Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,204 members, 7,822,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:55 AM

Sanusi Wants Flexible Exchange Rate System Fully Implemented - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Sanusi Wants Flexible Exchange Rate System Fully Implemented (8750 Views)

Exchange Rate As Of Today / Forex: CBN Throws Naira Into Open Market, Nullifies N197/$ Exchange Rate / CBN Adopts Flexible Exchange Rate Policy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sanusi Wants Flexible Exchange Rate System Fully Implemented by Adesiji77: 8:02am On Jul 15, 2016
The Emir of Kano and former Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Governor, Alhaji Muhammad Sanusi II, has said the flexible exchange rate regime recently introduced by the central bank is not being fully implemented, just as he warned that targeting a pegged rate will not resolve the current forex problem.

He urged the central bank to allow the forces of demand and supply to determine the true value of the nation’s currency, in line with the flexible exchange rate policy.

He said this at the Risk Managers Association of Nigeria’s (RIMAN) annual conference in Lagos yesterday.

“There is a fantastic document by the central bank on the flexible exchange rate. We need to implement that document properly. So long as the implementation is not total and faithful to the document itself, you would have residual market risks.
“You have to let the market decide where the naira is going to be, to start with, before inflows come in and then when the inflows are in, you have an appreciation of the naira.

“So you have to live with a devaluation to N300/$1 plus and then it will firm up to N270/$ or N280/$1 or whatever. But so long as you target a rate of N280/$1, you are just moving the peg,” he argued.

He, however, pointed out that with the new forex policy, the central bank has been able to reduce the arbitrary opportunities in the market as well as improved its liquidity situation.

Speaking further on the current economic downturn and comparing it to the 2008-2009 situation, he said the volatility in the commodities’ market was worse then, compared to the current situation.

But the Emir of Kano said the country was able to mitigate the shocks due to the savings in the excess crude account (ECA) at the time.

“The situation going on today is very sad because we ought to have learned from our past experience. In the global crisis of 2008, which started from the financial markets and then hit the commodities market, the Nigeria financial system was badly affected, precisely for reasons similar to the reasons we have today.

“But 2008-2009 was much less severe than 2015-2016 and the reason was that prior to 2008, the government of former President Olusegun Obasanjo had built up buffers in the excess crude account and therefore the economic management authorities, both monetary and fiscal, did have some flexibility in their pursuit of countercyclical fiscal and monetary policies.

“It was possible to draw on a huge pool of reserves to mitigate the impact of a collapsing currency and to continue to fund imports and to also fund an expansion of government spending.

“In 2009, the CBN and the Minister of Finance took the decision that the oil price shock would be absorbed by nominal variables. We preferred that the exchange rate and nominal prices took the shock than the real economy.

“But what seems to have happened in 2015 is that the government took the decision to allow the real economy take the shock, while protecting nominal variables in terms of the exchange rate and that was the wrong choice to make.
“You do not absorb the real shock of the real economy, it is bad economics.

“As a country, in the years 2010 to 2014, we had a golden opportunity to have learned from the experience of 2008-2009, so that when oil prices went up to prepare us for when the prices went down, but we refused to learn and we refused to listen which is the situation that this administration has inherited – oil prices have gone down and there are no savings.

“The problem as I see it is that very difficult decisions have to be taken. Some of them have already been taken. But all the money we spent on subsidy was keeping the refineries open in Europe.

“If a small fraction had been spent on building domestic refineries, we would be totally independent of the external world for imports. We would be exporting refined crude. The economy would have been immune significantly from the shocks of falling crude oil prices,” he said.

The emir also urged the federal government to create an enabling environment to encourage foreign and local investors.

He said: “We are today in a situation where clearly the government does not have money. Oil prices have dropped, oil output is low because the Niger Delta Avengers is targeting the energy security of the country and the revenues of the government.

“At this point in time, the government needs to make it very clear that it recognises that economic development and investments in infrastructure can only come from the private sector.
“The risk we run is that we may send the wrong signals to the private sector because some statements that are made would suggest that the private sector is not welcomed.

“And if you don’t have the private sector committed to investing – local direct investment and foreign direct investment in the economy – the government simply cannot do it alone. It needs them to come in and build refineries, roads and invest in other critical infrastructure,” he said.
http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/07/15/sanusi-wants-flexible-exchange-rate-system-fully-implemented/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sanusi Wants Flexible Exchange Rate System Fully Implemented by Arian11(m): 8:07am On Jul 15, 2016
A man with sense has spoken

4 Likes

Re: Sanusi Wants Flexible Exchange Rate System Fully Implemented by veekid(m): 12:42pm On Jul 15, 2016
Too much talks; less action
Re: Sanusi Wants Flexible Exchange Rate System Fully Implemented by Mopolchi: 12:42pm On Jul 15, 2016
okay, after you follow scatter naira na now you want flexibility? You better control your emirate or we dethrone you.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sanusi Wants Flexible Exchange Rate System Fully Implemented by HarbySloy(m): 12:43pm On Jul 15, 2016
Let me park here...
Re: Sanusi Wants Flexible Exchange Rate System Fully Implemented by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jul 15, 2016
Re: Sanusi Wants Flexible Exchange Rate System Fully Implemented by Abrahamtaylour: 12:44pm On Jul 15, 2016
Same thing I told Buhari when he flashed me and I called back

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sanusi Wants Flexible Exchange Rate System Fully Implemented by royalfamily(m): 12:45pm On Jul 15, 2016
Who has two BlackBerry charger should lend me one please.
Re: Sanusi Wants Flexible Exchange Rate System Fully Implemented by mn09abk: 12:48pm On Jul 15, 2016
We need man back atleast for 2 years....abeg drop the turban and go back to safari suits that Godwin no just wan Win
Re: Sanusi Wants Flexible Exchange Rate System Fully Implemented by sofadj(m): 12:50pm On Jul 15, 2016
I think its time for Emefiele to be replaced

3 Likes

Re: Sanusi Wants Flexible Exchange Rate System Fully Implemented by emerged01(m): 12:52pm On Jul 15, 2016
Wetin we no go hear? Let them continue we dey hear.
Re: Sanusi Wants Flexible Exchange Rate System Fully Implemented by tammie24: 12:53pm On Jul 15, 2016
He should take several seats

1 Like

Re: Sanusi Wants Flexible Exchange Rate System Fully Implemented by worlexy(m): 1:10pm On Jul 15, 2016
We hope the power that be would listen
Re: Sanusi Wants Flexible Exchange Rate System Fully Implemented by Pesuzok(m): 1:18pm On Jul 15, 2016
sofadj:
I think its time for Emefiele to be replaced
You want my people to cry marginalization?

2 Likes

Re: Sanusi Wants Flexible Exchange Rate System Fully Implemented by oluwagream: 1:23pm On Jul 15, 2016
This man right here, is a sound economist. He is right about everything. It almost felt like macroeconomics lectures again....almost forgot I was on Nairaland. Brothers and sisters , we have brains in this country. Authoritatively, we can say the PDP regime was able to bring together a vibrant economic team compared to other regimes. Although, dem chop money no be small. But their economic team, from d minister of finance, CBN gov, Trade and Investment, Etc.. were brilliant. It looks to me like the present economic team only read "Economics key point for secondary school" and thought they were intellectually grounded, but they are not.

Things must change

17 Likes

Re: Sanusi Wants Flexible Exchange Rate System Fully Implemented by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jul 15, 2016
does he still want the job?
Re: Sanusi Wants Flexible Exchange Rate System Fully Implemented by oluwagream: 1:30pm On Jul 15, 2016
Pesuzok:
You want my people to cry marginalization?
Well they might replace him with another southerner. It really doesn't matter.

1 Like

Re: Sanusi Wants Flexible Exchange Rate System Fully Implemented by temptnow: 1:31pm On Jul 15, 2016
My own is buhari will never have that oil. Period
Re: Sanusi Wants Flexible Exchange Rate System Fully Implemented by oluwagream: 1:32pm On Jul 15, 2016
temptnow:
My own is buhari will never have that oil. Period
OK Mr Tompolo

1 Like

Re: Sanusi Wants Flexible Exchange Rate System Fully Implemented by bsaying(m): 1:33pm On Jul 15, 2016
V
Re: Sanusi Wants Flexible Exchange Rate System Fully Implemented by bonechamberlain(m): 1:33pm On Jul 15, 2016
These people are using innuendos to tell the govt that's it's policies are rubbish but would the illiterate ruler understand.

1 Like

Re: Sanusi Wants Flexible Exchange Rate System Fully Implemented by rose54321: 1:40pm On Jul 15, 2016
hmm, i fully agree with Sanusi this time around.
The Floating Exchange Rate policy which was fully welcomed has to be fully implemented.

Just look at remittances from the Diaspora, it was approximately 20 billion in 2015; since the policy the official rate rose above $300 per dollar, encouraging most Nigerians outside Nigeria to send money home.
I am certain 2016 remittances might almost double this.
Re: Sanusi Wants Flexible Exchange Rate System Fully Implemented by chimauga(m): 2:24pm On Jul 15, 2016
This very scammer called APE APC

3 Likes

Re: Sanusi Wants Flexible Exchange Rate System Fully Implemented by mujaya1(m): 2:25pm On Jul 15, 2016
Please buhari replace this emefele with ignorance almajiri from north and see how this problem will be tackle.
Re: Sanusi Wants Flexible Exchange Rate System Fully Implemented by elbangeez: 2:38pm On Jul 15, 2016
This man is a wasted talent. He should be in economic team list not emirs list
Re: Sanusi Wants Flexible Exchange Rate System Fully Implemented by Enesi13: 3:03pm On Jul 15, 2016
:why do people who comment on Nairaland easily abuse either a certain ethnicity, religion, or region? i dont get it. dont tell me that most nairalanders lack simple courtesy. you abuse buhari and jonathan sadly, their ward or children will never do such. this shows that irrespective of their flaws they are better than your father and their children are better than you. so why do you complain when people who are obviously better are ruling?

1 Like

Re: Sanusi Wants Flexible Exchange Rate System Fully Implemented by TomLepskie(m): 3:08pm On Jul 15, 2016
From what i read here the govt of pmb needs to be applauded rather than booed cuz most of the points Sanusi made here are already being implemented by the Buhari govt. We all know that a significant effort has been made to bring back the three refineries to life, we all have seen them work at different capacities too, if gej with all the wasted resources made half the effort the present govt hv done we would hv had a better Nigeria today.
With the celebrated looters undermining the efforts of the present govt by sponsoring the NDA not only to cripple the economy but also to frustrate the efforts of the govt in the area of electricity and refineries by cutting gas supply to the turbans as well as cutting crude oil supply to the refineries. Truth be told, if i score Geg's govt 50% i ll score the present govt 75%.sanity is also gradually returning to the system even though we can't see it due to the enormous hardship we are currently experiencing.

1 Like

Re: Sanusi Wants Flexible Exchange Rate System Fully Implemented by OXYZ: 3:14pm On Jul 15, 2016
Sanusi,always on point,with sound understanding of the workings of the economy.I wish we could have the calibre of people like Sanusi or Jega from nothern region leading this country in the future.
Re: Sanusi Wants Flexible Exchange Rate System Fully Implemented by mikeapollo: 3:45pm On Jul 15, 2016
Sanusi had advised the CBN in late 2015/early 2016 to devalue the Naira but Emefiele rejected the idea.
Even though it is not always a good idea to devalue the urrency, the CBN waited for too long until a huge scarcity of dollars set in which increased and worsened the spread between the official rate (N199) and the black market (N350) before they eventually decided to float the Naira.
If the Naira had been devalued much earlier to around N220-230, the disequilibrium would not have been so pronounced. Now with the official and black market rates at N281 and N350 respectively, most import-dependent companies will see their import bills rise by at least 50-80%

1 Like

Re: Sanusi Wants Flexible Exchange Rate System Fully Implemented by mickey45: 3:59pm On Jul 15, 2016
TomLepskie:
From what i read here the govt of pmb needs to be applauded rather than booed cuz most of the points Sanusi made here are already being implemented by the Buhari govt. We all know that a significant effort has been made to bring back the three refineries to life, we all have seen them work at different capacities too, if gej with all the wasted resources made half the effort the present govt hv done we would hv had a better Nigeria today.
With the celebrated looters undermining the efforts of the present govt by sponsoring the NDA not only to cripple the economy but also to frustrate the efforts of the govt in the area of electricity and refineries by cutting gas supply to the turbans as well as cutting crude oil supply to the refineries. Truth be told, if i score Geg's govt 50% i ll score the present govt 75%.sanity is also gradually returning to the system even though we can't see it due to the enormous hardship we are currently experiencing.
U neva chin... chin
Re: Sanusi Wants Flexible Exchange Rate System Fully Implemented by mickey45: 3:59pm On Jul 15, 2016
TomLepskie:
U neva chin...
TomLepskie:

U neva chin...

(1) (2) (Reply)

The story behind MMM Zimbabwe and Nigerian non-participants' intents. / Afren Begins Oil Drilling In Iraq / Oil Production Cost Per Barrel Down To $20, Says NNPC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.