Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,440 members, 7,819,621 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:18 PM

How Reliable Are BMW Cars? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Reliable Are BMW Cars? (64141 Views)

How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? / How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? / How Reliable Are Mazda Cars? For A Frequent Traveller. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by obijack: 3:44pm On Nov 25, 2008
@Logoman,

The only defective thing about a BMW is the Fuel Economy Rating (especially for the older models)

I presently drive a 1989 325ix (the IX means 4 wheel drive) although I had to remove the front shaft and converted the front to normal E30. I bought the car in October 2006 for N120,000. (You may think it is junk). I had to put in another N80,000 for body work and overhaulling of the Engine by a competent BMW mechanic at Ladipo.

To date after 2 years I still own the car, I have spent about 310,000 in both maintenance and repairs including the cost of converting the front wheels to Normal E30.

The car is reliable,Parts are relatively cheap. Last week I had to change the two front shocks with brand new ones (shaft only) for N6,500.00 (SACS brand), Tyrod N3000, Ball Joints 3700 and Labour about N4000.

What I am driving at here is that this is a type of replacement that is done probably once in 12 months or once in 18 months or even 2 years. Although I do not drive much around town as my office is closer to my house, on long travel and on the highway, I always have this feeling of being very safe in the car knowing it will never just suddenly stop unlike what my previous Honda prelude had done a couple of times.

Every car is good but reliability, safety, comfort and don't forget prestige is another thing. The sound of the engine alone is awesome. Once you've driven and heard the sound of the engine roaring, you will never want to let it go. Drive another car and try to listen for that engine sound if you can hear it.

The thing on Fuel is this. The bigger the engine, the better the performance and the more fuel needed. The 3 series range is easy to choose from unlike the 5 series that is strickly 6 cylinders. The lowest is the 316 as erico analysed 3 means 3 series, 16 means 1.6 litres. Other are 318, 320, 325, 325ix, 330, etc.

Furthermore, a 1996 Honda Accord (Bull Dog) hand an MPG of 24 miles, while a 1996 318 (e36) has an MPG of 23. The difference is just 1 mile. Where the Bimmer can go and come back, the Accord will have a heart transplant after it.

Nigeria is so good that you will be presented with the prices for the original and substandard parts. The choice is always yours to make and identifying them is not a problem.

If you live in Lagos and need a good Mechanic, just drive down to Ladipo. Any part seller will recommend a good mechanic for you. All you have to do is just call him and he will come and pick up your car.

BM forever.

Forget Niga roads.

If the car is not good pple will not be falling over one another to own it.

It is a machine, not a toy like those Japanese.

Good luck.

Peter.
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by KarmaMod(f): 3:47pm On Nov 25, 2008
obijack:

It is a machine, not a toy like those Japanese.

at least they consider fuel and people's pockets
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by oblo(m): 4:07pm On Nov 25, 2008
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-194763.0.html

@ logamon

Check out this thread ok. I will give this ride to you at a reasonable prize.
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by logamon: 5:23pm On Nov 26, 2008
@obijack,
Awesome analysis Peter. Thanx alot.

@oblo,
checked ur link, not quite what i would like to have. thanx
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by 190: 1:15am On Dec 08, 2008
abeg e 190 beta pass all these BMW wen una dey yarn 4 this site jore
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by jigga08: 1:46pm On Dec 08, 2008
bmw's are the BOMB!!!
forget what people say,
i have being driving mine for years,
it's the ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE>>
and the newer ones (2001 till date) are very fuel economical, their a/c's are ice cold, plus they don't overheat,
BUY ONE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by trisurface: 5:55pm On Dec 09, 2008
if u've ever driven a BMW,you'll always keep your options open.from Isuzus to Peugeots,Vauxhalls to Nissans, I've ben fortunate to run them all.
i can tell you that on Lagos-Benin, between Oore & Ofosu, thieves on your tail in a Land Cruiser, the only car that will heighten your chances of getting away is a BMW.
Turning around corners, time taken to regain stability after bouncing, Headlights acuity, Braking distance, the BMW is untouched,
Nothing compares to a fit BMW.
EOD, I hope.

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by beybeeboy: 7:37pm On Dec 09, 2008
Guys, guys, please, please stop comparing a BMW to hondas, toyotas and whatever those jap metal cans are called. as far as i'm concerned, those that dont appreciate BMWs should not bother about them. you dont lure someone into getting a BMW. You got to have greatness in you to appreciate one. For me, proposing to my girlfriend in a BMW factory is bliss! Jeez the thought of buying the new E60 keeps me awake! I used a couple of cars and nothing compares to a BMW. My advice to jap lovers, whenever you see a BMW, stop and let it pass please. Its the least you can do.
I love BMW, gosh!

2 Likes

Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by damola1: 8:40pm On Dec 09, 2008
Na only poor people or poor dreamers go say good thin no good.

How you go say B M, no dey reliable?, which one come fit dey reliable?, Just talk true, not only can u not afford it, but d dream pass you by.

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by 190: 11:49pm On Dec 09, 2008
190 stil beta pass all these bmw wen una dey praise like the best car in the world
benz was the 1st car on earth afta garden of eden so respect all benz products
includin the 190 especially the 190,anyway hondas,toyota come next so mak una keep quiet for bmw mata

word!!
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by Meristem: 8:10pm On Dec 10, 2008
Bros,
I have been using a BMW 320i for over 5 years now. Guy, that machine is something wicked. Before I bought the car, I sought my friend's opinion and he gave the car names like Busted My Wallet and Big Man Wahala. I told him I loved the car so much that I would still buy it. Up till now, no regrets whatsoever. If you want an unforgettable driving experience in an auto built by the world's finest auto engineers, its a Beemer. You may like to know that these Bayerische Motoren Werke (thats the real name) dudes started off with fighter aircraft engines!
This space is too short for my testimony, just call me grin. The only thing is that yes, the parts are expensive so if you are not on a living wage, you may consider a mazda grin grin
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by 190: 11:16pm On Dec 10, 2008
did i hear mazda,
it dosent even exist anymore
anyway BMW is an electric car,
always one electric problem or d oda
2 me,
my list remains the same,
1, mercedez
2, toyota
3, honda's
4, BMW/audi**dem drag**
5, odas
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by erico2k2(m): 2:09pm On Dec 11, 2008
Guys, there are three things you should consider when you wanna buy a car,Ground clearance,Fuel consumption and maintanance, eery other thing are almost same for a new cars,if you wanna know the coolness and durability of any kind of car, just do a suray arround the mechanic workshop you can find, se what brands ar predominant in the workshop for repairs, I recon you aint gona find that many BMWs with thier hods up for repair as you will for toyotas,Hondas and the so called 190s lol, oh did I say 190? they've actually stopped manufacturing them I think tongue
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by jodeci(m): 8:22am On Dec 12, 2008
Talk of ruggedity (The 5 series),talk of response,talk of safety (u can negotiate 180 degrees at 100km/h and apply break with a bursted front tire without summersault).

I have been driving my BMW 5.35 for the past 5 years without any cause for regrest,though th fue consumption is high and parts relatively high.

That car makes Abuja,lagos and port harcourt 2 times a week without shaking,all u need do is to changet the oil when due.

The engine has never failed me anyday.

I give it anyday to BMW.
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by shotster50(m): 12:15am On Jan 06, 2009
@ erico2k2

Hi i need to discuss some issues regarding exporting RHD cars to Nigeria. Please drop me a line at formats50@yahoo.com.
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by erico2k2(m): 12:49pm On Feb 11, 2009
Man, sorry it took so long for me to reply, I aint come to this section for ages, well for starters, it depends on how far you wanna travel fro and to, I have noticed from personal expirience that bigger engines are mor fuel efficient for longer journeys ie motor ways, but shit in town ie driving below 40m/h, but you got more breaking horse power with the bigger engines
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by ttts(m): 4:02pm On Feb 11, 2009
To say the least, I have enjoyed this particular thread abour BMWs. I love these machines so much since I was an undergrad in my uni days and I have made up my mind to own one, especially a 3 series, So thanks to all those who have contributed to this, Cheers.BMW, The ultimate driving machine!!! smiley
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by Guk: 11:58pm On Apr 16, 2009
extremely reliable!!!!
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by mccloud224(m): 10:21pm On May 29, 2009
Hmmm, pretty old post but good one.

@Topic

Do NOT compare BMW's with hondas,toyotas or any other asian cars.BMW's are vehicles in a class of their own.They are built for pleasure driving and durability.They are not meant for EVERYONE.It's high maintenance and if you have a maintenance culture imbibed in you, then you wouldn't be complaining.

My dream ride is the BMW X6.Love it.
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by promise72(m): 11:14pm On May 29, 2009
If you have money to burn, keep driving /looking for a BMW. Otherwise, look for a TOYOTA CRESSIDA. Save money and build a house, then drive a cressida. Stop flushing money down the drain. undecided
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by 190: 5:51am On May 30, 2009
wic one be toyota cressida
again embarassed embarassed

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by jolaogun(m): 12:28am On Aug 02, 2009
after all said and done u shld be able to count the positive replies against the negative ones BUT as for me I WILL NOT WITHOUT RIDING A BIMMA.
I drive a Nissan but know that I'm not a complete man
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by candylips(m): 10:55am On Sep 24, 2009
BMW all the way.
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by xcolanto(m): 12:45am On Nov 22, 2009
bmw the best motor on wheels!! cant compare any car in this world to that german machine, one luv! bm lovers
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by Nobody: 2:44am On Nov 23, 2009
BMW's are reliable - I've owned 2, a 1989 325i Mtech Sport, and a 1990 M3 Cabrio, never had any issues.

@ Obijack: Why did you convert your E30 from 4WD to RWD?? If you've just removed the fron drive shafts, and retained the 325iX tranny, you're creating drag, that's not being converted to motion.

And just another point, the model designation doesn't always reflect the engine size. Examples (E30):

316 - 1,6
316 - 1,8
318 - 1,8
320 - 2,0
323 - 2,3
323 - 2,5
324 - 2,4 TD

There are also other models where the model designation became even more confusing, in the E36 models, there were both 1,8 / 1,9 badged as 318.
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by obijack: 9:42am On Nov 23, 2009
Hi Siena,

You are very correct with respect to the engine designation. Recently my elder brother recently bought a 5 series which I found out had thesame engine as that in my 3 series.

As for my conversion, I had to take the six cyl out and replaced it with an m40 engine 4 cyl for some reasons,

1. I couldn't get a good front shocks for replacement. (I know fit order am because pepper no rest) The price of the one I saw that was almost new was more than 300% over regular e30 shocks.

2. The replacement ball joints were out of reach compared to regular e30.

The front shocks were replaced with regular e30 but the show stopper was the oil pump. So I had the option of getting a 2.5 half engine or replace the engire engine to m40. I chose the later. Though it was a huge cost for me and the car has lost togue I prefered it as I now drive it around town without burning much fuel.

My wife now drives it and apart from minor electricals, the engine is still sounding sweet especially on the highway. It may be sluggish around town but once it picks up, it is always a joy to drive. My wife had to put up her honda civic 96 for sale as refuse to drive it and she is constantly nagging that I exchange the bimmer for the civic. I sold the civic and how drive an e36 320. It has more togue but I still prefer my e30. We have taken the e30 to Ubulu uku (my home town) in Delta state 2wice this year and the engine is still spurring for more action.
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by Nobody: 9:56am On Nov 23, 2009
^^^ Good testament to the build quality of the Bavarian car.

@ All: Yes, the BMW may cost more in terms of fuelling and probably maintenance, but that's the way it is - you can't have performance on fresh air. To produce energy requires fuel to be burnt!

I spend a lot of time behind the wheel, including when I visit Europe. A comfortable, capable car is very important to me. The smaller-engined, lighter Japanese models may be more frugal in town, but the larger-engined German cars - Audi, BMW, Mercedes and Volkswagen are built for the Autobahn, and will return better MPG on a long run.

I wouldn't even consider driving across the Continent with a small-engined Japanese model, a 16-hour trip would soon become a nightmare. In this case, A BMW will also be a lot more durable in terms of good service mileage. Most German cars will exceed 500,000 miles, I couldn't honestly say the same for the Japmobiles. Prime examples are the air and later water-cooled VW Bus / Transporters on Lagos's roads (Danfo). Some of these date back to the late '70's, the fact they're still in service today, is testament to their strength and high-mileage capability.

We all know Danfo's have a hard life too!

The moral:

For comfort, driving pleasure, high-mileage capability - buy a BMW.
For enthusiast driving (a real driver's car) - buy a BMW.
For just a car to get from A to B, and if fuel economy's a high consideration, buy a 1,0 litre Japmobile.

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by german007(m): 10:38am On Nov 23, 2009
"Most German cars will exceed 500,000 miles"

Well said sienna. This is something Iv been preaching and laying emphasis on. Have I ever seen a toyota reach 220k miles?.Dont think so.

I have driven litterally every series of bmw, even back to the 1995 BMW 850CSi coupe (which perhaps a lot of people dont know of), but it was of the most powerful bmw's ever made.

I drove a Le mans blue bmw x5 4.6 for two years, Yes you heard right sienna"BMW X5 4.6 ", lol . A huge gas guzzler I must say, but was a pleasurable driving experience. Gave me the best euphoric and exciting feeling ever. Mileage reached 220k miles when I sold it off and it still drove like brand new.
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by Nobody: 10:54am On Nov 23, 2009
^^^ Yes, I remember the 8-series vividly - 840 and 850ci.

Massive V12 motor, and pulled like a train -850ci (5,0).
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by lungwun(m): 12:31pm On Nov 23, 2009
german007:

Have I ever seen a toyota reach 220k miles?.Dont think so.

Correction, my 1992 Carina E Read 342,*** on the odometer Sometime in january. Bought it when it read 160,*** on the clock in 2000.
Never changed the engine. Still drove magnificently. N i'm sure when i go home this christmas, it'll still ride well.
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by KunleA2(m): 3:19pm On Nov 23, 2009
german007:

"Most German cars will exceed 500,000 miles"

Well said sienna.  This is something Iv been preaching and laying emphasis on.   Have I ever seen a toyota reach 220k miles?.Dont think so.

Sorry to burst your bubble, you are either misinformed or been living under a rock for all these years, no offense. Why don't you try and find about the LEGENDARY toyota 22R engines. Its has been in production since the 60's or so. 18R, 20R, 21R, 22R etc. Here in the US, you see them approaching 300k miles (That will be about 480,000 kms) with no issue. The hilux pickup truck uses those engines. Carina, Corona, old Celica etc.

Even Siena, i believe, used to have a Supra or a Celica before, and he can tell you.

You are free to love your German cars all you want but the difference is in the maintenance cost. Japanese engines might not be as fun to drive as compared to German but you can't argue your way out of the cost of maintenance and ease of fixing. And to most folks, that all that matters.

There is not where in the world that you won't either find a Toyota or someone who can fix one. However, that can't be said for a BMW. So why would i wanna get stranded waiting for some certified mechanic or i can take it around the corner of my town and get it fixed?

All these images from remote villages in war zones like Somalia, Iraq, Labanon, Egypt, etc. More than likely you will see a Toyota running around. With a machine gun on top sometimes  cheesy
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Nov 23, 2009
Yes, I had the Celica, with the 22RE motor, was fine to drive, but it just didn't deliver, not for me anyway.

It was adequate, though less refined at high RPM.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Anthony Obinna Okafor Who Built Solar-powered Tricycle In 21 Days / Toyota Unveils First Nigerian Toyota Vehicle Assembled In Lagos(photo) / This N600m 2000 Mercedes Benz CLK-GTR Will Leave You Speechless (photos & Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.