Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,601 members, 7,809,184 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:35 AM

An Insightful Review On Jay Z’s New Single “spiritual” - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / An Insightful Review On Jay Z’s New Single “spiritual” (651 Views)

Wizkid Wins MOBO Best International Act Awards, Beats Jay Z, Cardi B, Drake / P-square Releases 'Bank Alert' Gospel Version With Gee Jay (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Insightful Review On Jay Z’s New Single “spiritual” by macquis(m): 6:55pm On Jul 14, 2016
Following the killings of Black Americans Alton Sterling and Philando Castile, Shawn Carter popularly known as Jay Z released a stirring single he titled “SPIRITUAL”.

It’s been three years since we got anything new from Jay Z, the song is Jay Z’s first as a lead artist since the release of his Magna Carta Holy Grail in 2013.

if nothing else all through these years have inspired Hov to hit the studio, the recent humiliation and massacre of blacks in America have won him over.

The song, which was released on Tidal, was accompanied by a long open letter in which Jay Z said he began writing a while ago, and considered releasing it after the 2014 murder of
Michael Brown , in Ferguson, Missouri. The letter reads thus:

“I’m saddened and disappointed in this America,” he wrote. “We should be further along. We are not. I trust God and know everything that happens is for our greatest good, but man … it’s tough right now.”

The music lives up to its name with an opening spiritual skit:

“And it says, now the works of the flesh are manifest

Meaning…the things that are in the sinful nature
They always come to the surface

And when they come, when they come to the surface

They come to the surface as demons…”

The opening hook also addresses the issue of police brutaliy on young Black Americans:

Yeah, I am not poison, no I am not poison

Just a boy from the hood that

Got my hands in the air

In despair don’t shoot

I just wanna do good, ah

The above lyrics depicts a scenerio in America where a young black American pleads with a white police officer by explaining he has done no harm (poison) and shouldn’t be gunned down.

Above all its amazing to witness an A-list artist like Jay Z using his music as a medium to address societal ills and as a weapon to fight injustice, unlike what we have here in Nigeria.

Nigerian revolutionary Fela Anikulapko Kuti who pioneered the Afrobeat music genre considered music as a medium to address societal ills and used his music as a weapon. Its just a pity that the so-called New Generation Nigerian Music Artistes who claim to follow the lead of Fela have lost their way, releasing songs that add no value to society or help repair societal damages.

If an Artiste like Jay Z could be overly concerned about the security and lives of his black folks, then the Average Nigerian should have a rethink and consider this question: Do these artists i would throw huge amounts of money on just to watch their shows give a Bleep about my welfare and security ?

For years now Nigeria has been battling with several issues in both the security and economic sphere. What have our beloved artists done about it ? Nothing ! No one is asking them to start distributing money, but their voices on behalf of the poor and afflicted would definitely make a difference. Afterall, their voice counts. All these artists ever do is promote themselves and not the needs of Nigerians whenever they hook up with politicians, and it’s so sad.

Source:
https://blarckbillboard./2016/07/14/an-insightful-review-on-jay-zs-new-single-spiritual/

Re: An Insightful Review On Jay Z’s New Single “spiritual” by Aristo3146(m): 8:13pm On Jul 14, 2016
Nigerians too have their version of Jay Z's "spiritual" It goes like this... " You don pass me spiritual konji" grin

3 Likes

Re: An Insightful Review On Jay Z’s New Single “spiritual” by saintdennis(m): 10:32pm On Jul 14, 2016
Crappy write up... is the streaming FREE?
Is the proceeds going to jayz, tidal or charities?

Gullible nigerian.

If u know how half the crap policemen go through in USA u will respect them.

The dude had a GUN (sterling) yet he was resisting arrest? Why? The other dude had a GUN, told the policeman THAT he had a gun, then started REACHING stating u wanna get ur wallet to show ur permit?

Go and check out statistics of whites fatally shot by police, then check out latino's, then check out blacks...suddenly it's a race thing.?

I bumped hip hop steady, 98% of my playlist Is rap and it encourages violence, gangsterism, misogyny etc and it's an accurate portrayal of America's black population.
Violent, baggie wearing pant-sagging set of people who love using foul language.

ALLlivesMATTER. Blacks in usa should grow up.
Re: An Insightful Review On Jay Z’s New Single “spiritual” by IAMMUIC: 10:53pm On Jul 14, 2016
saintdennis:
Crappy write up... is the streaming FREE?
Is the proceeds going to jayz, tidal or charities?

Gullible nigerian.

If u know how half the crap policemen go through in USA u will respect them.

The dude had a GUN (sterling) yet he was resisting arrest? Why? The other dude had a GUN, told the policeman THAT he had a gun, then started REACHING stating u wanna get ur wallet to show ur permit?

Go and check out statistics of whites fatally shot by police, then check out latino's, then check out blacks...suddenly it's a race thing.?

I bumped hip hop steady, 98% of my playlist Is rap and it encourages violence, gangsterism, misogyny etc and it's an accurate portrayal of America's black population.
Violent, baggie wearing pant-sagging set of people who love using foul language.

ALLlivesMATTER. Blacks in usa should grow up.

Bros nawah for you oh! person settle down write making sense music review and you dey call am crap. God go help u sha.

Whether proceeds from streaming the song goes to Jay Z, Tidal or Charity organizations dat one no concern anybody. What's important is dat he's concerned about the plights of his people just like Fela and addresses societal injustice through his music.
Re: An Insightful Review On Jay Z’s New Single “spiritual” by saintdennis(m): 11:11pm On Jul 14, 2016
IAMMUIC:

Bros nawah for you oh! person settle down write making sense music review and you dey call am crap. God go help u sha.

Whether proceeds from streaming the song goes to Jay Z, Tidal or Charity organizations dat one no concern anybody. What's important is dat he's concerned about the plights of his people just like Fela and addresses societal injustice through his music.

what is jayz's contribution to society (through charities?) pls Google it

Infact @ a time he was criticised for his lack of philanthropy! I can't really remember his reply.

What is jayz's contribution to the culture?? I bump Jay z I know he's frigging lyrics.

Why do u think hip hop demonises drake? Cos he doesn't rap about guns and drugs and shii

If it's kanye u talking about I can as well support him...he's always been pro-black from day one. Jay-z is just a business man #simple

Jayz owns roc nation...it wouldn't cost him anything to record the song and put it out FREE and channel proceeds (from mb streams. Since it seems to be exclusive to tidal) to charities!

If it's not free then it's just superficial. And I hate fake love bro
Re: An Insightful Review On Jay Z’s New Single “spiritual” by IAMMUIC: 11:25pm On Jul 14, 2016
saintdennis:

what is jayz's contribution to society (through charities?) pls Google it

Infact @ a time he was criticised for his lack of philanthropy! I can't really remember his reply.

What is jayz's contribution to the culture?? I bump Jay z I know he's frigging lyrics.

Why do u think hip hop demonises drake? Cos he doesn't rap about guns and drugs and shii

If it's kanye u talking about I can as well support him...he's always been pro-black from day one. Jay-z is just a business man #simple

Jayz owns roc nation...it wouldn't cost him anything to record the song and put it out FREE and channel proceeds (from mb streams. Since it seems to be exclusive to tidal) to charities!

If it's not free then it's just superficial. And I hate fake love bro

I do understand where you are coming from bro.

But at least by voicing out, not just him alone but other celebrities both blacks and whites the issue will be reviewed and properly addressed. That's the whole point.

Afterall Jay Z could have sang about something more commercial but he chose to do a song that reflects the plights of Black Americans and Police Brutalization. And trust me, that's something.
Re: An Insightful Review On Jay Z’s New Single “spiritual” by saintdennis(m): 12:05am On Jul 15, 2016
IAMMUIC:

I do understand where you are coming from bro.

But at least by voicing out, not just him alone but other celebrities both blacks and whites the issue will be reviewed and properly addressed. That's the whole point.

Afterall Jay Z could have sang about something more commercial but he chose to do a song that reflects the plights of Black Americans and Police Brutalization. And trust me, that's something.

Guy pls go online and check out extreme violent clips on youtube about robberies in USA. overwhelming majority are blacks
Go to prison overwhelming majority are blacks and latinos
Go to gangs overwhelming majority are blacks and latino's (their initiation involves murdering/maiming/attacking a random stranger...imagine?!)

Truth is the black-american image must change, a policeman sees the average black as a gang-banger and do u blame them? Who started "baby mama" craze? Who started selling &killing themselves over "crack cocaine"?

I'm a black, a Nigerian like you and i'm telling u THOSE OFFICERS WERENT RACIST. They were scared and overreacted. And should be punished nothing more. Blacks should be enlightened on how to deal with this situations.

if things are to change THEN blacks have to change.
Same Jayz that is releasing the record will still drop a record or feature on a record praising drugs, sex, gangster life etc

Abeg I look at the March and shake my head, i'm the whites are wishing they'd deported ALL the blacks back to africa...they are a nuisance.

Africa is a good example of black society.

Making a song portraying the victims (especially that sterling) as a saint is useless and annoying

(1) (Reply)

New Video: 2baba - Oya Come Make We Go [official Video] Ft. Sauti Sol / Checkout This Omo Alhaji "Dance" Video By Me And My Friends / Download And Listen To My Second Single Titled "Denial" ft Ricmasha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.