Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,161 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:07 PM

Disney Showcases First Ever True African Film-Queen Of Katwe - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Disney Showcases First Ever True African Film-Queen Of Katwe (3083 Views)

Disney Is Developing of the First African Princess Movie / Nigerian Film Industry Vs South African film Industry / What We Hate About Nigerian Movies By East African Film Maker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Disney Showcases First Ever True African Film-Queen Of Katwe by fanficgirl(f): 6:01am On Jul 15, 2016
A Disney movie called Queen of Katwe is set to be released Friday September 23. The trailer is already out. This movie was actually shot in Africa (South Africa and UGANDA). It is based off of the book that talks about a Ugandan Chessplayer named Phiona Mutesi (she's amazing). It has all African dark skinned actors, including our favorite, Lupita Nyong'o and David Oyelowo. Some don't like this movie already because from the trailer it mostly depicts the slums of Uganda and doesn't really showcase the nicer parts (that were yet to see since only a trailer).
Here is the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4l3-_yub5A
Despite early reservations I hope all Africans tune in to watch it. It is an inspiring story that already made me cry.
What do Africans think?
Front page please let word get out!

1 Like

Re: Disney Showcases First Ever True African Film-Queen Of Katwe by Kenneth205(m): 6:04am On Jul 15, 2016
Nice cheesy
Re: Disney Showcases First Ever True African Film-Queen Of Katwe by fanficgirl(f): 6:07am On Jul 15, 2016
Kenneth205:
Nice cheesy
Yes, my brother. I cried while watching the trailer. I can't wait. Hope you will be tuning in too na?
Re: Disney Showcases First Ever True African Film-Queen Of Katwe by Kenneth205(m): 6:11am On Jul 15, 2016
fanficgirl:

Yes, my brother. I cried while watching the trailer. I can't wait. Hope you will be tuning in too na?

Definitely!
Re: Disney Showcases First Ever True African Film-Queen Of Katwe by alberto2k(m): 6:26am On Jul 15, 2016
Who Disney epp?? undecided        
Re: Disney Showcases First Ever True African Film-Queen Of Katwe by fanficgirl(f): 6:28am On Jul 15, 2016
Kenneth205:

Definitely!
Great!! Spread the word out, I don't want it to flop. If it suceeds maybe we can get better movies that puts Africans in positive light.
Re: Disney Showcases First Ever True African Film-Queen Of Katwe by fanficgirl(f): 6:30am On Jul 15, 2016
alberto2k:
Who Disney epp?? undecided        
Bad belle! This will be the first true African movie shown to Westerners that isn't about colonization and exploitation angry. It might be Nollywood's big break as people will be more exposed to African films and will be interested in African Cinema!
Re: Disney Showcases First Ever True African Film-Queen Of Katwe by alberto2k(m): 6:34am On Jul 15, 2016
fanficgirl:

Bad belle! This will be the first true African movie shown to Westerners angry. It might be Nollywood's big break as people will be more exposed to African films and will be interested!

I'm not bad belle-ing, i only asked u a simply question and you're here ranting like i made a hate statement on the Disney or it's movie undecided

or u think you love movies more than i do? undecided

Wooos swerve with your Boosit O jare angry   
Re: Disney Showcases First Ever True African Film-Queen Of Katwe by fanficgirl(f): 6:43am On Jul 15, 2016
alberto2k:

I'm not bad belle-ing, i only asked u a simply question and you're here ranting like i made a hate statement on the Disney or it's movie undecided

or u think you love movies more than i do? undecided

Wooos swerve with your Boosit O jare angry   
Oh sorry my brother, you just soundd very angry and unimpressed with the movie. Forgive me.
Re: Disney Showcases First Ever True African Film-Queen Of Katwe by alberto2k(m): 7:03am On Jul 15, 2016
fanficgirl:

Oh sorry my brother, you just soundd very angry and unimpressed with the movie. Forgive me.
   apologies accepted cool   
Re: Disney Showcases First Ever True African Film-Queen Of Katwe by acenazt: 7:10am On Jul 15, 2016
MR op kuku say Tailor or traitor. Na trailer u dey call trail or SMH
Re: Disney Showcases First Ever True African Film-Queen Of Katwe by fanficgirl(f): 7:38am On Jul 15, 2016
acenazt:
MR op kuku say Tailor or traitor. Na trailer u dey call trail or SMH
No vex, thanks for pointing out mistake.

1 Like

Re: Disney Showcases First Ever True African Film-Queen Of Katwe by Originalsly: 11:28am On Jul 15, 2016
fanficgirl:
Some don't like this movie already because from the trailer it mostly depicts the slums of Uganda and doesn't really showcase the nicer parts (that were yet to see since only a trailer).
[b] Some don't? ...or is it you that don't like the movie already because of the said reason? You did well to bring this to our attention.... but why counter that by making this discouraging statement instead of an encouraging one? But if one listened to the storyline....the movie would not be entirely shot in the slums.
Re: Disney Showcases First Ever True African Film-Queen Of Katwe by fanficgirl(f): 4:55pm On Jul 15, 2016
Originalsly:
[b] Some don't? ...or is it you that don't like the movie already because of the said reason? You did well to bring this to our attention.... but why counter that by making this discouraging statement instead of an encouraging one? But if one listened to the storyline....the movie would not be entirely shot in the slums.
Nah, i'm fine with it. I don't think it ill be all slums but I read the reactions from Uganda and some are very agnry. I wanted to leave the part out but I felt it would be disingenuous. The movie has to take part in the slums since its a true story.
Re: Disney Showcases First Ever True African Film-Queen Of Katwe by Originalsly: 8:06pm On Jul 15, 2016
fanficgirl:

Nah, i'm fine with it. I don't think it ill be all slums but I read the reactions from Uganda and some are very agnry. I wanted to leave the part out but I felt it would be disingenuous. The movie has to take part in the slums since its a true story.
Hmmm....ok!...this is the one occasion where the ghetto must be highlighted.... or how else would the viewers know what she had to overcome?

1 Like

Re: Disney Showcases First Ever True African Film-Queen Of Katwe by Nobody: 9:29am On Jun 09, 2017
I watched it on one of the TV stations here. May be it was the pirated version before official release. They were speaking three word sentences in between many awkwardly long poses. Don't like the work. Nollywood could have done a better job angry

(1) (Reply)

Watch 76' Movie FREE Here / Jumong Vs Game Of Throne / Best Korean Series And Movies You Cant Get Tired Of Watching

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.