Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,831 members, 7,813,751 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:41 PM

Why Tinubu Is Not As Powerful As He Seems To Be! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Tinubu Is Not As Powerful As He Seems To Be! (840 Views)

2019: Why Tinubu Shouldn’t Depend Heavily On Buhari / Buhari: Why Tinubu Is Better As An Ally Than Opponent / Bola Tinubu Is No God – Melaye (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Tinubu Is Not As Powerful As He Seems To Be! by abubaka101: 1:52pm On Jul 16, 2016
There's an ongoing thread discussing why and how Tinubu got and maintains his "political clout".
For the record, am not saying Tinubu is not powerful. Rather what I want to open up is that the power of this "Jagaban" is grossly exaggerated. Let's begin!
His Exaggerated Power is Fueled By The Victory of the APC
When the APC won Tinubu used propaganda with his media influence via the Nation Newspaper, Faaji FM, the tv station TVC and even social media to flog the Jagaban term down our throats. Yet, the victory of the APC was not he's alone. Other powers in the North (Kwankaso, Atiku and Tambuwal, etc) and even in the South South (Ameachi, Timipre Silva etc), and even in the SW (Obasanjo, etc) played key roles in that victory. Some other powerful individuals who stay away from the media also played key roles. That was why when the National Assembly principal officers elections were held last year, none of Tinubu's "candidates" emerged victorious. And boy was he pissed! Thus the root cause of the media trial of Saraki and co. I'll write on this issue later.
Tinubu wanted the nation in his palm. But Buhari stayed out of the NA elections by travelling frantically as usual. But still Tinubu couldn't get it cause it was bigger than his clout.
He tried to wade his influence into making a House of Reps member, representing Ikeja constituency, become the Governor of Kogi State when the leading aspirant died mysteriously! This attempt was thwarted by "orders from above" as it was claimed.
Same thing goes for the ministerial list, he wanted more of his own, but national politics involves plenty of compromises and negotiations, something he had never been used to since he played godfatherism.
Moving on...

Tinubu's influence lies strictly in the South West :
Tinubu has been the predominant power in South Western politics since 2007. However, every attempt to spread his influence nation wide before 2014 had failed woefully. His party had never been strong in the senate/House of Representatives. His party had very few victories outside the SW. He knew this all too well. And all the political calculations he had made before 2014 shows that he knew that if he wanted to capture the center he needed strong support from the strongest periphery: the north. Thus in 2007, he fielded Atiku against Yaradua. He failed woefully. Again in 2011, he fielded the uninfluential Nuhu Ribadu against the PDP. He lost woefully again. But in 2011, the CPC was became a significant power in Nigerian politics after Buhari left the ANPP in 2010. And with him left a host of ANPP party whigs. And if you understood the CPC well you'd have known that a host of its members were northerners.
Tinubu realized that Buhari was his only option to capture the center. So in 2013 he teamed up with Buhari and his guys. This alliance saw the merger of three parties controlling two strongholds: CPC in the north, and ACN in the SW.
While the ANPP, the third party in that Alliance controlled limited parts of the North and some part of the South East.

3. Tinubu is an ardent lover of Propaganda and media distortion I want us to understand something about how Tinubu operates politically. He relies strongly on the media to project his reach for the people. Now he doesn't say much to the media directly, but heavily selects and distorts what stories come out about him and others.
For instance, he so easily flooded the media with news stories about how Fashola was corrupt, all in a bid to stop him from being made a strong member of Buhari's govt since it was obvious Buhari strongly liked Fashola. Ambode didn't have the balls to release such stories about Fashola on his own; but yet the stories emanated from the government of Ambode.
And do note that in Nigeria anybody who controls the media is extremely powerful and can send us going the wrong direction easily just by headlines and imagery. Tinubu has this; but not for long I hope. Sahara Reporters have fast gained ground as the most reputable media house Nigeria has ever seen since the time of Dele Giwa.

And that's all I have to say. And my closing remarks is to remain critical of any story you hear about Nigeria and any Nigerian especially politicians. They're all selfish and try to galvanise the country for themselves and their families.

Abi lalasticlala what do you think?

http://criticalnigerian..com/2016/07/why-tinubu-is-not-as-powerful-as-he.html
Re: Why Tinubu Is Not As Powerful As He Seems To Be! by olaniyi0(m): 2:05pm On Jul 16, 2016
what's this thrash all about
Re: Why Tinubu Is Not As Powerful As He Seems To Be! by LFJ: 2:11pm On Jul 16, 2016
abubaka101:
There's an ongoing thread discussing why and how Tinubu got and maintains his "political clout".
For the record, am not saying Tinubu is not powerful. Rather what I want to open up is that the power of this "Jagaban" is grossly exaggerated. Let's begin!
His Exaggerated Power is Fueled By The Victory of the APC
When the APC won Tinubu used propaganda with his media influence via the Nation Newspaper, Faaji FM, the tv station TVC and even social media to flog the Jagaban term down our throats. Yet, the victory of the APC was not he's alone. Other powers in the North (Kwankaso, Atiku and Tambuwal, etc) and even in the South South (Ameachi, Timipre Silva etc), and even in the SW (Obasanjo, etc) played key roles in that victory. Some other powerful individuals who stay away from the media also played key roles. That was why when the National Assembly principal officers elections were held last year, none of Tinubu's "candidates" emerged victorious. And boy was he pissed! Thus the root cause of the media trial of Saraki and co. I'll write on this issue later.
Tinubu wanted the nation in his palm. But Buhari stayed out of the NA elections by travelling frantically as usual. But still Tinubu couldn't get it cause it was bigger than his clout.
He tried to wade his influence into making a House of Reps member, representing Ikeja constituency, become the Governor of Kogi State when the leading aspirant died mysteriously! This attempt was thwarted by "orders from above" as it was claimed.
Same thing goes for the ministerial list, he wanted more of his own, but national politics involves plenty of compromises and negotiations, something he had never been used to since he played godfatherism.
Moving on...

Tinubu's influence lies strictly in the South West :
Tinubu has been the predominant power in South Western politics since 2007. However, every attempt to spread his influence nation wide before 2014 had failed woefully. His party had never been strong in the senate/House of Representatives. His party had very few victories outside the SW. He knew this all too well. And all the political calculations he had made before 2014 shows that he knew that if he wanted to capture the center he needed strong support from the strongest periphery: the north. Thus in 2007, he fielded Atiku against Yaradua. He failed woefully. Again in 2011, he fielded the uninfluential Nuhu Ribadu against the PDP. He lost woefully again. But in 2011, the CPC was became a significant power in Nigerian politics after Buhari left the ANPP in 2010. And with him left a host of ANPP party whigs. And if you understood the CPC well you'd have known that a host of its members were northerners.
Tinubu realized that Buhari was his only option to capture the center. So in 2013 he teamed up with Buhari and his guys. This alliance saw the merger of three parties controlling two strongholds: CPC in the north, and ACN in the SW.
While the ANPP, the third party in that Alliance controlled limited parts of the North and some part of the South East.

3. Tinubu is an ardent lover of Propaganda and media distortion I want us to understand something about how Tinubu operates politically. He relies strongly on the media to project his reach for the people. Now he doesn't say much to the media directly, but heavily selects and distorts what stories come out about him and others.
For instance, he so easily flooded the media with news stories about how Fashola was corrupt, all in a bid to stop him from being made a strong member of Buhari's govt since it was obvious Buhari strongly liked Fashola. Ambode didn't have the balls to release such stories about Fashola on his own; but yet the stories emanated from the government of Ambode.
And do note that in Nigeria anybody who controls the media is extremely powerful and can send us going the wrong direction easily just by headlines and imagery. Tinubu has this; but not for long I hope. Sahara Reporters have fast gained ground as the most reputable media house Nigeria has ever seen since the time of Dele Giwa.

And that's all I have to say. And my closing remarks is to remain critical of any story you hear about Nigeria and any Nigerian especially politicians. They're all selfish and try to galvanise the country for themselves and their families.
Have a good day!

EVIDENCE OF JOBLESSNESS
Re: Why Tinubu Is Not As Powerful As He Seems To Be! by OBAFEMIawolowo: 2:25pm On Jul 16, 2016
Tinubu is powerful only in the west, to an average northerner or SEner/SSner, tinubu is an ordinary politician. Obasanjo, babangida and tambuwal are nationally more powerful than tinubu but the problem we have here is that yoruba people want to force that impression down the throat of every Nigeria, tinubu has no say nationally.
Re: Why Tinubu Is Not As Powerful As He Seems To Be! by henchamb(m): 2:36pm On Jul 16, 2016
writer wrote out of hatred. this could be seen where he called tinubu a boy
he is not popular yet he distorted pdp plan in 2011 with Tambuwal
he produced the highest number of governors, nass members into Apc merger
he bank rolled Apc activities
his candidate defeated atiku's candidate in adamawa state Apc primary.
his media houses gave Apc a facelift
all media houses in Nigeria made him the man of the year for 2015 yet he is overrated
Pls tell me one Godfather or politicial group that have produced the personalities that Jagaban has produced.
before you called Yoruba I'm proudly igbo so stfu
Re: Why Tinubu Is Not As Powerful As He Seems To Be! by abubaka101: 2:41pm On Jul 16, 2016
henchamb:

I didn't call him a boy, he's the subject of my discussion and I avoided insults or tribalism or the likes. You just didn't get the statement correctly. It reads "boy, was he pissed".
I don't disrespect people in such critical writeups.
Re: Why Tinubu Is Not As Powerful As He Seems To Be! by abubaka101: 2:46pm On Jul 16, 2016
henchamb:
he is not popular yet he distorted pdp plan in 2011 with Tambuwal
he produced the highest number of governors, nass members into Apc merger
he bank rolled Apc activities
his candidate defeated atiku's candidate in adamawa state Apc primary.
his media houses gave Apc a facelift
all media houses in Nigeria made him the man of the year for 2015 yet he is overrated
Pls tell me one Godfather or politicial group that have produced the personalities that Jagaban has produced.
before you called Yoruba I'm proudly igbo so stfu
Ok good to know that you wont start tribal bigotry. So we can converse in a civil manner.
Now you've cited very good reasons why he is very powerful. But like I said, he uses propaganda to enhance his reach in the eyes of the masses.
In the case of Tambuwal, it was more about Tambuwal's ambitions than Tinubu's. The PDP restricted him but he wanted more. So he crossed carpets.
He didn't bankroll APC activities alone and that's an obvious fact; And you obviously know this so let's not bring that up.
Yes, his will trumped Atiku's in Adamawa, though am not very familiar with that situation.
Any mention of media is just propaganda. So I won't argue that with you.
And also note: I admire his style. His influence in the SW is immense and the fact that he has never been ambitious enough to want to be president is one reason why I respect him to in some ways over Awolowo. Even though Awo had been a very great states man, his ambition to lead the nation first in the 60s then again in '79 and '82 I feel was terrible for political development in Nigeria. If only Awo had groomed politicians the way Tinubu has been doing, other politicians would have emulated and Nigeria would had a very vibrant political circle.
Re: Why Tinubu Is Not As Powerful As He Seems To Be! by ndidibabe(f): 2:57pm On Jul 16, 2016
Hmm

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Journalist Wins BBC World News Award (PICTURE) / Edo Polls: APC Candidate, Godwin Obaseki’s Brother Turns Against Him / Military Action In Niger Delta: Guard Your Utterances, MEND Cautions Buratai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.