Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,813 members, 7,817,357 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:51 AM

Why Is Our Music The Way It Is? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Is Our Music The Way It Is? (882 Views)

New Music: The Weeknd - Call Out My Name / New Gospel Music - The Grateful Song Produced By Me / Gospel Music, The Name Of Jesus By Odufu Samgroove (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Our Music The Way It Is? by RobinHez(m): 4:20pm On Jul 11, 2016
Er.... A little introduction would help your understanding.

I love music alot. It is what keeps me going in my everyday life which is spent mostly alone. From inspiration to encouragement, to sadness, getting High... And even love! There's a song for all. Not to talk about the boss of all... Gospel! (gospel fans in da' house throw yo' hands up! grin #not ashamed)

And so, suddenly I start having friends, and there goes the "can I check out your Playlist..." and the familiar face of disgust! "Dude, we're in the 21st century men! Who listens to all these)

OK fine! I tried sampling most of the music making waves in the country (apologies for being non-chalant to art made in me country! embarassed) and I discovered yet again.... Things haven't changed! Same old, same old! - - - - - >"Money-Girls-Sex"

And then I go on to chechout the awards given to artists in the country... And those junk get to win awards... Wtf. To the extent, a drunk Olamide went on stage to cause a scene for one of his acts.... OK, lemme see what's with this Lil-Kesh of a guy....

Google search....

Ah! Same old... Same old! undecided

So I don't understand. Is it that artists now live for today? Never caring about the content? Or are the likes of Timi Dakolo, Asa, MI, Darey... etc... Fools for keeping things real?
Every piece of music out there is the same! Same beat! Same lyrics! Same kinda music video! And same kinda audience!
I thought about Iyanya, Chidinma, Praize, Banky-W, Tiwa Savage and every other artists who were opportuned to learn at the feets of Grand-masters.... And I saw no difference, even when I expected one...

I don't need to go too far though.... A stroll to the music section of Nairaland would convince any neutral mind that it's "same old, same old" or how does repeating 'you're such a diva 8x equal a song? "

Oh well... Y'all pardon my rant! I've got a 4-credit load course to write tomorrow, so I just had to type this without thinking.

So to my question.... Why is our music the way it is? cry

Cc Lalasticlala
, Seun, Mynd44
Re: Why Is Our Music The Way It Is? by IAMMUIC: 7:14pm On Jul 11, 2016
I made a similar post i tagged: "The Average Nigerian's music perception" on my blog https://blarckbillboard./2016/06/14/the-average-nigerians-faulty-conception-of-music/

Well, in a bid to answer ur question i would start by saying you cant really blame most Nigerians for their choice of music. The problem as to why Nigerians prefer a certain kind of music is psychological. The Nigerian society is filled with people with undeveloped music minds. Am sure you will agree with me that the sought of music a learned man would prefer, lets say a professor who has been opportuned to live outside the shores of Nigeria and the sought of music a carpenter would prefer wont be same. There's a possibility that the professor would prefer classical music while the carpenter may on the other hand prefer a more local sound. The reason is, while the intellectual could relate with such sounds as classical music and its kind, the less intellectual couldn't.

Secondly, you must also understand that Nigerians and Africans in diaspora have an affinity with drum beats, that is, danceable songs. Anything that also fails to fall within this category falls short.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Our Music The Way It Is? by RobinHez(m): 7:21pm On Jul 11, 2016
IAMMUIC:
I made a similar post i tagged: "The Average Nigerian's music perception" on my blog https://blarckbillboard./2016/06/14/the-average-nigerians-faulty-conception-of-music/

Well, in a bid to answer ur question i would start by saying you cant really blame most Nigerians for their choice of music. The problem as to why Nigerians prefer a certain kind of music is psychological. The Nigerian society is filled with people with undeveloped music minds. Am sure you will agree with me that the sought of music a learned man would prefer, lets say a professor who has been opportuned to live outside the shores of Nigeria and the sought of music a carpenter would prefer wont be same. There's a possibility that the professor would prefer classical music while the carpenter may on the other hand prefer a more local sound. The reason is, while the intellectual could relate with such sounds as classical music and its kind, the less intellectual couldn't.

Secondly, you must also understand that Nigerians and Africans in diaspora have an affinity with drum beats, that is, danceable songs. Anything that also fails to fall within this category falls short.

Hmmmm.... Insightful.
But at least, we should grow tired of hearing the same thing being re-packaged over and over again...

and I could accept the beats explanation, but what do you have to say about lyrical content?

I particularly loved your article and it's opening words...

After absorbing myself in Jon Bellion’s recent Album: The Human Condition, I felt I had achieved a heightened state of music consciousness. In my liberality I considered sharing one of the most impressive songs from the album with a Childhood friend of mine. One minute after playing the song from his phone I notice a frown on his face, a sure sign of discontent. He takes off his ear-phones slowly, turns to me and says “this song no sweet jare, e wohn make me sleep”. He immediately deletes the song from his phone.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Our Music The Way It Is? by kayo80(m): 7:24pm On Jul 11, 2016
RobinHez:

Hmmmm.... Insightful.
But at least, we should grow tired of hearing the same thing being re-packaged over and over again...

and I could accept the beats explanation, but what do you have to say about lyrical content?

After absorbing myself in Jon Bellion’s recent Album: The Human Condition, I felt I had achieved a heightened state of music consciousness. In my liberality I considered sharing one of the most impressive songs from the album with a Childhood friend of mine. One minute after playing the song from his phone I notice a frown on his face, a sure sign of discontent. He takes off his ear-phones slowly, turns to me and says “this song no sweet jare, e wohn make me sleep”. He immediately deletes the song from his phone.

lol! We love pangolo music too much in Nigeria.
Re: Why Is Our Music The Way It Is? by IAMMUIC: 7:49pm On Jul 11, 2016
RobinHez:

Hmmmm.... Insightful.

Thanks brov
Re: Why Is Our Music The Way It Is? by IAMMUIC: 8:01pm On Jul 11, 2016
Tuface even recently expressed his discontent with the quality of music churned out by the so-called new generation Nigerian music artists.
https://blarckbillboard./2016/07/11/tuface-discontent-with-the-quality-of-musical-message-coming-out-of-the-nigerian-music-industry/

But am hopeful things wont always remain like this in our music industry. Am a strong believer in change and evolution, someday our industry will definitely evolve from what it is today and achieve perfection.
Re: Why Is Our Music The Way It Is? by IAMMUIC: 8:03pm On Jul 11, 2016
Success in ur 4-unit course exam tomorrow!!!
Re: Why Is Our Music The Way It Is? by RobinHez(m): 8:51pm On Jul 11, 2016
IAMMUIC:
Success in ur 4-unit course exam tomorrow!!!

Thanks bro.
Re: Why Is Our Music The Way It Is? by RobinHez(m): 8:52pm On Jul 11, 2016
Lalasticlala, stop ignoring me. undecided

IAMMUIC:
Tuface even recently expressed his discontent with the quality of music churned out by the so-called new generation Nigerian music artists.
https://blarckbillboard./2016/07/11/tuface-discontent-with-the-quality-of-musical-message-coming-out-of-the-nigerian-music-industry/

But am hopeful things wont always remain like this in our music industry. Am a strong believer in change and evolution, someday our industry will definitely evolve from what it is today and achieve perfection.
Re: Why Is Our Music The Way It Is? by Nobody: 8:30am On Jul 12, 2016
I have almost all the songs of passenger on my phone. dude is pure inspiration. yet, many Nigerians, Including the op, will get bored if I share his songs with them.

His song, circles, is, in my opinion, one of the deepest songs ever written in this age. yet, most Nigerians just focus on the song.

I used to listen to classical music, but I had an issue with the phone I was using, now, All the songs on my playlist are from a friend's phone. there are justin beiber songs here, there are cody simpson songs, taylor swift songs, skylar grey songs, tye tribett, kirk franklin, rita ora, jesse j, chris brown, nicki minaj, john legend, evanescence, one direction, 5 seconds of summer, and thank fully for me, some passenger songs I shared with her a long time a go that she hadn't gotten around to listening, and hence, deleting.

I've had to force myself to enjoy these songs. And I'm developing a taste for them. They're actually not that bad. complex music can only be enjoyed by complex minds. It's basically nature. let them continue to listen to the songs that suit them. criticizing them won't change their brain structure.

But I've got to agree. you're such a diva was such crap. he literally just repeats "You're just a Diva" over and over again. In a sane society, such music should go to the garbage truck. angry
Re: Why Is Our Music The Way It Is? by IAMMUIC: 9:12am On Jul 12, 2016
Teempakguy:
I have almost all the songs of passenger on my phone. dude is pure inspiration. yet, many Nigerians, Including the op, will get bored if I share his songs with them.

His song, circles, is, in my opinion, one of the deepest songs ever written in this age. yet, most Nigerians just focus on the song.

I used to listen to classical music, but I had an issue with the phone I was using, now, All the songs on my playlist are from a friend's phone. there are justin beiber songs here, there are cody simpson songs, taylor swift songs, skylar grey songs, tye tribett, kirk franklin, rita ora, jesse j, chris brown, nicki minaj, john legend, evanescence, one direction, 5 seconds of summer, and thank fully for me, some passenger songs I shared with her a long time a go that she hadn't gotten around to listening, and hence, deleting.

I've had to force myself to enjoy these songs. And I'm developing a taste for them. They're actually not that bad. complex music can only be enjoyed by complex minds. It's basically nature. let them continue to listen to the songs that suit them. criticizing them won't change their brain structure.

But I've got to agree. you're such a diva was such crap. he literally just repeats "You're just a Diva" over and over again. In a sane society, such music should go to the garbage truck. angry

Am glad you also agree with me that the problem with Nigerians preferring superficial music is purely psychological.
Re: Why Is Our Music The Way It Is? by RobinHez(m): 1:22pm On Jul 12, 2016
Lalasticlala c'mon! angry
Re: Why Is Our Music The Way It Is? by badonkadonk: 8:19pm On Jul 12, 2016
RobinHez:
Lalasticlala c'mon! angry

How u go expect am to come when there is no snake in your thread...

U are ryt... Music has lost the value it used to have.. The only set of artistes I respect remains tuface, banky w, darey, and recently the non-commercial side of kiss daniels album e.g duro, not so much of a fan of others...

Truth is... Most people and artistes no know wetin music dey all bout...

And dats just saddening...
Re: Why Is Our Music The Way It Is? by RobinHez(m): 4:42pm On Jul 29, 2016
Lalasticlala
Re: Why Is Our Music The Way It Is? by RobinHez(m): 7:42am On Aug 14, 2016
Lalasticlala fp

(1) (Reply)

My Evening With Lagos' Radio Stations / Dj Thankgod - Back To Back Naija Mixtape / Lil Kesh – "Love Story" (audio Download)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.