Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,156 members, 7,818,501 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:26 PM

Understanding The Epistles 2 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Understanding The Epistles 2 (257 Views)

The Epistles / End Time Epistles To Christians Out There! / Understanding The Epistles 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Understanding The Epistles 2 by EPyano(m): 8:08am On Jul 14, 2016
I started playing Piano in Church, about twenty years ago. Over the years; I've had the privilege of being in several christian denominations and listening to so many Preachers. The Message that always made me scared, was the message about "The end time" or "Rapture". Most Pastors always emphasized on the fact; "no one knows the day or hour that Jesus would come". Meaning it would take us UNAWARES. I was shocked when I finally studied 1Thessalonians 5; and I saw that, that didn't apply to Believers. 2. Learning to study in context: As already asserted in previous publications; the Epistles explain the other parts of the Bible. Points to help: i. Never quote half a verse: Quoting half a verse could alter the meaning of the verse. I've seen someone preach about "God so loved the world." and didn't complete the entire verse and said "that verse (John 3:16) tells us, God will always love the world and since He loves the world, He will never punish anyone because God is full of love." Reading the whole verse shows us that God loves the world (the human race) and made a way of escape; but, only for those who believe in Jesus. ii. Don't assume: Because of how we read the Bible or hear the Bible being taught; sometimes, we could remember a verse and don't know how it fits into the chapter where it was written and could assume we know what it means and how it was used. Example: I've seen Christians who always shout "Holy Ghost fire" (whatever that means); because Elijah called down fire to consume soldiers(2Kings 1:9-14 ). When the Bible tells us in Luke 9:54-56 , Jesus stopped His disciples(James and John) from calling down fire from Heaven. Another believer once said to me "I shout Holy Ghost fire because Bible says "Our God is a consuming fire"." That's Hebrews 12:29 and the context is referring to how God will judge those who quit Christianity; which doesn't apply to destroying those who oppose us. iii. Don't look for another verse to counter a verse you don't understand: I've always loved studying with/listening to other Christians and I've noticed that most Christians always evade verses that counter their views by quoting other verses. It's best to understand what a verse means; instead of evading it. iv. Believers are always differentiated from unbelievers: 1Corinthians 6: 9-10 "Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived! The sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, passive homosexual partners, practicing homosexuals, thieves, the greedy, drunkards, the verbally abusive, and swindlers will not inherit the kingdom of God." That's where many Preachers always stop, when they want to judge/condemn Christians who practice any of the above listed acts. Not knowing, the solution lies in the next verse; which many seldom get to: "Some of you once lived this way. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God." (1 Corinthians 6:11 NET). Hallelujah! That's the solution!! He puts them in faith. Also Romans 8:6-8 is for the human race; "The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace; the sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so. Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God." (NIV). But, verse 9 is for Christians: "You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ. Again, he doesn't leave them in doubt of their stand; he brings them into faith and makes them sure of their stand in Christ. Eisegesis and Exegesis are two important words every Bible student must know and understand. Exegesis is studying in/following the context. Trying to find out what the writers meant and how the readers understood. It involves careful objective analysis. Here, every part of the book is important and taken into consideration, the text is allowed to speak for itself and the reader does not inject his ideas into it. In Eisegesis, the reader chooses to ignore the details but, picks out some points that supports what he has in mind. The reader injects his ideas into the text; it is based on a subjective, non-analytic reading. Example: a Preacher preaching about Rapture could decide to stick to Matthew 24:36 "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." (NIV). And may choose to support that with 1Thessalonians 5:1-3 "Now, brothers, about times and dates we do not need to write to you, for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. While people are saying, "Peace and safety", destruction will come on them suddenly, as labour pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape." (NIV) While ignoring 1Thessalonians 5:4-11 which shows us a spiritual principle: "Believers are never left in confusion or doubt; but, are always put in FAITH" NOTE: Don't let anyone take you out of FAITH into DOUBT or confusion(where you become unsure of your stand in Christ). We are just who are called to live by faith(Romans 1:17, Galatians 3:11, Hebrews 10:38); stay in faith. Learning to study in context is the solution. God Bless You! www.apocalypse.pun.bz/truths-about-the-epistles-2.xhtml

(1) (Reply)

The Unlimited Power Of Joy. / Lessons In Leadership: From A Janitor, Part 1 / Youths!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.