Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,525 members, 7,843,627 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 08:54 AM

After Buhari's Corruption Fight, What Next? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / After Buhari's Corruption Fight, What Next? (672 Views)

Residents In Imo Refuses The Renaming Of Road After Buhari / Amaechi And Wike Fight - What I Noticed From The Pics / Buhari’s Corruption War Not Politically- Motivated – Makarfi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

After Buhari's Corruption Fight, What Next? by socialmediaman: 10:33am On Jul 13, 2016
This question kind of got me thinking...

Prelude:
In 1966, some young officers led by Nzeogwu assassinated 11 senior military officers in a coup d'etat; corruption was one of the reasons they gave for their action.

Fast forward to 50 years later, Nigeria is still plagued by the same syndrome. There must be something wrong which we're not addressing yet.

Important Questions:
1. Is this corruption fight sustainable after Buhari? 2. Are we truly fighting corruption or is this just some lopsided fight against only corrupt people in the opposition, with sacred cows?
3. Have we started building the institutions Obama once talked about?
4. Where are we headed 50 years from now?

Your contributions are welcome.

-SocialMediaMan

cc: lalasticlala
Re: After Buhari's Corruption Fight, What Next? by Nobody: 11:08am On Jul 13, 2016
Lol... if there are no strong institutions to checkmate corruption it will continue. .... and please Buhari is not fighting any corruption, he is just a slowpoke deceiver beating around the bush....

When u see a just cause, its end result will show.....

1 Like

Re: After Buhari's Corruption Fight, What Next? by socialmediaman: 11:55am On Jul 13, 2016
crixtex:
Lol... if there are no strong institutions to checkmate corruption it will continue. .... and please Buhari is not fighting any corruption, he is just a slowpoke deceiver beating around the bush....

When u see a just cause, its end result will show.....

You make sense when you say corruption will continue if there are no strong institutions. The problem is, it takes time to build these institutions, where are we at that?
Re: After Buhari's Corruption Fight, What Next? by Sweetguy25: 12:09pm On Jul 13, 2016
My old friend, longest time.

Anyways,the question is - how exactly is Buhari fighting corruption?

1 Like

Re: After Buhari's Corruption Fight, What Next? by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jul 13, 2016
socialmediaman:

You make sense when you say corruption will continue if there are no strong institutions. The problem is, it takes time to build these institutions, where are we at that?

These leaders are just the thieves. .. see how GEJ'sgovt looted us financially dry (not counting Obj govt, Abacha's which are grand patrons of looting etc)... Buhari dat was voted en-masse to do the job, came in and started doing another thing...
From your question, we are at nowhere because if anoda govt comes in now, dey will witch hunt and pilfer the National cake...

The president should come up with strong laws that will restrict these looters, and engage strong technological institutions dat will easily detect corruption, and let d looter face the law, and if found guilty, the law should take its course...

Wat do u think?
Re: After Buhari's Corruption Fight, What Next? by socialmediaman: 1:05pm On Jul 13, 2016
Sweetguy25:
My old friend, longest time.

Anyways,the question is - how exactly is Buhari fighting corruption?

My friend, you asked a good question because fighting corruption is not about the man, it's about the institution. I haven't seen the structure yet at all, I don't know where all this is headed yet. Let's not be misdirected!
Re: After Buhari's Corruption Fight, What Next? by socialmediaman: 1:13pm On Jul 13, 2016
crixtex:

The president should come up with strong laws that will restrict these looters, and engage strong technological institutions dat will easily detect corruption, and let d looter face the law, and if found guilty, the law should take its course...

Wat do u think?

I think the president should institute strong bodies governed by non-partisan stakeholders to institute laws and implement them. There needs to be a structure set up which includes all stakeholders (including governors). This body should decide how the fight against corruption will be handled, especially as the FG and every state has a pattern of its corruption, we identify the hindrances, develop a structure and then enforce it from there. We need to establish a system where everyone understands they cannot be above that system, and it can even consume those who established it if they violate its terms. There needs to be system, else we may keep running round the same circles. In My Opinion.
Re: After Buhari's Corruption Fight, What Next? by Nobody: 3:03pm On Jul 13, 2016
socialmediaman:

I think the president should institute strong bodies governed by non-partisan stakeholders to institute laws and implement them. There needs to be a structure set up which includes all stakeholders (including governors). This body should decide how the fight against corruption will be handled, especially as the FG and every state has a pattern of its corruption, we identify the hindrances, develop a structure and then enforce it from there. We need to establish a system where everyone understands they cannot be above that system, and it can even consume those who established it if they violate its terms. There needs to be system, else we may keep running round the same circles. In My Opinion.

Yeah of course, and in addition
1. Removal of immunity
2. Encouraging patriotic acts
3. Every citizen should be registered on a database. ..
Re: After Buhari's Corruption Fight, What Next? by socialmediaman: 3:08pm On Jul 13, 2016
crixtex:

1. Removal of immunity

Yeah, I support removal of immunity from criminal prosecution.

1 Like

Re: After Buhari's Corruption Fight, What Next? by Pedrop: 3:48pm On Jul 13, 2016
Institutions and structures that areself serving and do not depend on the center is what we need in Nigeria.

Imagine Magu evading questions about Buratai, this simply shows we practise the saying that "he who pays the piper detects the tune" in Nigeria. Some are untouchable while some are escape goats.

That Magu is not even a smart one, just a statement alone can do better than his dodging. He can easily say " we are on it" " Nobody is above the law" etc, he decided to show Buhari's deceipt by running away from crime with evidence.
Re: After Buhari's Corruption Fight, What Next? by Pedrop: 3:49pm On Jul 13, 2016
Institutions and structures that are self serving and do not depend on the center are what we need in Nigeria.

Imagine Magu evading questions about Buratai, this simply shows we practise the saying that "he who pays the piper detects the tune" in Nigeria. Some are untouchable while some are escape goats.

That Magu is not even a smart one, just a statement alone can do better than his dodging. He can easily say " we are on it" " Nobody is above the law" etc, he decided to show Buhari's deceipt by running away from crime with evidence.

1 Like

Re: After Buhari's Corruption Fight, What Next? by todayboy: 3:51pm On Jul 13, 2016
Buhari fighting corruption is the biggest achievement for his government
he will use that to keep his zombie followers busy the next four years
Re: After Buhari's Corruption Fight, What Next? by mikki123(m): 3:59pm On Jul 13, 2016
After corrupt i nothing AGAIN. BUHARI is visionless
Re: After Buhari's Corruption Fight, What Next? by fallout87: 4:04pm On Jul 13, 2016
There is no fight against corruption.

If there were one we would be hearing of new policies and regulations in place which would checkmate power abuse and theft.

Instead all we are witnessing is even more theft than under GEJ and horrendous abuses of power.

Well done Naija. Well done.
Re: After Buhari's Corruption Fight, What Next? by socialmediaman: 7:10pm On Jul 13, 2016
fallout87:
There is no fight against corruption.

If there were one we would be hearing of new policies and regulations in place which would checkmate power abuse and theft.

Instead all we are witnessing is even more theft than under GEJ and horrendous abuses of power.

Well done Naija. Well done.

This is serious! Which way Nigeria?
Re: After Buhari's Corruption Fight, What Next? by bokohalal(m): 7:23pm On Jul 13, 2016
Restructuring the country along regional or ethnic lines should solve ninety-five percent of our problems. If we continue like this, we will only be chasing our tail.
Re: After Buhari's Corruption Fight, What Next? by Izonpikin: 8:30pm On Jul 13, 2016
crixtex:

1. Removal of immunity
I support number one. ..I once created a post on that...

Remove immunity, ensure a working system etc..

That is why I laugh when Nigerians keep waiting for change when we still have faulty structures here and there ....who's gonna check mate our governors so that they are accountable to us...
Re: After Buhari's Corruption Fight, What Next? by FagsamPHP(m): 8:32pm On Jul 13, 2016
k

(1) (Reply)

Tinubu Pays N75m For Protest Against Me – Dino Melaye / . / Why Nigeria Must Not Lose The Igbos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.