Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,439 members, 7,819,616 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:11 PM

How To Repair Your Vehicle (Basics) - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Repair Your Vehicle (Basics) (14318 Views)

Hilarious Photos of Things People Use To Repair Their Cars / These Are 10 Of The Most Expensive Car Parts To Repair & Replace / 15 Tips To Prolong The Life-span Of Your Vehicle. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Repair Your Vehicle (Basics) by Eazeee(m): 7:27am On Jul 11, 2016
d battery of my camry 2001 always run down if parked for like 2 days. pls what culd likely b d problem. electrician said d alternator is working well & d battery charges when am using d car
Re: How To Repair Your Vehicle (Basics) by KPEKPEKPE: 7:39am On Jul 11, 2016
nice one
Re: How To Repair Your Vehicle (Basics) by LastSurvivor: 7:44am On Jul 11, 2016
Bros just like grin
I for no study mechanical engineering na grin
Re: How To Repair Your Vehicle (Basics) by manmidtexy(m): 7:53am On Jul 11, 2016
AutosBay:
If you don't want to pay high prices for auto repair or just don't have enough money, learn the secrets of the basics now. Repair your with your own hands!

Nice one
Re: How To Repair Your Vehicle (Basics) by pointstores(m): 8:05am On Jul 11, 2016
k
Re: How To Repair Your Vehicle (Basics) by mmrius(m): 8:07am On Jul 11, 2016
Thanks for the tips. Knowledge is always power. Sadly, few of those criticising this post are either auto mechanics who don't want folks to possess this knowledge or they are damn ignorant.

I have fixed a nagging problem in my car by myself twice after spending thousands of naira with no result. A simple search of the problem on Google and watching the video on Youtube on how to fix it was all I did and the problem was fixed. It's called DIY - Do it yourself.
Re: How To Repair Your Vehicle (Basics) by moscobabs(m): 8:15am On Jul 11, 2016
Eazeee:
d battery of my camry 2001 always run down if parked for like 2 days. pls what culd likely b d problem. electrician said d alternator is working well & d battery charges when am using d car
check your brake pedal bro. Your break light might be on while u dont press break it happen to me last month.

I might be wrong ....let op, sienna or gazuz respond to this
Re: How To Repair Your Vehicle (Basics) by IsiCaterpillar(f): 8:36am On Jul 11, 2016
fkj950ax:
This post ought to be removed from NL.

Check engine light comes on because the cars electronic detects an anomaly.

It's better to correct that anomaly, FIRST before all this forced methods of getting check engine light turned off.

You haven't mentioned one problem a car might have or one way to repair this problem.

How about Cold Starting in the Morning, Battery Running Down, Incomplete Combustion / Sotty Emissions, Swerving to one side when braking, Headlights looking to the heavens...

These a common problems Nigerians fave and can be resolved at home if you explain the HOW TO and Parts Needed...

My check engine light was on and i contacted my mechanic who after scanning said the catalyst was bad and said it would cost me 25k to fix. I said 'odi mma, make i wait tilll they pay salary'.

I came to work later, parked the car but the car wont start after work. My colleague came and opened the hood and said the battery head was not tight enough and that it was clogged with salt. They dashed across the street, bought another battery head, fixed it and the car started.

I noticed that the check engine light was gone and it has been gone for like 4 months now. I drove the car from Lagos to Enugu and back over the holiday cum weekend still no check engine light annoyingly and horrifyingly popping up to make you feel like the car is gonna grind to a halt the next minute.

Summary, there is sense in what the poster wrote.
Re: How To Repair Your Vehicle (Basics) by emeths: 10:04am On Jul 11, 2016
good one!
Re: How To Repair Your Vehicle (Basics) by adanny01(m): 11:31am On Jul 11, 2016
mmrius:
Thanks for the tips. Knowledge is always power. Sadly, few of those criticising this post are either auto mechanics who don't want folks to possess this knowledge or they are damn ignorant.

I have fixed a nagging problem in my car by myself twice after spending thousands of naira with no result. A simple search of the problem on Google and watching the video on Youtube on how to fix it was all I did and the problem was fixed. It's called DIY - Do it yourself.

Half knowledge they will say is better than none. While that is true sometimes, other times it is disastrous.

For example, removing the battery head on a Peugeot while key is in the ignition will reset the ECU and also the immobilizer module. You will end up requiring an immobilizer transponder recoding before the car starts again. That is expensive as it is not a DIY procedure and you need to contact Peugeot and follow their processes.

Its not just simple to say one can remove the battery head to reset the ECU, you need to mention the dangers of doing so, so that people will not attempt and incure greater expenses on themselves. What the op has posted is shallow without necessary warnings.
Re: How To Repair Your Vehicle (Basics) by laslonew: 11:40am On Jul 11, 2016
All those tips are really pretty basic, but they will be very helpful for newbies surely
Re: How To Repair Your Vehicle (Basics) by adanny01(m): 11:47am On Jul 11, 2016
IsiCaterpillar:

My check engine light was on and i contacted my mechanic who after scanning said the catalyst was bad and said it would cost me 25k to fix. I said 'odi mma, make i wait tilll they pay salary'.

I came to work later, parked the car but the car wont start after work. My colleague came and opened the hood and said the battery head was not tight enough and that it was clogged with salt. They dashed across the street, bought another battery head, fixed it and the car started.

I noticed that the check engine light was gone and it has been gone for like 4 months now. I drove the car from Lagos to Enugu and back over the holiday cum weekend still no check engine light annoyingly and horrifyingly popping up to make you feel like the car is gonna grind to a halt the next minute.

Summary, there is sense in what the poster wrote.

This happens a lot.

Before a catalyst is declared failed, series of test must be conducted. Using bad fuel could set up a catalyst code but may not mean the catalyst is bad. A bad spark plug could do same but if replaced, the catalyst resumes its normal functions. The usual problem is that the ECU takes some time before it declares catalyst below threshold.

It also depends on driving style. I have noticed that driving at a steady low speed is good test for the catalyst. So, if you usually drive over 100km/hr you may not see the CEL return so soon.

After ECU reset, the light has taken me weeks to come back and sometimes with in minutes. If your catalyst is actually bad, you will eventually see the light come up again.

1 Like

Re: How To Repair Your Vehicle (Basics) by hotspec(m): 12:03pm On Jul 11, 2016
so u mean Baba Lekan d taxi and kabukabu driver will also find ds info useful? *****yinmu*****
Re: How To Repair Your Vehicle (Basics) by shirgles(m): 5:58pm On Jul 11, 2016
Nice one op
Re: How To Repair Your Vehicle (Basics) by decker1: 6:13pm On Jul 12, 2016
AutosBay:
Steps

Check engine or service engine soon light on. Before you spend a lot of money, try this: Remove your gas cap and re-tighten it, a loose or bad seal on the gas cap can set an evap code in your cars ECM or ECU causing a check engine or service engine soon light to come on.
please, I have a Nissan quest 2005 model, it blinks a light on d dash board which says service engine soon, please, how do I identify d gas cap dat u mention in ur comment , or wot do u tink I can do to stop Dis light blinking.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Toyota Recreates A Le Mans Car And Its Hybrid / Your Funny Experience Teaching Someone How To Drive / What Song Makes You Drive Fast?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.