Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,973 members, 7,821,409 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:35 PM

Traditional Wedding? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Traditional Wedding? (1148 Views)

10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires / Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites / Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traditional Wedding? by goldygirl: 8:02pm On Sep 10, 2009
Hi

I'm french (sorry for my English!) planning to get married in 2010 with a igbo man. I really want us to do the traditional wedding because is too wonderful and important for he's culture. He tell me many time that the traditional wedding it's too expensive, So, I suggest him to do it in Toronto where my family and igbo community leave and is parents and members of is family are ready to come. I would liked to know if we do the traditional outside Nigeria if it have the same value and if it will be recognize by everyone
Re: Traditional Wedding? by Hotstepper(f): 9:16pm On Sep 10, 2009
Traditional marriage can be done anywhere and still have the same value. Besides, u r french and traditional marriage does not apply to you. This is just an African/Nigerian tradition per se.

B/w. Traditional marriages are not expensive. It really depends on the couple/family
Re: Traditional Wedding? by goldygirl: 9:34pm On Sep 10, 2009
Thanks for the reply! At least I know it have the same value. But my fiance didn't tell me that I cannot do it because I'm french! He said it's possible and we can do it, I hope is not fake hope!!!!
Re: Traditional Wedding? by Hotstepper(f): 4:26am On Sep 11, 2009
ofcourse u can do it but not a must, traditional marriage is done at the house of the woman
Re: Traditional Wedding? by bydot1(m): 4:30am On Sep 11, 2009
sad
Re: Traditional Wedding? by topup: 8:04am On Sep 11, 2009
Who does this traditional marriage more to, you or your fiance, it sounds like it's very important to you, and he doesn't mind doing it in Toronto, which is probably the best idea.

It is lovely to see that you are passionate about your husband's heritage and background, hopefully he does not resent yours, and you two can bring a sort of mixture of both to the children, you might have, in order for them to be well grounded in who they are.

If there are any traditional things or statements he needs to do that comply with french tradition I would advise that he does that too, for fairness, and getting the respect right from the start of the marriage smiley.

All the best.

P.s. your English is great. Anglais c'est Tres Bon (unlike my French)!!
Re: Traditional Wedding? by goldygirl: 9:08am On Sep 11, 2009
Thanks for all the reply!!! cheesy
Re: Traditional Wedding? by MissyB1(m): 10:26am On Sep 11, 2009
goldygirl:

Hi

I'm french (sorry for my English!) planning to get married in 2010 with a igbo man. I really want us to do the traditional wedding because is too wonderful and important for he's culture. He tell me many time that the traditional wedding it's too expensive, So, I suggest him to do it in Toronto where my family and igbo community leave and isĀ  parents and members of is family are ready to come. I would liked to know if we do the traditional outside Nigeria if it have the same value and if it will be recognize by everyone
I really can't tell because I think the worth of a tradition cannot be measured.
Personally . . . .there's something that makes it VERY TRADITIONAL when
the T.W takes place in my DAD'S house in NIGERIA while I'm dressed in my
TRADITIONAL ATTIRE and there are enough TRADITIONAL MEALS and everything is TRADITIONALIZED. cheesy

Again . . . .It still boils down to how You want Your thing done.
Re: Traditional Wedding? by AndreUweh(m): 6:26pm On Sep 11, 2009
POSTER
Your message here is not clear. You failed to state if you are Igbo or not. If an Igbo man is marrying a french, German, English, Irish and other western cultures, they do not do traditional weddings. But if an Igbo man is marrying an Igbo lady or related cultures, then there is the case for traditional marryiage.
So, what sort of french are you?. Just explain your self more and be specific with your ethnicity.
Re: Traditional Wedding? by ifyalways(f): 11:18pm On Sep 12, 2009
Andre,she said she is a French girl about to get married to an Igbo man.
Re: Traditional Wedding? by AndreUweh(m): 4:06pm On Sep 13, 2009
ifyalways:

Andre,she said she is a French girl about to get married to an Igbo man.

based on the above quote, there is no need for a traditional marriage. Traditional marriage occurs when someone marries an Igbo lady or from related cultures. The Igbo man should not be expected to conduct a traditional marriage in this circumstance, and there is no point turning Igbo culture upside down.
Re: Traditional Wedding? by mamagee6(f): 5:27pm On Sep 13, 2009
Re: Traditional Wedding? by ChinenyeN(m): 6:54pm On Sep 13, 2009
Andre Uweh, agreed, but she can still do a traditional marriage if she wants. The thing though is that she would just have to find out how her culture in France does their traditional marriage.
Re: Traditional Wedding? by AndreUweh(m): 6:57pm On Sep 14, 2009
The western world has statutory marriage while Ndiigbo has statutory and traditional marriage (Igba nkwu or Ihe nrisa). It is either the POSTER does not know what she wants or she is Igbo pretending to be French. There are lots of them.
Re: Traditional Wedding? by ChinenyeN(m): 5:30am On Sep 15, 2009
In that case, her and her husband to-be would go and do the statutory marriage, instead of Ilu Nwaanyi.
Re: Traditional Wedding? by presido1: 9:23am On Sep 15, 2009
If you are french the your husband will do french traditional wedding not Igbo traditional wedding. Igbo traditional wedding is only done when an Igbo girl is getting married. If an Igbo guy is getting married to somebody outside the Igbo community he will only do the marriage rites to conform with the tradition of his in laws.

Unless you are of Igbo ancestry but french born then you can do the trado but its weird doing it in Toronto.

(1) (Reply)

Black History Month Celebrated In Style @ My Place Of Work / Katakata In Ogboni Fraternity / Igbos Are The Best.....and Am Not Even Igbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.