Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,184 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:44 PM

How To Use Google Mapmaker - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How To Use Google Mapmaker (10970 Views)

How To Use Google Chrome Browser Hidden Anti Virus To Scan Your Laptop +photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jul 15, 2016
Raypawer:
must we always work for the whites? and this one for free, mtchew, no matter how you preach this, google or any other foreign coy cannot get the complete map of nigeria, not until our local software coy does that!

it must not always be a foreign coy!
Racist. angry

2 Likes

Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by FastestTech(m): 3:56pm On Jul 15, 2016
fratermathy
Thats great of you
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by FastestTech(m): 3:58pm On Jul 15, 2016
Boldwinner:
Google is really building a very strong and big database. Google has a database for all the languages and now they're working on getting very accurate maps. Don't be surprised about how powerful the internet will soon become in a very short time.. all in the hands of Google.

The one who has control over online information has so much power in this our era.

Thats the power of research
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by FastestTech(m): 3:59pm On Jul 15, 2016
TheRealAdonye:
I learnt how to do this in 2013.
Google made us work around Akure putting up Landmarks for them.
wonderful
so where are you now?
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by Raypawer(m): 4:51pm On Jul 15, 2016
Sorry To fail you, my phone never does that, am telling you as a geek, and even if it does, thats theft, that for me to leave my job just to work for whites for free!

rodeo0070:

Funny enough, Your smartphone does this for them without your knowledge sometimes.
Sure they might not have the complete map on Nigeria but its improved upon on daily basis real time. The address confidence on map in most places in Nigeria has improved a lot compared to what we use to have like 5 years ago. Take a trip on Google Earth timeline platform to confirm this...
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by Raypawer(m): 4:56pm On Jul 15, 2016
I Get Free Job For You, No Payment, U Go Work?
Teempakguy:
Racist. angry
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by DisGuy: 5:07pm On Jul 15, 2016
Raypawer:
Sorry To fail you, my phone never does that, am telling you as a geek, and even if it does, thats theft, that for me to leave my job just to work for whites for free!

lol theft? are u not using gps on your phone. u also download google maps for free

they dont want to to work for free. you input places in your locality on the map if and when you can its not compulsory

its for humans like you actually. think about it withiut leaving bodija in ibadan you know what the white house looks like. without leaving california or rural kent I should be able to have an idea what akure. yankari looks like or how to get there

there's a reason why Africa is called the dark continent - very difficult to get information about it -apart from having insufficient electricity
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by derecho(m): 5:09pm On Jul 15, 2016
TheRealAdonye:
I learnt how to do this in 2013.

Google made us work around Akure putting up Landmarks for them.
But dem pay too na
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by derecho(m): 5:20pm On Jul 15, 2016
Now u are talking cos google makes a lot of Money from these data- na big data dem dey call am abroad
fratermathy:

Lol. It is a charity work. Think of it that way. Plus you are also helping to improve Nigeria on the internet.

However, there are some perks that may come from it other than self-satisfaction.

1. You can be selected for one of these numerous Google scholarships or programmes in Nigeria and beyond.
2. If you are found to be consistent, you can write a proposal to Google containing a big project of map building and street view in your area and if the proposal is accepted, you will be paid for the duration of the project (you don hammer be that o), you will be given a Google $1000+ plus 360 degree camera.
3. You can be employed by Google if they see your worth
4. Google can pick you for any Nigerian project whatsoever since you are trusted

Other benefits abound.
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by rodeo0070(m): 5:25pm On Jul 15, 2016
Raypawer:

Raypawer, No one is arguing here. I'm not a Geek like you but one thing I know for sure is that once you have location services settings on on your smartphone, it automatically tracks and tags your location. We are all here to learn.

The tool is old—Google introduced it back when Latitude was still a thing. Even though Latitude is long gone, the tool lives on. It's important to remember that all of this is entirely opt-in. When you set up a new Android device, or install any Google app on your device, you're prompted to share location data. If you say yes, your information goes into this database—which is also where apps like Google Now look to tell you what the weather is where you are, bring up your boarding pass when you arrive at the airport, or display currency and language conversion cards when you land in a foreign country.

You can verify this online about Google tracking services.

Even though this poses privacy concerns, it has its own advantages in the areas of security, phone theft especially (If your smartphone is stolen, for example, there are online services that can pick up the exact location using of its location tracking features to find and recover it.

Read this please: http://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/05/politics/air-force-isis-slowpoke-twitter/

About working for the Whites, no one is against you or any Nigeria or Africans from coming up with a solution like this. I believe it can be done. And what do you mean by whites please, if I may ask? Or do you mean Foreigners?
You will be surprised that those you call "Whites" are your fellow Igbo, Yoruba or Hausa brothers/sisters. They may be part of those that developed the platform. We've seen what people can do irrespective of their race.

2 Likes

Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by matrixme(m): 5:45pm On Jul 15, 2016
God forbid!!! Google engages 1 in 5 people or so according to statistics, all doing several activities that puts money into their pocket. For every Tecno you buy, Google search or Gmail etc, one director in USA is smiling, yet you still want to do professional slave when you can rather start your own mapping platform that Google could buy because of rich local knowledge. I'll rather volunteer to map houses for Short staffed and underfunded book haram, lol

1 Like

Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by DisGuy: 5:54pm On Jul 15, 2016
rodeo0070:

About working for the Whites, no one is against you or any Nigeria or Africans from coming up with a solution like this. I believe it can be done. And what do you mean by whites please, if I may ask? Or do you mean Foreigners?
You will be surprised that those you call "Whites" are your fellow Igbo, Yoruba or Hausa brothers/sisters. They may be part of those that developed the platform. We've seen what people can do irrespective of their race.

the irony is if raypawer. ikechukwu or an ibrahim creates an app like this: he's going to upload it onto google play or apple store to get maximum income, he's likely to want the price tag in $$$ too and not the local app store who'll probably hijack his product or fail to remit sales to him
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by rodeo0070(m): 5:59pm On Jul 15, 2016
DisGuy:

the irony is if raypawer. ikechukwu or an ibrahim creates an app like this: he's going to upload it onto google play or apple store to get maximum income, he's likely to want the price tag in $$$ too and not the local app store who'll probably hijack his product or fail to remit sales to him

Rightly said Brother...

I don't know if you drink but come and join me for this comment!

Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by shumuel(m): 11:11pm On Jul 15, 2016
fratermathy:
Did you know that there is a platform called Google Mapmaker where you can actually contribute to Google Maps by adding missing roads, streets, schools, towns, cities, etc.? Most times we access Google Maps and complain that the map is inefficient or incomplete. Well, say no more! I bring to you, the easy to use Google Map Maker. The mapmaker is easily accessed via http://google.com/mapmaker while google maps itself can be accessed via http://maps.google.com or http://google.com/maps or by downloading the app on android/iOS.

With the map maker, you can:

1. Edit the names of roads, streets, towns, communities, etc that are not well spelt
2. Add missing roads, streets, areas, landmarks, etc that are not present
3. Review the edits of others and okay them
4. Earn trust on Google and stand a chance to win any prize if the opportunity comes up
5. Add pictures to Google street view and enhance the map
6. Add businesses and shops to the map (good for advertising products)
7. Add street numbers, house numbers, etc

To use Google maps, you must have a Google account. The site is fairly easy to use and master. Once you login into the mapmaker, just add a neighbourhood (a place you know extremely well) and you'll see the recent edits/additions in that place. Do well to confirm the edits of others that you are sure of and you can also make yours.

Let us come together and build a perfect map that can be integrated into any GPS accurately. As it is now, the Nigerian map on Google is just about 40-50% complete. If we start to partake actively, we can make it better.

If you've made any edit that you want others to confirm, you can paste the edit link here and I'm sure those who are familiar with the place can click the link and confirm the changes.

My main neighbourhoods are Warri, Abraka, Okpara-Inland, Uyo, Calabar, Lagos, Benin, Asaba, Sapele, Ilorin, Omu-Aran, and some other areas. Although I'll add more as I go on.

Are you already a Google mapmaker? Tell us more about your experiences and neighbourhoods cool

Lol grin it funny, because i was on Google map today, found my area though, but it was cumbersome, the major street was name something else ''the old name'' sad
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by DisGuy: 12:05am On Jul 16, 2016
rodeo0070:

Rightly said Brother...

Sure bro,

Raypawer, abeg bring two zobo cider with ice grin
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by Nobody: 12:15am On Jul 16, 2016
Raypawer:
I Get Free Job For You, No Payment, U Go Work?

Google maps is not a job. Guy.

It's quite literally, putting your country on the map. angry

2 Likes

Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by Raypawer(m): 6:57am On Jul 16, 2016
u never got my point, these tech giants are not patronized in some advanced country, eg russia, they use yandex, china will never use facebook, why cos they patronize their own, nd these foreign coys get all ur data, eg android, just to say less, rodeo7 no location service is set on my phone, i knew what i was saying, even at some point i joined bing reward (from pc) which is for those staying at US, dont be carried away by those whites bro!
think of ur own!
rodeo0070:

Rightly said Brother...

Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by Raypawer(m): 7:05am On Jul 16, 2016
Lol, hit one of those aboki's spot, since u drink a lot, i don't sell those

by the way matrixme is saying something, have read it before u finish that zobo!

DisGuy:

Sure bro,

Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by rodeo0070(m): 2:54pm On Jul 16, 2016
Raypawer:
u never got my point, these tech giants are not patronized in some advanced country, eg russia, they use yandex, china will never use facebook, why cos they patronize their own, nd these foreign coys get all ur data, eg android, just to say less, rodeo7 no location service is set on my phone, i knew what i was saying, even at some point i joined bing reward (from pc) which is for those staying at US, dont be carried away by those whites bro!
think of ur own!

I now get your "geek" mindset.

Listen, the blockage (not "banning", as the use of Facebook in China is not illegal) began several years ago in conjunction with riots in Xinjiang. Twitter became blocked at about the same time. The government alleged that these social networking platforms were being used to coordinate protests in Xinjiang, and to spread rumors harmful to the state. In reality, these social networking platforms were being used by a small handful of people to help get out news and photos to the West regarding the riots and the Chinese government's poor handling of the situation. It's not just Facebook,but all the foreign websites with User Generated Contents in Chinese are blocked in China.

Chinese government wants to control the Chinese speech on the internet,if it considers something "harmful",there will be someone call the webmaster to delete the contents,or they will just plug off the power. For a website with a server located overseas like Facebook,the only thing the government do is blocking it.

However,there's an exception,Wikipedia,which is not blocked wholly,but just sensitive entries.

In Russia, it was because of non compliance majorly. Read more here: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/22/russia-will-block-google-twitter-and-facebook-if-they-withhold-blogger-data

One other thing that contributed to the popularity of Yandex is that they were the first to launch traffic information on their maps, which is still much more accurate and advanced than anything else available on the Russian market and good for searching Russia languages.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against local development.

About the location service thing, you said it in the first place as if your phone is without such facility. Read what i typed, "once you have location services settings on on your smartphone, it automatically tracks and tags your location." Switching it off does not mean such cannot be done when it is on.

And please what do you mean by "Whites" exactly?

@DisGuy I've not tried the Zobo Cider...
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by rodeo0070(m): 2:58pm On Jul 16, 2016
DisGuy:

Sure bro,

I've not tried the Zobo Cider with Ice before...
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by MOORCHMOORE(m): 3:29pm On Jul 18, 2016
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by DisGuy: 3:49pm On Jul 18, 2016
rodeo0070:

I've not tried the Zobo Cider with Ice before...

Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by zealz4u(m): 4:57pm On Jul 21, 2016
[b][/b]how true
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by akin1991: 9:20pm On Jan 09, 2021
Get d best GIS (Geographic information system) training..u will ive d opportunity to learn different things like NDWI(normalized difference water index),NDVI (Normalized difference vegetation index),Time mapping, 3d mapping, georeferencing,digitizing,Geocoding,watershed delineation, stream extraction, digitizing in google earth, image classification, land cover mapping, land change modeler and celulla automata/Markov chain for land cover forecast/prediction, creation of web map(Qgis2web),map publishing (Qgis cloud),preparation of data,buffering analysis, service area analysis, cost path,location allocation analysis, contour mapping etc..... U will also have d opportunity to use different GIS software's such as ArcGis,Qgis,surfer,idrisi terrset,Global mapper,smartGIS, SAS planet,map puzzle etc... Online training 7k, physical training 40k

(1) (2) (Reply)

BIOS Password Zinox INEC Computers / Shopping Websites That Ship / Dell Inspiron 6400 In Good Perfect Condition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.