Jul 10, 2016
I will advise you to send them to a good day school as the evil that's going on in most of our boarding schools are unspeakable, or better keep them over there and teach them manners yourself.
Re: Sending Kids Born Abroad To Boarding School In Nigeria. by bebe2(f): 10:08am On Jul 10, 2016
Florblu:
It is better for your kids to get corrupted "adorably"Most boarding houses in Nigeria are nothing to write home about.

Really?

Dats disappointing embarassed
Re: Sending Kids Born Abroad To Boarding School In Nigeria. by bebe2(f): 10:11am On Jul 10, 2016
Amoto94:
I will advise you to send them to a good day school as the evil that's going on in most of our boarding schools are unspeakable, or better keep them over there and teach them manners yourself.

Day school is not an option. There is no one they can stay with in Nigeria.

It's not necessarily about manners it's about culture and having a different experience.

Lol @"adorably corrupt"

1 Like

Re: Sending Kids Born Abroad To Boarding School In Nigeria. by bebe2(f): 10:12am On Jul 10, 2016
barackodam:

Adesoye College Offa!!!!!!

The thing is, it doesn't necessarily have to be boarding school. It's more about sending them home to grow up in their land so as not to forget where they came from.

I had a classmate in senior school, his parents are based abroad he's living with his uncle in Nigeria, after sec skul, he went back to his parents abroad.

So, bring them home and let them learn about their father land and not be, "they said Nigeria is *****", or "I wish I know what Nigeria exactly is"

But at the same time, different strokes for different folks

smiley

Dats Wat I wud like but there is no one they can stay with.
Re: Sending Kids Born Abroad To Boarding School In Nigeria. by barackodam: 10:30am On Jul 10, 2016
bebe2:

Dats Wat I wud like but there is no one they can stay with.

You mean you don't have any relatives you can bank on in Nigeria at all?

Then they shouldn't come if that should be the case....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sending Kids Born Abroad To Boarding School In Nigeria. by Amoto94(m): 11:43am On Jul 10, 2016
bebe2:

Day school is not an option. There is no one they can stay with in Nigeria.

It's not necessarily about manners it's about culture and having a different experience.

Lol @"adorably corrupt"
I will suggest Nigerian Turkish International College if you want to bring them home
Re: Sending Kids Born Abroad To Boarding School In Nigeria. by NL1960: 1:20pm On Jul 10, 2016
bebe2:
Good day ,

Just thinking aloud.

Iam sure many people here will tell you that you should not try it and that boarding schools are bad. Are the day schools not equally bad.

To me it is a good idea. You can have a talk with your brothers. If they were satisfied with the conduct of their kids after schooling in Nigeria, then you are good to go. My son told me that there are four(4) people in his JSS 1 set presently that came from abroad. Two(2) from US, One(1) each from Canada and UK. The problem with some of the boarding schools especially that of the Catholic schools is that they do not have common entrance centres outside the country.

1 Like

Re: Sending Kids Born Abroad To Boarding School In Nigeria. by bebe2(f): 3:48pm On Jul 10, 2016
NL1960:

Iam sure many people here will tell you that you should not try it and that boarding schools are bad. Are the day schools not equally bad.

To me it is a good idea. You can have a talk with your brothers. If they were satisfied with the conduct of their kids after schooling in Nigeria, then you are good to go. My son told me that there are four(4) people in his JSS 1 set presently that came from abroad. Two(2) from US, One(1) each from Canada and UK. The problem with some of the boarding schools especially that of the Catholic schools is that they do not have common entrance centres outside the country.

Yea.

My nieces and nephews that passed thru the stage seem to have done wellish smiley

The best thing I see in them is how free they are wen in Nigeria. They go out on their own and even drive in lagos. They are more Nigerian than me. My niece even attempted to fight one area boy that was asking us for money to get into the beach in lekki grin I was just begging and shaking like a leaf.

I def want to explore it.
Am hoping some schools have centres abroad where foreign students can take their exams

1 Like

Re: Sending Kids Born Abroad To Boarding School In Nigeria. by bebe2(f): 3:51pm On Jul 10, 2016
Amoto94:
I will suggest Nigerian Turkish International College if you want to bring them home
Some one was suggesting lead British international also hillside college gwarimpa.

Still checking sha
Re: Sending Kids Born Abroad To Boarding School In Nigeria. by bebe2(f): 3:52pm On Jul 10, 2016
barackodam:

You mean you don't have any relatives you can bank on in Nigeria at all?

Then they shouldn't come if that should be the case....
Re: Sending Kids Born Abroad To Boarding School In Nigeria. by marylandcakes: 8:37pm On Jul 10, 2016
At the moment Nigeria is very unstable, uprise of the Niger delta , the Biafra movement in the east and boko haram in the north. I won't risk it right now. I'm very pro Nigeria and patriotic, at the same time I am very practical and would not take unnecessary risk especially with my kids. Most Nigerians that can afford it are sending their kids abroad and those that can't are sending them to Ghana. The Educational system in Nigeria is messed and the few good private schools are overpriced or full of spoilt rich kids.
Re: Sending Kids Born Abroad To Boarding School In Nigeria. by bebe2(f): 10:44pm On Jul 10, 2016
marylandcakes:
At the moment Nigeria is very unstable, uprise of the Niger delta , the Biafra movement in the east and boko haram in the north. I won't risk it right now. I'm very pro Nigeria and patriotic, at the same time I am very practical and would not take unnecessary risk especially with my kids. Most Nigerians that can afford it are sending their kids abroad and those that can't are sending them to Ghana. The Educational system in Nigeria is messed and the few good private schools are overpriced or full of spoilt rich kids.

thats the one that gets me most.

scares the hell out of me.

(1) (Reply)

Uniosun Gets A New Vice Chancellor -bleech Reports / Things To Bring Along To Campus As A Fresher / When Conjoined Twins Go To School, Do They Get Separate Grades And Report Cards?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.