Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,038 members, 7,866,934 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 08:27 AM

Why We Charged Saraki, Ekweremadu, Others To Court Over Forgery – AGF - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why We Charged Saraki, Ekweremadu, Others To Court Over Forgery – AGF (954 Views)

Forgery: Why We Dropped Charge Against Saraki, Ekweremadu, Others / Forgery: 15 Witnesses Lined Up Against Saraki, Ekweremadu, Others / Senate Forgery: AGF Orders DPP To Try Suspects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why We Charged Saraki, Ekweremadu, Others To Court Over Forgery – AGF by sharpden: 6:35pm On Jul 13, 2016
THE Attorney G‎eneral of Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, on Wednesday disclosed that the case of alleged forgery instituted against the President of the Senate, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki; the Deputy President of the Senate, Ike Ekweremadu’ and other is in the public interest.

Abubakar also said instituting the case was is tandem with his constitutional responsibility as the AGF.

Malami, who appeared before the Senate Committee on Judiciary and Human Rights, said investigation revealed that the amendment of the Senate Rules is against the Senate’s tradition of amending Senate Rules book.

Efforts by the committee to make the AGF agree with them that the issue was an internal matter, was rebuffed as Malami.
He stated that the amendment of the Rule book as it is can never be the position of the Senate because it was done through back door.

The AGF ‎said he wouldn’t comment further on the case since it has already been filed in court and suspects arraigned,‎ adding he has constitutional obligation to institute criminal case against anybody in the country.

He added that‎ the AGF has the responsibility to institute criminal charges against anybody also.

Malami said: “The issue that constitutes the basis of this invitation is a criminal case instituted against certain members of the Senate.

“It is an act that predates my appointment.

“There are series of suits.

“The date of interest is 23rd of July, 2015.

“I was appointed on the 12th of November, 2015.

“That is four months after the investigation was concluded by the Nigeria Police Force.

“I have an obligation in the sustenance of democracy to institute a legal action from an investigation that has been concluded.

“It was based on this that I took the action.

“The action was not taken to truncate any democratic process, but was taken to protect the democracy.

“There are now two pending cases in court.

“One is a civil case instituted by some senators.

“The other is a criminal case instituted by the office of the AGF.

“These two matters are subjudice.

“When a matter is before a court of law, nobody is entitled to look into it.

“I am guided by the Senate Standing Rules 53.

“One of the cases was instituted by the office of the AGF.

“It will be wrong to make any comments on a case still in court.

“The two matters are pending.

“Based on that, I will not say more.

“To my mind, the issue had been overtaken by events.”

On the reason why he did not attend past sittings of the committee to which he was invited, Malami said: “I have a tradition of honouring social invitations, much less of an institution like the Senate.

“I know what they stand for.

“My inability to come was not out of arrogance or anything.

“I was out of the country when the invitations were sent.

“The initiation behind the forgery case was taken in the interest of the public and in the interest of democracy.

“I want to state clearly that my decision was based on public interest and the aim to prevent abuse of public offices.

“The National Assembly has the powers to regulate its own procedure.

“But the basis for filing my case was that the position taken was not that of the Senate.

“The Senate Standing Rules allegedly amended in 2015 did not follow the traditional way of amendment.

“It can therefore not be the position of the Senate.

“That is where my quarrel comes in.

“If there are certain persons that did not allow the process of amending the Senate Standing Rules go through the constitutional process, we have a responsibility to act by way of initiating a criminal proceeding against those involved.

“The public interest and the need to ensure that no abuse is allowed, I have to take the step to prevent that.”

The AGF had a “secret” meeting with Saraki in his office on Tuesday evening.

http://.com/why-we-charged-saraki-ekweremadu-others-to-court-over-forgery-agf/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Charged Saraki, Ekweremadu, Others To Court Over Forgery – AGF by sharpden: 6:41pm On Jul 13, 2016
Lalasticlala
Re: Why We Charged Saraki, Ekweremadu, Others To Court Over Forgery – AGF by mrvitalis(m): 6:46pm On Jul 13, 2016
Now what will the Senate say after all the noise... . This man is too smart for them.

1 Like

Re: Why We Charged Saraki, Ekweremadu, Others To Court Over Forgery – AGF by Mynd44: 6:50pm On Jul 13, 2016
Re: Why We Charged Saraki, Ekweremadu, Others To Court Over Forgery – AGF by Biggson: 7:39pm On Jul 13, 2016
Aboki i wish to remind u very quickly that u were screened with the same standing rules that u claimed was tampered with or manipulated by d senate leadership.

So be rest assured that if at d end of d day these two guys are convicted everybody including u must resign!!!.
Re: Why We Charged Saraki, Ekweremadu, Others To Court Over Forgery – AGF by Samtob90(m): 7:58pm On Jul 13, 2016
Biggson:
Aboki i wish to remind u very quickly that u were screened with the same standing rules that u claimed was tampered with or manipulated by d senate leadership.

So be rest assured that if at d end of d day these two guys are convicted everybody including u must resign!!!.

Corrupt southerners, did the accused say the. Standing rule was not forged? The minister was screened using the constitution of the FRN not senate rule. The forged rule was used to elect your brothers.
Can you imagine your statement! Did they deny it? Southerners! Una no de shame

1 Like

Re: Why We Charged Saraki, Ekweremadu, Others To Court Over Forgery – AGF by tayejay(m): 9:03pm On Jul 13, 2016
[color=#990000][/color]
Samtob90:

Corrupt southerners, did the accused say the. Standing rule was not forged? The minister was screened using the constitution of the FRN not senate rule. The forged rule was used to elect your brothers.
Can you imagine your statement! Did they deny it? Southerners! Una no de shame

Well done jare... besides, what does it take to return back the AGF if new senate leaderships are rightly and fairly constituted. People are so used to impunity that they no longer have the sense to deduce what is right...

(1) (Reply)

Certificate Forgery: DSS drags Nine Ekiti Assembly Members To Court / Federal Allocation For The Month Of July 2016 / Dangote Refinrey Will Solve W’africa’s Fuel Supply Challenge – Ambode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.