Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,405 members, 7,815,882 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:15 PM

10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties (20738 Views)

38 FRSC Traffic Offences & Their Penalties / 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties / Traffic Offences In Nigeria And The Penalties (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties by AutoJoshNG: 5:40am On Jul 14, 2016
Ignorance of the law, they say is not an excuse. In order not to find yourself in a fix with the law enforcement officers, kindly read through the listed traffic offences in Lagos and their penalties:

1)Driving without valid driver's license: Your vehicle will be impounded. For the vehicle to be released, you have to present evidence that you have paid for a new license. You also have to pay for the vehicle's storage at the agency's facility..

2)Driving of any vehicle by persons under 18 years old: N20,000 for first time offenders and N30,000 for subsequent offenders. The vehicle will be impounded and a vehicle storage fee will be paid be its release.

3)Learner driver without permit: N20,000 for first time offenders and N30,000 for subsequent offenders. You must present evidence of payment for learner's permit and storage fee must be paid before the impounded vehicle is released.

4)Driving an unlicensed vehicle: N20,000 for first time offenders and N30,000 for subsequent offenders. You may also be imprisoned for 3 years.

5)Physical assault to a traffic officer: N50,000 and/or 6 months imprisonment.

6)Driving a right hand vehicle: N20,000 for first time offenders and N30,000 for subsequent offenders. The vehicle must be converted to a left hand drive immediately.

7)Driving without valid vehicle documents: The vehicle will be impounded. It will only be released after you present evidence of payment for the outstanding vehicle document(s) e.g vehicle license, road worthiness etc.

coolSmoking while driving: N20,000 for first time offenders and N30,000 for subsequent offenders.

9)Driving a trailer or other vehicle carrying unlatched and unsecured containers: The fine is N250,000 and the vehicle will be impounded.

10)Excessive smoke emission: N20,000 for first time offenders and N30,000 for subsequent offenders.

It will be a big relief to several Lagosians if some of these policies and penalties are implemented to the fullest especially the unlatched containers and the excessive smoke emission.

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties by Freciprocal: 5:57am On Jul 14, 2016
Nice one!

4 Likes

Re: 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties by Kenneth205(m): 6:01am On Jul 14, 2016
The sad thing is this rule is only for the common man!

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties by Kenneth205(m): 6:13am On Jul 14, 2016
GenZod:

you'll be banned if u keep spamming topics with campaign photos

Ok! Thanks dear!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties by brunofarad(m): 6:21am On Jul 14, 2016
Here to learn

1 Like

Re: 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties by lifezone247(m): 6:22am On Jul 14, 2016
Una good morning, make I concentrate on this my driving b4 them go arrest me, I will comment letter.

1 Like

Re: 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties by SmartMugu: 6:23am On Jul 14, 2016
Smoking while driving: N20,000 for first time offenders and N30,000 for subsequent offenders.

How is this a crime? Did you mean drinking while driving? Why can't a smoker smoke cigarettes in his or her own car if he or she desires? Weird. Never heard of that type of law before.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties by Anthony496(m): 6:23am On Jul 14, 2016
Ok thanks for awareness

1 Like

Re: 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties by AntiWailer: 6:24am On Jul 14, 2016
The last one is 1k for all offences.

Paid to police.

grin cheesy

That is why I tell people, if police catch u and u can not call any of ur friends in the force, no follow them to any where oooo

No dey form right cos by the time they bring out ur official fine, u will calm down but it will already be too late.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties by everystep87(f): 6:26am On Jul 14, 2016
What happen to the first offenders giving warning, rather than paying N30k. Most developed countries warned first offenders and also educate them rather than a fine in the first instance.

Nice punishment/fines sha. At least, it will take some of LAGOS mad men off the road.

1 Like

Re: 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties by sinaj(f): 6:28am On Jul 14, 2016
Hmmm thanks for d info

1 Like

Re: 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties by mfujah(m): 6:31am On Jul 14, 2016
everystep87:
oluwa o..... impounded ke... pls how much per day?

1 Like

Re: 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties by adioolayi(m): 6:31am On Jul 14, 2016
The Crazy One now Very Popular... Driving A Company Car Without LASDRI grin grin

Yes, majority of us says it's for professional drivers...but I tell you, once it's a company vehicle, most Lagos VIO no wan hear stories.... na almost #25K fine with plenty wahala...

So, just find time give unto Caesar what belongs to it ooo...2K no go kill you..to avoid stories!

3 Likes

Re: 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties by cherriton12: 6:32am On Jul 14, 2016
Nice policy...

1 Like

Re: 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties by Dexema(m): 6:32am On Jul 14, 2016
The one for containers and tankers ought to be increased 4 fold, those guys really need to be safety conscious not just believe that they can bash any car or cause accidents without any penalty.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties by emenas(m): 6:32am On Jul 14, 2016
all dis ones na story. as far a naija is concerned, jst roja police #500 and ur free to go

1 Like

Re: 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties by naptu2: 6:35am On Jul 14, 2016
SmartMugu:
Smoking while driving: N20,000 for first time offenders and N30,000 for subsequent offenders.

How is this a crime? Did you mean drinking while driving? Why can't a smoker smoke cigarettes in his or her own car if he or she desires? Weird. Never heard of that type of law before.

Two hands on the steering wheel, no distractions. Eating while driving is also an offence, so also is making a phone call while driving. (A Lagos State official once said that you shouldn't be arrested if you are doing it while the car is stationary [eg, in a traffic jam).

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties by Canme4u(m): 6:35am On Jul 14, 2016
Good.

1 Like

Re: 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties by OgidiOlu3(m): 6:36am On Jul 14, 2016
SmartMugu:

Because it's an offence to smoke in public places in Lagos and except you drive your car in your living room, you will be fined.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties by sojayy(m): 6:37am On Jul 14, 2016
Na today ?
Re: 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties by ednut1(m): 6:37am On Jul 14, 2016
I remember d day wey police catch me calling while driving as i dey try control babe. I beg tire and nearly landed in their station before dey accepted d 3k wey i get for hand. D babe later come and no show angry cry

2 Likes

Re: 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties by gbadexy(m): 6:41am On Jul 14, 2016
To a large extent, these rules are enforced except for the 9th one.
I've only seen a trailer with latched container once and it wasn't on the road.

1 Like

Re: 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties by SmartMugu: 6:42am On Jul 14, 2016
OgidiOlu3:

Because it's an offence to smoke in public places in Lagos and except you drive your car in your living room, you will be fined.
Wow. Not even a single state in the US has that type of law. Is that supposed to reduce global warming or something? Because I know smoking cigarettes doesn't cause any impairments while driving.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties by SmartMugu: 6:45am On Jul 14, 2016
naptu2:

Two hands on the steering wheel, no distractions. Eating while driving is also an offence, so also is making a phone call while driving. (A Lagos State official once said that you shouldn't be arrested if you are doing it while the car is stationary [eg, in a traffic jam).
Wow. Eating while driving is also an offence? How are we expected to eat the snacks sold on the roads in the crazy traffic with two hands on the steering wheel? Just swallow?
Who and who made these types of laws?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties by kuntash: 6:53am On Jul 14, 2016
AutoJoshNG:

5)Physical assault to a traffic officer: N50,000 and/or 6 months imprisonment.

"to a traffic officer"

what about physical assault to the driver by the traffic officer?

apparently thats what seem to be in vogue

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties by seunny4lif(m): 6:54am On Jul 14, 2016
grin grin grin grin
Smoking and driving grin grin grin
If for here you can smoking like hell when driving grin grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties by comeandmarry: 6:57am On Jul 14, 2016
My ride is fully equipped with Cams everywhere. Thick tinting, i smoke sk,straff inside,nothing dey sharpun
Na by force to stay lag,abegi

1 Like

Re: 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties by blazetitov: 6:57am On Jul 14, 2016
ednut1:
I remember d day wey police catch me calling while driving as i dey try control babe. I beg tire and nearly landed in their station before dey accepted d 3k wey i get for hand. D babe later come and no show angry cry

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties by Harmored(m): 6:58am On Jul 14, 2016
ok

4 Likes

Re: 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties by Nobody: 6:59am On Jul 14, 2016
If you have money, you don't have to worry about all these. I've being there before.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Timi's Garage, Ibadan. / Photo Of An Overloaded Vehicle In Plateau State / Italdesign, Airbus Develop Car That Can Be Airlifted Above Traffic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.